Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by SamKat1985 on Dec 3, 11 8:43 PM
We have been BIG MCF fans since the first game. We just completed MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst and graphic were awesome! Unfortunately, we were disappointed with the morphing objects. MCF has always been about HIDDEN objects, not morphing. There is also no achievements for not using hints, time, etc. We used no hints and didn't get any recognition for it. I think for the next chapter for MCF should have morphing objects, but as a bonus. See you next November!! Can't wait!!

P.S.- Can you also come out with more than one game a year? Thanks...

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Dec 4, 11 6:14 AM
160meters wrote:For those of you with computer problems (and that's what it's called, NOT "game problems") BUY a good computer or have one built for you if you can't put a box together yourself. If you want to run programs on a computer, you MUST have sufficient processor power, not a puny 2002 junker that yah got on sale and was so proud of yourself you saved money. RAM is important too, but don't expect a machine to work correctly if you were a tightwad/skinflint. Put out the dough and you don't have to whine so much.

I have a 4 year old computer, it has been upgraded but is still considered 'old'.
Not everyone can afford a brand new, top-of-the-range computer.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 4, 11 7:14 AM
You don't to replace an entire computer. MrLipid replaced his graphics card for $45.

[Post New]by delilahsue on Dec 4, 11 9:15 AM
I'm not sure where to start? The game overall was, um, interesting, but not exactly what I expected. The HOG scenes were great- maybe a bit too easy once you get your eyes adjusted to the whole Morphing thing- but that I can live with. The story was a bit lame- and extremely gross in some parts! Let's suffice it to say that I did not see any point in the outlandish macabre element of the story. Nose hairs, toe nails, and pimples? REALLY?

I would also like to know where the extra game play of the collector's edition is? And I really dislike putting humans in the game- gives it a corny feel in my opinion.

I enjoyed the strategy guide- it gave me a chance to think harder about the solutions without giving the whole thing away.

Overall, I'd recommend the game. Just keep in mind that this is not one of the most awesome MCF games of the bunch- Madame Fate is still the best in my book!

Chexmixmonet
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,816 Posts

[Post New]by Chexmixmonet on Dec 4, 11 10:37 AM
I agree delilahsue, Madame Fate is still my favorite MCF game. I think Return to Ravenhurst would be second.

This was definitely the most disturbing MCF game to date. Dire Grove was more scary in a "leave the lights on while you play" kind of way.

I feel "meh" about the morphing objects. I really missed hidden object scenes.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the mini-puzzles. I really loved the one door puzzle to get into the room at the psych ward. That was fun. I also liked the "find the picture" for those keys, that was fun.

Reserving the right to ETA, my little boy just woke up.

[Post New]by gabby04 on Dec 4, 11 1:00 PM
Don't like the morphing....way overdone....will not buy!

[Post New]by agnesodette on Dec 4, 11 2:00 PM
I loved it even if I found it quite disgusting sometimes. It's as long and difficut as it should be. I loved the morphing object scenes too and the extra game door tokens.

[Post New]by Dickiedg on Dec 4, 11 4:18 PM
I've played the entire game. I so look forward to the Mystery Case Files games for their difficulty and humor. I'm not a fan of how "dark" (or GROSS) this game is. I'm also not a fan of the morphing object scenes. I enjoyed the graphics from the other MCF games...i.e. the wack a troll game and others. I've noticed with each game the increasing need to back track constantly...I find that confusing and unnecessary to the extent it is used in this game in particular. I would prefer the game to feel as if it's moving forward rather than seeing something I "need" from two acts ago and back track to find it then go all the way back to where I was...like I said can be confusing. All in all it's an "okay" game...I hope Big Fish Games continues releasing MCF games, but I would prefer hidden object/sparkles/SOME morphing objects and less MORBID content. Thank you!!!

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Dec 4, 11 8:01 PM
I don't have any problem with the morphing objects vs. hidden objects. That part, at least, wasn't a bait-and-switch from the demo, so if you don't like it, you don't have to buy. Actually, I like some variation from the standard HOG format. Most of the acting was pretty good, though I'd imagine the developers had some trouble with tooth marks on whatever scenery the guy playing Charles got near. The graphics were top-notch, as usual, and the game had plenty of twists and turns to keep me interested.

I do have a problem with the gross-out parts of the game. Were the pimples really necessary? Or did young Charles's life just not suck enough? Terror and horror are one thing; gross-outs are just juvenile.

I also think this game would benefit from having a choice of levels to play at. I managed--barely--to get through all the mini-games, sometimes resorting to the SG or forums for help. I like to think I'm pretty good at these kinds of games, but this one got frustrating. A lot of the actions didn't flow logically, and I had to look in the SG for what to do with certain objects I picked up, or just to figure out where to go next. The games had no instructions, which would've been appreciated. The journal wasn't very helpful at all, as you couldn't record clues in it, and I ended up having to tromp around to find clues again before finally resorting to the good, old-fashioned pencil and scratch paper. If you're going to include a journal with the game, at least make it useful.

Overall, an interesting game, and I appreciate all the effort that went into it. However, it was frustrating on many levels.

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Dec 5, 11 4:44 AM

I hated Dire Grove, wasnt that keen on 13 Skulls, but love the Ravenhearst Series, but I feel the developers have skipped 1 in this series, this 1 should have been the next Ravenhearst IMO, this 1 went a bit to far ahead.

I also hated the morphing could have coped well if it had a mix insted of all, the scenes being morphing, Loved the games in their old fashioned mode.

Always been my fav, but now heading towards Dark Parables and The past series now.

Wont give up on the MCF's though.

[Post New]by puppydogtails on Dec 5, 11 5:22 AM
My family is a huge fan of MCF games. We wait patiently for those games to be released. But I must say I was a little disappointed in Escape from Ravenhearst as well as the last one.

I am more than half way through this game but it has crashed three times already. I am not a noob when it comes to PCs and hardware. I think this game may have a memory leak. I have an HD ATI Video (1gb memory) card and 3ghz Processor on a 64bit system with 4gbs of RAM, this game should have played smoothly.

I would have preferred Rose, Emma and the children be in their original RH ghostly forms, not real children (actors) locked in water tanks.

The morphing of objects was o.k. however not when I must also look at other things in a scene and or find other things. A dedicated morphing scene by itself would be fine. Due to the morphing and having to also read and find other things at the same time in a scene caused some cursor problems when clicking. I prefer **** scenes.

I was disappointed with the Journal/Case file. You need a note pad with this game due to the the 'book' doesn't keep any important information you may find. Such a numbers you will need later. If you don't scribble these clues down throughout the game, you will have to return to look at the clue again when it is needed to unlock a puzzle.
The Stratgegy guide was fine, however, I prefer my clues saved in the games Journal/Case file. I don't like to cheat or use a walkthrough unless I am just really stuck for hours. The case file rarely opened to remind me of any clues I had found. A waste of space. Sometimes it opened to inform me of something during morphing scenes. Bad timing as I said already.

Some scenes were a little disturbing. I found the Mama scene funny, but strangely disturbing. I do wonder what a child that must care for an invalid adult may think of those scenes. If they might compare an invalid family member to that automaton in the game. It was funny in a sad, sick way. If you want to be disturbed then this game will do it.

I liked the game but becoming more disappointed in MCFs direction of their games. Very little mini games, no great mini games as in Huntsville or other earlier games. I have played all their games, the overall RH aura was kind of left out of this game. I can do without real actors in scenes and more of the original type mini games that MCFs did use in their earlier series. I like the 'math' puzzles. Needed more hidden object scenes. Story was good

Edited on 12/05/2011 at 5:31:57 AM PST

[Post New]by MunchkinGoddess on Dec 5, 11 5:50 AM
Very disappointed. Way over the top with dark issues. Found it tedious to play.

[Post New]by Miniatures1 on Dec 5, 11 8:42 AM
No Buy!! I hate the road the Ravenherst games have taken!!

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Dec 5, 11 8:58 AM
It's disturbing.
Disgusting.
Deranged.

A more intense trip into a creative psycho's dephts of mind than you could possibly imagine (or ask for).
The very elaborated sounds that haunt you wherever you go are even more nerve-rending than a John-Zorn-/ Nails-scratching-on-a-black-board-Mix.
Just imagine a close-up of a maniac's brain (so close you can take the brain's meanderings for alley-room-cave-mazes), combined with the anti-aesthetics of early Marilyn-Manson-Videos and the rotting cellars in the remains of Silent Hill.

It's gorgeous. Beautiful. Marvelous. Captivating.
Nothing compares to this (so far....).

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Dec 5, 11 11:00 AM
puppydogtails wrote:
I was disappointed with the Journal/Case file. You need a note pad with this game due to the the 'book' doesn't keep any important information you may find. Such a numbers you will need later. If you don't scribble these clues down throughout the game, you will have to return to look at the clue again when it is needed to unlock a puzzle.

This was my number one "You can fix this" issue with the game. A lot of the other things mentioned are matters of taste or preference, but the near-useless journal was a real disappointment. What's the point of having a journal/case file if it doesn't record clues you'll need? If they want to make it more of a challenge, perhaps include a function that will make you record the clues in the journal yourself.

[Post New]by henjen4 on Dec 5, 11 12:00 PM
So, I've been a huge MCF fan since Huntsville, and each game just got better and better. However, though I really enjoyed playing Escape from Ravenhearst the first time through, I have to say that overall it was a disappointing game.

1. The morphing objects are cool, and I really enjoyed them in Dire Grove, especially the way that they were woven into the game along with the **** scenes. Here, however, there are no straight **** scenes, so on my second time through the game, nothing was changed and it was easy to spy the morphing objects because I already knew where to look. Previous games were kept interesting by the fact that the objects-to-find-lists changed each time you played the game. So this was a major bummer to me.

2. I really miss the achievements: knowing how long it took me to finish the game, how many skips/hints I used (or didn't), etc. I really liked this feature and I thought 13th Skull was really kept interesting the second or third time through by my desire to get all the achievements.

3. It was also a little frustrating having to keep a written record of various "hints" located throughout the game. It was obvious that these would be necessary at some point in the game, and in the past, my journal would say "NWSNw... I wonder what that means" rather than making me make a physical note of it. I don't like always having to travel across the length of the game to retrieve something I knew I would need. (If that makes sense.)

4. There were some times I just could not figure out what I was supposed to do next. Actually, I knew what I needed but had no idea where to get it. I knew I needed a fuse, but for where to look I wasn't given any help (except for the SG, but I hate using that). And the use of the rag and the bucket were not so intuitive for me, and that was frustrating.

5. Finally, I really missed the snarky commentary. I was sooooo bummed that I couldn't change the tone. That one element alone really made Dire Grove and 13th Skull a lot of fun and rather special.

I do have to say that I loved the graphics and the underground cavern/buildings were really wonderfully conceived. And regardless of my stated complaints, I am already looking forward to the next release next year!

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Dec 5, 11 1:37 PM
Weeelllll....what can I say. I do not like to complain, but I think I will anyway. This game was so over the top, and so tedious to play that I didn't enjoy it the way I usually enjoy MCF games. I love morphing objects, but they were way over done in this game. I found myself using the strategy guide a lot more than normal and skipping games just to get it over with already. To say the ending was disappointing is an understatement. I think I have had it with the Ravenhearst series, it has run it's course and hope the next MCF is something different.

linniebean
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by linniebean on Dec 5, 11 3:58 PM
Just finished the game. I must agree with the majority of posts, the game was tedious and overdone. I also found myself using the SG to skip over puzzles as it just seems to have "been there done that" game play. I love the RH series and was sooo looking forward to this one, I didn't even play demo first, just downloaded right off. I had a few error problems that required restarting game, luckily it saved my place! The morphing scences were okay, but prefer the **** with morphing items as an "extra bonus" play. Also, I don't see where the extra bonus play was for the $$ of the CE?? I usually am addicted to the MCF games when they come out and won't play anything else until I finish..however, I found myself not feeling like playing this one religiously like I did the others..kind of predictable and dare I say boring at times?!? The graphics are definately wonderful and you are to be commended on that, but please, please go back to the original game play "sparkle scenes" and all, I think we will all be happier for it.

[Post New]by dianevirginia on Dec 5, 11 4:03 PM
I have to say I am really disappointed. I waited almost a year for this game to come out. I am a fan of the Mystery Case Files collection and I loved 13th Skull. My expectations were high to begin with and add to that, a return to everyone's beloved Ravenhearst and I really thought they couldn't miss.
I found this game to be a lot like the slew of **** games that are NOT well thought out, NOT cohesive, NOT fun. To make matters worse, there were no actual hidden objects so...there's that.
The puzzles were way too hard or too tedious and time-consuming to be enjoyable. Mystery Case Files puzzles have always been logical and just tough enough to be challenging but still fun. These were out of control.
The game itself was so random. I have never needed the strategy guide to navigate through a game before. This game was so illogical and silly that I never knew what to do next. I had to consult the strategy guide at almost every turn.
Finally, I am all for spooky and creepy graphics. The graphics and subject matter thereof were in this case over the top offensive. They pregnant bellies, the babies, the zit popping. Too gross! Ew!
My hope is that the Mystery Case Files people put out another game of the quality we are used to mid year. I don't want to wait another year for a good game.
Thanks for reading.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Dec 5, 11 4:33 PM
I just finished the game for the second time. I liked the game but not as much as the past Ravenhearst games, but did enjoy playing the game. Some of the puzzles were pretty hard and did not understand how to play the puzzles until I used the guide to help me understand how to play them, but I got through them, now I have to wait another year for a new Ravenhearst to come out. That is way to long to have to wait

Go to: