Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ Collector's Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by jnwhitener on Dec 3, 09 10:37 AM
hogamefan wrote:
medview2 wrote:
hogamefan wrote:
jnwhitener wrote:Okay, I know this is suppose to be the place to review and comment about the game, but I'm having a problem. First of all, I love the game! Although, it was a little short. However, I'm still trying to figure out all the little achievements, etc, so it makes up for being a short game. Anyway, I'm having a problem solving the puzzle on the barrel in the grocery store's basement. And what number do you use for the phone? That whole little room, I assume, is a little extra, but I want to figure it out. Hint anyone?

Yes, you're correct in your first sentence about this being the thread for comments and reviews, ie length of game, quality of graphics, difficulty of puzzles, value for money etc. If you post your question in a different (correct) thread, you may get the answer you are looking for, and without causing spoilers for the people who just want to read people's opinions on the game.

A little rude don't you think? Other people posted and you didn't pick on them.

Actually I did, several times - with several different people. You can check all my posts by clicking on my name. The intention was not to be rude, but to reaffirm that this particular thread is for comments and reviews only. There are still people, such as myself, who have not yet played/finished the game, but still enjoy reading people's views on it without seeing any solutions.

Yeah you're rude! And the fact that you went through all 22 pages of posts to pick on me, is a little disturbing. When I look for reviews on products, I don't usually go through ALL of them. You're just looking to be a jerk and I feel sorry for you. If you knew what you were talking about, you would have seen that I didn't give anything away. The little blurb about the game itself says that there is extra stuff and I was asking about that. Obviously, you either have entirely too much time on you're hands (which in that case, get a life!) or you were never going to play the game. Either way, you should just leave others alone.

hogamefan
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by hogamefan on Dec 3, 09 11:54 AM
I'm sorry that you feel I'm a 'jerk' and 'rude' for asking people to post their questions, which may evoke spoilers, elsewhere . I was under the impression that this was the thread for opinions. However, it seems that because I asked you to post your question elsewhere I have aroused your anger. Once again, I can only apologise for requesting that this thread does not contain spoilers, nor the request for them (and to use your own words 'What number do you use for the phone?' and 'Hint anyone?' would confirm that fact.

Edited on 12/03/2009 at 1:34:20 PM PST

mpat70
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by mpat70 on Dec 3, 09 12:09 PM
Why can't I use my November coupon code when purchasing this $19..95 game

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Dec 3, 09 12:30 PM
Your coupon code is only worth $6.99. The game manager is not yet set up to know that not all games are one game credit = one game. This one would be 3 game credits. They've said they'll fix this in a future update to Game Manager.

frannycats
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by frannycats on Dec 3, 09 1:42 PM
Mjr9550 wrote:I am really not happy about the price even though I bought it. I have been a member for years and have paid my dues regularly. I don't understand why the price. I think that if I purchase a game for the higher price, I should receive the disk too! If I purchased it at another site, I would receive the disk AND the download for the same price. I do love BF and all the great games but I don't like the surprise change. I will, of course continue to purchase my games from BF. I just wanted to vent my disappointment.

Since this game is exclusive to BFG, it's unlikely you would find it elsewhere.

Before I found BF, I bought all my games through Oberon Media where the standard price is $19.95 and that does not include a CD. Once in awhile they offer 40 or 50% off deals. whoop-de-do! Besides that, I found technical problems with many of their games and their support sucked.

Although I have had one or two technical problems with the Big Fish games, its support system is outstanding.

Having said all that, after playing the Dire Grove Collector's Edition, IMO the game is worth every penny I invested in it. I have never seen this kind of quality in any other game, from the graphics, to the complicated plot line, to the many varied features, puzzles, and side games.

I'm really becoming a BF addict.

[Post New]by single302 on Dec 3, 09 1:58 PM
great game with everything included we finished the game in 3 days and i still didnt get the tour of big fish and now i understand why big fish games keep it up with the mystery case file games please and thanks

[Post New]by 007Gamefan on Dec 3, 09 2:35 PM
I just want to say WOW!!! I have played this game 4 times now, I just love it. It is TOTALLY AWESOME - you guys really out did yourselves. The graphics are incredible and love the story line and game flow. I have talked this game up with all my gamer friends - telling them they have to join and so they can get the Collector's Edition.
Just wanted to say thanks and looking forward to getting what looks like my wet suit on for the MCF next segment

See you around the pond

Edited on 12/03/2009 at 2:36:28 PM PST

[Post New]by redirish1217 on Dec 3, 09 2:59 PM
Hi. I'm part way through playing this for a 2nd time and I have 2 questions.

1.) In the secret location in the grocery store (when you get the 2 golden Felixes), what is the phone used for? Does it have a purpose? Yes, I did find the receiver.

2.) What are the snowshoes used for? You get them in basement of the grocery store but never use them!

Can someone please PM me on here if you know the answer to either or both of these questions? Thank you!

Edited on 12/03/2009 at 3:12:58 PM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 3, 09 3:27 PM
1) See The Easter Egg Thread.
2) See any number of other threads that ask the same question.

[Post New]by midlothian on Dec 3, 09 3:45 PM
redirish1217 wrote:Hi. I'm part way through playing this for a 2nd time and I have 2 questions.

1.) In the secret location in the grocery store (when you get the 2 golden Felixes), what is the phone used for? Does it have a purpose? Yes, I did find the receiver.

2.) What are the snowshoes used for? You get them in basement of the grocery store but never use them!

Can someone please PM me on here if you know the answer to either or both of these questions? Thank you!

I'm having the same problem with the phone and snowshoes - even took a look at the walkthru and nothing is mentioned about these two items.

[Post New]by MunchkinGoddess on Dec 3, 09 6:35 PM
An ABSOLUTLY TERRIFIC GAME!!!

MCF Has NOT disappointed me yet!! I have been a HUGE fan since the beginning RTR Was My All Time FAV along with Madame Fate! And when it left the story open for something at the end of RTR I couldn’t WAIT to see what was Next!!! Its Been a Long Wait…but Well worth it!

Dire Grove was Outstanding! I loved the Graphic…the **** were easier at points…depending on Location…The Puzzles got a bit challenging toward the end…It took me 6 hours to finish! And I didn’t even find all the Changing Objects! I only had to use the walkthrough on the Alphabet puzzle because I don’t have that kind of patience when it comes to letters or numbers! ^^

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Real Life Movies!!! Although for my computer it skipped a lot…but my mom’s comp played it fine! So I’m not sure if it’s a glitch or just My comp!

I’m DEF. Going to play this again….Ooo esp. Since We found out that On Some of the puzzles can have a different outcome! For Exp. The ruins….My secret message was Not the same as my moms game!!!

This was WELL worth the 19.95!! and knowing that it counted for the stamp card! Yippie!

malacious
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by malacious on Dec 3, 09 6:49 PM
Okay, I'm in the secret ? room under the rug, I have hooked up the telephone, so what's the number. I have four words on the rotating rings, the map says that I have missed a "morphing object by the tent/stones, BUT I have clicked on EVERYTHING, & still don't find anything. So really, my ? is this, where & what is all the "extra special", bonus level & extra game play?

[Post New]by christetay on Dec 3, 09 7:02 PM
Over all wish I hadn't paid for the Extra's what extra's other than the stragey guide which was fine but I could have finished with out it..the game froze all the time, downloaded to a differenet computer and it kicked me out before I could finish, and said it was an invailed access, made me start all over, after 2 days I finally finished should have only taken a few hours. Love all the other Mystery Case Files, and think I would have like this one, I like to play them over and over, but this one I'll have to delete as it slow's both computers down soooo much.!!! I hate it turn out this way, I was really looking foward to playing the game over and over..but who has the time..should have just waited for the game in Dec. I never saw the big fish game over view, or the easter eggs, I guess I missed a lot..

Miern
Salmon
Salmon
2,592 Posts

[Post New]by Miern on Dec 3, 09 7:04 PM
Laflamme wrote:
Miern wrote:I have been a loyal BFG customer for years and will continue. However, I feel BFG has thought only of their bottom line instead of the customers in charging such an outlandish fee for Dire Grove. Instead, they could have charged the regular $6.99 PLUS a credit, in other words TWO credits! That would have been the extra enough to suffice! I will wait until the regular version comes out to download it. Merry Christmas everyone!
~M

This outlandish fee of 20 bucks was the regular price here for years. You know what's really outlandish? 60 Euro ($90,47) for the new Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2.

HOLY MOLY!!!!

~M

[Post New]by LouisaL on Dec 3, 09 8:22 PM
I can't use my monthly credit for this? Why not? It says "Every Game, Every Day."

I don't think that's fair. I can't even use it as 6.99 off the price. L A M E.

MCF is why I signed up for Big Fish to begin with. If they're just going to put out games that I can't buy then why bother keeping a membership, I have to pay full price anyway.

char1132
Manatee
Manatee
4,059 Posts

[Post New]by char1132 on Dec 3, 09 9:19 PM

karen1573 wrote:The wolf ate my frozen meat! How can I get some more?

LOL Hungry Karen ??? LOL

Gatorau
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by Gatorau on Dec 3, 09 10:45 PM
My partner plays FPS games on the PC mainly. The accepted cost for these is MINIMUM $80 Australian on release and usually around $120 Australian. I was happy to pay $19.95 US for a Mystery Case Files game. The other games are still $6.99 and I can get another one now as my game credit just came through. Don't cry about one game being $19.95. BigFish is still one of the best places to get your games fix.

Edit: Oh and I like the Strategy Guide being packaged with it. That alone is usually another $6.99. So the games, the Strategy Guide and the bonus gameplay to me are worth the pricetag.

If you feel so strongly about the price, BigFish advised upfront that it would be available without the bonus items in early December. Wait for that and you will be able to get it with your normal game club credit.

Edited on 12/03/2009 at 10:48:27 PM PST

[Post New]by kitkat25704 on Dec 3, 09 11:59 PM
I for one am very disappointed with the game. I finished the game but feel not only did I waste $19.95 but my time as well. I love BF games, but this was to me a real loser.

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Dec 4, 09 12:01 AM
Okay when I got my card in the mail I thought OMG that's so evil, as if I'm gonna wait.
So glad I didn't All I can say is WOW!, good luck topping that one, but I know you will and I can't wait. Did I get it perfect, heck no, I took my time so I could enjoy every second. Would I change anything, NO Way. the music, graphics, everything was perfect. And you naughty, naughty fishes made me jump out of my skin, I won't say where cause I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I found it quite funny, when I heard the clue "Blair Witch", I thought , oh great the most obnoxious movie of all time, are they kidding? But apparently the fishies understand Cinema Verite. So mega super duper fabtabulous job.

/5

julie2753
Clownfish
Clownfish
542 Posts

[Post New]by julie2753 on Dec 4, 09 12:31 AM
i love the game and am glad i bought the 19.99 deal its help me having the guide built in so i can sneek a peek when i need to. i dont think its expensive when you look how much pc games are in the shops,
This game is great i love it the only problem i had was that it was jumpy on my laptop so downloaded it on to hubbys new laptop and it plays like a dream(vista).
BFG are the best and give you the choice of waiting for the 6.99 or buying the 19.99 one. i could not wait and i was not disapointed .
thank-you your great.

Go to: