A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/25/2015 at 8:37:37 AM PST

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Beyond: Light Advent Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Jul 25, 15 1:42 AM
I had no issues playing the demo. But I wanted to say KUDOS for an interesting story, different from the similar themes that we have been getting. It took me off guard! The story looks a bit more complex than the usual and I'm going to buy the full version. I like the tattoos reminiscent of the movie "Divergent".

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

Been waiting for this game for ages

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Jul 25, 15 2:12 AM
I was lucky to beta this game earlier on this year. I loved it and have been waiting for it to come. I've just downloaded the game and about to start playing now. It has everything - great graphics and storyline. Yee yah.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Jul 25, 15 2:18 AM
Played the beta too. Seems to have all for a really great game! Something else, very special......Think, everybody should demo at least.

Off to play!

ciscaR8
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by ciscaR8 on Jul 25, 15 3:25 AM
maybe its a guys game? to many technical things a no buy for me i tried to get interested in the game but i got bored real fast

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Jul 25, 15 4:08 AM
Just finished the demo. This game is really cool 1950's SciFi - lovely!

The graphics are good, the voices are good (with just one exception), the villains are suitably scary, and the music seems very fitting as well.

I especially loved how the hint '"icon" was changed on the screen - well done, Devs!

I understand that science fiction is not to everyone's taste, but as a life long fan of Doctor Who, Star Trek, Stargate, Star Wars and various other shows (and books too, of course, lol), so far, this game is playing just right for me.

Set in 1950s America, as far as I can tell, all the items are from that period

About the only thing I could wish for, is that the guy doing Nix's voice had put some more light and shade into his lines. Diana and Carl (?) both have great voices but Nix is just a bit too monotone. Ah well, guess I can't have everything

I'm off to buy.

Cheers,

Jen

PS: I'm definitely not a guy, and any mini games I can't do, I skip, lol

Edited on 07/25/2015 at 4:09:36 AM PST

ganonsbane
Catfish
Catfish
1,595 Posts

[Post New]by ganonsbane on Jul 25, 15 4:15 AM
I was hooked 30 minutes into the Demo. I The Demo SG does not show the locations of any Collectibles but I found 2 types. There are 44 Rockets to collect but I didn't find one in every location. Plus, there are Morphing Objects in the HOPs. I prefer the Morphing Objects to be in the location scenes but I like the game enough to deal with that.

The story line is new to me. Of course, you have save the world but being helped by an imaginary alien friend from childhood that turned out to be real is unique. This is definitely a change for the better from the games that are usually released. I wouldn't expect anything else from Mad Head Games. I've played several of their games & they all were great. I almost purchased the game as soon as I saw the Mad Head Logo but many other developers have become Game Mills so I thought I would at least test it. The game more than met all my expectations.

The graphics are great. The puzzles are different. They are not extremely easy but not too hard for me. I like having to think for a couple minutes to figure out what I need to do. I think that I'll enjoy playing it very much.

I already had another CE on my BOGO list but Buy One Get One for $1.99 US was close enough. They just finish downloading so it's time to play, now.

P.S. I'm a man but I don't see how you could think this game is made for guys. You playing the game in the shoes of the heroine named Dianne. I'm pretty sure that she's female. I prefer games that are neutral gender but if I passed on all the games that have a female leading character then I would miss out on a lot of great games.

Edited on 07/25/2015 at 12:47:26 PM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 25, 15 4:51 AM
I also betaed this and really liked it. I'm going to demo, but if I like it as much as I did when I betaed it, then it's a sure buy for me. I remember having a few period-piece disgruntlements, but in no way did that detract from the game. I'm also a Dr. Who, Star Wars, etc. fan and love sci fi.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 25, 15 5:29 AM
I also got the beta of this game to test and really enjoyed it. Not quite as thrilled the second time round but it's definitely different and Nix is still lovely to look at

Graphics are top-notch; Nix's home world is stunning and I want to move there as soon as possible! HOS are varied and some are not easy to complete; pale items on a pale background equals hard to see! Puzzles that I found were quite interesting, although I skipped one of those 'press the buttons I press' memory games as I'm not a fan

There were collectibles in the form of rockets but I only found one. And I found one morph in the HOS by accident. There is a map which transports. Didn't look at the SG so I've no idea what extras there are or how many chapters but the game is entertaining enough as it is. And as a sci-fi fan for years, it's so refreshing to have a game with this theme.

Pity there's not another CE I want, so will just add another GCC to the one I have already to buy this game

ETA: No technical issues with the demo. Desktop running Win7 Pro 64-bit.

Edited on 07/25/2015 at 5:30:44 AM PST

j62janet
Clownfish
Clownfish
638 Posts

[Post New]by j62janet on Jul 25, 15 5:37 AM
So far I'm loving the game, I had problems the first time I played it after I bought it, but now I think the game is great, totally different to the games I've bought in the past, a thumbs up from me

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jul 25, 15 6:07 AM
I am just (in part) done with the demo - my initial response is WOW!

The graphics, music, story line and variety of the HO's/puzzles are unique in some ways and not overly difficult.

This dev is one of my favorites and they have given us a real treat on this game as far as I can tell.

I would go more in detail, but the other reviewers have said what I would of and I want to thank them for their reviews!

So very nice to have something different.

Enjoy fellow fishies'

Ci

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jul 25, 15 8:36 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Beyond: Light Advent Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Beyond: Light Advent Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

Edited on 07/25/2015 at 8:36:53 AM PST

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Jul 25, 15 9:25 AM
Well, beam us up Scotty! This is a different type of game than I usually play so I'm not going to complain because I know there are many gamers out there that are hungry for sy-fi. The only thing I take exception to is the light show EVERY time you use the hint button or get "blinked" to a different area, frankly it hurts my eyes.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Jul 25, 15 11:30 AM
Sooo different to other games, style, content, mini games etc...Devs be aware, we dont always want the "same old"!
Off to buy with another that has caught me eye on this offer w/end! Ta chaps!!!

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jul 25, 15 11:38 AM
I did the beta for this game a while back too. While I like the different story line, I remember I put in my comments to please cut back on the bright, flashing lights as I have light sensitivities and get a headache very easily and I also asked for the developers to please get rid of the annoying thunking sound when a wrong click is made, neither of them were changed. As the graphics are great, as usual from this developer, I really need to think before I purchase.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Jul 25, 15 12:21 PM
I appreciate the effort to bring something new to the table, but overall, not very exciting. Would take something more to move me to explore it beyond the demo.

Too much "conversation" that can't be moved along. LOTS of "video". I prefer playing the game, as opposed to watching it.

edit: The "something more" was a sale. Got it for $6.99 and sorry I spent even that. I thought there MUST be something more beyond the demo for the game to have such rave reviews. So...

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

The graphics and music were BEYOND FABULOUS.

The gameplay? BEYOND slow. BEYOND non-intuitive. BEYOND boring.

So many times I KNEW what had to be done, but had to wait for the game to let me do it. Just as many times when I had NO CLUE what to do.

SO much S-L-O-W video...sat there WAITING for something to do. Every entry into a new scene required panning left, right, close-up on areas of interest...pan out. The scene was explored before I even got a mouse-click in.

A mountain of "repair this" side work.

I KNOW there was three (maybe four?) times I had to create a grappling hook...sheets and broom handle, rope and hoe, rope and shovel (?)... Hard to remember when you're just going through the motions to get through it.

Wow. I lost count of the number of times I had to "move" things out of the way to reach the object I needed. Twenty? More? Just about every item I needed was buried under a pile of something...or buried in a junk-pile HOP.

Puzzles made more difficult due to the lack of clear instructions.

Cowboys and Indians. Way too much annoying "nerd" sidekick interaction...seemed to be going for comic relief? Whatever the point, it was just bad and, I thought, did NOTHING for the story. Nerd? Good. Comedy with this story? Not so much.

The actual "alien threat" only appeared a couple of times. Just disappointing...and BORING.

Should have listened to my gut and steered clear. The gut rarely lies.

Edited on 08/08/2015 at 7:07:38 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 25, 15 1:59 PM
Wow! Now this is what I'm talking about...when I mean the Best Game! Sci-Fi are my all time favorite games and movies!!

I never listen to the music...I'll check it out in a game...but never really like it. But, I love the music in the game! In fact, I can't think of one thing I don't love about this game. This is a must try and a buy for me.

This is the kind of game that gets my best rating. Because for me...it's different from the normal...and it has new things we didn't expect. IMO I highly Recommend this game! Wonderful job & well done to the Developers!
Thanks for giving us a great game. Enjoy, Lisa

I rate this game: “DIVINE FINE SWINE”

“These are my terms for Hogs, I Hogs, frogs & Adventure games:

“DIVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot.

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

edited: spelling

Edited on 07/25/2015 at 7:00:47 PM PST

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Jul 25, 15 3:11 PM
@ Angelfish

Thanks for the reminder on those stunning views! When I went outside, I just wanted to sit down and enjoy the view - there was so much to see and it was so beautiful So I did, lol.

Jen

lilcaz
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by lilcaz on Jul 25, 15 4:00 PM
Loved this game - different and engaging. I didn't even skip the cut scenes which is unusual for me! I was a bit confused with all the jumping about but that didn't spoil the fun. I hope this is the first in a long line of adventures with Nix! Now I'm off to play the bonus game. Thank you BF x

Edited on 07/25/2015 at 4:02:17 PM PST

emmydog
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by emmydog on Jul 25, 15 10:52 PM
All I can say is "Wow!" I'm not a big fan of science fiction, but this game is so different from all the others that it's a joy to play. The graphics are great, the storyline intriguing and the voice acting (with the exception of Nix) is excellent. I don't usually play with the music on but even it's appealing.

Well done, developers!

As always, demo it for yourself and if you do, I think most will like it.

p.s. It's always a pleasure to see LoveToMissLisa drop in and review now and then. We have the same taste in games and if she says this one is "divine fine swine" I know it'll be good!

Go to: