bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 20, 09 12:13 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships. Please post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Ransom of the Seven Ships takes place on Dread Island which, despite the name, appears to be the perfect getaway. Sandy beaches and warm weather should be paradise, but for Nancy Drew it is yet another mystery – and her best friend Bess’s life may be at stake! As soon as Nancy arrives on the island she is greeted by George, who frantically explains that Beth has been kidnapped. Nancy soon learns that she must solve a 300 year old Bahamian mystery and uncover the riches of El Toro's lost fleet in order to get everyone off of the island and home safe. This latest installment in the Nancy Drew series is chock-full of mystery and puzzles, as well as beautiful scenery and even the opportunity to swim through tropical waters. While Nancy has always put players' minds at work, some of Ransom's mini-games and puzzles require a timer or fast clicking, making them somewhat stronger challenges than before. Also, since the island on which the story takes place has so much ground to cover and the game is very non-linear, a player who doesn't pay attention to details may find themselves wandering aimlessly. Players that enjoy open territory, creative thinking and a challenge will love exploring the beautiful island to find clues as to where your friend has been taken. What will you find at the end of your journey - buried pirate treasure, Bess... or death?

Genre:
Ransom of the Seven Ships is of the Large File Adventure genre.

Game Modes:
This game has a non-linear story mode, complete with plenty of mini-games.

Depth:
Ransom of the Seven Ships is a non-linear game, meaning that players must rely on their sleuthing skills to continue. This is a game that will easily take up quite a bit of time.

Similar to:
This game will most likely draw in fans of the other Nancy Drew games. However, instead of the creepy feel from titles such as Curse of Blackmoor Manor, Ransom’s sunny island setting keeps things light, yet still intriguing.

Difficulty level:
Ransom of the Seven Ships is one of the most challenging games of the Nancy Drew series.Some of the mini-games are timed or require fast clicking and skill.

Review by E.G.

Edited on 07/20/2009 at 2:05:38 PM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re: Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships comments and reviews

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 20, 09 2:40 AM
Just thought I'd mention as of 2:33 am Pacific time the link to here from Chit-Chat links back to itself, not actually to here.

That said: I am on hiatus from Large File games until I finish the several I have and I'm off Nancy Drew games, which used to be a favorite, all together because of the unskippable "quiick-click" aspects every one of them have. I find these mini-games unenjoyable at best and impossible for me to complete at worst. Sooooo... no review from me on this one.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jul 20, 09 3:55 AM
Since there is no trial available for this, could anyone tell me if it is a "point and click" adventure; like the "Lights, Camera, Curses"?

crazyfor20
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by crazyfor20 on Jul 20, 09 5:03 AM
This one is where you actually solve the mystery. No hidden objects. You will interact with people, bird, whatever the task is.

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Jul 20, 09 10:08 AM
Poodlebear wrote:Just thought I'd mention as of 2:33 am Pacific time the link to here from Chit-Chat links back to itself, not actually to here.

That said: I am on hiatus from Large File games until I finish the several I have and I'm off Nancy Drew games, which used to be a favorite, all together because of the unskippable "quiick-click" aspects every one of them have. I find these mini-games unenjoyable at best and impossible for me to complete at worst. Sooooo... no review from me on this one.

still the same prob.

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Jul 20, 09 10:22 AM
Whoops! Sorry about that, folks. I've gone ahead and fixed the link.

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

[Post New]by MaryJaneZigZag on Jul 20, 09 10:32 AM

Just completed the download & am looking forward to cracking this one! I haven't played a ND game in a while - hope my problem-solving crime-fighting skills are still intact!

Re:Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships comments and reviews

[Post New]by sarasem on Jul 20, 09 2:35 PM
I am stuck on the monkeys. I beat them at the coconut game and I have yet to see a compass as a reward in the basket. How do I get the compass?

lunarhea
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by lunarhea on Jul 20, 09 5:55 PM
I have been waiting for this game for qite a while now and just finished downloading it. did the demo, but you couldn't get to play any of the mini games. so it was not really worth playing. time to Sleuth...

jacquibagley
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by jacquibagley on Jul 21, 09 2:45 AM
This is one of the worst games I have downloaded............I have now bought 3 games that you can not trial that have turned out rubbish...I will not go it again. I buy 4-6 games a week.

[Post New]by taralouiser on Jul 21, 09 10:32 AM
Has anyone else had trouble when downloading this game?
I have fab broadband that usually downloads games within minutes but this one is just so slow!!
I'm impatient and want to play ND NOW!!!

skeet1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by skeet1 on Jul 21, 09 5:02 PM
I downloaded this with a hope in my heart! Ahhhh.,another dissappointing ND mystery. The ND games have minipuzzles I despise especially the driving thing. Oh well....Last for me and PS I am getting nowhere because the instructions?? for the puzzles don't make sense. <sigh> I used to love..love ND games.

[Post New]by talonso on Jul 23, 09 3:59 AM
I'm stuck on the monkeys as well. I have beaten the monkey at coconuts a couple of times and there is no compass to choose. Does anyone else have a solution to this one.

mamas1945
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by mamas1945 on Jul 23, 09 5:17 AM
I was so excitited to see a nancy drew game ,i have them all but this is the hardest for me i truly wasted my credit. I MUST BE GETTING TO OLD FOR MY BRAIN TO FIGURE THINGS OUT HA well i hope everyone enjoys anyway

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Jul 23, 09 6:23 AM
skeet1 wrote:I downloaded this with a hope in my heart! Ahhhh.,another dissappointing ND mystery. The ND games have minipuzzles I despise especially the driving thing. Oh well....Last for me and PS I am getting nowhere because the instructions?? for the puzzles don't make sense. <sigh> I used to love..love ND games.

I agree with you. I was so looking forward to this game but it was disappointing. The driving and sailing mini games were such a drag. Alot of the puzzles were ridiculous and I had to consult a walkthrough to complete them which took out alot of the enjoyment for me and the satisfaction of having worked out and completed a puzzle by myself. It was okay, but far inferior to other nancy drew games.
I also missed having other characters to talk to. It was a bit dull.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jul 23, 09 8:33 AM
I find this game kinda stupid too, I can't stand driving around and around and never getting to where I want. I haven't even found the stupid Monkey place. Actually I did find it once but I left. Now I can't find it again, Geez. This is NOT what I expected on this game. I think from now on I'll read all the reviews and check out the walkthrough first before downloading a Nancy Drew game if i'm not sure. That should hopefully stem any worries I might have about the game being good or not. Happy gaming to all you BF players

quin1234
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by quin1234 on Jul 24, 09 5:17 PM
We just finished this one and both of us (myself & my 11 year old daughter) really enjoyed it. In fact, I preferred it over Castle Malloy (I'm still bearing a grudge over that darn drum puzzle!). Gameplay was a little different:

1. we learned quickly to check the to do list as sometimes Nancy would draw conclusions and add it to the list while we mere mortals were still scratching our heads trying to put things together

2. the right-click was finally utilized but since it's not usually we weren't expecting it and it took a while to figure out how to dig

3. instead of calling Bess & George for a hint we visit Coucou the parrot which means we need to win the monkey games to win the fruit (once you've used up the lobby fruit bowl) and the coconut toss is TOUGH! It will let you take a prize after losing 10 consecutive times (and it shames me to admit I know that) but for an item you actually need (for example the compass) it required us to actually beat the monkey at its own game.

Overall, as I said, we enjoyed it- the puzzles were challenging but the only one we had to actually find a cheat for was the pulley (and at that point in the game we probably didn't really need to cheat but were just impatient). There was a lot of driving and sailing which I could have lived without (the roads were confusing even with the map from the lobby) and the next step wasn't always obvious though the to do list helped with that quite a bit but the biggest irritant to me was the so-called non-linear gameplay. It may be considered non-linear but certain requirements have to be met for certain plot points to move forward- for example, you can win the toss game 20 times but you aren't going to get that compass until Johnny tells you he needs it. That said, we liked the background story and really enjoyed the puzzles and are looking forward to playing it again but on Senior mode.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Jul 25, 09 10:07 AM
Sorry to say I didn't like this game. Not enough characters and was too short. I did follow a walkthrough at times. Am really hoping the next one is better.

salana
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
426 Posts

[Post New]by salana on Jul 26, 09 4:39 PM
I have to admit this is one of the better games. Blackmoor Manor was my favorite. I have a ways to go yet but I am enjoying the game. Not too frustrating in the " puzzle department". I hate timed puzzles that you just can't do. This game at least lets you pick up where you left off when you run out of time. I don't care for too many characters but I love to explore. I hate too much chitter chatter. I love the parrot!!! I will finish this review at the end of the game. So far I like it.

I have finished the game and I am back to finish my review of this game. I have played all 20 Nancy Drew games and I do have my favorites. There were a few I just never finished. This game would rank in my top 5. Great puzzles and a good story line. I used two walk-thoughs and only refer to them when I am really stuck. This game made sense and there were not too many tasks. I didn't find too many what I call " video games". The clues were great and I found myself excited about solving El Toro's journal. I like a game that makes me think rather than a game that tests my game skills. I am looking forward to the next Nancy Drew game to be released soon. I hope Big Fish will offer it.... Again....GREAT GAME.

Edited on 08/07/2009 at 7:30:10 PM PST

[Post New]by southerngirl78 on Jul 27, 09 10:06 AM
Despite the mixed reviews, I am a devoted Nancy Drew fan and plan to use a credit; After all, since I only like large file mystery games, and am not a big fan of hidden object, I have enough credits to "waste" one. I like a good challenge so I'm up for the "exploring" with a hard to read map, not interacting with a lot of characters, and doing point and click challenges. . .hmmm. . .this game is starting to sound a lot like "The Crystal Skull" ND game.

I'm beginning to think that folks are giving ND games and HerInteractive in general a bad wrap. They make the games more challenging, and folks get upset, They make 'em longer gameplay, and folks get upset. They include Bess and George after folks complained about the Hardy Boys, and they get upset. Look, if you're not a true adventure game enthusiast, want something cookie cutter easy, or not a Nancy Drew fan, maybe you should stop buying the games or at least do some research before you download. Although I haven't enjoyed every game (I thought that "Scarlet Hand", "Deception Island", "Kapu Cave", and "Haunted Carousel" were too short, easy, and kiddie), I appreciate HerInteractive's mission, their success in resurrecting the Nancy Drew brand, books, etc., and that some pretty dedicated folks work hard to put these games together. They are also really good about taking criticism and input from "fans", so if you have an issue with plot, gameplay, etc., be sure to write them at the herinteractive site. They do tend to change things due to input from players.

Go to: