bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 25, 09 1:08 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone. If you'd like to comment with what you thought of this game, please feel free to post them in this discussion thread.

Comments:
Be transported to the centuries of the past in Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone with beautifully created scenes and calming symphonies while you play. You’re able to explore multiple cluttered rooms of a wondrous mansion, and although you do visit some of the same rooms twice, each room is very detailed so any gamer would still be engaged in the game.

The soothing symphonies playing in the background help to remove you from your every day life and take you back to the time when the game is set. Difficulty is added to the game with hidden items that are shaded to match and blend very well with their surroundings. Although this is an easier game for an advanced player, anyone who is romantic or a dedicated sleuth would deeply enjoy this escape from the ordinary.

Genre:
Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone is a Hidden Object game with interactive elements.

Game Modes:
This game only has a standard, untimed mode and can also be played in windowed or full screen mode.

Depth:
Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone has nine different suspects to interview, each with four different scenes to investigate so an average player would be able to enjoy playing it for many hours.

Similar to:
This game is similar to Magic Encyclopedia, Magic Encyclopedia: Moon Light and Youda Legend: The Curse of the Amsterdam Diamond.

Difficulty level:
Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone is an easier game that can challenge a regular player but be made more simple for a beginning gamer with the use of hints.

Reviewed by L.D.

Edited on 07/27/2009 at 4:16:56 PM PST

cheffie45
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

Re:Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone comments and reviews

[Post New]by cheffie45 on Jul 25, 09 1:25 AM
umm sorry posted elsewhere....wonderful game

cheffie45
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by cheffie45 on Jul 25, 09 1:26 AM
ohhh my im a seahorse now...are they edible??

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Jul 25, 09 3:13 AM
This is a really nice game. Good story, good music, unlimited hints and, so far as I can tell, untimed. It's not going to cure cancer, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

Pinky559
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Pinky559 on Jul 25, 09 4:00 AM
hidden objects way too small most of my hour i was in just two rooms a nd did not finish either I was very unhappy with this game

Maclin
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Maclin on Jul 25, 09 4:02 AM
I was looking forward to this one, but left feeling disappointed. It's a HOG with a littledifficulty, but nothing much more to it
Some of the objects are very small, and fuzzy, so not my kind of thing....this time

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 25, 09 4:26 AM
I had some comments when this game was (accidently?) released earlier. A problem I had with the curser at the edge of the screen has been fixed!

I used a credit somewhat reluctantly. This is a favorite mystery for me and is a game I want badly to play. Too many of the objects are just too small which takes away a lot of the fun. One problem i had was with finding earrings in scenes full of jewelry. Everything is too small and it got old fast clicking on all the jewelry, being wrong and having that annoying pop-up that tells me i am wrong as if I didn't know. This is a game that really did need one of those built in magnifyers. if your vision is as poor as mine, this is not a game you will enjoy.

I was a bit slow to catch on to how some things work. For example, I found the Bible and i found the combination to open the Bible. I opened the Tools and there sat the combination, very visible. I could not get the numbers in the Bible to change. The buttons turned red when I pressed them but the numbers refused to move. I held the code over the numbers, no luck. Suddenly I saw the little spot where I needed to put the code. As soon as i put it there I was able to move the numbers and open the Bible. I also, for some reason, had trouble putting the letter together. As I recall, when I got this game a while back I stopped at this spot. I thought I had some tweezers to pick up the pieces of paper with but they were not in the Tool inventory. They also were not on any of the lists of things to find. I finally found a cotton swap which was what was needed. Either my memory is worse than I thought or there is more than one solution to the use of Tools.

Good vision would help me tremendously. As I do not have it, it would be great to have a magnifying glass but that is not available either. I will, however, struggle along because I love the story and look forward to seeing how it works out in this game. The graphics are good, the gameplay is ok. It's a great old mystery. I can only give it 3 out of 5 stars though. I am NOT the only person who struggles with teeny tiny objects.

queets
Manatee
Manatee
3,701 Posts

[Post New]by queets on Jul 25, 09 5:07 AM
I agree with Bribling having diffculty seeing some of the smaller items although I will buy it as it is a challenge to my eyesight and looks like a fun game so far

[Post New]by moirajose on Jul 25, 09 5:38 AM
I have played for the hour but the game kept closing and I had to restart it twice. Is this a glitch that will be fixed?? I will not consider buying it until this problem is fixed. Apart from that I really liked the game.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Jul 25, 09 5:47 AM
I played through to the start of the fourth suspect, using some hints along the way. I used the hints mostly to get to the next suspect, so I could hear the music! I LOVE the music in this game, and that is not usually a big factor for me.

I found the graphics to be beautiful and VERY clear, reminiscent of "Dr. Lynch". I prefer the almost photo-realistic look to the hand drawn appearance of some games, because I like to take screenshots and use them in my jigsaw puzzle game.

The objects to be found were well related to their location and time; I don't like looking for a cell phone in an 18th century stable. Some of the objects were very small and hard to find, but the hint system is unlimited and refills quickly.

The story was intriguing and drew me in immediately.

Now to the bad: I found the game to be rather glitchy. At the end of at least two of the three suspect chapters I completed, the game hung and wouldn't let do anything for a bit as my precious demo minutes ticked down. The same thing happened on at least one of the mini-game puzzles: I had solved the puzzle, yet I was unable to put down the tool used to solve it, or to advance in any other way, until the game decided to let me.

It seems as though it may be a bit on the short side, although I guess 2-1/2 to 3 hours isn't bad for 6.99. I'm not sure what the replay value might be.

I am inclined to buy this game, but I want to see if others have had the same sort of problems, and whether Tech Support has any suggestions to offer.

All in all: (of a possible 5)

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 25, 09 7:35 AM
It is good to see the quality of the graphics improving in **** games and I found the graphics excellent in this game.

As others have stated some of the objects were obscure and difficult to find- I did find the more I played and got used to the style and replaying of the rooms I found it was not too bad- so no complaints overall on that end, other than it did get a very tedious- I had to have lots of breaks.

Mini puzzles were very basic- nothing much to them.

The story was good and fun to guess at the end who was guilty- I guessed on my second go- the ending was kind of abrupt and I was waiting for more to happen - but it was over.

and a half

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jul 25, 09 7:57 AM
govegril wrote: The story was good and fun to guess at the end who was guilty- I guessed on my second go- the ending was kind of abrupt and I was waiting for more to happen - but it was over.

OMG, there for a minute I thought you were going to tell us who did it - what a revenge to all your "enemies"...

Which reminded me about an English gentleman, who went to see an Agatha Christie's movie, and the lady sitting in front of him had a big hat, which prevented him to see the movie. He asked her three times, politely, to remove her hat, and when she refused to do so - after the third time he whispered in her ear: "the butler did it"...

[Post New]by olympia_40 on Jul 25, 09 8:25 AM
I am stuck at the section where you steam the envelope open. However, it keeps telling me I need something to dig it out and there are no more items available. There is nothing to dig with.

michelle_hdpc
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by michelle_hdpc on Jul 25, 09 8:25 AM
Waiting for a great HOG, download now cant wait to try, looks good!!!!!!!

[Post New]by Cole2517 on Jul 25, 09 8:28 AM
All in all it was a pretty good game. I made it through the third suspect before my trial ran out. I agree that some of the objects are small and hard to find. I haven't quite decided as to whether I will use a credit for it or not yet. I tend to go through this type of game too fast and most do not have a lot of replay value in my opinion.

It seemed that the hour counted down faster than it actually was in reality. This could be a glitch on my side?!?

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Jul 25, 09 8:30 AM
Graphics: Excellent. The "story board" in the beginning had hand drawn art; very nicely done. The HOG scenes were beautfully done, reminiscent of Dr. Lynch and the Agatha Christie titles.
Music: Very interesting. I actually enjoyed it.
General: Untimed mode. Nine suspects to play through, all with multiple rooms to search. Clues and evidence is entered into a "log" for each suspect.
Hidden Object scenes: Very well done. Some of the items are extremely tiny; at one point I used 3 hints and STILL had to click like a maniac to find the very small rose petal. "Hot spots" seem to be very specific on where you need to click. Random clicking does not generate anything more than a "nothing special here" message. HOG lists are fairly long; as you find items the list scrolls up to reveal more items. The list does not appear to change on replay.
Mini-games: The usual. There are items to find in each scene that require use of tools (found in other scenes) to do something with them. They run the range from putting together jigsaw type puzzles to opening combination locks. You must solve the crime at the end by using the evidence you've collected.
Hint System: Unlimited. Draws a circle around the item (and even then, being the items are very small, sometimes you STILL can't see it). Hints recharge quickly.
Length/Replay: With nine suspects, all with multiple rooms to search, this is probably your standard length game (between 2 and 4 hours, depending on skill). It did not appear that the HOG lists changed on replay, although I would like to note here that I encountered a glitch when trying to make a new profile and so I wasted about twenty minutes of my demo time trying to create a new profile to evaluate if the lists change at all. I don't imagine that the conclusion of the story (the whodunit) will change on replay but I don't know for sure, as I only did the demo. I guess if you wait a while to "forget" it could have replay value.
Possible glitch: With creating a new profile. I will detail this seperately in a new thread for this forum.
Overall Impression: Other than the possible glitch I encountered with player profiles, this was a well done game with excellent graphics. The HOG scenes were satisfying and the length seems to be decent. This game is going on my "must buy" list. (Boy, that list is getting long.)

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Jul 25, 09 8:31 AM
So at the end, did you actually get to solve the mystery or was it done for you?

Thanks Sillyfeet you seem to have answered the next question while I was typing it.
Also, I see lots of opportunity for re-plays to have different objects to find (like all the lady bugs in one room or sicisors in another). Does anyone know if the second time through the game uses different items?

Edited on 07/25/2009 at 8:34:34 AM PST

michelle_hdpc
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by michelle_hdpc on Jul 25, 09 8:40 AM
OK download, I must be a dunce, after the intro and it goes to the screen with the suspects how do I proceed with starting the game?????

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Jul 25, 09 8:46 AM
michelle_hdpc wrote:OK download, I must be a dunce, after the intro and it goes to the screen with the suspects how do I proceed with starting the game?????

One of the suspects cards will be in color; click on them to start.

[Post New]by stevensann on Jul 25, 09 9:12 AM
Help have downloaded 60 mins, once hit play, freezes then goes to error. When i try again I have lost 6 mins, tyring to get on to this to play.
Have unistalled and reinstalled 4 times now, and still can not play

Help

Go to: