Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Witches' Legacy: The Dark Throne Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 2, 15 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/02/2015 at 6:40:06 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Witches' Legacy: The Dark Throne Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by 9otters on Jul 2, 15 3:03 AM
Based on Demo

Fantastical scenery, good graphics and animations, lots of interaction with the scenery, or "cursor surprises" as I like to call them.

Before we even enter the game, we find a book on the title page with a history/outline of the people this series is all about. Nice if you haven't played any of the others before now. Quite a bit of backstory info through mini-games/puzzles.

Some steps we need to take are NOT obvious, so there was some thinking involved. Liked that. NOT a fan of the Imp, who is this series' helper, but his parts are not as long and drawn out...at least in the demo... as they were in the last game. Liked that.

Quite a variety and some good twists on the HOPs...one was upside-down...liked that. You can play a match game if you don't want to play the HOPs. Played some interesting mini-games. There were quite a few things to do that involved following a page of instructions.

There is actually an INTERESTING "gimmick" here. A "mirror"/machine that shows the "true nature" of the "bad" entities and helps in solving the problem of getting around them and progressing in the game. NO flashing lights and a bunch of extended "show". Just a discreet little box that helps you out. Liked that.

Collectibles. 35 morphing objects, 36 puzzle pieces that will be used to complete what looks like 4 pictures. I'm not sure what that was all about because it was locked . There ARE achievements, but I saw NO REPLAY of the 26 HOPs or 29 puzzles/mini-games.

A count is kept, in the achievements, of how many times we use the Imp (14) but, I don't know the reason behind that. I mean, we can't NOT use him so...? As usual, we cannot just let him get his job done, we have to find tools to help him out. Knowing exactly what he needs can be obscure at times.

Forgot to look at the strategy guide. There's a good jump map that shows active areas. It doesn't show you EXACTLY what you need to do, but you can always use the "hint" if you have trouble narrowing it down. Plenty to do in each area.

I had 15 minutes left at the end of the demo. I liked it but, I don't know if morphs and puzzle pieces are enough to warrant the CE price. Maybe with a good Fourth of July sale...

edit: Game page says puzzle pieces unlock more "stories". The game was LOADED with back story. Can't think of what I'd want to know MORE about.

Edited on 07/02/2015 at 4:43:02 AM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Witches' Legacy: The Dark Throne Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by biomix on Jul 2, 15 3:55 AM
I found this game to be 'too much work'. Also this series is like taking one game and changing the dialogue only. Boring.
The graphics are very dark and dull.
Too bad because I really got a kick out of the Imp. Too funny.
I will have to pass.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jul 2, 15 6:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Witches' Legacy: The Dark Throne Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Witches' Legacy: The Dark Throne Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jul 2, 15 2:28 PM
Played the beta survey a few months back. Can't recall all points I listed in the survey, but my three main concerns were addressed. Nice.

Anyway, I have this whole series. Yes, Imp is back. I'm open-minded on helpers -- I only care if they helpful or a major distraction. My opinion of Imp is that he's more helpful than distracting.

The graphics in the opening scenes are not my favorite, but after going beyond the mirror, new areas open up. I enjoyed each new area that I encountered.

There are morphing objects and puzzle pieces to be found. As I explore, I always click on the various plant/animal life and see what they do. I like the little touches that add "life" to the gameplay.

There are achievements, some even skill-based! There is a locked section in "Extras" that says Puzzles, so I assume (dangerous I know) that the puzzles may be replayed after the game is completed.

I'll be getting the game, probably this weekend.

[Post New]by cadescovelady on Jul 2, 15 4:36 PM
Looking forward to this new addition. Have only played a tad, but all the others have been winners for me...EXCEPT....slumbering darkness from Feb. 2015. That one froze on a mini game well into the game. During that post period, I looked and looked for a fix, since so many people experienced the same issue. To my knowledge, they never offered a fix. If anyone knows otherwise, I sure would like to be able to finish that game! Luck to us all on this new addition!!

1357wc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
453 Posts

[Post New]by 1357wc on Jul 2, 15 10:48 PM
cadescovelady wrote:Looking forward to this new addition. Have only played a tad, but all the others have been winners for me...EXCEPT....slumbering darkness from Feb. 2015. That one froze on a mini game well into the game. During that post period, I looked and looked for a fix, since so many people experienced the same issue. To my knowledge, they never offered a fix. If anyone knows otherwise, I sure would like to be able to finish that game! Luck to us all on this new addition!!

There was an update for this game. I sent you a PM

kaitlinn
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by kaitlinn on Jul 3, 15 1:51 PM
I loved this game, I love this series, and I love the little imp...even if he is silly and not really needed...

I really liked the fact that you could do match cards (not match 3!) instead of the HOs, if fact I was hoping for more in the extras menu but alas....

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 4, 15 8:38 AM
Finally got round to trying this demo; too much time spent watching tennis but I had a spare hour today between matches I want to see! And methinks I should have stuck with the tennis.

All very familiar; it's pretty much just like the last one in the series. Nothing new happens really; same old story, same old tasks, same old HOS, same old puzzles and not much originality in any of it.

Graphics are nice enough if a touch dark. The imp is back; what a joy One of the HOS was upside down but seen that done before so not original. There are morphing objects to find and collectibles as well (puzzles pieces). You can play a card-match game instead of the HOS (I did, frequently).

You get a 'gimmick', a machine that shows someone's/something's true nature. Wasn't overly impressed with it. Didn't notice any map and didn't look in the SG as the game was so easy it was unnecessary. There was way too much dialogue between various characters and a lot of back story in some of the puzzles. Can't be doing with all that reading, not with my eye condition.

I didn't buy the last game in this series and won't be buying this one. Not sure even the SE can tempt me. Buy one get one free weekend and not a single game worth buying

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 26, 15 10:05 AM
Based on completion of main game and bonus chapter.

This game is produced by Big Fish through EleFun and so is not what I consider an indie developer. I thought this game was okay, good, but not fantastically great. I shall not gush.

There are two things that are most important to me in a game - story and challenge. I thought the developers did one very well and the other was less than optimal. Game length was good. This is not a short game by any means, you do you get your play time's worth.

Story: Now, as an adventure gamer, I love story. You cannot give me enough. So, I was impressed and enjoyed where this story is going in the series and the care that the developers are taking with it. Some series drift around and by the 5th/6th game you have no idea how the individual games fit together. In the Witches' Legacy series, there is a clear progression and I like that the Aunt Caretaker is moving to the background and Lynn and her Husband have now come into their own and are not in need of a rescue. You are following the growth of these characters even though the threats seem to be recurring quite similarly. So in this aspect I was happy.

Challenge: If I demo'd this game instead of buying, I am not sure I would have bought it. The puzzles in the entire first half the game were excruciatingly simple to me. I found myself getting a bit irritated as I saw puzzles the developers could have made more difficult but kept the same puzzle type, but chose to move the difficulty level to the easiest possible setting. This is where I do love that ERS has 2 settings for some of its puzzles which gives players some options.

That said, when I did reach roundabouts Chapter 5 of 8 in the main game, puzzles with more challenge began sporadically appearing. Meaning, puzzles I had to reset and did not get on the first try. This made me much happier to finish out the game, but I think the game would have been better served if they would have varied up the challenge level throughout the entire length of the game.

So -- I recommend this game for players that love story and wish to continue on the adventures of Lynn and Edward and those that can be patient with the lack of challenge in the first half of the game. I do think this would be a great game for beginning casual gamers as they can ease into the puzzles through the game.

Go to: