Edited on 06/16/2015 at 5:57:09 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Riddles of the Past here

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jun 16, 15 5:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Riddles of the Past here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Riddles of the Past.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

marypenn
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by marypenn on Jun 16, 15 9:42 AM
I quite enjoyed this game. I had no tech problems and I did not notice any spelling or grammatical errors. How refreshing! The puzzles were usually simple but thee were several that I really had to think about. Well worth a coupon.

annetterider
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by annetterider on Jun 16, 15 1:23 PM
marypenn wrote:I quite enjoyed this game. I had no tech problems and I did not notice any spelling or grammatical errors. How refreshing! The puzzles were usually simple but thee were several that I really had to think about. Well worth a coupon.

I agree with you about this one. But since you bought it up about the "spelling or grammatical" errors maybe you should take a look at yours.
I am saying this with a huge smile on my face no malice intended just a bit of fun.

marypenn
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by marypenn on Jun 16, 15 7:15 PM
I wrote that before my morning coffee and didn't use spell check. Oops.

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Jun 17, 15 5:40 AM
annetterider wrote:
marypenn wrote:I quite enjoyed this game. I had no tech problems and I did not notice any spelling or grammatical errors. How refreshing! The puzzles were usually simple but thee were several that I really had to think about. Well worth a coupon.

I agree with you about this one. But since you bought it up about the "spelling or grammatical" errors maybe you should take a look at yours.
I am saying this with a huge smile on my face no malice intended just a bit of fun.

I agree with you both. Let's keep the fun going. You should check your spelling annetterider.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jun 17, 15 7:26 AM
This is a nice change; an SE that's actually worth paying money for rather than using a PCC!

This game has no frills but does include a map which not only shows tasks but transports as well. There are no HOS of the standard type; think of the 'Treasure Seekers' series and you will know exactly how the item parts to be found are displayed (I wouldn't call it a FROG exactly; image an alarm clock and you have to find the hands, the bell, the numbers etc., whereas the classic FROG like Dark Parables would have you finding fragments of a single piece (like the bell for example). Some items are laying around waiting to be picked up (so click on everything) but most are found using the 'circle-type' display. Not always obvious either; I played on expert mode and there was nothing to indicate an item to be collected. In fact there were no sparkles or glints anywhere.

The puzzles were simple but one or two had me wondering what I was meant to do, as the instructions were really basic. I figured them out eventually but it was nice to have to think for a change! As for the hint button, it's a variation on one of those nodding dogs you used to see in the back of car windows! It only stops moving if you use a hint; I found after a while I could ignore it but in the past I've propped a DVD case over the bottom of my screen to cover distracting hint buttons!

I really liked this game and I want to see if Emily finds out about her past. It's a buy for me

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Jun 17, 15 8:38 PM
The game was very short. After the demo ended, I played about a hour longer before the game was over. It was interesting enough to use a PCC on but it was definitely what I would call a "short and sweet" game.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 19, 15 12:18 PM
After I got past my first few minutes of confusion and caught on to how to play this game I was totally mesmerized by it. The more I played it the more I loved it and couldn't stop playing. A truly unique game. At first I just marked it as "old school" due to the cartoon like graphics and the "fan" inventory, but it proved to be much more.

The transporter map was a must and it was great. Hint and skip recharged fairly quickly (that snuffling dog drove me nuts though). Puzzles had minimal instructions which really caused you to use your head, but once you figured it out, they were easy. You had to be very observant collecting inventory items, some which fell into your inventory bar and others which filled the fans.

Hard to explain this game...but it was great. I did have to skip a couple of puzzles though. Voice-overs were OK...a bit funky at times, but OK. Interesting story. Despite the cartoon graphics and "old school" look (but was it?) I give this a 5 out of 5 for pure fun gameplay with an interesting kick. I had no tech issues with it at all. I used a coupon but I would not have felt cheated if I had paid full price.

I haven't read the other reviews since I don't like being influenced by them, but somehow I feel like I might be alone on this!

Edited on 06/19/2015 at 12:23:42 PM PST

zuliker
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

A nice relaxing game.

[Post New]by zuliker on Jun 22, 15 9:53 PM
The good: The storyline and the graphics are very nice. The background music is soothing and enjoyable and the puzzles aren't overly difficult. The scenes are nice and bright and the objects aren't too difficult to find.

The not-so-good: The voice acting isn't the best and the hint doggie has a constant animation which is very distracting.

Overall, it's a good game and I'm happy to add it to the collection.

adinah
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

Superb----far better than the reviews

[Post New]by adinah on Jun 26, 15 6:40 AM
I have been waiting for a long time for games like the old Crystal Portal series. I loved the idea of the "parts of objects" puzzles. I knew just what I was looking for and got to use it right away. I tried not to use the hints because then it was too easy. I hope we get more of these types of stories.....real adventures where you care about the people involved.

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Jun 26, 15 5:52 PM
No......You're not alone 'Bessiegirl'.......I too am really enjoying this game.

It's a welcome change from what we've been offered lately as far I'm concerned.
I quite like the way the HO scenes are done.....and you do have to keep your eyes open because not everything comes in the 'Circle display'.

I find the story to be interesting and wanting to move forward to see how it all plays out.

So far....I've had no problems with the game on my Windows 7 Laptop.....everything seems to be running smoothly.

Thank you Developers and Big Fish Games for this one!

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 6, 15 9:40 PM
Review after completed game.

Wow! This is a blast from the past. I say this even though this game has a 2015 copyright. For people relatively new to casual gaming, this is how many casual games were made way back when. And people liked them! And so did I.

The graphics are simple but very clear. The lip-synching is a tad off, but to me is not a deal breaker by any stretch. The English and grammar are good and you get a lovely journal to page through as you play.

There are no HOPs per se, you just travel through the game finding objects in the scenes to put together in order to build/fix things and advance.

I had fun with it and I liked the story. I thought it was a bit different from the norm - especially the villain and his motivations. No demons or witches - just a lovelorn evil genius. [highlight to read]

I walk my games, read the journal and no hints or skips and it took me a bit over 3 hours to play so I think a good length for an SE. Especially if you have a coupon or a good sale going, I think it would be hard to pass up.

I keep wanting to call this a simple game, but do not wish to be misunderstood. I mean simple in the sense that it is just a game that takes you through a story without a lot of the flashiness that comes with the big budget games. I do enjoy the big budget ones, but I also enjoy a quiet stroll as well, and this is what this game felt like to me. I highly recommend this one.

Oh yes - as people have pointed out, there is a big red dog hint button. He can be ignored. I actually felt sorry for him because sometimes it looked like he was shaking and I was taking this big scared puppy everywhere I went. Also not a deal breaker for me.

Edited on 07/06/2015 at 9:42:04 PM PST

pinkwitch12
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by pinkwitch12 on Jul 16, 15 5:54 PM
If you build it I will come....I really enjoyed the change of pace and the fact that everything is built right there, with so few mind boggling games as fillers. No HOPS at all, just find it in the scene and maybe one or two scenes over from there. Not sure how the cute little doggie fits in, as he was just there......you do not find or help him or anything else. personally I found him a bit distracting because he moves when not asked to help.

This developer should consider doing it again. This is a refreshing style. Not long enough for me, but I am a rabid gamer. The music was sweet, and I have nothing but good to say about this drawing style either.

A great find worth enjoying.

Go to: