bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: Hidden Sins Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jun 18, 15 3:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grim Facade: Hidden Sins Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grim Facade: Hidden Sins Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: Hidden Sins Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jun 18, 15 9:11 AM
ERS should change their name to ERRORS. What a dreadful game! The only thing I liked about it was the cat!

Graphics were old school & went between beginner drawings & cartoons.

Characters were not lifelike but the VO seemed ok.

HOS/Puzzles were interactive & somewhat novel.

I appreciated the custom settings so that I could zip through the game using a 4 second recharge on the hint/skip buttons.

Never did use the map. The game had a lot of back & forth though the same scenes & it would have been nice to have a jump map.

The game froze early on, which seems to be a hallmark with ERS, & when I got back in the sound was gone. Could not get back even though I tried through the option screen.

Lastly, I knew that this was not the game for me as soon as vampires entered the picture. Then some dream sequences followed with you name written on a headstone. ICK, ICK, ICK.

At this point I knew it was time to exit & delete.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: Hidden Sins Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by 9otters on Jun 18, 15 9:22 AM
Based On Demo...

I appreciate dark stories as well as fantasies, so I'm glad they finally put some "GRIM" in the Grim Façade.

FABULOUS graphics. The absolute BEST I've seen anywhere. ERS artwork is generally a bit busy/cutesy/fussy for my taste, but I'm loving this distinctive, edgy look. Even the Grim Façade signature "hint fan" got an update and looks metallic.

There is a "conversation" trend that we see in many games now, and it is one that I REALLY dislike...having to choose one of several responses when "talking" to a character. We have to do it with EVERY character we meet, some more than once, and there are MANY. It just seems to be a pointless way to add time to the game. We end up having to choose ALL of them to progress and they have NO influence on the story or outcome of the game.

Unfortunately, my second least favorite feature shows up too...a gimmick "contraption". This device is used to scan the scene to pick up memory "fragments" that show up as wisps of smoke. There are five wisps to collect each time we use it and they're moving, so it takes some time to gather them all. Once we get them, yet another series of cut-scenes reveal some back story and a crystal to recharge the device.

HOs visited twice...collect 12 of something the first time around...replace items in the scene the second time. Another one was a "choose the right object from the written hint" variety. Some easy mini-games...some more difficult, but didn't need the strategy guide. A couple could have used better instructions.

Action contained to two or three scenes so the jump map wasn't essential. Replay of HOs and mini-games as well as the usual extras. Lots of effort put into making the achievements look like awards. Collectible masks to find, put into a "presentation" scene when found.

Because it's Grim Façade, coins are collected to buy needed items from the ever-present "vendor".

I would have liked to have seen all the effort that went to gimmicks, animations, cut-scenes, and elaborate settings for achievements and collectibles put into a more interesting GAME. There were some features that I liked, but far more that I didn't. Right from the start we collected stuff to catch a fish, located an oiler for rust, melted metal to create a key...

Possibly a lot of fishes will purchase because it's ERS, but it's a no buy for me. Hope you find some fun today. Happy gaming!

ruadhan
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by ruadhan on Jun 19, 15 2:26 PM
I have to say, I'm loving this game. Given the plethora of cute animal companions/helpers in recent games, the cat in this one is a refreshing, funny and unique change.

I really feel ERS are back on track with this game; fantastic artwork, intriguing plot, and really new twist on the usual "hunt the masked killer" quest.

Sincere congratulations on this one to the game developers and to Big Fish. A lot of series games get tired after a while, but this entry in the Grim Façade series is well worth it.

Ten out of ten, excellent

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 19, 15 4:49 PM
Hello friends! Another addition to the Grim Facade series. As usual, the graphics and game play is very well done. Colors are not over-powering. Voice overs are pretty good, but I don't care for the "whisper" type voice. They aren't scary, just annoying. Music is the same as in all the others in this series, so naturally I turn it down. There are very nice sound FX in this game, but mostly the game is fairly quiet. SG is the standard and easy to follow if you need it. Nothing new in this story line.

HOPs are interactive lists and "place this part in the scene," and combinations of both together. When placing items, some objects are pretty small, but not hard to see. HOPs were pretty clean and items not all that difficult to find. Puzzles were interesting and some did take time and thought to complete, but are not difficult either. There are very few HOPs or puzzles so far. Hint system works quite well, but I did not see that it transports to other locations. This was okay, because you didn't have to back-track far for another item or objective.

Collectibles are 16 masks. When you open each mask,you get a little history as to what it is for, but I don't see that it really has all that much to do with the story line. Some are not as easy to see as you may think. You also find coins to purchase items from a vendor, in order to complete a task. These are not difficult to spot. You also have a machine that allows you to find floating memories, which actually gives you more insight into what is happening with the story. I thought this was a little silly, but okay.

I've read a few reviews that mention graphic deaths. Now, during the demo, there was a hanging, a stabbing and an explosion. Except for one scene, you didn't actually see anything happen, you just know it did. This game went a step further than most others with death scenes. Other games used poison, guns, swords or whatever they could get their hands on. This one is no different, except that they do show blood. If you want more "realism" in a game, unfortunately this is what you get. Hopefully, it doesn't get any worse than what I have seen so far. Earlier I played a game that had an execution that was quite graphic...that, I really didn't care for at all. Again, I really do not care to "choose" my dialog in a game. It takes away from the game play and is completely unnecessary. This was a big downside for me.

I have all the others in this series and really liked them. I am on the fence about this one. It didn't have anything that really made me want to buy it...especially as a CE. The game flowed fairly well, but just didn't seem to have the challenge or the little extra to make you want to keep going. This one is going in my puddle and I will give it another try when the SE comes out and see what happens then. Some games just make better SE versions. I'm sure this game will appeal to a number of people as it is, but not for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the review.

[Post New]by nerakrichards on Jun 24, 15 3:40 PM
A M A Z I N G game!!! Loved the graphics (not overly colourful and detailed, which made it more real for me). The variety of HOS games were awesome. The storyline was very interesting. Only sorry that the game ended I hope there will be more of the Grim Facade games coming out soon - one of my favourite collections.

sarah451
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by sarah451 on Jun 25, 15 3:33 PM
"An outbreak of scurvy" caused the drawbridges to be raised?

Really?

Did no history teacher every explain why England's sailors used to be called "Limeys"?

Scurvy is not a communicable disease, Boys. Do your homework.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Jun 25, 15 8:28 PM
I had a great time playing this game. Sorry it ended. I can't believe anybody would not enjoy it. Thanks BFG

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 26, 15 9:29 AM
Definitely enjoyed this game. Looks like ER is back to their old standards. Now if they'd only add a reset button for their puzzles ;^)

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 6, 15 11:19 AM
Review of completed game and bonus.

I enjoyed this latest ERS offering very much. It was probably the most death-ridden casual game I can recall. This didn't bother me, but might not be enjoyable for everyone.

Actual gameplay was very typical of ERS with the addition of some dexterity, speed mini-games. Those in particular were most challenging. I was happy that the darker theme encouraged many posting members to play through this one and can see that ERS games get more challenging as the game progresses. You get the most bang for your buck when you buy. The CE bonus game was of good length and also challenging.

What was unique in this one were the achievements that were sometimes choice-based. Emphasis on choice. I did appreciate and hope we can see more choices in our games. Adventure games have been going in this direction for a while now and I am pleased and hope to start seeing this drift to the casual game arena more often than once in a blue moon.

I highly recommend this game for those who like darker themed games. It was fun, fast paced and the creativity put into the achievements alone put a dose of extra added excitement into the mix. Enjoy!

Edited for typo

Edited on 07/16/2015 at 9:15:51 AM PST

Go to: