Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Shrouded Tales: Revenge of Shadows Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 18, 15 12:32 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/18/2015 at 2:46:29 AM PST

GimmeAHint
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shrouded Tales: Revenge of Shadows Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by GimmeAHint on Jul 18, 15 2:10 AM
This game has no collectibles or morphs which is the main reason I buy CEs. Puzzles are relatively simple and there is no option to switch out of HOPs to another game, like Match-3, so if you don't like HOPs, you're stuck with them. Also, there is no custom mode which is surprising since pretty much every game has it now. If the strategy guide is the only thing that makes it a CE, then I would save my money and wait for the SE.

The story is the same old portal, amulet and good brother faces off against bad brother story, which is very overdone and feels outdated. A definite pass for me.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shrouded Tales: Revenge of Shadows Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 18, 15 2:30 AM
A nice relaxing game for the weekend, we are the heroine equipped with a magic amulet which has 5 different abilities, growing seeds, lighting candle or fires and mending broken objects, etc.

She travels through a portal to Voldaren to assist in helping them fight the evil Razaroth who is trying to take over their world.

I loved the music it was very relaxing, the voices were very good although there was no lip synch, and the colour was great as I am not bothered about pinks, purples and blues.

Levels are Casual, Advanced and Expert, no Custom.

20 Achievements - check them out as some of them are quite different. there’s even one for using the wrong tool 20 times!

Extras: Soundtracks, Concept Art, Gallery, Mini Game and HOPs.

No little helpers so far but who knows, one might fly by.

Collectibles are Runes and Volardian Crests none of which I have found yet.

There are also scrolls to read for information about the city.

I am loving it!

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Jul 18, 15 2:33 AM
not my kind of game, very boring.

Edited on 07/18/2015 at 2:34:52 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shrouded Tales: Revenge of Shadows Collector’

[Post New]by 9otters on Jul 18, 15 2:41 AM
Replacement for my "demo joy" review...

Based on Completed Game

Even though we are dealing with the same five "spells" that we did in the prior game, the mechanics are somewhat simpler. That being said, there is a bit of a learning curve.

We will need to use our "magic", or spells, as well as some of our regular inventory items in the HOPs. After the demo, it is used minimally. The HOS end up being pretty average and rather boring.

Our spell chips need to be replaced several times. Each time, a token must be found, placed in a "pylon", and a series of mini-games, increasing in difficulty, have to be completed before the spell chip is restored .

Another layer of complexity is added because there is a "shadow world" that must be accessed to find the restoration pylons. Other needed items will also be found in that dimension. Imo, this feature was WAY OVERUSED...had to use it in practically every scene, which wore down the fun factor in a hurry.

Another negative was gameplay that relied heavily on the repair of "fantasy technology/machines". I don't know how we are supposed to know how to repair something when we have NO idea how it looks/works in the first place. Frustrating and confusing. I don't know how this game can be played without relying heavily on the strategy guide and hint system. Even still, there are places when BOTH are not helpful enough.

There are only three difficulty levels, none are customizable. I played the demo in "casual" mode so I can tell you the hints refill quickly.

Jump map was easy to use and that was good because of all the jumping back and forth, light and dark.

Extras include a bonus game that was even MORE confusing than the main game, a strategy guide, achievements (game & performance), replay of 16 mini-games, 17 HOPs, as well as replay of "videos" and music, posters, etc., etc., etc.

Collectibles are 30 runes found by using a "secret scroll". The scrolls also have info regarding some of the workings of the machines but, with all the misspelled words, incomplete sentences, and sentences that just made NO sense...for me, they just added to the confusion.

EDIT: Several TECH ISSUES, listed in Tech thread.

Edited on 07/22/2015 at 6:11:19 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jul 18, 15 2:47 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Shrouded Tales: Revenge of Shadows Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Shrouded Tales: Revenge of Shadows Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 18, 15 3:38 AM
9otters wrote: Collectibles are 30 runes found in "secret scrolls". Not quite sure exactly how that works.

You see the runes when using the Scroll that is placed on the top right of your screen, found rather at the beginning (in the demo). It is visible on the first screenshot on the DL page.
When used on a location it shows both some text explanation about 'extras' in this room and a somewhat-glowing rune. I've found one in each location so far, since I got the scroll.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Jul 18, 15 3:48 AM
Ooo. Thank you, _DD

Was just coming back to edit my review. I found the achievement that said, "Find 30 runes WITH your scroll of secrets." So...it sounds like ONE scroll used to scan for 30 different runes.

Makes better sense!

OMG! I just joined the school of HERRING! LOLOL. Unexpected.

Edited on 07/18/2015 at 3:59:22 AM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 18, 15 4:01 AM
Welcome, 9otters, and congrats on your morph here
(I always liked the red lobster-color best, but it's a very short stage. Ah well, just another 100 posts and you'll be a PARROTFISH => )

Back on topic: I agree with the positive reviews.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jul 18, 15 6:35 AM
After reading all the posts, I don't Ill even try this one. I am getting tired of HOGS anyways.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Jul 18, 15 8:15 AM
After playing into the demo, I can say it is a beautiful game. Have the first one and loved it. Theme not new, but what is? Nice touch the change between realities. But: there are very long pauses between scenes! Glitch or intention?

Morphing objects are not my favs so the lack of them is not important to me.
Would buy the CE, were not the too long pauses. But I will go on with the demo, perhaps......

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Jul 18, 15 9:22 AM
I found that if I took off the custom cursor, the pauses between certain scenes were not as long. I am taking a chance and purchased with the sale today, and I'm waiting for the full download. I almost didn't purchase after a couple of slightly illogical uses of the inventory items, but after that, the game started flowing better. I will "adjust" my thinking on how I can use the inventory now. I'm liking the game so far, but I will hold off with a real review until I complete the game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 18, 15 5:50 PM
The Old Gang Returns

I beta-tested this game, but (surprise) my comments did not make to the main game page.

Full disclosure:
I generally don't like games with amulets, portals, powers, or shadow worlds, etc. So feel free to stop reading now. However, I realize that many players do like these type games, so here goes.

Setting: You are Veronica, daughter of Elizabeth and one of the Barons of Havenwick. You earned this status in the first episode (but if you haven't played that one, never fear, there is a recap near the beginning). The Barons have sworn to use their powers only for good, but they are opposed by the Master of Shadows. Baron Archie received a garbled distress call from one of the other worlds and you are sent to investigate.

So right away I have to ask. We have Archie, Veronica and Elizabeth (Betty). Do we later meet Baron Reggie and Baron Jughead?

Game play involves using a few devices. First, your amulet has several powers, i.e., fix broken items, fire, electrical charge, make plants grow. You will use them many times - in fact there is an achievement for restoring 15 broken items. Second, there are special stones which change your current location to the "shadow world." You will go back and forth many times between the two worlds. This got very tedious for me long before the trial ended, but your tastes may differ.

Hidden object puzzles (HOPs) were very easy to complete. The first one is fragmented and it is embarrassingly easy. The ones that follow are a little better, standard list type and requiring some interaction. Mini games started out good, but unfortunately you repeat one puzzle over and over with a slight twist each time as you recharge your amulet. More variety here would have made this a much better game.

Difficulty - the developer only provides three levels, no Custom, just as in the first of the series. To eliminate sparkles you must choose the hardest setting.

I experienced a long delay between scenes and after cut scenes. I play a lot of games and I rarely see that.

CE Extras: Bonus level, strategy guide, replay of HOPs (17) and mini games (20) and 20 achievements. There is a sky tram, and an achievement for using it 7 times.

This isn't my style and I won't be buying it, but I hope this helps you make up your mind either way. I think I still have the single of "Sugar Sugar" I can listen to until the next game. BTW, who do you like, Betty or Veronica?

Edited on 07/18/2015 at 7:42:32 PM PST

georgiarealist
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by georgiarealist on Jul 19, 15 11:24 AM
Oddly, I did the beta test of this game but didn't recognize it because they evidently changed the title - the beta was called Shrouded Tales: The Shapeshifter. I knew I'd seen it when I watched the intro, though. Based on the demo, I'll probably use credits to buy this. The use of inventory items is unusual, but I think I can adapt. And I'm one of those who's not a fan of morphing objects, especially when there are achievements for speed but you have to wait to watch for the morphs. I'm not overly fond of going back and forth between the shadow and regular worlds, but then I also don't much like the games that make you go back and forth to the same locations over and over. At least this one seems to have some progression of locations.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 19, 15 12:26 PM
Hello friends! Good vs Evil and the guardians (Barons) are out to save the city again in #2 of this series. I have the first and liked it, but not too keen on this new one. Graphics are quite cartoon-like, which seems to fit this game, and have very nice bright and clear colors. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen very well. Music is soothing, with very nice sound FX and excellent voice overs. I did note that there is no "custom" mode for this game, which I much prefer. This is about magic, so you use spells you collect to help accomplish certain tasks. I found restore, plant growth, electricity and fire. Didn't find the fifth element, but you certainly use "restore" a lot. Lots of broken things to fix in this game.

HOPs are very simple and include fragmented items, straight HOPs and IHOPs. Nothing is hard to find and most scenes are fairly clean and clear. You do need to use items from your inventory to find some things in the HOPs. Puzzles are very simple and take no brain power at all. There is a map, which is a bit messy. Hint system is quite helpful, and fills fairly quickly, but does not transport to longer locations. This is where the map comes in handy. SG is the same and is easy to follow.

The SG shows that there are collectibles, but what? I did not run across any during the demo and I purposely clicked all over the scene to try to find one. You do find scrolls that give you more background on the city, but that's all I found.

I liked the first game in this series, but this one is far too simple and has no real challenge or excitement. Personally, I feel that this game is geared more toward a "new" beginner who just needs to get the feel of a game before moving into something more challenging. I will recommend this game for beginners, or for someone who just wants to play a no brainer game (which I sometimes do), but not for the more seasoned gamer. I do not feel this game is CE worthy without some very nice collectibles and a bit more challenge. I will give the SE a try, but definitely will not be buying the CE.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

Seemed Dreadfully Nondescript But...

[Post New]by kandinsky on Jul 20, 15 4:17 PM
I played it. It made time pass. The story seemed
like something I had played many times and to not
have any feature that interested me but hard to
review beyond saying that because...
1) it is a hot day and even with airconditioning the
summer wears one down a little.
2) I want to like the developer because, may I say
this somewhat silly thing?, they are based in a
city I admire and one of not many developers
from there. where doesnt matter just confessing an
odd sort of working of mind I should discount.
3) I am losing a sense of what the review criteria
are. read one maximum stars review which was
thoughtful and informed and that is fine but the
reviewer said it was a 'decent' game. I am not
critiquing that review still less the reviewer but I have
begun to wonder if the horizon of our hopes is now
for a game that is more or less playable.

well this one is playable but only barely in my opinion
however you may love it. If you try games before buying
them try this one first.
I have a sort of kamikaze approach and just buy the thing
if I intend to play it at all.
well conclusion of all this I Wish developers would try for
something striking in
Art or in Plot or in Character development
these seem to me the elements in the genre most needing and
most capable of improvement.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 27, 15 7:34 PM
Based on completed game and bonus chapter.

Another indie developer heard from. Is it just me or are they crawling out of the woodwork these days? It felt for a while that the CEs just kept rotating among the big guys, hence my indie crusade. Now it seems that's all I'm seeing. I'm not complaining.

I liked this one and had fun with it. I am very glad I purchased. The artwork was crisp and bright and enjoyable to play in. Although there are 5 chapters and a bonus but the chapters are beefy and so game length is very good.

The collectibles being visible only with a scroll was, in my opinion, a bit unnecessary, but not burdensome I am kind of glad they did that though since with all the magic, having morphs and/or collectibles in each scene makes for a bit too much clutter sometimes for me.

The magic element was fun for me. I also want to say it's a little steampunk, what with all the gadgets and trams, etc. I especially liked that the scene and amulet didn't light up like crazy every time you needed to use it. I want to walk into a scene, take a look around and decide what I am going to zap - all by myself. The story itself was enjoyable to me and I thought it was pretty straightforward.

Challenge? Yes. The puzzles are where the challenges are in this game. The pylon puzzles (to get amulet spells) get harder as you progress and there are some others, like a magnet puzzle, that take some work. There are more, but I shall not ruin all the fun puzzles by explaining them. There was nothing I wanted to skip (except the magnet puzzle for a moment), but definitely ones that made you work.

The HOP scenes were pretty simple. If you are experienced with HOPs, you should fly through these. The only unique aspects are that you can use items/spells in the HOPs.

No technical glitches for me.

I really did enjoy this game. There was a lot of variety in the game areas to travel and the world you play in is good size. You are free to roam, as opposed to being contained in small areas. There really is a lot to do. If you stick with it longer than getting the amulet filled with spells, you will see the game broaden in scope. I recommend.

Go to: