emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 5, 09 4:25 PM
A missing piece for me is still where the English NOBILITY and the Russian Circus fit in...

I see a crown at the top of the sign in the screenshot so maybe...
Dire Grove estate/hotel was originally occupied by royalty in the early 1900's.

Edit: Removing my conjecture, because, as I thought about it, picman's clues have been factual. So there's still a fact we're missing.

Edit: To appease the control freaks

Edited on 11/06/2009 at 6:20:57 PM PST

justmebd
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by justmebd on Nov 5, 09 4:58 PM
The pic on the MCF site is really cool. Love to see BFG do some more with this over the weekend.

Sinsaint
Clownfish
Clownfish
635 Posts

[Post New]by Sinsaint on Nov 5, 09 5:01 PM
zamud wrote:If it was someone trapped in the ice, that would have meant it was free during the summer/spring/fall? If it was someone that had been "hidden" to prevent further evil, hiding it beneath seasonal ice wouldn't work. Unless it was a "thing" had been thrown into the lake to hide it and it had a way of trying to lure people to itself. I'm not sure this makes any sense.

The boat/lake is to the left of the "historic" portion of the sign. And I didn't mean that the ice is the only thing keeping it in the lake. If there is a relic, that if disturbed would awaken whatever it is (and it happens to be winter) then this thing would be trying to get out through the ice.

zamud
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by zamud on Nov 5, 09 6:45 PM
Sinsaint wrote:
zamud wrote:If it was someone trapped in the ice, that would have meant it was free during the summer/spring/fall? If it was someone that had been "hidden" to prevent further evil, hiding it beneath seasonal ice wouldn't work. Unless it was a "thing" had been thrown into the lake to hide it and it had a way of trying to lure people to itself. I'm not sure this makes any sense.

The boat/lake is to the left of the "historic" portion of the sign. And I didn't mean that the ice is the only thing keeping it in the lake. If there is a relic, that if disturbed would awaken whatever it is (and it happens to be winter) then this thing would be trying to get out through the ice.

Gotcha.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 5, 09 10:56 PM
It really looks like a Tudor-era house when you go to the big picture. DId you notice all the "claw marks" in the snow around the sign?

Edited to say well lookee there speculation has gotten me outta the guppy pool LOL

Edited on 11/05/2009 at 10:57:49 PM PST

Darienne7
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by Darienne7 on Nov 5, 09 11:35 PM
Hi to all of you in the forum. Just wondering if any of you had seen my previous post on page 17 and if you also saw a face or mask like I did?

lilgirl88
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
463 Posts

[Post New]by lilgirl88 on Nov 5, 09 11:42 PM
I just looked and it kinda looked like a face but I think its a log. I'm not sure so I'm going to attempt to enlarge the picture in paint to see if I can see it more clearly.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 6, 09 12:44 AM
emmyjayne wrote:A missing piece for me is still where the English Royalty and the Russian Circus fit in...

Sorry, I have to keep correcting this. Picman said nobility, not royalty. There's a big difference.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Nov 6, 09 3:36 AM
Bump! This is so interesting seeing what you have all come up with. Even got me do research on the stuff you found.

*sad that the date has been pushed back

Edited on 11/06/2009 at 3:37:11 AM PST

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 6, 09 4:40 AM
No need to bump a stickied thread!

itsme07
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

[Post New]by itsme07 on Nov 6, 09 4:53 AM
Darienne7 wrote:Hi to all of you in the forum. Just wondering if any of you had seen my previous post on page 17 and if you also saw a face or mask like I did?

Never saw the "mask/face" until you mentioned it. I think it would be more distinct if it meant anything. Just my opinion.

on page 17 you wrote
"Picman had posted that Victor may not make an appearance in the new MCF: Dire Grove. The way I see this is it leaves the door open for the possibility that he might as Picman said may not instead of won't"

You caught on to the cleverness of Picman, but he also said the game is not raven related.
Perhaps the game might give a reference to Victor in some way just to remind us, a teaser somewhere.

I'm hoping this is an entirely different story line.

Enjoy the sleuthing Darienne and Welcome to the Forums!

manndiee
Stingray
Stingray
5,395 Posts

[Post New]by manndiee on Nov 6, 09 4:58 AM
Rabbit, just to clear it up a bit, in hopes you won't have to keep correcting it.

Mr. Picman sir, said Nobility (dane, dame, sirs, etc) not Royalty (King, Queen, Prince, Princess)

1900's is when many of the circus groups started traveling around to different places, instead of the permanent structures, many cities had built to house their own circus. Nobles owned land, that was given to them by Royalty, in exchange for their allegiance? Or am I mixing eras again.

ImLeza
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by ImLeza on Nov 6, 09 5:28 AM
The Celtic cross is very prominent on the picture. Wikki talks about the early original crosses as a combo of Christian and Pagan symbols that usually had runes inscribed on them and were free-standing public monuments ( Christian cross, symbol of resurrection and pagan sun, giver of life).They quit making them in the 1500's. In 1853 after making plaster casts of the old crosses and displaying them, there was a revival of crosses where they were used primarily as cemetery headstones. The relic could very well be a 16th century cross . Historically runes were just an alphabet, but there is a long belief that runes were magical and in ancient texts suggest they have the power to bring the dead back to life... I'm probably so far out in left field that I'd need a telescope to see home plate, but until we get more clues it's fun to speculate

[Post New]by SimpleAbundance on Nov 6, 09 7:34 AM
I am SOOO excited for this game, I love all the MCF games I own and can't wait to see what this one has to offer.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 6, 09 7:51 AM
Congratulations, new Minnow Scarlet! Now, if we could only find a Tudor link to this whole mystery. tee hee

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Nov 6, 09 8:05 AM
All this speculation on Dire Grove is making me NUTS. But please keep it up as I just can't resist checking it every day for more news. PICMAN you are bad boy. Give us more hints. I think he's laughing at us and enjoying himself immensely. What a tease he is!!!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 6, 09 8:08 AM
Purplerabbit wrote:
emmyjayne wrote:A missing piece for me is still where the English Royalty and the Russian Circus fit in...

Sorry, I have to keep correcting this. Picman said nobility, not royalty. There's a big difference.

So is this big difference something that you think would realistically impact the game plot? Or is this a pet peeve that bothers you - like mixing up "your" and "you're" bothers me?

Edited on 11/06/2009 at 8:16:11 AM PST

Lyvia
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by Lyvia on Nov 6, 09 8:14 AM
I am loving all your speculation! What a blast. Never have I enjoyed a game so much before it's even released. You're all ace sleuths and I thank you!

Am dying for the game now.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Nov 6, 09 8:40 AM
jazzboogie wrote:Ooh ooh ooh...just found something interesting...the English poet William Mason penned "Elsfrida," in which appears the following passage:

I'll go to yon dire grove, and clasp my Husband,
My murder'd Husband. Why restrain me, Sir?

Yeah, I'm a poetry geek.

Could this relate to Rose? Was she the carpenter's wife? He fell from the top of the house and left a wife and two daughters (the twins?) in Ravenhearst. He's laying in a grove.

bedheadkg
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by bedheadkg on Nov 6, 09 8:59 AM
I don't think that Rose was the carpenters wife. In RTR there is a newspaper article about Rose's husband holding a funeral service for them after their disapearance (with empty coffins). Unless Charles killed them before Ravenhearst was built, which I don't think he can have because wasn't Rose still alive at the end of Ravenhearst, when the house was fininished, they can't have died before the husband.

Edited on 11/06/2009 at 8:59:43 AM PST

Go to: