mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

Why is it..

[Post New]by mpendo on Jul 25, 15 8:36 PM
that after BF forum has been hacked I get viruses on my computer that even Norton has difficulty removing?

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

Re:Why is it..

[Post New]by Bluex on Jul 26, 15 1:36 PM
That's very weird as you are the first reporting this. I'll tell you what I know. For the most part those spam postings are just that. So don't even bother opening them to flag. Play it safe and let the mods do that. Mostly a virus works by either visiting a page , opening an attachment or link.
Now Norton should NOT be allowing anything like that in period you may have to check your settings as it should BLOCK viruses from entering your computer, thats its job, period. BFG does generate quite a few adware that can be considered "viruses" but are not. The cookies left behind by BFG are littered with them.
I use CC Cleaner. its free and it cleans your machine safely and effectively and it would work with Norton. Also when your Norton contract is over download for free one of the best antivirus on the market is Avast..easy safe an no fuss and doesn't slow your machine as much as Norton does.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Jul 26, 15 1:49 PM
I use Norton 360 and haven't had any viruses show up after BF is inundated with spam. And I never click on the messages to flag them.

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on Jul 27, 15 5:45 AM
Thanks guys for your advise. Norton definitely slows your system. You're right, I don't think it's BF as I have been hanging out here for years. But I am so careful where I go (no phorn, gambling etc. lol). But BF, is there no way you can block these spammers who invade our forum - they creep me out.

Happy Monday. We are having a gorgeous summer up here. I'm counting my many blessings today.

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on Jul 27, 15 6:26 AM
I think what you are seeing is Adware. they are programs (yes like a virus) but not with the effects of a virus which is normally a malicious program with a specific intent to destroy or hamper.

Here is the definition of ADware:
Adware, or advertising-supported software, is any software package that automatically renders advertisements in order to generate revenue for its author. The advertisements may be in the user interface of the software or on a screen presented to the user during the installation process.

Now these programs can and will set off alarms with some antiviruses. Norton one of the worst at this. Since they are tied to your personal site habits might be more difficult to remove(as you have unknowingly accepted them) Sites in the EU (especially the UK) is one of the few countries that actually warn or tell you they use cookies. But every sight out there does this. That's why when you go to lets say Macy's online to look at something, you will notice more and more ads for Macy's as you peruse the web. That's a cookie or adware.

Easiest way to get rid of all this stuff is to clear your browser cache via the different cogs in your browser. The only pain is it erases the settings you actually have put in for those favorite sites. Such as blocking pop ups, flash, etc, etc.

Now as far as blocking BOTS (web robots, that's the spam we see in here which we ain't supposed to be talking about ) Those are extremely difficult to prevent. Very hard to pinpoint the source to block it as its constantly moving its IP address. You block one address and it creates another. BFG does have filters in place but its a headache for almost all sites that have a forum due to the nature of a forum. You wish it to be easy for users to use and at the same time prevent spam hacks. hard to do it. So they filter by trying to have users only post one comment a minute. I for one feel for the Mods on this as its a grinding thing to have to do daily. Especially harder if someone answers the bot, adds more work..

[Post New]by WildCat_1988 on Jul 27, 15 10:04 AM
Can I throw this out there? I had recently this year had a re-call on my Norton 360 and when I went to get the newest edition for this year, there was none to be found. I had to purchase the Norton Internet Security for this year, I found it does the same as my 360 but was a lot cheaper to get for 3 computers. So I found it took care of the malicious adware, bad cookies, etc. It even put all my Spam, Junk, and any email that looked suspicious in it's own little folder so I could delete them all with 1-click.
I read an old post made a while back that another player had the same problem with their Norton 360, when they went to their Web Site, they found they were pulling all the 360's off the shelves due to a problem they were having and give a refund to those who had purchased that particular item. This may have been a 1-time deal so I don't know if the deal is still any good.
Hope this info helps.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jul 28, 15 3:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

I want to assure everyone that the appearance of spam in the Forums does not mean that the Big Fish Games site has been hacked.

For an explanation, I want to thank Bluex for hitting the nail on the head and to everyone else who's provided helpful feedback.

I also want to assure everyone that our site, as well as our games, are guaranteed to be 100% virus free.

Even though you may see spam posts on our site, your system will not be harmed by simply viewing them. The only way you can be affected negatively by them is by deliberately visiting any web addresses listed in those posts or by contacting any listed email addresses or phone numbers.

We understand that it can be aggravating to see this daily influx of spam in the Forums. The Forum Moderation Team shares in this aggravation, as it is our task to manually remove each spam post on a daily basis. Unfortunately, this is the only way it can be removed. We’ve put in a request to upgrade our spam filters, but while we wait for this, you may notice a continued spam presence. Those posts may also remain visible for a few hours longer than you may be used to. This spam will be removed as soon as we're able, but the Forum Mod Team also wants to make sure that we continue to focus on other important duties that include providing direct replies and assistance to our Forums users.

To aid us in this endeavor, we ask everyone to keep the Forum Rules in mind, specifically:

Do not respond to or comment on posts or discussions that break the rules. Report the post or discussion to a moderator. Contributing, even to mention that something breaks the rules, keeps that discussion visible and aggravates the problem.

If you see any spam posts in this forum, we ask that you simply ignore it – difficult as it may be to look past these posts. This thread will now be locked, but do know that any spam posts you encounter will be removed by the Mods.

Thank you all for your patience,

bfgWaimea

Go to: