Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

TGT (YEA!) - Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 11, 09 5:51 AM
I knew we had a shot at something special when I saw Frogwares was the developer. They make good stuff.

Excellent game! Super clear graphics with adjustable gamma. NO TIMER. (tho one quick click mini so far, I managed it first go). Challenging but not crazy hard, pretty logical inventory puzzles. Well hidden but not toooo jumbled hidden object searches. It seems to have pretty good duration for this sort of game. I'm about 2/3 thru at the 3+ hour or so mark, so I'll get probaly 4.5 hours or so out of it, which is excellent. I do read all the story stuff and don't use hints until desperate, so your mileage may vary of course. Refillable hints (slow) and skippable mini games - but you must wait to skip them. Good variety in those.

Only complaints I had is a bit of a sluggish cursor, but can speed up my gamer mouse on the fly, so that's a small issue, and the hidden object hotspots are picky where you click.

Still, definite Poodlebear Approved and

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

Re:TGT (YEA!) - Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine

[Post New]by scotcat on Jul 11, 09 5:54 AM
Poddlebear, there's already a bunch of threads/posts on this game in it's own forum. There's even a thread for reviews.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 11, 09 6:02 AM
It already has it's own forum? The TGT did not used to get a Forum until the game was released for everybody.

I kinda think it's a shame if it happens so fast cuz most folks won't seek out specific game forums until they have a question when playing. I guess we just need to collectively get used to looking for reviews in specific forums immeadiately rather than here like we used to. *shrug* Didn't see any thread with the title so thought I'd put one up. Enough people review these days I really don't need to anyway. Let this slide on back fishies.

mmaiden42
Stingray
Stingray
5,767 Posts

[Post New]by mmaiden42 on Jul 11, 09 6:18 AM
Hang on just one cotton-pickin minute here. Of course you need to do your reviews. I garner a lot of information from them, they are always well written and very informative. I am more likely to read your review in chit-chat than to go looking in the actual game forum. Please don't stop reviewing them.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 11, 09 6:19 AM
Hmmm I thought popular demand was a TGT thread in chit chat. This is a new thing BF giving reviews-

okey dokey then I will go post in that thread!

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jul 11, 09 6:31 AM
I think BF is just trying to keep the forums neat & tidy. One of the Mods said this was going to happen today. From now on a forum will start as soon as a game hits BF. This also saves the Mods a lot of work with moving threads back into the proper forum. I think a game review thread is BF is starting to move it's forum area towards one like Gamezebo which is much more organized.

Chit-chat will eventually be just for other stuff like.... well chit-chat. This is what I am assuming of course.

http://mcfforum.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/43669.page <<<<< the thread for reviews on this game where anyone can post their review and thoughts about the game.

Edited on 07/11/2009 at 6:33:17 AM PST

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jul 11, 09 6:33 AM
I hope this is not a done deal and in cement !!
One of the things I loved about TGT was having a day to review/discuss the game in chit chat

There are games I would have never thought to buy until I read the chit chat thread. you make more $$$ that way
And I love Poodles reviews

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 11, 09 6:36 AM
I, too, looked here first, lol. After arriving homeThis morning, from my last night at work this week, and knowing I have the next five days off, I eagerly booted up and after quickly scrolling through mail and news, I said to self, "Alright, now let's go check BF and see if the promised hog is there......and YES, so I started the downloading the demo, and while I was waiting, I looked here to see if anyone else had done so. I was so excited.....yes, I know, I need to get a life, lol...and decided to hold off my own comments until I atleast opened the game........heck, I didn't even get past the fire at Grimstone Mansion before I went ahead and bought the game, lol. Now I am at the first runic puzzle and I have to admit I am too tired to figure it out, but I love these types of puzzles, so I am gonna close out, go to bed, get my well deserved beauty rest and come back in this evening. Thanks BF for bringing this one on for us. It does look like an interesting one, and I know I am going to enjoy it. And yes, before I go to bed, I will go ahead and check out the actual game forum.......I am so hooked <grin>.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jul 11, 09 6:39 AM
TGT did not used to get a Forum until the game was released for everybody

Well, technically TGT is released to everyone since anyone can buy it for $6.99. Join the BF game club, buy it, cancel game club. TGT doesn't have the same meaning as it did before the game club changes.

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on Jul 11, 09 6:52 AM
Thanks Poodlebear for the review. I like to see somebody else's opinion of new games. That why I like to visit the gamezebo game site. I wish we at bigfish had a proper review section, of all new games. Not just question and answer threads in the game forum.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 11, 09 6:53 AM
Oh boy - so I guess if a game happens to be rubbish - the thread will get off to a good start with the BF spin on it LOL-
and Mirror Mirror gets a mention in the same class as this game, Enlightenus and RTR? How interesting.

If BF are going to set the tone of the thread from the start I don't think it is going to be the same as it will be all in agreeance and how the game sounds great as described etc.. and all well and good if it is- this is a very good game... but anyway....

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 11, 09 7:04 AM
I disagree Scotcat. Only GC members can DL the TGT. I do agree that part of the fun of the TGT was the discussions in the Chit-Chat Forum and we can still do that. A little of the Magic is gone though but i can't explain it.

This is an interesting game. I have only played about 15 min. so far and will use a credit on it. I do have one complaint. There is only one Hint at a time and it reloads slowly. My vision is not great and some items are hard to see. So far I have needed at least two Hints per **** scene and the wait is so tiresome. I am finding more and more new HOGs with this kind of Hint system. This often makes it very hard for me and boring if i have to wait for the Hint to load more than once. I much prefer having maybe 5 Hints and the ability to find more. If I could see better I might not need any but sadly I need them. The graphics in this game are not always clear and some of the objects are transparent. Some objects are sensitive where you click. So far I have wasted two Hints on items I found to start with but were not recognized because I did not click in the right spot on them. That is another thing that makes long loading Hints so frustrating. Also, you cannot have a "clickfest" in order to skip the Hint system. Click too much and your curser starts spinning.

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Jul 11, 09 7:04 AM
Poodlebear.... dont you dare stop giving reviews..........

They need to fix the newest forum link. Its had the same game up for days....

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jul 11, 09 7:08 AM
I like having the review thread in chit-chat too. Oh well.

I didn't play the demo of 42 very long myself. For one thing, you can't play in windowed mode. Then the first scene had too much blood for my tastes. But then I steer clear of games like the James Patterson club series too, and Madame Fate was pushing the boundaries for me.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Jul 11, 09 7:12 AM
I read the review that BF posted on this game and it's not like they are saying "buy it, don't buy it". They are just laying out the facts of what the game is like, what kind of gameplay you can expect to find and what other games they feel it compares to. The reviews at GZ do the same thing. I would never buy a game based on a review, whether it is here or on another site like GZ. Reviews help to let you know whether it is worth your time to try it, but a smart shopper should always try the demo first to see if the game clicks with them. Lots of people liked the Magician's handbook and it got great reviews, but I tried it and it just wasn't my style of game (as in story wise) so I took a pass on it. So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: I like that BF is putting up their own "synopsis" of the game and it's no different than other sites doing the same.

As for creating a game forum immediately for the new TGT...I like this. I think BF is trying to streamline their site more. Besides, it saves the mods work of having to move threads back and forth all day long, and keeps the chit chat corner free of clutter. And puts all the game information...reviews, pleas for help, questions and solutions....in one place. I think it's great...instead of having 10 scattered threads all throughout chit chat now you can find it all in one place. It's what many of us asked for.

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jul 11, 09 7:18 AM

I imagine we will get used to it. I like that there is a thread just for reviews and opinions..... Poodle...please comtinue your reviews!! LK too!!
Now, just needs to get "The Newest Forum" up to date so we can find it with ease.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Jul 11, 09 7:25 AM
Thanks Poodlebear for the review. I'm downloading and can't wait to play.
...Just a reminder to everyone ... the three changes discussed in this thread were all things that fish in the Pond requested and on which BFG delivered. ---
1. We wanted our TGT back on the BFG home page - now it is!!
2. Because Chit-Chat would get flooded with new threads for TGT games, we asked for the Game Forum to be created at the time the game was offered -- now it is!!
3. We asked that a review thread be created at the same time as the game forum and be stickied to the top of that game's forum where everyfish could find it easily -- now it is!!

...I think BFG has listened to us and made the changes we requested. Poodlebear and others can quickly find the review thread to write their reviews. And then, all fish can find the review thread quickly ... even several days after the release when it's usually buried several pages deep.
...It's just a couple of changes that I'm sure we'll quickly get used to. Happy Gaming everyone!!

Edited on 07/11/2009 at 8:15:11 AM PST

Grannynoo
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by Grannynoo on Jul 11, 09 7:57 AM
Poodlebear please continue with your reviews. I always check what you have to say before I play the demo.

pdebusk
Clownfish
Clownfish
745 Posts

[Post New]by pdebusk on Jul 11, 09 8:13 AM
Poodlebear - your reviews are always thoughtfully written with the right amount of information regarding the more "critical" aspects of the game. I hope you continue to post them.

While I do like forming my own opinion, I also find reviews/comments from fellow fishies very useful. They provide certain points to keep in mind when I am playing the demo of a game for myself. I appreciate the time and effort that go into these reviews.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 11, 09 8:25 AM
scotcat wrote:I think BF is just trying to keep the forums neat & tidy. One of the Mods said this was going to happen today. From now on a forum will start as soon as a game hits BF. This also saves the Mods a lot of work with moving threads back into the proper forum. I think a game review thread is BF is starting to move it's forum area towards one like Gamezebo which is much more organized.

Chit-chat will eventually be just for other stuff like.... well chit-chat. This is what I am assuming of course.

http://mcfforum.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/43669.page <<<<< the thread for reviews on this game where anyone can post their review and thoughts about the game.

But if they are not moving threads around what on earth are they going to be doing with themselves all day, we are such good little they might get bored with nothing to do.

Go to: