Re:PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville ™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by muttleyiam on May 19, 10 10:36 PM
I loved that it was offered as a Daily Deal. I love it when the deal is for hidden object games. I am addicted.

Although I agree with all about the fantastic graphics and music, I breezed through the whole game in about 2 hours not missing anything or any puzzles. It seemed quite easy to me, and I wish it had been just a little longer and harder. I still find that the Ravenhearst games were much more challenging to me.

I hope the next sequel game will be much longer and challenging too. Overall, liked the game very much! Kudos to the creators. Keep up the good work....

Miridau
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Miridau on May 20, 10 12:33 AM
What a super game. Got it on the DD and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to have appropriate objects rather than ´cheese graters in the sky´! Looking forward to the sequel.

[Post New]by nursepammyj on May 20, 10 1:12 AM
I have to echo what others have said....great game, love the storyline, music was wonderful but got kind of tedious, which was ok, I just plugged in my earbuds and pulled them out when I had enough....I must be a rather slow player, because I played for several hours....really enjoyed it...Thanks BF for the daily deal....and can't wait for the sequel....kudos to the developers...keep them coming!

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on May 20, 10 8:23 AM
Thanks to all who recommended this one! What fun--& it did spook me a bit near the end. Eerie music-lush, colorful graphics--a variety of puzzles. I look forward to a sequel--or has there already been one? Anyway, for 2.99 this was a real deal!

Gropitou
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Gropitou on May 20, 10 1:29 PM
Beautiful graphics, love the no penalties for random clicking. A bit disappointed as not much left once trial hour over.

joni12
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by joni12 on May 20, 10 7:30 PM
I just purchased this game 5/19/10 I tried to play it, and I must tell you that it is the most horrible game that I have ever purchased I can see why this game was $2.99 plus tax. It is extremely confusing and no fun at all. If you look at my purchase history, you will see that I purchase a lot of games. I am so sorry, that I purchased this one. Can I get a refund? please let me know.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 20, 10 7:48 PM
Just finished going clear thru my new Daily Deal game, and I loved it.

I managed to go thru all of it without skipping puzzles or getting really stuck, and I'm happy about that. It reminds me of Deadtime Stories in having a surreal feel to it (- I'm sort of thinking that if you like the one, you may like the other, assuming you don't mind Deadtime Stories' occult theme).

The story kept me interested, even if it stopped short to some extent.

As for the graphic environment... in one hidden object scene I was mesmerized by the intricate fabric of the doll's dress, if that's a clue... I really like the old but upscale furnishings.

jeannemaria
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by jeannemaria on May 20, 10 9:30 PM
Two days ago I trialled and bought this game. As i stated before, this type of game is NOT really my cup of tea. I loved the graphics and i did like the hidden objects part and also the Puzzles. What I hate about his type of game is that i need the Walkthrough to know what to do next and where to go. I think a Walkthrough is Cheating. I do use Hints in other games to find the Hidden items, but i use them very seldom. Using Hints may also be a bit of cheating, but I consider it a bit of Help. After all Hints are Part of the Games, which a Walkthrough is not. I am not sorry I bought this game for $2.99. I would never have paid full price for it. With the help of the Walkthrough, 4 times I think, I am now near the end of the game. In future I will definitely give a MISS to Games with a Walkthrough and Strategy guide.

Happy Gaming to everyone

behindbj
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by behindbj on May 21, 10 1:11 PM
Loved this game. I actually bought it during a prior sale of some sort (Can't remember...) Beautiful to look at, interesting story, some traveling and puzzling along with the item-searching.

One tiny, tiny quibble: I was hoping that there would have been more automata. The intro buildup (the discussion with the residents of the town) indicated that the Puppetmaster put the "living dolls" all over the place, but there were only a few in the story. Granted, they were awesome. But I felt a little cheated on that.

Like I said, tiny (and odd) quibble.

sandyca
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
450 Posts

[Post New]by sandyca on May 21, 10 11:35 PM
Yep, yep, yep, purchased this game during it's daily deal and I have to say that I LOVE it, love the graphics, love the gaming, and love love love the music, how beautiful. Awesome game! Thank you BFG!

[Post New]by girlgeek on May 25, 10 1:07 PM
Absolutely FANTASTIC game! I will definitely be watching for more from the people who made it, and anxiously await the opportunity to purchase their next game. Reviewing this game would be very difficult without ruining for anyone playing it. Suffice it to say...the story is fantastic, it's creepy (and gets creepier the further in you get, to the point of really.../shiver). Puppets have always freaked me out anyway from the time I was a young child to now, and I'm 47. So that's a lot of years of being "creeped out." lol

I can't recommend this game enough. Yes...it's a wee bit on the easier side, HOWEVER...I'm honestly pretty sick of games that are so mind-bending I can't even finish them without crying for help, when the puzzles are SO obtuse they simply make no sense. THIS GAME, thankfully, is not like that. I actually ENJOYED playing it rather than slamming my head into a wall. Really, for me, it's probably just about the right balance of fun/challenge. Perhaps next time they will make an "easy/medium/hard" mode to accommodate those people that think it's fun to get a headache playing a game. Or rather I should say...their preferred difficulty level....would give ME a headache.

Anyway...outstanding story. Great atmosphere. Fantastic artistic design. Perfect musical score for the atmosphere, a delightful sounding game. Easy 9/10 for me. I only wish it was longer, but...I'm glad there is more to come!

Edited on 05/25/2010 at 1:09:01 PM PST

alphab22m
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by alphab22m on May 28, 10 12:11 PM
This is one a few that are more than good, compares to Dire Grove, and the Ravenhurst's. I was sad when it was over. Also, had no glitches or freezes of any kind. Money well spent. Thanks BF

[Post New]by kcollazo on May 28, 10 2:31 PM
Ohh My God!!! Loved the story; it gave me the creeps. But as usual, the game was too short. Take me just a couple of hours to complete it.

Yetses
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville ™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by Yetses on May 28, 10 3:08 PM
absolutely gorgeous graphics. I did not find it too easy...love it.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on May 29, 10 4:03 PM
Oh my goodness did I enjoy this game! I had downloaded the trial to the sequel and went to that forum and everyone was raving about Mystery of Joyville so I purchased it without trying it. I was not disappointed in the least. The artwork, animation, colors, storyline, graphics -- everything superb. I would place this in my top 3 for enjoyment (Syberia I and II being first and second). I only had to look at the walkthrough one time to get the help for the fuse puzzle, but other than that I'm thrilled that I was able to play this game in 2 sittings and really took my time. Very seldom do I enjoy a game as much as I enjoyed this one. I am very tempted to forego the trial version of the new PuppetShow (I haven't started playing it yet) and bite the bullet and purchase the CE. If the second one is as good or better than this one -- I will be one happy camper. Thank you BFG for a real winner. I give two thumbs up and ten 's.

Edited on 05/29/2010 at 4:04:54 PM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 30, 10 1:11 AM
kcollazo wrote:Ohh My God!!! Loved the story; it gave me the creeps. But as usual, the game was too short. Take me just a couple of hours to complete it.
If you feel a little frustrated...just buy the sequel, it took me over 6 hours, one little extra hour with the extra bit (I'm a slow player and enjoyed every minute of this one), so this game is for you !!

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on May 30, 10 6:47 AM
This game has reallygood graphics, but I was expecting more. there are too many hidden object scenes and the puzzles are way too easy. Every time you hit a puzzle the pop up dialogue in the bottom of the screen gives you the solution on what tool to use. sorry I bought this. will not buy the next one.

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on May 30, 10 9:53 PM
Complete enjoyment. Beautiful to look at and wonderful structure, not too repetitive. This is well above the usual junkpile of hidden object games, the adventure is chilling and draws you through. Just the right level of difficulty for when you want a little challenge, not a major frustration. Not as hard (or rewarding) as the Ravenhearst games, but better graphics than the early Ravenhurst games, so I enjoyed it very much. Taking my time, I probably spent about 4 hours in a very relaxed way. Mini Puzzles are not hard, never had to skip. In searching for objects, I only had to use a hint once (and was embarassed -- I just wasn't looking). Very fair without being too obvious. As far as following through the game to get what I needed and where I needed to use it, the game was intuitive, and I searched around a few times but only got stuck once. BF's walkthrough helped me there. Bottom Line: Well worth the 6.99. THANKS BF!!

One spoiler hint below, because to me it was the most baffling thing. Don't read if you don't want to know.

*** When you need a punch card, be sure you have punched in the right numbers from the bookcase ***

Edited on 05/30/2010 at 9:58:37 PM PST

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 1, 10 9:48 PM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

Absolutely loved the graphics - clear, with nice warm colors. (reminded me a bit of Deadtime Stories and Enlightenus in that respect) They were gorgeous! I also loved the fact that the storyline was holding together well and making sense, something that's not always the case with HOG/iHOG games (I'm looking at you Rasputin's Curse and The Heritage.)

Most of the time I don't like putting a ton of mental effort into something I'm supposed to be relaxing and having fun with - so the fact that the game nudged you along a lot of the time was a plus for me. Others may find that a bit offputting, though. I also liked the fact that the puzzle elements (both HOG and minipuzzle) were incorporated into the storyline and didn't jerk you out of the scene. The HOG scenes themselves were a bit busy, but not too jumbled (yay!) which made looking for the items a little less intimidating. The fact that the hint system was infinite and refilled in about a minute was very nice too.

All in all, this was a game that really grabbed me and is definitely going on my "Absolutely Want" list. I'm looking forward to finishing it - hopefully some day soon.

[Post New]by BellaSwan_Cullen on Jun 4, 10 7:15 PM
Love it! Great game. Great story. Great graphics. Great music. Thanx BF!

Go to: