Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Age of Emerald - Untimed?

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 14, 09 2:18 AM
Ok, recently, weirdly, I have enjoyed playing a Match 3 while listening to an audio book and pretty much zoning out. Particularly when waiting for pain killers to kick in, like tonite. I just finished Lost in Reefs and I was hunting for something new and realized Age of Emerald must be by the same folks cus it uses some of the exact same icon art. BUT screenshots have a Timer and I have apparently already used up my demo time. Lost in Reefs had a Relaxed Mode option or no timer, not sure, but I played with no timer. So does anyone know?

Does Age of Emerald have a Relaxed Mode or is it Timed Only?

I have other Match 3s but find I like those that progress along a map the best. Ancient Quest of Saqqarah is darn near endless but I don't feel like I'm working towards anything and that lessens the experience somehow. If you have recommendations for Match 3s that have No Timer, Progress along a map, have pleasing graphics I'd love to hear about them. I have played Ariadne's Fate, Paradise Quest, The 7 Wonders series, Lost in Reefs, Hidden Wonders of the Depths 2 (1st one had a timer)

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

Re:Age of Emerald - Untimed?

[Post New]by Elkestra on Jul 14, 09 2:24 AM
Don't think I've played this one (doesn't look familiar), so I'll download it and try it out for you

I'll let you know shortly - only 19Mb, so it'll be a quick download.

Edited on 07/14/2009 at 2:26:48 AM PST

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Jul 14, 09 2:32 AM
Playing through the first level, there doesn't seem to be any timer - the bar on the left fills up as you get matches, and when it's full, you've completed the level (which can limit getting some of the marble plaques etc), but there isn't a timer, as such.

ETA efinitely no timer as far as I've got in the game... for that matter, I'm having a hard time even finding any way to 'fail' a level, though i guess it could be possible if you run out of moves (haven't yet).

Edited on 07/14/2009 at 3:18:25 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 14, 09 3:53 AM
This is super, thanks so much for your effort! Off to buy and queue up a new book.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jul 14, 09 2:31 PM
Hi Poodle,

A nice untimed match-3 game is Puzzle Park. It also has pleasant graphics. I don't remember the music so apparently at the very least it wasn't annoying. And it also has some fun powerups and progresses along a map.

Edited on 07/14/2009 at 2:34:56 PM PST

lastoasis
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by lastoasis on Jul 14, 09 3:23 PM
How about World Adventure? It doesn't have a timer, just number of moves. I like it a lot. It gets pretty challenging but not stressful because you can take time to plan. It progresses along a map, and you find treasures that you bring back to the museum.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jul 14, 09 4:49 PM
lastoasis wrote:How about World Adventure? It doesn't have a timer, just number of moves. I like it a lot. It gets pretty challenging but not stressful because you can take time to plan. It progresses along a map, and you find treasures that you bring back to the museum.

That's another good suggestion for Poodlebear. I just finished World Adventure a couple of weeks ago.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 14, 09 10:06 PM
Ok, this is one of those times the Mods got over-zealous with moving posts to the game specific forum based solely on topic title I guess, though I suppose that was my bad and should have named it something less specific. YES I asked about Emerald Age but I also asked for other Match 3 recomendations. Once this was moved no one would be looking in the Emerald Age forum to either answer my original question nor give suggestions. This is why a General Game Discussion Forum is desperately needed. Ah, well. Luckily I got my answer to initial question (thanks again Elkestra!) before it was moved.

To answer those who were good enough to make suggestions (thank you) before this was whisked away...

lastoasis - Bought World Adventure, which I loved at first but then got completely, totally, hopelessly stuck on the dreaded 5th island or whater the breakdown was. I have no idea how many times I played that level to no avail. Got super close several times only to fail needing one more piece. It has been deleted.

Howatch - I also very much enjoyed Puzzle Park and have played that through.

Luckily we are beginning to see more Match 3s with Relaxed so I just need to finish up what I already have and I guess keep demo-ing. Thanks again all!

[Post New]by lillamary on Jan 18, 10 3:00 PM
Hi,
If you are looking for an untimed game that is rewarding as-you-go,will beautiful graphics and sound,the best one I have ever played is "Babylonia!" So beautiful..I was sorry when it ended,and it is the only game I have kept long term and repeat played.I'm a Gran,and even though I have patience I am nearly over this Age of Emerald.It drags on and on,and I think the people should appear automatically with the buildings.Please try Babylonia,you will not be disappointed.If anyone has played it and agrees with me,do you know any others like it? from Heather.

[Post New]by Beronika1954 on May 1, 10 6:03 PM
Have you done Fishdom? It has an untimed mode and it is very addictive and relaxing.

Go to: