Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by xandersmomk on Nov 27, 10 4:43 PM
I love MCF but this one didn't live up IMO. The ending didn't make sense in regards to the beginning. I won't say anything more for those of you who haven't played it. Now the acting has never been Oscar worthy so its not that I am upset about. The collecting was lame and the actual hidden object puzzles too easy. There weren't very many of them neither. Too much attention developing the video responses which I didn't like. I paid full price for CE and I am not happy I did. Having the bonus game not being acessable until 100% done sucks since I paid full price. I played on a laptop so the weed puzzle was impossible. I thought there was a trick like bleaching the ground. I hate timed puzzles since I am lame at them. I will give you that some of the puzzles were just challenging enough but once I skipped one I skipped a few since I knew I already blew the achievement. Come on developers! Stick to the formula that works! Hope the next MCF is a whole lot better!

Edited on 11/27/2010 at 4:43:53 PM PST

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cougar2000 on Nov 27, 10 5:16 PM
So far the decision is still out on the overall game. I need help , i am stuck in the underground tomb. Trying to get the trap door open. This game does not even explain a thing about the trap door. Please help. or I'm afraid I will have to dump this one.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Nov 27, 10 5:29 PM
cougar2000 wrote:So far the decision is still out on the overall game. I need help , i am stuck in the underground tomb. Trying to get the trap door open. This game does not even explain a thing about the trap door. Please help. or I'm afraid I will have to dump this one.

cougar2000, did you look at the chest next to the trap door stairs? You should see goblets and some plates that are missing goblets. Then you should be given the task to go back and find all those missing goblets. Hope this helps.

SHOff
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by SHOff on Nov 27, 10 5:40 PM
I had no problems with the install. However, about 2 hours into the game my computer crashed while I was doing one of the puzzles. Windows did a repair and when I was able to get back to desktop the game icon was gone and the game was not in my Game Manager. Apparently, Windows identified the game as the problem. Anyone else encounter this or anything similar? I'm reluctant to attempt to download it again.

[Post New]by cleokelani on Nov 27, 10 6:22 PM
Hello to all there ,
I can not understand why people put a comment or review if they only played a demo version ,I like MCF and I will buy this one ,no matter of yours negative reviews( only beacuse DEMO was not OHHH ) Hey ,wake up ,put your review after playing the whole game .More the times when I go to buy a game ,I always look to the forum first ,to see whay * YOU* fishes say about and not every time I am pleased ,its all depends of the person style and prefer ..so people who didnt play the whole game,can you please dont put any opinion on here,no need .And as I said Its about taste ,different people different taste .After my bad experience buying a game ,after your lovely *comments* -I just read the forum -YES!!!But I dont care what you said ,its about ME ,what I like ...So please can you just be quiet ,if you never played the whole story !

Thank you !!!!!
p.s. Lately I read that one of the most posting person here is taking RTR as a daily DD ,never played it yet...I cant believe why people comment something they never played ...

d3isme
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by d3isme on Nov 27, 10 6:49 PM
BF is going to have to go a lot more "wrong" with the MCF series before I'm disappointed. I'm not super crazy about the move away from the fully animated look, but this was still a beautiful game and superior to most of what is out there.

I skipped all the videos in Dire Grove, so was dismayed to see so much more live action integrated with this one. In the end though, I found this one was less jarring visually, because there was less difference between one type of aesthetic and the other. I thought the acting was good (it's a genre story, it's going to have stereotypical characters) and some things that seemed "off" were explained by the overall story arc. Mama Aimee was particularly good. (The barkeep isn't listed in the credits, btw, don't know if that's an oversight or not). The passing of objects back & forth was rather fun.

I do think it's a mistake to not be able to mute the voices and just listen to the atmospheric soundtrack which I really liked. The voices really jar me out of my game reverie. This is especially important for the 'nagging' voiceovers.

That aside, this was a great game. The hidden object scenes were good in the usual MCF way. No pixel hunting or overly dark scenes, just careful mis-scaling and hiding in plain sight - fun! I miss the morphing, but that's not a deal breaker.
I skipped a couple of puzzles (the weeds!) as tricky to do with a trackpad, but that's fine with me. Most of them were fun. I also appreciate the hint + skip options are there.

Play time, including the bonus, came in at around 10 hours. No rushing, but steady progress. I enjoyed the humour - straight (the pirate's cook ;-) and black (chose to do wrong, suffer the consequences). A fabulous couple of days play and well worth the $14 IMO.

AND I very much appreciated that we Mac users got the game on general release this time (even if it meant sharing the bugs ;-) Thank you for all your hard work on that guys. I know that was something you were really working at (after previous editions were delayed so long).
Thank you for a great game!

Edited on 11/27/2010 at 6:51:22 PM PST

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Nov 27, 10 6:53 PM
queenbee43j wrote:I loved this game! Until the last couple of chapters! Then it is one puzzle after the other! Some puzzles will let you skip them, some will not! I hate the puzzles and will skip them if it will let you! I found the Cannon puzzles impossible to figure out, that is where I quit playing the game, What a rip off! I could not even finish the bonus adventure because I could not finish the game! Big Fish I am very upset with you!!!!!!

Username befits the comment.

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Nov 27, 10 7:22 PM
All I can say is WOW. After Dire Grove, I waited with great anticipation to see if Mystery Case Files would dazzle me again, and I was not disappointed. I just finished the game after about seven hours of the most fun I've had gaming since Dire Grove first came out.

I can't wait to play it again. I am still trying to complete all the achievements in Dire Grove, so now I have a double challenge and I am loving every minute of it.

Great game, great graphics, great characters, nicely dark but, unlike so many, not so dark that you get eyestrain in the HOG scenes.

Wonderful game. Ten out of ten stars!

lvbrule
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by lvbrule on Nov 27, 10 7:31 PM
I HAD SO MUCH FUN PLAYING THIS ONE! and the bonus! Going to play it "snarky" now. Thanks again BFG!

Mischie
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Mischie on Nov 27, 10 8:36 PM
Firstly it was good, but not as good as dire grove.
Secondly I rarely whinge about big fish games, as when I have had trouble, the technical support is excellent and most times I have been able to fix what ever is wrong.
However I want to whinge about the technical problems with this game as it firstly took three goes to download it. Then I got stuck at collecting the chalices - it was only by chance that by reading the forum I found I had to download the game again and then it would let me collect the chalices. My whinge was that it didnt come up on game manager as an update and 2ndly this game which is a large file game took 4 goes and has used up a lot of my allowance for the billing month, which impacts on how slow my future downloads will be. so am a bit annoyed

Baywolfe
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Baywolfe on Nov 27, 10 10:06 PM
Here's what I liked.
1) Large sprawling southern mansion with surrounding grounds and town made for tons of areas to explore.
2) Interesting puzzles and "games". Very few that I've seen before.
3) No indication as to what sex "Master Detective" is, they never speak aloud.
4) Favor/task based advancement was different, although possibly a little "corny".
5) The Captain's door puzzle. That was greatness.
6) The whole Dead Piratey theme. Ghosts, skulls, pirate ships!
7) The "in" jokes.

Here's what I didn't like.
1) Real life actors. I could not suspend disbelief and it kept taking me out to the game. They were fine actors, I just didn't care for the switch, and the end game, with the same cliched threats over and over and over, were just silly. I like when the game doesn't intrude in what's going on in your head while you're playing it.
2) Any puzzle that you had to guess at the solution and could not be solved by either a) Intellect or b) a discovered answer
3) Wouldn't a member of an organization as badass as MCF carry a gun the size of Hellboy's at all times? And why would they chase a murderous family completely unarmed?
4) As stated above, not sure some of the tasks were exactly what you picture a Master Detective accomplishing, but not complaining too much.

Edited on 11/27/2010 at 10:07:46 PM PST

[Post New]by skacel on Nov 27, 10 11:04 PM
I am sad.....just finished it and did not really care for it.
I am a huge fan of MCF, bought site unseen to add to my collection...
too slick
too dark
too polished
It's like playing in a movie I would not watch...
I didn't care for voice pressure/reminder that "hurry up" when am trying to think, way overdone to come on over and over.
While the objectives are spelled out right, no thinking involved, some of the puzzles are lacking the creativity of Ravenhearst or RTR, those where my favorites to date, and fun. For example I didn;t care to play checkers to get a clue!!!
I miss the machinery of the puzzles, loved the chickens and egg one in Ravenhearst, took me to another world, this is too real to be an escape.
All in all, I am disapointed, sad but true, a lot of work went into making this game I can tell, but the result is like another case of technical prowess taking over creativity. Think movies like Titanic and Avatar, slick but boring to me. I watched them once, that's it.
Am off to play R & RTR all over, it's more fun.

brillke
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by brillke on Nov 28, 10 12:40 AM
cleokelani wrote:Hello to all there ,
I can not understand why people put a comment or review if they only played a demo version ,I like MCF and I will buy this one ,no matter of yours negative reviews( only beacuse DEMO was not OHHH ) Hey ,wake up ,put your review after playing the whole game .More the times when I go to buy a game ,I always look to the forum first ,to see whay * YOU* fishes say about and not every time I am pleased ,its all depends of the person style and prefer ..so people who didnt play the whole game,can you please dont put any opinion on here,no need .And as I said Its about taste ,different people different taste .After my bad experience buying a game ,after your lovely *comments* -I just read the forum -YES!!!But I dont care what you said ,its about ME ,what I like ...So please can you just be quiet ,if you never played the whole story !

Thank you !!!!!
p.s. Lately I read that one of the most posting person here is taking RTR as a daily DD ,never played it yet...I cant believe why people comment something they never played ...

I only played the hour demo, although it took only a few minutes to figure out I hated the game, and I did post my negative review. The whole reason for the demo is to see if you like the game and/or have technical issues.

As you said, its about personal style and preference. I dont like the game and you do. I just think its incredibly rude to tell someone to be quiet, that you dont care what they said.

Wahoo to those that love the game and Bummer to those who dont. No need to get snotty.

unicornone
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by unicornone on Nov 28, 10 12:44 AM
Read other comments and all I can say is that this is one of the best game I have played this year. Not easy and I would not have completed it without the strategy guide. What to do next once you have completed an objective is not always easy..but if you want a game that lasts.... this one is for you. Normally I have them finished in a matter of hours, not this time... I played and played and it still ran on. Strange ending though?? what happened to the family at the end, can't figure that out... it was as though there was an accident in the editing room and the first ending got cut and they then made up another one. All in all my kind of game, even if the chat was a bit linear at times. I really liked the use of actors.

[Post New]by cjbanks on Nov 28, 10 1:17 AM
Hi all,

Just finished the game. I'm so happy not to have had the technical issues that plagued me with Dire Grove. This was a good game. I wanted it to be great, but it just isn't in the same league of Ravenhurst, RTR and Madame Fate. This was an adventure game with a few hidden object scenes. I miss the humor, wacky characters, amazing hidden object scenes and the clever puzzles. I don't regret buying the game at all.....I enjoyed myself. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the replay factor built in. I have no desire to play again. I can't say that about MF, RTR and Ravenhurst.

[Post New]by chris137 on Nov 28, 10 3:20 AM
Looks like another great MCF game... I can't get past Pippi.. He's so adorable, I keep clicking on him. 'Pippi! Knock it off!'

[Post New]by Tayuko on Nov 28, 10 3:25 AM
Hey please somebody help me!!!! I've been playing MCF 13th Skull since it released.I ve searched strategy guide, walktrought videos on youtube etc... But I can't still do anything in the graveyard ( there is a ladder and there is a hutch under the ladder). Under the screen, it tells me 'Find a way to open the trap door'. But I can't do any thing. According to the Strategy Guide, I must open the hutch, then I must receive new mission (searching the missing goblets). I opened the hutch but I don't receive the new mission. My game stopped please somebody help me!!!!!!!!!

[Post New]by JayArDee on Nov 28, 10 7:08 AM
Best game ever from BFG! I seldom ever get the CE versions of games, but after the demo, I couldn't wait and I wasn't disapointed.

Loved the live actors. The storyline was interseting as well. Game was suspenseful and humorous at the same time.

BFG!

[Post New]by mcfaddymirer on Nov 28, 10 7:35 AM
I am a huge fan of MCF games. This one was worth the wait.

phizz
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by phizz on Nov 28, 10 7:42 AM
I don't feel this was their best. My daughter and I were both disappointed that when you get all the pieces of something, you don't then get to put the pieces together like a pzzle; it does it for you. The 'fear factor' was too low, as well.

Go to: