bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Defenders of Law comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 24, 09 3:08 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Defenders of Law. We're sure you have comments you would like to share with the community. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Put on your sleuthing caps and get your magnifying glass ready! Defenders of Law: The Rosendale File is an exciting Hidden Object adventure in which you must solve the case of the murder of Miss Rosendale by locating evidence spread throughout the town of Willburg. Each location is composed of various Hidden Object scenes, all well-designed and fairly easy to see, though some objects are occasionally placed partially off-screen. Between every two chapters are court scenes, reminiscent of the Nintendo DS’ Phoenix Wright series, but much less complicated. While the subject of this game is murder, Defenders of Law is far from graphic and the ability to choose between timed or untimed makes this a game that is appropriate, both in content and difficulty, for Hidden Object lovers of all ages.

Genre:
Defenders of Law is of the Hidden Object genre.

Game Modes:
This game has two standard game modes and one unlockable mode. Upon choosing a character, players can choose between Adventure (timed) and Relaxed (untimed) and unlocked at the end of the game is a Memory-style card game.

Depth:
Defenders of Law takes players through over 25 different scenes across seven locations in Willburg. The unlockable mini-game at the end plus the randomization of the game provides plenty of replay value, so players will get plenty of time out of this game.

Similar to:
This game requires the use of sleuthing tools (dark light, magnifying glass) in order to find some bits of evidence, a tactic seen in Mr. Biscuits: The Case of the Ocean Pearl. However, the in-game graphics share more similarity with Detective Agency or Affair Bureau.

Difficulty level:
The difficulty level in Defenders of Law varies depending on the mode. Relaxed mode is named appropriately, and Adventure mode provides a healthy challenge by counting down the number of days that players have to locate evidence before going to trial.

Reviewed by E.G.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:Defenders of Law comments and reviews

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 24, 09 3:32 AM

This is a hard one for me to review because on the one hand you have a well crafted game with sharp clear graphics, good object identification with forgiving click radius, refillable (albeit a bit slow) hints, TIMER OPTIONAL so both tastes catered to. You have opening cabinets etc. in which you must search which is always a plus in my book. You have some new-ish search aspects with alternative light sources where you must turn lights on or off, or sprklies you must search with a magnifying glass and an analysis portion where you look at evidence gathered. Then a coutroom portion where you must choose arguments to support your clients based on evidence. You do all this 3 times to determine with what, where and (I assume, didn't get that far) by whom the murder is commited.

Sounds good, right? So how come this game manages to possibly be the most boring "good" game I've encountered? *sigh* I know I know I am spoiled by Interactive Hidden Object games and this one is 85% straight up old time item searching. No mini-games to speak of and many repeating rooms/items looking for "evidence". The evidence analysis is kinda a mini I guess, but beyond easy and honestly not too relevant, unless I'm missing something. The courtroom bit is vaguely interesting but again, too easy and kind of odd. Another small complaint is the briefcase that zips out to gobble up the found item each time. I found it distracting and annoying. Also though they have the alternate light source, magnifying and inside cabinet searches these were used very often. Load screens a little slow too.

So how can I rate this? For me, even in this mini-HOG drout it's not a buy. Seriously, I was falling alseep. BUT there's really nothing wrong with the game... so...

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 24, 09 3:59 AM
Thanks Poodle! I am DL'ing now. Will give my take later. I will say though that I have never enjoyed evidence analysis. I have played a few games in which that is done as a kind of mini and just have not enjoyed it, will see how this works out. The courtroom thing also sounds unappealing to me. Remember the game where we were given a group of suspects and had to figure out which one was the criminal. I don't recall the game but it was a good game apart from that silly suspect part which I just didn't care a halibut for. The graphics look good from what I can see. Well, I will soon have some answers.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 24, 09 4:05 AM
bribling - the Evidence Analysis amounts to dragging one of 6 items in any order to a piece of anaysis equipment which lights up to show you the correct one as you mouse over it. It then shows you a report that has some clue about the case and some weird little bit of trivia, like when nail polish was invented (for some found nail polish at the scene). As far as I can tell it has no impact on the courtroom bit but I think adds to the overall story. It's ridiculously easy, can barely call it a mini-game, really.

LogieBaby
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

[Post New]by LogieBaby on Jul 24, 09 4:27 AM
Poodlebear, I disagree with you as to the graphics being sharp,I found them to be sort of fuzzy which made identifying certain hiddens guesswork. The length of the game will probably be long based on the amount of HOGging required to get to the first courtroom scene. I think one of the plusses in the game was announced at the start of the game which suggested a CLUE like randomness for replay value, unlike the Patterson games where the outcome never changes.

I have mixed feelings about this game and at this time I am not sure if the plusses outweigh the minuses. I will reserve judgment after getting more input from forum members. At first blush though, I will probably pass on this one.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 24, 09 4:49 AM
When I started playing I was disappointed with one easy HOG screen after the other. The graphics however are excellent and good graphics always ropes me in.

The game got slightly more interesting with added tools, analysis and the courtroom but I do not understand why they have made it all so easy.
What is the point of using a magnifying glass if you are going to flash the object and have it right there when you zoom in anyway?

Kind of feel it was aimed at kids though searches for cigarette packets etc would indicate it is not.
I played relaxed mode and quickly had a go at the adventure mode to see if it was much different but looks like just a timer as the difference. The case I got was the same but different suspect and weapon etc but search screens the same.

I did go ahead and buy it and I am not sorry but this game could have been so much more just by increasing the difficulty level and making at least the object searching more challenging - and if there was some skill in analysing the evidence it would have added to the game.

Nice enough game and worth the money - just not a great game.

and a half

Edited on 07/24/2009 at 7:50:50 AM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 24, 09 5:26 AM
Ok, I just finished the Demo. It is an easy play even with a few things to do like open drawers, etc. I read everything so I never made it to the court. The analysis was just a throw away, something to maybe pad the game but requires no skill and contributes little if anything.

The custom curser bothered me so I went to the options and changed it. It will appear again though when you open drawers, etc. I found that I could not click on any items in something I opened if the custom curser did not change to the regular pointer. In other words, you could open the item but it contained nothing of importance, move on. If you are playing with the custom curser throughout, you may not notice this and might wonder why you can't pick up something in the drawer or closet.

I used very few Hints, In fact, I only used them to move on, not because I couldn't find something. In the hour I found almost no item that was too small or hard to see. The only two items like that were a statue of a ram (very tiny) and a longbow (very faint and small and thin). I did, however, see both those items without using a Hint.

Some list items at the top of the screen are only half there but you can still read them. You may be able to fix this with an adjustment of your screen res (I didn't try that).

Although I knew rhis game was about the murder of Miss Roseland, when it started, it said something about selecting a case to solve. So, maybe there is more than one case or maybe there are plans for a sequal that could be added to this engine and thus be played from the same game. MCF started with a similar sort of thing where you have a list of cases which you can choose from as new games are added. I don't know if this was ever actually implemented in MCF because i never tried to play another case from any of the games.

All in all, this is an ok HOG and might be ideal for children or players new to the genre because it seems to have no difficulty. I didn't find anything exceptional in the first hour. I did not find anything particularly bad about it either. I agree that it is a bit boring but it is colorful, easy and a pleasant overall game.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jul 24, 09 9:03 AM
Yes it's pretty much a plain vanilla HOG. I bought it anyway because lately I've had to use my magnifying glass at least half the time when I'm playing HOGs, and I didn't need to use it even ONCE in the first 15 minutes playing Defenders of the Law. So this will fill my need for HOG gameplay until my next pair of bifocals comes in (after 2 pairs from Doc A, gave up on him and went to Doc B who hopefully did a much better job of figuring out how to give me glasses that will let me see without fuzziness).

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Jul 24, 09 9:15 AM
I agree with you all - just a bit too plain and straight forward for me! No mini games and my screen was also a bit fuzzy! I know we're spoiled now and maybe I should stop complaining about the lack of HOGs and give them some time to design and produce the really good ones!

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Jul 24, 09 10:06 AM
Not sure if I will buy this one.

On my laptop, the background graphics were good, but some of the objects we pixilated. Like they were made much bigger or smaller than the original graphics were.

I didn't think it was so boring. But trying to figure out what the pixilated objects are, it was hurting my eyes.

I did love the mix of things that were in each room though. Made the scenes interesting.

I didn't mind there weren't mini games. I like many of the mini games in other puzzles, but some I don't like. 50/50 on that.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jul 24, 09 10:33 AM
I bought the game, because I thought the HOG scenes were rather well done, and I needed some distraction from World Mosaics. Without repeating too much of what others said (with most of which I agree), I'll say this: First, I don't like coming back to the same rooms and finding some of the same objects in the same place. I am blessed with an excellent memory, and finding an object in the same place a second time is no challenge. Second, there are no worthwhile mini-games. The evidence analysis requires no brains, and the courtroom scene requires you only to memorize what the "featured" points of evidence were. And, as I retired lawyer, I must say the courtroom scenes are a pathetic caricature of what lawyers do.

Still, if your appetite for games needs to be fed a relatively undemanding HOG at the moment, this one fills the bill fairly well.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Jul 24, 09 12:50 PM
Graphics: Decent, middle of the road. I've seen better, but I've also seen worse. A few scenes in the "story board" appeared to be blurry, but I think this was done on purpose.
General: Timed or untimed option. The beginning of the game states: "generating random case" but I input 3 profiles and got the same case every time. And the name of the game (The Rosendale File) makes me lean toward there only being one case to solve. Someone who's played longer correct me if I'm wrong.
Hidden Objects: On the easy side. I never had to use a hint (except to see how the hint feature worked). Lists don't seem to change much on replay. Hot spots are not too restrictive, giving players a little latitude on where to click for it to "take". Random clicking (in timed mode) takes time off the clock.
Mini-games: There are none,unless the developers are counting the evidence analysis as a mini-game. But it required no thought other than to follow directions. I'm not the type that needs an inventory/adventure aspect in every one of my HOG's but even the most straightforward HOG's like Mystery PI and Big City Adventure break up the HOG scenes with mini-games that require you to actually do something.
Hint system: Unlimited. Draws a circle around the item vs. pointing it out directly. Hints are unlimited although it takes approximately 2 minutes for the hint circle to recharge.
Extras: There are unlockable items, such as a flashlight, magnifying glass and another tool I couldn't make out. I only got to the magnifying glass. Again, no great thought required to use it...hold it over the sparkly area and click and it zooms in on the item you need. Pretty elementary.
Replayability: I'm on the fence with this. The length appears to be average based on the demo, but the HOG lists don't change much and there appears to be only one case to solve. So I would have to say low replayability.
General Impression: Way too simple and total lack of mini-games to break up the monotony make this a boring no-sale for me. Others who are looking for just a mindless foray into HOG land as a way to whittle away their time may see this game as being worth their money. While I don't need adventure in every one of my HOG games, I do like to do something other than: find objects, move to next scene, find objects, move to next scene, etc.

Edited on 07/24/2009 at 12:51:28 PM PST

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jul 24, 09 1:50 PM
it is a on the simple side but i enjoyed it for a change. the story line is good and in the beginning it says loading a random case so when i get done playing the first case i will see if it gives you a different case. i did purchase it as it is something different. i also like hogs where it is inventory based and i also agree this game could have been so much more if the developers would have taken a little more time with it. graphics to me were very clear but again i also like to hear the story as well as read it, it seems like more and more games are coming out with no voices that is a shame.

i still give it a

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Jul 24, 09 2:11 PM
I must be getting tired of HOGs - junk pile ones at least. I found the graphics very fuzzy & only played 10 minutes of the demo. Haven't deleted it yet. I'll give it another try, but I don't expect I'll buy this one.

It's the mini games I like best I think & puzzles. I need another MCF!

[Post New]by bigmama3636 on Jul 24, 09 2:47 PM
I love HOG they are my fav. If this game wasn't so draggy and jerky I would consider buying it but when a game makes me nod off. Because its so slow its just not worth it.

irishgreen
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by irishgreen on Jul 24, 09 5:49 PM
Won't be buying this one.
Guess I'm waiting for a good Hog/adventure to come along.
I didn't care for the black screens while it would load the next room. Made you think it froze.
Just a basic H/O .
I'll go back to playing Fairway Solitaire til something comes along that I enjoy.

SairBelle
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by SairBelle on Jul 24, 09 6:15 PM
This one I might have liked, if it wasn't so huge that it slowed down my system. I can play WoW and any large file game with no problem, but playing Defenders of Law was like playing an online game with slow dial up. The thing took forever to load, would cut in and out with the music, and if i found an item it would pause a moment, then slowly take it to the suitcase while I lost control of the pointer. I also lost control of the pointer on the map screen often, and when it came time to analyze the evidence, I couldn't even get the pointer to turn off the tutorial. Instead the courser would freeze, then plod across page on it's own.

Checking task manager this thing was taking up huge amounts of cpu. I ended up uninstalling the demo with a large amount of time left. The slow actions completely ruined game play for me.

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Jul 24, 09 7:26 PM
i just dowmloaded the game,going to give it a try.let you know if its good or not
see you all later

shnuffi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,876 Posts

[Post New]by shnuffi on Jul 24, 09 9:29 PM
I am so hungry for a good HOG game but not hungry enough for that one.
And if I think it is boring then it is.

Edited on 07/24/2009 at 9:31:24 PM PST

Masquerade32
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by Masquerade32 on Jul 25, 09 1:00 AM
sillyfeet wrote:
General: Timed or untimed option. The beginning of the game states: "generating random case" but I input 3 profiles and got the same case every time. And the name of the game (The Rosendale File) makes me lean toward there only being one case to solve. Someone who's played longer correct me if I'm wrong.

I wasn't sure about the "random case" statement until I tried playing the game again after beating it. Looks like the who, where and with what of the crime changes every game, along with the motive in a Clue-ish manner. So, it looks like the story of the game is a "Who killed Mr. Body?" mystery where the circumstances change every time. Kinda cool.
But I agree with everyone, this game was pretty bland in both the HOG spectrum and the pathetic escuse of a coartroom simulation. In the least, the first time around, it was worth the $6.99.

Edited on 07/25/2009 at 1:00:54 AM PST

Go to: