bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Bilbo: The Four Corners of the World comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 23, 09 1:55 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Bilbo: The Four Corners of the World. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
If you’re looking for anything remotely related to the popular Lord of the Rings series, you’ll find no hobbits in Bilbo: The Four Corners of the World. Instead what you’ll find is a beautifully designed, cute and entertaining Time Management restaurant-themed game. You play the role of Bilbo, an ambitious young hamster who is determined to successfully run a chain of restaurants to impress the father of his true love. This game relies heavily on visuals (very cute visuals, at that) as everything from goals to customer satisfaction levels are represented more by pictures than text. Each customer type is a different kind of animal and each of them express themselves clearly in their facial expressions to indicate what they do and do not want.

For most of the duration of the game it is fairly easy to complete every level with a bronze or silver trophy. However, it becomes increasingly difficult to earn gold trophies in the later levels and some of the later goals are even, quite literally, impossible. For example, one level calls for a goal of five karaoke singers, but not a single customer will approach the stage. Fortunately, these levels are still passable and all are replayable for those that like to strive for higher goals. Overall, this game is upbeat and fun and is great for the younger players, as well as the young at heart but may not be for the hardcore Time Management gamers that strive for a top score on every level.

Genre:
Bilbo is of the Time Management genre.

Game Modes:
This game has only a story mode, but finished levels can be replayed in any order so that players can attempt to reach higher scores.

Depth:
Bilbo has a total of 40 levels across four different restaurant locations. A determined player, or one who isn’t interested in replaying levels for high scores, could probably finish most of this game in one sitting.

Similar to:
This game is similar to Lovely Kitchen, with a little touch of Cooking Academy.

Difficulty level:
Bilbo is fairly easy to understand and starts out with easy goals, but gets significantly harder as the game progresses.

Reviewed by E.G.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Bilbo: The Four Corners of the World comments and reviews

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 23, 09 7:26 AM
I tested the game in the trial time. I come until level 10 from 40, so it has approx. 4 hours of gameplay. I like the game. It`s an easy TM-Game. I think I will buy it.
If you like restaurant games like Diner Dash, give this game a try. You might like it.

So I give /

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Jul 23, 09 2:14 PM
I played until level 9 during the demo.

Big icons to click on, easy to see, and helps make no misses while clicking. It took a while to get used to not clicking on the people, however.
Not a drag and drop
When you have money and go to buy upgrades, it gives you recommendations, and I really like that.
The map is very easy to read, and shows your progress along with the ranking achieved within each level gold, silver, bronze.
After you have achieved gold status, if you have time left, it lets you continue to play and make more money for upgrades. It took me a few times to remember to do that, as the directions for it seem to be backwards to me.

The tutorial/hint was pretty good, although I didn't quite get what constituted a combo and had to try and figure it out as I was going along. The catching coins in the net always took me by surprise when it started.

all in all a very nice TM game.

cpt
namaste

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Jul 23, 09 4:19 PM
I normally don't buy a lot of time managment games other than the building games, unless of course one of my children or grandchildren just has to have it, but this one was too cute. The graphics are great, they really took care in drawing out and animating these little critters. The people dancing in line tickled me. I like that I don't have to drag them to a table. The extra little side dishes and blenders. I think this is the first time I was playing a TM game other than a building game and got kicked out of it for going right to my hour and just when I had people dancing in line...I'll be buying this one.

[Post New]by arandbee53 on Jul 23, 09 8:07 PM
A thoroughly enjoyable game. Easy to get gold in the early stages. My only problem came when I clicked on 'Menu' to try and pause the game and it shut down on me. Tried it/bought it/ loved it!

[Post New]by Cole2517 on Jul 24, 09 8:38 AM
I read the reviews and then played the demo and I love this game. I definately will be buying this one. I went through my hour in no time at all. I could easily sit here and play this one until I went through the whole game. I can get tired of some games quite easily and I dont see that happening with this one.

[Post New]by PhaedrasPhantasy on Jul 24, 09 12:20 PM
I like this little game, but I also am having a problem with the 3 multiples of two...what the heck? I have even had two sets of two animals at the same time, served them all four at the same time, gave the two at the table the same thing......I don't know what three multiples of two is supposed to mean, I took it as three sets of two animals????? Nothing else worked, so thought that had to be it, but it's not counting, and on the replay.....sometimes there is only one set of two??? Or does it mean I need two sets of two animals three times?? Any advice? Bet it's something really obvious and I am just overlooking it, always the way with me....
Thanks!
Phae

[Post New]by lughug on Jul 25, 09 7:29 AM
I am having trouble with making the egg rolls. Twice when I did not make them perfect - the game froze up and I had to restart the game and starting at the building.

[Post New]by doublenerds on Jul 25, 09 1:49 PM
At later levels, this game suffers from very poor level design. An example that sticks in my memory is level 3.2 - one goal is to serve 7 cat-creatures, and another is to make 9 customers happy. Trouble is, even when the restaurant is fully upgraded (and I do mean FULLY), and utilizing all the seating to maximize the number of customers that come through, I had no less than 10 tries where there were only 8 customers total that entered the restaurant all day. And only 3 of those were cats. Approximately 1 in 15 attempts, I got double customers, which still did not raise the total enough to get 7 cats in the door.

There are more than a few levels like this, where one of the goals is impossible because the random customer generator does not give you enough of the required "type", regardless of efficiency.

Honestly, I would not recommend buying this game in its current form. It goes from exceedingly easy to dull and frustrating, simply due to poorly thought out level design.

[Post New]by PhaedrasPhantasy on Jul 25, 09 4:05 PM
Unfortunately I must agree, the levels seem to require events to pass that are impossible to achieve because the customers simply do not enter. Oh well, it's cute and playable, but don't think I will play it through more than once, if that. It does get frustrating doing a level over and over and never getting enough no matter what you do.

Kacey5
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Kacey5 on Jul 25, 09 8:57 PM
I also must agree. Many of the goals are simply unachievable. Sometimes it's the particular customer that doesn't come into the restaurant. And sometimes it's the number of a particular menu item that you must serve, when you know at the beginning of the level that none of the customers like that item. I also noted that if you upgraded a table, the customers would not go to that table unless there was no other one available (deliberately avoiding the upgrade). The scoring didn't even seem accurate in later levels.
I finished the game and was thoroughly disappointed since it started out as such a cute game.

MsCIn513
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by MsCIn513 on Jul 26, 09 2:43 AM
I must agree I haven't figured out how to serve customers while making them happy....... I would have thought serving them timely and them gaining a heart would achieve it but its not. Any help someone????

Jaboulka
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Jaboulka on Jul 26, 09 2:59 AM
Well I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you.

I have finished this game with all gold.

Yes, the game gets more difficult more you advance, but it is not impossible.
One trick to get the type of customers you need is to serve them as first and very quickly in order to get more.
When you have 3 or 4 of these guests in the restaurant this type of guest will not come in anymore. So what I did was to serve them as first and quickly in order for them to leave and have then more coming in.

When you have a dish to serve that no customer liked what I did was to fulfill quickly other goals (like number of happy customers or not to disappoint a customer within a certain time or money) and then I would serve this dish to all the customer coming in even if that meant to no tips and angry customers.

Anyway what I wanted to say is that this game is no impossible is just difficult, but then it leaves you the possibility to go on even if you fullfilled only one goal which is pretty easy.

I found this as one of the best time management games I played lately.

[Post New]by Spectrsassy on Jul 29, 09 6:42 PM
Is anything supposed to happen when you get all gold trophies, I have them all and normally you would get a little cut scene or well done but nothing, not sure if I've missed something out.

Also what is the gold bar on the map screen. Its in the top right and sometimes its part full, and other times when I play its empty. It says 8/80 when I hover over it but not quite sure what thats supposed to indicate.

Thanks for any help

[Post New]by Rachel00275 on Aug 28, 09 8:57 AM
can't wait to try it out!

shoelesshs
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by shoelesshs on Sep 30, 09 10:07 PM
TM games are my favorite, and this one was a lot of fun in the demo, so I bought it. However, it was quite disappointing in the long run because of several glitches:

* No end story. You get to level 4-10 and that's it. I think I played that level 3 times before realizing I was playing the same level over again. Where's the happily-ever-after? The story and characters are cute, but the lack of ending is so anticlimactic.

* Hard to get gold level in some areas. Not impossible, although I haven't finished all gold yet. But if you have to meet a certain goal, there are times you can't get it if the right character doesn't show up. And I still haven't been able to serve 50 perfect drinks. Drinks are only available in levels 1-9 & 1-10, even if you do buy the drink machine early, and only the fox orders them. I've played and replayed those two levels, but still no trophy.

*Tea service in Japanese restaurant has same 4 ingredients for making tea, no matter who orders it. Boring!

*Hard to tell when a customer is counted as being served. For example, one level in the Japanese restaurant has you serving the cowboy beaver. . . twice! It is either a glitch or a challenge (depending on how you look at it). You only have to complete it once; however, if you don't complete it, the best you can do is a bronze. I am fairly sure I have served him the required times. The character steps up to the karaoke machine, I click on it, and it adds the 9th one. But when the 10th one steps up, it never counts it at 10 when I click on it. It seems you have to have 11 beavers come in to be served to get the 10 minimum.

What I do like about it is that you can serve several items at once without repeating the mini game again. For example, you fold one origami animal and can deliver the same one to everyone at once as long as you don't break the chain. That's a nice bonus I'd like to see in more TM games.

I also like that it's a bit more challenging that some TM games - you have to use a bit of thought to complete your goals.

It also is all clicking on things - no dragging and dropping. My mouse gets persnickety sometimes and doesn't want to carry things, so this is a plus for me.

But I wish I had saved my money on this one....or they send a patch to fix the glitches!

Candukay
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,319 Posts

[Post New]by Candukay on Nov 11, 09 7:56 PM
shoelesshs wrote:* No end story. You get to level 4-10 and that's it. I think I played that level 3 times before realizing I was playing the same level over again. Where's the happily-ever-after? The story and characters are cute, but the lack of ending is so anticlimactic.

I'm glad you mentioned this because I was wondering if I missed something. It's a bummer to finish a game and not even get a "Well done" or something!

lauder
Herring
Herring
358 Posts

[Post New]by lauder on Apr 4, 10 10:03 AM
Is this game nice 2 play or is it hard.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Jul 2, 10 6:38 PM
This seems like a nicely made game - graphics are well done, seems like it would be a pretty decent game. I didn't play much more than about 15 minutes before uninstalling though. The things I didn't like were that it didn't seem to have much challenge. I didn't like that you could get the winning choice by picking the first meal out of selection of 10 each time. Also, that the little side meal thing (dumplings or something, looked like a fortune cookie) you make by clicking the same exact sequence of dots each time. The game sort of seemed too easy to me and lacked any real forethought on how to do well on the level. Just by going through the motions, I was scoring gold each time. Granted, I'm sure it gets more difficult as time goes on but I didn't like that it just seemed so easily laid out to begin with. Also, the upgrades you purchase really don't tell you very much about what they do. I decided to pass on this one.

lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by lindiana on Mar 10, 12 7:09 PM
This is a fun game but it isn't very challenging. I would only recommend it for people looking for a fun easy game or something they can play with their children.

It is definitely something children can play as it is not overly demanding.

I agree with those saying it has no ending but I think that might be because you did not fill up your gold meter which is on the map page, lower right hand corner.

Go to: