Strixi
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Strixi on Nov 27, 10 10:50 AM
I really enjoyed this game. Loved interacting with the actors (even Cooter's gaseous emissions). Loved solving the puzzles. Loved Pippi's Joe Pesci demeanor. Loved the graphics. Loved the music. Loved all of it.

Until I got to the cannons.

Oh, I know what to do, but as soon as I get three in a sequence, the ball-bearings pop back out. As it is so utterly time-consuming and boringly, frustratingly labor-intensive and there is no skip option, I'm ready to walk away from the game entirely.

There should always be a skip option. Always.

brillke
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by brillke on Nov 27, 10 11:30 AM
BF should have learned from the Coke-Cola companies New Coke fiasco...don't mess with a good thing.

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Nov 27, 10 12:00 PM
edmee1947 wrote:wel,well,well!disapointed
no skip buttons,tasks which have nothing to do with story,(my god,who can have this strange idea to fill up a vase with oil to make a key to float??????-i'm sure it is impossible,iron heavier than oil!-and turn over the vase ,is it not a good idea?)
and who rank a light bulb among child toys????
after one hour playing, i stop playing because i was bored!
three stars for me,far below baskerville or phantom of the opera!

You don't "fill up the vase with oil". If you pay attention to what actually happens in the picture, it's obvious that what you do is put oil on the mouth of the vase. That makes it slippery, so you can slide your hand in and out without getting stuck. (The dialog says that's what you're doing, as well.)
As far as turning the vase upside down...I can tell you from personal real-life experience that it can be extremely difficult to get a old-fashioned key like that out of a vase (or any narrow-mouthed vessel). It's easy to drop it in, but when you flip the vase upside down, it slides on the curved sides, turns lengthwise, and gets stuck across the mouth.
Yes, I really did drop the key to my grandmother's closet into a vase when I was a kid, and we had a terrible time getting it out again! We ended up doing almost exactly the same thing you do in the game.. except my Mamgi used soap rather than oil.

As far who puts a light bulb with a kid's toys... sometimes kids pick up odd objects to play with. And sometimes parents are in a hurry, set something down, and forget about it.

pemerald46
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

hammer in the house

[Post New]by pemerald46 on Nov 27, 10 12:02 PM
I am having problem finding the hammer to get all the nails --- Help

[Post New]by GhostBunny18 on Nov 27, 10 12:08 PM
I love MDF but this one... I think you over-hyped it too much...

Pros:
Real actors, great, I like that.
Cartoony personalities, nice.
Hidden object scenes are still good.
I actually liked the amount of adventure added in.

Pro/Con? up to you!
more adventure
Not as creepy as the other games...

Cons:
Puzzles, mostly anoying ones that asks you to do reptitive tasks. ESPECIALLY the cannons... really repetitive.
Some plot problems... I can't imagine people like them to have a kid, even if they do, the kid will be more likely to be a bit nutty.
preview... seriously, dads dont put their kids to sleep by bouncing them, that wakes them up!
The endish bit where someone keeps nagging at you. Can you give me a mute button? I really wanted to enjoy the music and atmosphere sounds but with that pushing and pushing? No thanks. I wanted to stop playing right there and then! You should make that "someone" prompt you if you over click or if you zone too quickly not every bloody few seconds! Better yet completely mute them while a puzzle is running! I'm such so dumb, i did mute all the music and everything but didn't unmute so the bit where you meet Mr Crown was completely silent. *sigh* please, build up atmosphere yes but don't anoy us with some anoying voice.
Why would Sara called Dennis, his fake name while on the phone? tsk tsk

Technical issue?
I Played through the game but it didn't unlock my bonus stages, why??

Well, thats about it from me and I definitely won't be looking forward to the next game as much. The cons greatly outweighed the Pros. I'm a little disappointed.
I had a bit of fun with this, some of the jokes made me giggle but this just isn't as impressive as the others.

Try again, don't give up! We all know you have it in you!
xXx

nawlinslady35
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nawlinslady35 on Nov 27, 10 12:11 PM
My biggest problem with this game is that they protray us living in south Louisiana as dumb backwoods hillbillies.I know it is just a game but I still felt insulted.I felt like there was too much hand holding.I like to figure things out on my own.I did love all the sound effects.I also loved that u could choose the snarkiness or others.I always get a great laugh out of that.I am going to go back and play again and give it another chance

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Nov 27, 10 12:17 PM
GhostBunny18 wrote:I love MDF but this one... I think you over-hyped it too much...

xXx

Quite frankly, I think it was the fishies that did the overhyping. For months now there has been constant posting in a speculation and ponderings thread about this upcoming release and I think people got their expections so high that no matter what MCF released, it would have fallen short of those expectations. I know a lot of posters were hoping to see some of the characters from other MCF rear their ugly heads in this one and it didn't happen.
I've played the game through now and I feel it was worth every penny. It wasn't Dire Grove, it wasn't Return to Ravenhurst, but then it wasn't supposed to be. It was original and certainly better that 99.8% of the HOG games you find here.

[Post New]by wyldedragonfly on Nov 27, 10 12:58 PM
I have been trying to read all of the reviews and I guess I don't understand half of "less than glowing" posts.

I don't see any hand holding. There are objectives to complete - but there are so many scenes that have to be figured out on your own (I've got an inventory full of items that need to be used somewhere and I don't see anyone telling me where they go). Most games have some objective to complete in order to move the game along.

I agree, in the beginning, some of the objectives were stupid (i.e. find Mary's cleaning supplies), but as the game went on, I got more into it and sure Cooter, if you want me to fix your A/C for some additional info, I'm happy to do it.

As far as interacting with the characters, most 3rd party adventure games call for questions and answers in order to play the game. BFG just took it one step further and used real people. I kind of like it. The actors let you see what type of people you are dealing with (especially that guy in the swamp!). I don't think it's stereotypical of the US South. My mother is from Texas and she uses a lot of the same vernacular and lingo as the characters do.

I wasn't a big fan of Dire Grove - that was a complete let down after RTR (easy as pie hidden object sections; minimal puzzles). 13th Skull definitely makes up for that and you don't have to complete a puzzle right at that moment in order to get somewhere.

I do agree with several posters who stated that the biggest disappointment is that it is not continuing with the Ravenhearst story. I know that was my initial let down; but then again, I was playing MCF before Ravenhearst and each one stands on its own merits.

Given some of the technical issues - better unit and system testing should have been done - but a game this size is going to have some bugs and trust me, BFG has gone out of their way to fix things.

I enjoy the scenery, the music, the acting - it's a game - and for the money, you can't beat it. Happy Gaming!!

Edited on 11/27/2010 at 1:00:57 PM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 27, 10 1:08 PM
Strixi wrote:I really enjoyed this game. Loved interacting with the actors (even Cooter's gaseous emissions). Loved solving the puzzles. Loved Pippi's Joe Pesci demeanor. Loved the graphics. Loved the music. Loved all of it.

Until I got to the cannons.

Oh, I know what to do, but as soon as I get three in a sequence, the ball-bearings pop back out. As it is so utterly time-consuming and boringly, frustratingly labor-intensive and there is no skip option, I'm ready to walk away from the game entirely.

There should always be a skip option. Always.

I agree with Strixi when it comes to skip options for games. There should ALWAYS be a skip option for mini games and puzzles. That way, those who have trouble with them can skip them and those who like to play them still can. Because of not being able to skip some of them, I would not buy this game.

As for the game over-all, I don't quite know what to make of it. While I really enjoy audible voice acting, this game has a bit too much of it. Also, I don't care for Voodoo or the occult being incorporated in a game. As another poster pointed out, it (Voodoo) is a religion and if Christianity is taboo, which I think is really sad, then, ALL religious beliefs should be off limits. JMO

jkshosa
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by jkshosa on Nov 27, 10 1:45 PM
Downloaded game in 10 minutes/ Have an HP Pavillion DV7 laptop. The computer in about 5 years old and runs on VISTA.

[Post New]by drumstring on Nov 27, 10 2:02 PM
I really love this game and all other mcf games , all others pale in comparison , not to say that other games suck , but they just don't thrill me as much .I had a few delays with the full ce down load but it went , activation was the issue ,not the download or installation ..running vista 64 bit. the music is very befitting to the scenes and storyline and that is the secret to good ambiance which pulls one into the story .. mcf does the best musical scores ..i am really pretty far into the game way past the voodooshop scenes .no problems so far .. i recommend this game to all it is a blast ..

cchyna
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by cchyna on Nov 27, 10 2:04 PM
nawlinslady35 wrote:My biggest problem with this game is that they protray us living in south Louisiana as dumb backwoods hillbillies.I know it is just a game but I still felt insulted.I felt like there was too much hand holding.I like to figure things out on my own.I did love all the sound effects.I also loved that u could choose the snarkiness or others.I always get a great laugh out of that.I am going to go back and play again and give it another chance

I have to agree with you on the backwoods hillbillie part and the insult because, I don't want to offend anyone but these people acted like the "Deliverence" peolple not true Louisiana people. Their language is completely different as well as the accent. I did like Momma Amie though and I did like the horney guy at he tavern.

emilyone
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by emilyone on Nov 27, 10 2:21 PM
I have never written in the forums before regarding a game, but I LOVE this game. Yes, there is handholding (tyty) since I would have wandered around forever lol. Love all the good ones, RTR, DG, POE, that everyone else loves, but this one just takes my fancy. Turned the music down (yep, irritating) but overall, I dont think Im even half way done with this and have been at it most of three hours, and am STILL interested. Its a unique twist that the people we "chat" with are actors, but after the first couple (and no longer on demo time so not worried about wasting time) its kind of fun. Since **** and IHO are the only games I play, I truly am thrilled when something like this one comes out. Its different, but its the same.. with some very nice twists and while I find the stradegy guide pretty much worthless, I dont regret paying the CE price for the game. Oh... goofyduck..... keep on reporting o mighy fishie.. if it werent for you and the many others that take the time to write in, I dont know what I would do. Love your reviews and your patience to write them. GOOOO all you fishies that do so. Thanks

[Post New]by pSyCHoSpiLLeR on Nov 27, 10 2:45 PM
I found 13th Skull to be well worth the Collector's Edition price. The game is chock full of puzzles of a variety of difficulty. The CG approach of blending acting and CG sets worked well, in fact, I have always enjoyed this approach since I first experienced it in Myst. The music added just the right ambiance. The sets were terriffic--I get a chuckle every time I go through the Drink and Swaller. My only regret is that the "Lawsons" didn't bring Pippi to the swamp...

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Nov 27, 10 2:50 PM
What an outstanding game - MCF gets better and better with each game! I will say that first. Its been so much fun...but...

Its also been a real bummer - for me anyways - to see such harsh criticism towards this game in the forums...

If MCF didn't try new ideas, casual gamers would still be playing Huntsville remakes with different hidden object scenes and a few new hand drawn characters that pop up between locations. A few developers out there keep reproducing those kinds of games - which is fine for those who prefer them, but doesn't add much in terms of originality. Now developers are making RTR type games as the new standard - for example, quite a few games released in the past year as CEs used a similar formula. But is this really what people will continue to want over and over and over again? Maybe, but I've been seeing a lot of same-old, same-old comments in the forums for those types of games as well...not to mention the people who are saying they are getting tired of games with a dark theme...etc.

As always, its impossible to please everyone, and even more so to accurately predict how people will react to change. I just want to make sure the developers know that their efforts have not gone unappreciated - this is a fabulous game! If MCF ends up loosing those fans who only want more of the same, I am sure they will make up for it with new fans intrigued and excited to experience something new.

I am getting towards the end of the bonus game and I have loved every minute of the 13th Skull - the graphics, storyline, live acting, music, sound effects and adventure elements were all excellent...I hate to see it end. Yes it would have been nice to have had an expert mode for more challenge, but overall, that didn't lessen my enjoyment in the game - in fact I used the walkthrough a few times anyhow!

Simply put, I loved the game. I can't wait to see what is next for MCF - so I am looking forward (not backwards) to the next in the MCF game series!!

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Nov 27, 10 3:04 PM
This was a great game worthy of the CE price. The puzzles are tough but not impossible and the graphics are beautiful. Took a while to get used to the live action portion but it really worked well in the end and added to the game. The bonus game was fun and ended the game well. Be sure to watch all the way through the credits!!!

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Nov 27, 10 3:29 PM
Hi fishies. well this looks like my kind of game. I love interacting with real people.I just wish they made it to where you could actually see the detective, and hear her speak.Seeing real people make it more a live.Like in the Art of murder games.I will say big fish is getting closer with much more entertaining games.

Happy gaming fishies.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Nov 27, 10 3:36 PM
I agree with you, Silverink. I played this game a bit before leaving for my daughter's home. Told her about it and we played it together after the children went to bed. We played until out eyes were drooping, lol. Picked it up again yesterday and completed it, with the help of my two grandsons. The five year old is the one who figured out where to place the cannon to shoot the mast down, lol. He kept telling us, and we kept trying different things...finally we did what he said and it worked...he is one smart youngen. We laughed ourselves silly over the voices...loved Cooter and Charlotte, lol. Of course we live in the south and have known people just like them. It took us over 9 hours to finish this game, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks BF. I say that those who didn't like it are entitled to their opinions...lord knows I have voiced my own often enough, but my family and I liked the characters, the voices, the music and sound effects. Good job well done...keep em comin', hons.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Nov 27, 10 4:15 PM
Great Game. I've been playing a total of 4 hours and I have a LOT left. If you really want a challenge (as I did), turn off the custom cursor.

[Post New]by cptwentworth on Nov 27, 10 4:21 PM
We've enjoyed the southern theme and puzzles. I like the option for the tooltips, that really helps when you have no clue what to do next. Don't care for so much people interaction, though, reminds us too much of Nancy Drew, which we don't care for. Wish there were more hidden objects to find. Thanks for all the hard work, MCF team! Our family loves them and can't wait for new ones.

Go to: