bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 11, 09 1:59 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine. We're sure you have comments you would like to share with the community. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine has beautiful scenes with items that are hidden very well and difficult puzzles that will test the wits of every player. The music and sound effects in the game change for each location and add intensity to the mysterious circumstances you’re investigating. Anytime you need help you can always refer to the detailed game instructions, or just wait a few moments for another hint to reload, especially because the game gives subtle hints to make you think about the next step. It‘s an exciting game that has a cohesive story line to keep any gamer enthralled for hours. Help save the world from horrid nightmares and pure evil in this Hidden Object adventure across the real and dream worlds!

Genre:
This is a Hidden Object game that also has puzzle mini games.

Game Modes:
Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine is only available in standard, untimed mode and must also be played in full screen.

Depth:
This game has nine different artifacts that must be tracked down, and offers over thirty Hidden Object scenes as well as twenty mini game puzzles to give a player hours of engaging challenges.

Similar to:
Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine is similar to Enlightenus, Hidden in Time: Mirror Mirror and Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst.

Difficulty level:
This is a medium level Hidden Object game that is made more difficult for an advanced player with puzzles in between scenes.

Review by L.D.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

Re:Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine comments and reviews

[Post New]by prchalpn on Jul 11, 09 4:09 AM
This looks very promising. Thanks BF!! I really like the part of hrs of play
downloading demo now.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jul 11, 09 4:14 AM
My kind of game. Played 5 minutes and bought. Thanks Big Fish for great games.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jul 11, 09 5:28 AM
and must also be played in full screen.

Not that it's a huge problem, but the game does not cover my whole screen. I still have a black column on either side of the screen. Just like in Flower Paradise. I never play a game in windowed option. Too small for me.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jul 11, 09 5:30 AM
I have been waiting for this game and I love it!! It has great graphics, not blurry. Thank you BFG

exalthim2
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by exalthim2 on Jul 11, 09 5:39 AM
This is one of the best games I've ever played. It does everything right from the graphics to the puzzles to the storyline. Very exciting game.
Kim

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jul 11, 09 6:45 AM
Now we can read everyone's review of a game in one thread. Real spiffy, just like Gamezebo. Anyone else want to post their review?

[Post New]by likame51 on Jul 11, 09 7:22 AM
I downloaded this game and it seems to be missing something. The pages are black with big white bars where I suspect dialogue or directions should be. Has anyone else had a problem with this download??? Know a solution to this???

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jul 11, 09 7:27 AM
I'm sure that there will be many people who love this game, but it's not my cup of tea.
No timer!
Can't play in windowed mode
First scene was dark and gruesome. That made my decision for me.

20TN40
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by 20TN40 on Jul 11, 09 8:12 AM
lordkalvan wrote:I'm sure that there will be many people who love this game, but it's not my cup of tea.
No timer!
Can't play in windowed mode
First scene was dark and gruesome. That made my decision for me.

What do you consider the advantage of playing in windowed mode? I beta tested a game elsewhere and the black areas on the sides was really bugging me. I was told that I had played in "windowed mode". Nothing wrong with the game or graphics (not blurry or anything) but I think I had become so accustomed to playing (unknowingly!) in full screen that it was aggravating. But that may have not truly been "windowed mode".

And I so wish you could have stuck around past the first scene because there are some very beautiful areas in the rest of the game.

20TN40
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by 20TN40 on Jul 11, 09 8:18 AM
This game is one tough cookie for me! Objects are hidden extremely well and there is very little information on what to do next. I was about to throw my mouse during the alchemy part! LOL

But the scenes are beautiful, the graphics are sharp and clear and I'm loving pulling out my hair while working my way through!

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Jul 11, 09 8:29 AM
scotcat wrote:
and must also be played in full screen.

Not that it's a huge problem, but the game does not cover my whole screen. I still have a black column on either side of the screen. Just like in Flower Paradise. I never play a game in windowed option. Too small for me.

Hi Scotcat,

Go to the main menu, under options and change the resolution. There are several to choose from. One of them will cover your whole screen.

Good Luck,

Margie B

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Jul 11, 09 8:37 AM
I'm a more action oriented gamer who does Hog's on the side when I need something slow and easy to wind down from my favorite manic clickers (P vs Z !!). This game seems to fit the bill as the scenery is quite beautifully crafted with attention to detail and some cleverly disguised hidden objects. The puzzles weren't too hard but they did make me need to think just a tad too much. I only got as far as creating the werewolf potion when my hour ran out so for me that indicates a nice, lengthy game. It's been added to my future must buy list.

vickie39
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by vickie39 on Jul 11, 09 8:41 AM
likame51 wrote:I downloaded this game and it seems to be missing something. The pages are black with big white bars where I suspect dialogue or directions should be. Has anyone else had a problem with this download??? Know a solution to this???

I'm trying to be patient, but i've had this problem on other games. Now two in a row? "Mystery Island 2" and Department 42. I've changed screen resolution - didn't help.

[Post New]by dragonfairy5 on Jul 11, 09 8:49 AM
Game looked like it might be a good one to play until I downloaded it!
The only thing I can get the darn thing to do is the main screen where you place you user name.
I hit enter and nothing happens.

I do not know how Frogwares makes their games BUT 9 out of 10 times their games will either not load, will not get past the main screen, or just decide to bug out.

Lately, most of the games BF has had have been problems to even get to work at all. The next time someone from BF tells me they test ALL platforms and computer systems, I am going to ask for proof of it.

20TN40
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by 20TN40 on Jul 11, 09 9:04 AM
Dragon and Vicki.........take a deep breath. Your issues could be related to several things. One being the recent fire at the main BF servers. I know there are still some glitches and they are working feverishly to get them all corrected. Another could be your antivirus software or your firewall. There's also a chance that you have to have cookies enabled.

My first suggestion would be to delete the game, clear out your cookies, browser history, temp files etc. reboot your computer and try again. If all else fails, I can promise that you will get TOP NOTCH help by clicking on the green envelope over on the right side of the page and talking with customer service.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jul 11, 09 9:50 AM
What I refer to as windowed mode is when the game is in a window, so that I can minimize it easily, and have some other window open (and visible) at the same time. Most of the time when I'm playing games Monday-Friday, I am "on call" at work, so I have to respond to email and IM immediately. Yes I know all about alt-tab, but when playing full screen mode I don't always SEE the pop-ups about the email or IM. With windowed mode, I can just mouse over the bottom of my monitor and check to make sure that nothing snuck by me while I was concentrating on a puzzle, then go directly back to the game if there's nothing showing. I tried changing to a smaller resolution but it still filled the entire screen for me, just using images that weren't as sharp.

kalalika
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
465 Posts

[Post New]by kalalika on Jul 11, 09 10:32 AM
Bought this immediately after demo play - really cool game! My download stopped once and restarted but have had no problems since. Some of the puzzles kind of stumped me for awhile, but I stuck with it and finally solved them. I'm stuck right now at the Grayhill cemetery tombstone puzzle, but will go back to it with new resolve.

20TN40
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by 20TN40 on Jul 11, 09 10:47 AM
That explains it perfectly, LK. So the game I was playing was not windowed because I could not get to my desktop or other area without leaving the game. Must have just been the games version of borders, similar to playing in the game community here where even if you max the screen, the playing area stays the same. You've help me understand the difference...............thank you!

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Jul 11, 09 12:53 PM
dragonfairy5 wrote:Game looked like it might be a good one to play until I downloaded it!
The only thing I can get the darn thing to do is the main screen where you place you user name.
I hit enter and nothing happens.

I had to use my other mouse button, not the one I normally use. (I'm not identifying right or left mouse button because my mouse is set for left handed and it might confuse you.)

This game looks exactly like another game I played, but I can't remember the name. It has the same objects and the same kind of play -- finding a sparkling area and clicking on it to start the search. It even had the same cave hidden object scene.

I played for an hour and was on my second artifact, so it should take me a while to finish it. I'm not sure about it, though, and will wait to see what tonight's TGT is before I buy it.

Edited on 07/11/2009 at 12:56:57 PM PST

Go to: