Possibly threat/virus attached to the launcher for the game?????

[Post New]by zotti65 on Jul 3, 15 12:07 PM
I tried to upload the game again with the bigfish game manager....my norton antivirus popped up and gave me a warning about a virus:Filename: launcher.exe
Threat name: SONAR.Heuristic.132
Full Path: c:\program files (x86)\spirit of revenge - elizabeths secret collector's edition\launcher.exe

Apparently it is located in the launcher....could somebody please check into this!!!
I update my norton daily!!!

I will email this also to the support!!!!

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

Re:Possibly threat/virus attached to the launcher for the game?????

[Post New]by Poof11 on Jul 3, 15 8:03 PM
Just bought this tonight and sadly my Norton found the same problem. I did not find it last week when I downloaded the demo, so I kinda think it has something to do with the fix that was added. I had no problems playing last week what so ever but tonight, I can't even get it to launch due to this virus. What happened to the promise that all BFG games are virus free?

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Jul 3, 15 8:12 PM
Virus Messages

http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/165

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Jul 4, 15 4:26 AM
I've had this problem off and on for years. Be aware that games here are absolutely virus free. It's an overly cautious antivirus program that thinks otherwise, particularly with randomly named files. A "heuristic" finding is not that of a proven virus, simply a file whose characteristics mimic those already established (random naming). If you feel comfortable doing so, add the file name that your antivirus finds objectionable to the ignore list within the program (instructions on how to do this should be on your antivirus program's website), or simply disable your antivirus during download and installation. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you should submit the file to your antivirus company as a possible false positive so they can verify and remove it from their virus definitions. To do this, go to Google and type "Norton submit a false positive" (or whatever your antivirus might be). That should send you to a page with instructions.

Every single detection from BFG that my antivirus sounded the alarm over proved out to be a false positive finding.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jul 4, 15 5:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

LarkBea is absolutely right - the games from this site are guaranteed to be 100% virus-free and that any virus warning in relation to these games would be a false positive. I also recommend adding the file to the ignore list as well as contacting the antivirus company.

In addition, here's a clickable version of the link that tazruby2000 kindly posted:

Virus Messages

If there's still any trouble with this, I recommend that you contact our Technical Support Team HERE with a Dr. Felix Report. Our Reps are always glad to help.

Since this thread is regarding a tech issue, I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread. If you notice any other tech issues in the future, you're definitely welcome to post in the following thread:

Please post any TECH ISSUES for Spirit of Revenge: Elizabeth's Secret Collector's Edition here

Best of luck,

bfgWaimea

Edited on 07/04/2015 at 5:22:30 PM PST

Go to: