handyfr
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

NOT Hidden Object

[Post New]by handyfr on Jul 26, 15 9:43 AM
Please be warned, if you are purchasing this game thinking it's a HOP game as listed, it's NOT!

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

NOT Hidden Object

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 26, 15 10:11 AM
handyfr wrote:Please be warned, if you are purchasing this game thinking it's a HOP game as listed, it's NOT!

Then what is it? Don't tease us and leave us hanging....

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

Re:NOT Hidden Object

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 26, 15 10:11 AM
Thanks for the warning, but what is it instead, in your opinion?

photog62
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by photog62 on Jul 26, 15 11:14 AM
It's a pretty well done adventure game. Nice graphics, map that lets you jump to places. Puzzles that make you think without pulling your hair out. Just wondering how long it is before I buy it. Some of these games are so short, you can finish them in less than 2 hours.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 26, 15 11:52 AM
Thanks, photog62! That's rather a recommendation then in my book, but when you look at the reviews on the game DL page, it seems to be very short indeed.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 26, 15 12:21 PM
photog62 wrote:It's a pretty well done adventure game. Nice graphics, map that lets you jump to places. Puzzles that make you think without pulling your hair out. Just wondering how long it is before I buy it. Some of these games are so short, you can finish them in less than 2 hours.

My thanks as well! Sounds good to me.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Jul 26, 15 12:24 PM
This is a good game with replay value. Not so long that you are bored with it by the time you reach the last chapter. I bought it at 9:30 this morning, stopped for lunch and just finished at 2:15 so for me the length was just fine. I rarely buy SE's but glad I picked this one up and frankly I enjoyed it more than the CE's this week. No HOS but rather a seek and find objects that you need to use to operate an item. Only one potion to make and it was super easy. Puzzles are not so mind bending that you are tearing your hair out and if you didn't like it the skip button fills fairly quickly. Graphics looked a little soft focus on my computer but that may be the fault of my 27" monitor screen. Definitely worth a coupon.

Edited at the request of DD: LOL I meant the the game was worth replaying when my CRS has set in and I've forgotten where everything is. I don't think there were any extras included with this game.

Edited on 07/26/2015 at 1:50:46 PM PST

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Jul 26, 15 12:39 PM
I was wondering if there was and Hidden Object places, I am where that you have to lift the crane. My graphics are sharp, no voices but I really dont mind that sometimes its annoying. I thought I lost my cane when it called for it, only to find it next to my inventory. I like it so far, not to hard, and enjoy something different than what we see almost every day. Got a free game, so off to buy!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 26, 15 12:45 PM
Thank you, too, Penny1942!

Would you care to add another sentence (or more <g> ) whether you mean re-playable mini games (or such) or something re. the story with "replay value", pls?

( Bartsister, for a first effort at twin-posting we weren't bad, eh?! )

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 26, 15 8:20 PM
_DD_ wrote:
( Bartsister, for a first effort at twin-posting we weren't bad, eh?! )

I agree! Can't believe we posted in the exact same minute.

Thanks everyone for the other answers! I will definitely pick this up with a PCC this month.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 27, 15 9:26 AM
Bartsister wrote: I agree! Can't believe we posted in the exact same minute.

Yep - when I saw it I thought I would never have managed to do it, had I tried.

Penny1942 wrote: Edited at the request of DD: LOL I meant the the game was worth replaying when my CRS has set in and I've forgotten where everything is. I don't think there were any extras included with this game.

LOL, Penny! I understand completely. Sometimes I don't remember what I played yesterday... therefore, haven't replayed a HOG in a looong time.

Many thanks again, everyone! I had seen the game at a different portal before and didn't try it, cos their description sounded like "many HOS". Now, after having read the posts in this thread, I'll play it.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jul 27, 15 6:21 PM
Yep, I would call it adventure "lite" and I am thoroughly enjoying myself! I'm about 4 hours in and haven't finished yet so I wouldn't call it short, not for an SE.

Enjoy all!!

ganonsbane
Catfish
Catfish
1,595 Posts

[Post New]by ganonsbane on Jul 28, 15 4:07 PM
I haven't played the Demo, yet, but it sounds like what was called a "Large File Adventure". I know 578 MB doesn't seem that large, now, but the 1st MCF, "Huntsville" was only 23 MB. At the time, we got standard Hidden Object Games (like "Huntsville", "Mystery P.I." & "Big City Adventure"), Role Playing Games (like "Aveyond"), Puzzle Games (like "World Mosaics" & "Crazy Machines") & Large File Adventure (like "Riddle of Sphinx" & the "Nancy Drew series". Then, one of the developers got the idea to create a game that would corner 3 game markets "Hidden Object", "Puzzle" & "Large File Adventure". The created the HOPA.

I think HOPAs need to have a separate Genre with no cross-over into other Game Genres. Now, if you are looking for a standard "Hidden Object Game", "Puzzle" or "Adventure", it's nearly impossible to find them because all the HOPAs are listed in all 3 Genres.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jul 29, 15 10:09 PM
Howdy Ganonsbane - and when did you become a puffer?! Congrats! (feels like I've been a minnow forever!)
But to agree with you on most of your post but differ on this game. I called this adventure "lite" because it's far more simple and straightforward (although by no means less enjoyable to me) than the Nancy Drew's, Syberia's , Myst style games which pretty much leave you to your own wits, notebook, calculator, and/or glued to a walkthrough. This one is styled like the new standard HOPA's but without the annoying searching for things, which I really love getting a break from, frankly.

Any who, hope you give it a whirl! Cheers!
-KG

j62janet
Clownfish
Clownfish
638 Posts

[Post New]by j62janet on Jul 30, 15 11:08 AM
For me it's a hidden object, as you have to find different items, OK it's not the usual hidden object game, but I've enjoyed playing it

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Aug 1, 15 11:06 AM
I haven't gotten very far into the demo, but for me.....it doesn't matter what I call it, except for it looks like a good SE.....and I can spend a coupon on it.
Now, if only BF will give us a Double Coupon day!

ushina
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by ushina on Aug 3, 15 9:32 AM
ganonsbane wrote:I haven't played the Demo, yet, but it sounds like what was called a "Large File Adventure". I know 578 MB doesn't seem that large, now, but the 1st MCF, "Huntsville" was only 23 MB. At the time, we got standard Hidden Object Games (like "Huntsville", "Mystery P.I." & "Big City Adventure"), Role Playing Games (like "Aveyond"), Puzzle Games (like "World Mosaics" & "Crazy Machines") & Large File Adventure (like "Riddle of Sphinx" & the "Nancy Drew series". Then, one of the developers got the idea to create a game that would corner 3 game markets "Hidden Object", "Puzzle" & "Large File Adventure". The created the HOPA.

I think HOPAs need to have a separate Genre with no cross-over into other Game Genres. Now, if you are looking for a standard "Hidden Object Game", "Puzzle" or "Adventure", it's nearly impossible to find them because all the HOPAs are listed in all 3 Genres.

I fully agree with you. I love games without those HO Lists in it and was very
happy to see it is an Adventure - so why don't they also name it like that? I would buy them immediately. If there are more games like that, could someone please let me know which ones - I would be very thankful for that!

Go to: