bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Many Years Ago comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 16, 09 1:30 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Many Years Ago. If you'd like to comment with what you thought of this game, please feel free to post them in this discussion thread.

Comments:
Many Years Ago is a strategy game in which players must take control of island natives in order to help them thrive. Villagers must gather food as well as materials for building shelters, storage units and temples. Villagers are, for the most part, pretty self-sufficient and don’t need a lot of watching beyond ensuring that they have food, so as long as they have what they need they’ll take care of themselves when the need arises. In a lot of cases, villagers can just be set to tasks and left alone, though some will wander off and will need to be put back on task after becoming distracted during a break. The mini-games are cute and are a great way to earn experience points for leveling up, as well as extra materials for your village. Unfortunately, there isn’t much that makes this game stand out from other stranded island strategy games, but the colorful artwork and ease of game play make this a great game for younger gamers and those that like to multitask between work and a fun, lighthearted distraction.

Genre:
This is primarily a strategy game with puzzle mini-games.

Game Modes:
Many Years Ago has a story mode and a mini-game mode. The mini-games are unlocked in story mode and can be played within the story mode or they can be played independently from the main menu.

Depth:
This has a total of 27 tasks and eight mini-games. The tasks are pretty straight-forward and are pretty quick to complete as long as the entire town is set to a task at almost all times. A determined gamer or one who does not take the time to play the mini-games could probably complete this game in one sitting.

Similar to:
Many Years Ago is much like other stranded island strategy games, such as Escape from Paradise and Virtual Villagers.

Difficulty level:
Many Years Ago is easy to understand, especially since every task is easily available and is very clear as to what the task involves.

Reviewed by E.G.

Edited on 07/16/2009 at 8:23:46 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Many Years Ago comments and reviews

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jul 16, 09 1:46 AM
Lovely game, stunning graphics.

Tested - but I am tired of playing The Sims, so I'll pass...

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 16, 09 2:46 AM
I had an Error Access Violation after 10 minutes of play and the programme was terminated. I tried again and the same thing happened. The third time I used the System Cursor and did not have any problems after that.

The game is definitely an Escape from Paradise clone but, unlike that game, as long as there is food the people will go and eat and drink when they require it so that is a plus. It is very easy to gain Experience Points (XP) in this game because there are three nests on the islands and every few minutes a new XP token appears in the nest and you just click on it to pick it up and then divvy (share) the experience out where you want it. However unlike VV they take care of making the babies themselves and you can't hurry them . There are plants on the island that your Chief can eat that will make her/him younger.

I like the Match 3 mini games that I have played so far (no timer ) which are like Hidden Wonders of the Depths but instead of a crab it is a baby tiger that you have to get round to the treasure chest which, when opened, has very generously given me a whole 1 wood each time so far.

I found it a nice relaxing game to play but, if I wasn't as addicted to this type of game as I am to HOGs I wouldn't buy it due to its similarity to EFP, but being as I am addicted I am off to buy it.

C

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Jul 16, 09 3:01 AM
A nice relaxing game to play!!!! I LOVE IT !!! Thanks BFG!!!!

Ruslaners
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Ruslaners on Jul 16, 09 3:09 AM
Wow!!! Best of the Best! I really enjoyed it and am buying it.

[Post New]by gailprentice on Jul 16, 09 4:11 AM
It sounds like this would be a good introduction to "sim"-type games...what do you all think?

I have never played this type of game (they sound difficult to me) except Harvest Moon AWL and that is too hard for me right now. TIA!

This would be for 9 and 10-year-olds?

Edited on 12/20/2010 at 6:29:42 AM PST

mamachi
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by mamachi on Jul 16, 09 6:30 AM
I have the Error violation too. Now I will try to change the cursor. Thanks for the tips hope it will work.

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Jul 16, 09 8:18 AM
gailprentice,

I beta'd this game and it was the first of its type I played. It was fairly straightforward and not too hard to pick up on. The best thing to do would be try the demo and see what you think.

MayaKirax,

You'll want to post your question on another thread. This one is for reviews and comments only. No game play helps or tips so it may not get answered. As I haven't played for a few months I can't help you.

erwin042
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by erwin042 on Jul 16, 09 8:22 AM
It's a reveal to see the members are intelligent enough to drink or eat themselfs.
I like the fact I can play minigames too. Are those also available in the Sims?

I started the building of the kindergarten.

[Post New]by gailprentice on Jul 16, 09 8:31 AM
Thanks, AnnBy!

frummy
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by frummy on Jul 16, 09 9:32 AM
Tried for about half an hour. It is not my kind of game. Happy gaming for those who like these sort of games.

Edited on 07/16/2009 at 9:33:22 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 16, 09 11:01 AM
gailprentice wrote:It sounds like this would be a good introduction to "sim"-type games...what do you all think?

I have never played this type of game (they sound difficult to me) except Harvest Moon AWL and that is too hard for me right now. TIA!

Yes I think this would be a very good game to start with because you are not stressed out trying to ensure that everyone eats, drinks and sleeps, the buildings are built quicker and you do not have to accumulate thousands of tech points in order to solve the next puzzle/advancement.

Try the demo and happy gaming.

C

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 16, 09 2:00 PM
I found this game boring in the trial time. It`s not my cup of tea.
I give it only /

[Post New]by krispug23 on Jul 16, 09 3:59 PM
The game was fun. I liked how it was not real time but it did make the game short. I was able to beat it within a few hours. I was a little disappointed that there were not more challenges or more challenging.

player84
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by player84 on Jul 16, 09 6:10 PM
The game got stuck just a few minutes after I bought it, I had to start over. I hope that it does not continue.

Jaboulka
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Jaboulka on Jul 16, 09 9:10 PM
krispug23 wrote:The game was fun. I liked how it was not real time but it did make the game short. I was able to beat it within a few hours. I was a little disappointed that there were not more challenges or more challenging.

I defintely agree with krispug23. Fun game, some nice ideas like people taking care of themselves, nice mini games and nice graphic too (babies are really cute! ).

However too short and too easy. Finished it in few hours and when I got the end I was disappointed.

That's my personal opinion.

Jennypenny
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by Jennypenny on Jul 17, 09 12:17 AM
I loved Virtual Villagers and Escape from Paradise, but this game was stupid and boring. The people are ridiculous. This game didn't even score one star.

Please Big Fish, give us another Virtual Villagers.

[Post New]by gailprentice on Jul 17, 09 3:19 AM
cherbtoo wrote:
gailprentice wrote:It sounds like this would be a good introduction to "sim"-type games...what do you all think?

C

Thanks, cherbtoo!

Edited on 12/20/2010 at 6:26:06 AM PST

[Post New]by wreeve2006 on Jul 17, 09 4:36 AM
Jaboulka wrote:
krispug23 wrote:The game was fun. I liked how it was not real time but it did make the game short. I was able to beat it within a few hours. I was a little disappointed that there were not more challenges or more challenging.

I defintely agree with krispug23. Fun game, some nice ideas like people taking care of themselves, nice mini games and nice graphic too (babies are really cute! ).

However too short and too easy. Finished it in few hours and when I got the end I was disappointed.

That's my personal opinion.

Totally agree that it is too short - should have had another island and more people coming to join. finished it the day I purchased it.
quite disappointed really.

cr1kt
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by cr1kt on Jul 17, 09 12:06 PM
Tsk Tsk Tsk big fish this game is way too short and predictable. You have wasted our time and money on this.I could have used my game credit for something else. I agree with others that there could have been another island and more stuff to do. Maybe next time.

Go to: