Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: Forbidden Muse Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jun 13, 15 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 06/13/2015 at 9:32:13 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: Forbidden Muse Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jun 13, 15 3:53 AM
I beta tested this game a few months back. I remember saying in the survey that the best thing the devs could do to improve it was to get rid of the doll helper. They haven't. And wasn't there another game about Calliope in the past few months?

The graphics are pretty enough, if a touch grainy here and there. The HOS are mostly straightforward and nothing out of the ordinary. I only came across one puzzle which was very easy; there are collectibles in the form of olive branches, some of which are hidden in vases and others which are in plain sight. I didn't notice a map or the SG but that was my own fault; my daughter rang and we talked for so long the demo expired as I forgot to close the game down! But I knew enough about the game from the beta to form an opinion.

The helper is the deal-breaker for me in this game. If your idea of fun is collecting clothes for an annoying doll (that sits on screen waving her arms) and then dressing her up in outfits to perform tasks, then go ahead and buy this game. I'm pretty sure any male player won't and neither will I, not even as an SE. And whether you dress the doll or she dresses herself, it's still doll-dressing and still pointless. Why does she have to change clothes anyway??

ETA: No technical issues in the time I played; desktop running Win7 Pro 64-bit. And I forgot to mention the man (was his name Owen?) with the English accent. Ridiculously over-done 'posh' voice; no-one I can think of speaks like that.

Edited on 06/15/2015 at 2:17:58 AM PST

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: Forbidden Muse Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by mamajay on Jun 13, 15 4:08 AM
Thank you for the reminder, Angelfish

I tried the beta of this game too, and was so annoyed by the way the helper had become an irritating, giggling Barbie doll bimbo (amongst other annoying things, but she was by far the worst imho), that I couldn't even finish the beta/survey!

Sooo, I guess I won't bother trying the game again. It's such a shame, as the first one wasn't too bad.

Anyhoo, as always, try it for yourself, and make your own decision

Cheers,

Jen

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: Forbidden Muse Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by geri_mac on Jun 13, 15 4:41 AM

Edited on 06/13/2015 at 1:13:52 PM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Jun 13, 15 8:23 AM
Didn't even finish the demo, game could be good but the annoying doll spoiled it, if she would just sit there, no problem but she yawns and moves which is too distracting....

Edited on 06/13/2015 at 8:23:53 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: Forbidden Muse Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by 9otters on Jun 13, 15 9:16 AM
How unfortunate. Especially since the art and graphics were good. There were some fun "cursor surprises" too. Many things you click on have unexpected animations. I liked the last Labyrinths and have played it several times. This one is WAY too easy. Didn't need the strategy guide or the map.

The dress-up doll helper is SUCH a turn-off. Dress her in different outfits to do a variety of "helper" jobs. Go to a gallery of photos to see her in the various outfits. My goodness. The last time I checked, I was an ADULT.

Collectible olive branches in plain sight. Use them to change the look of the map area and zoom-in frames. We're told in the beginning to break any vase we see to find the collectible coins. Use them to buy furnishings for a room.

Some good ideas here, overshadowed by SIMPLE gameplay and NEEDLESS extra add-ons. I had an issue with a jumpy, stuttering cursor but it doesn't matter because, for me, this one is a "no buy", CE or SE.

Edited on 06/13/2015 at 10:32:46 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 13, 15 9:16 AM
This game is awful IMO. The story is strange and having to dress up a barbie (Harlequin) doll was silly. I didn't even play with Barbie dolls when I was young. You have to dress her in different outfits before she performs an activity lol. There are also animal helpers along the way.

The graphics are good but I wish the Devs would do away with the blues and purples. The HOS were interactive but mostly junk piles of stuff. Puzzles were fairly easy but nothing new or creative.

I thought the last Labyrinths of the World, Shattered Souls was a much better game and I quite enjoyed that one.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jun 13, 15 9:31 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Labyrinths of the World: Forbidden Muse Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Labyrinths of the World: Forbidden Muse Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Jun 13, 15 9:32 AM
Well I am on the same page with the rest of you. My friend Mhatfie says it all and expresses my feelings for the game.

The devs did themselves a great disservice by taking what could have been a very good game and then adding costume changes for Ms. Harlequin. Although the Harlequin was present in the previous game, we certainly didn't have to help her primp for each task she needs to perform. That was just way too over the top even for me.

Forbidden Muse is most likely the first CE game that I will not purchase. I have others that I don't like (and that was discovered after buying the game) but right from the first ten minutes of gameplay, I knew that this game could stay in the BFG vault. I have coupons for a couple of CE games and I won't even consider using one on this game - guess that says it all!

Edited on 06/13/2015 at 9:35:58 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 13, 15 4:22 PM
Hello friends. Well, we have number 2 in this series. Yep, got the first one, but honestly can't remember that much about it. This one has wonderful colors, very clear and true. Graphics are very well done and animation movements are fairly smooth and life-like. Game play was very good, except for a freeze in one spot. I exited out and back in and it worked fine after that. Music was rather soothing and nice. Voice overs are great, but then again, I love a good accent. They are well done and didn't sound like someone was just reading a script. You can click through dialog without eliminating the entire story, if you read faster than they speak. I did think it a bit odd that out of the blue, you get a phone call giving you an assignment and if you do well, you will become a member of an agency. Is that how it works? Hmmm...

HOPs are interactive silhouettes and nothing new. They are clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. Puzzles are very easy and again, nothing new or exciting. Hint system works quite well and does transport to longer locations. Didn't even look at the SG, but I seldom do anyway. You have a creepy "Harlequin" doll that follows you around and waves frequently, but only when she can do something to help you out. You find outfits to dress her in and without them, you will not be able to complete a particular task. This was silly and not necessary to this game.

Collectibles: You find vases to break to collect coins to purchase interface decorations. Why, they don't do anything to enhance the game. You also find olive branches, which will allow you to purchase items in Calliope's boudoir...yay. Disappointing and boring. There seems to also be 3 items you will find as you progress, that will help you do things in the game, e.g. pallet that brings pictures to life, which in turn help you accomplish a task.

This was an extremely short demo, seemed shorter than the beta. There is absolutely no challenge in this game, which is not always necessary for me, but it didn't really have anything else either. I think the best part of this game is Calliope. She is quite evil and very well done, but I don't get the "collecting of Calliope's essence." Did I miss an explanation in there somewhere? I obviously did not collect any during the demo. Beginners might find this one challenging, and this is the only reason why I recommend the CE. Personally, I do not feel this is CE worthy and will put it in my puddle and wait for the SE version. I'll give it a second look then and decide if I want it or not. Right now, it's on hold.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

Cyndy63
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndy63 on Jun 13, 15 4:27 PM
Tried the Demo but I will have to agree with the rest, the doll was annoying. The storyline was okay and the HO were simple but still enjoyable. I like these type of games as a way to relax. I would have bought the game but not with that doll being too overly cute and perky. Not trying to offend but wasn't that doll a bit too much of a blonde sterotype? I did like the first in this series but this one no and no.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 14, 15 2:43 AM
I don't know why everyone is talking about "dressing up" the doll. You don't. You find an outfit, which you put into zoom-mode, and then add the harlequin doll, so she gets dressed in that outfit for the one task ahead.

Perhaps those who don't like this forget that the Imp (in whatever series he played in, forget now) also got dressed up in different outfits in the last game, I believe it was, so that he could help us with different things. So what does it matter if it's the imp or a doll?

Personally, I find the doll cute. I like her. What I don't care for this time round is finding coins to decorate the user interface - looks flashy enough as it is - and finding olive branches to furbish the boudoir, which looks not half as nice than the one in the last game.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Jun 14, 15 6:59 AM
Yuk!!!
Can't stand that Barbie thing....dressing her for each activity? I think the monkey should have kept her IMHO!
Possibly the shortest time I've ever demoed a game, and it is a complete no buy, even with an offer going on
Come on Big Fish, let's have something worthwhile to spend our dosh on....I'm replaying old games all the time now as the recent offerings have been pretty poor

barbdesc
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by barbdesc on Jun 15, 15 1:18 AM
Another disappointing game, I have 2 game credits that I am trying to spend before they go out of date (6 months) but alas no success, what is going on Big Fish??? The games seem t be getting worse.... dressing up dolls Please I am too old for that distraction. My credits expire tomorrow so after 6 months I cannot spend them, so I have to compromise and buy something or you will take them from me. Mind you I did buy them with my own money they wern't a reward !!!!!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: Forbidden Muse Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by steve_san on Jun 15, 15 6:00 PM

Most Linear Labyrinth in the World: Forbidden Snooze

Setting: you are an investigator trying to solve a case in order to join an unnamed organization. The case is the loss of artistic talents in an unnamed European city because Calliope's essence has been split into three parts and scattered.

The quality of artwork is very high, the style is extremely colorful, but at least some pink seems to be present in every scene. The voices are well acted and there is actual lip-synching to the dialog. There is a simplistic transportable map.

Difficulty settings (they could have skipped this part, but more on that later) are the usual three plus Custom. Sparkles and map indicators can be turned off.

There are a few gadgets. During the trial you'll use a "magic palette" gadget, and there are two more you'll obtain later on in the game. There is also a helper in the form of a harlequin. Her tasks are linked to the outfit you'll find for her shortly before using.

Game play is some of the easiest I have seen this year. I was flying through the trial. I had 46 minutes left including time spent investigating the extra content for this review. Some of the HOS are silhouette, others are riddles. All are easy. Strategy guide? Should not be needed. Puzzles are also very simple. The most difficult one in the trial was a number puzzle in which the two sides had to have an equal total. For you Match-Three fans, there is that option.

CE extras are a Boudoir which can be decorated (collect olive branches) and coins collected to enhance the player interface. Bonus Level, strategy guide and what I consider pseudo extras like wallpaper. There is also a gallery of 14 images to collect.

None of the above extras appealed to this reviewer. In fact, very little in this game appealed to this reviewer. The play is very linear. The harlequin and her waving I could have done without. The puzzles are simple. The HOS are simple. The story is not very complicated either. At best, I could see this appealing to beginners or inexperienced players just dipping their feet in the pond. Oh, and players who like to decorate boudoirs whomever they may be.

Two

Edited on 06/15/2015 at 6:05:13 PM PST

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 5, 15 6:32 AM
Review after completing main game.

I liked this game. I also like this developer, but, as a disclaimer, I am on a big indie developer support kick. Independent developers give us games that will look and play a bit differently than the big 3. It is important to me that their voices be heard in this game genre. But about this particular game:

Some have expressed disdain for the harlequin helper. I don't mind helpers of any nature. I can't get that worked up over the issue. This one sits in the corner and behaves as any other helper in casual games. From previous posts, it seemed like there was a dress up ritual, but it is really more of a find an object, (her costume), put her in it in a zoomed inventory window and that's it. The developers actually bought a doll and took real life pictures in all the outfits for her in weird homemade and photo-shopped backdrops. Personally, I thought it was funny and I enjoyed it. If you hate the helpers, you won't be happy with it, but it really isn't much different than any other game with a helper if you don't mind them.

Puzzle / HOP difficulty ranged from medium to easy in this game. I find that developers tend to start their games a bit easier and then crank it up a little after the "demo" portion of the game.

I liked the collectibles though they are pretty easy to find. Smashing things in game life makes me happy and if I get some coins to boot, all the better. And I am one of "those" people that like decorating boudoirs, and so that made me happy as well.

What I really look for in a game is good length, some challenge and an unquantifiable feeling of enjoyment as I play. No game is perfect and waiting for one means not playing any games. So I play. This game definitely fits my criteria and I had fun with it and am very happy I purchased it.

Go to: