Review

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Review

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 26, 09 2:42 AM
I have waited for the Review thread but am too tired to wait longer. Here's my take.

I have played 45 min. This game has nice graphics and I love the music. It is an ok junk pile game. Each scene has lots of little extras to look for which when found will raise your score - find the letters of Dillingers name, find the bank safes, find the wanted posters, find the stacks of cash. Find them all, you can get a pretty good score if that interests you. It could also be fun to try and top yourself.

The game has way too much dialog. I usually read everything but I got tired of all that yaking very fast and moved through it as fast as I could. When you skip this, you might miss out on some of the info regarding the extra items to find. I missed something about Hints I think as I noticed I got an extra Hint occasionally.

Most of the objects are easy to find. Some blend in a bit so you will need to look a little closer. I was able to see everthing but some items were hidden a little better than others.

You have the option to choose cohorts to go along with you. You will get extra help depending on who you choose. For example, you will get more time to crack the safe if you choose the right man. I played the untimed mode so I guess that this may not have effected me. Either way, the minis (such as cracking the safe) are just too simple to matter. Don't worry about them. I think that even if they are on a timer they will be easy.

This is an ok, sometimes fun HOG. it is colorful. it could use a little tweaking of dialog and minis but is, overall a good junk pile. I would give it 2 1/2 stars. I scored it a little low because of the endless dialog and the boring, repetitive minis.

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

Re:Review

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Jul 26, 09 5:23 AM
bribling; Thanks for review; I have DLed game and will trial it. Your info will help lots
Played trial and enjoyed it. Agree with most of what Lordkalvan says but found it an interesting twist to rob banks. I think the clock on untimed mode is just to show how long it takes you.

After frustration and problems with Moonstone it was a relief to play a game with no problems.

Edited on 07/26/2009 at 7:18:34 AM PST

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jul 26, 09 7:08 AM
Music (but not relaxing music)
Most of the items to find are "in period"
Returning to the same scene has items in different locations (possibly new items too)
Some of the clues were interesting. For example (whited out): green feathers turned out to be a parakeet

I really don't like the concept - I don't want to help Dillinger rob banks
I *thought* I was on untimed mode, but I saw a clock and the hands were changing.
I like looking for extra stuff, but really, find all the wanted posters AND find all the letters AND find multiple piles of cash?
The minigames were way too easy

I'm going to uninstall.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 26, 09 7:26 AM
Agree with what has been said already -
I gave it another try as I already had demoed elsewhere and the game does not appeal to me- the story is boring, the gameplay is too simple and repetitive. I will say the graphics are very good.
I have the feeling that it is the same over and over with the bank robbery scenes so once you play the demo that is all there is to the game.

Uninstalled it again.

twentz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by twentz on Jul 26, 09 9:57 AM
I also got bored with the same minis and the same words.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jul 26, 09 10:56 AM
I thought the game was well done. I love the graphics and the music. I actually felt like I was in the '20's. I didn't think the items were too easy to find, I had to use my hints.

My only problem with the game is that I don't like playing a violent criminal.

Otherwise it's a brilliant game. The minigames could be a bit more diversified.

freshbrat_
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by freshbrat_ on Jul 26, 09 11:04 AM
I think there are way better HOG games out there than this one....It was so boring and repetitive I couldnt get through the demo...sorry not my cup of tea!

polarglen
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by polarglen on Jul 26, 09 11:16 AM
You're all more patient than I am -- gave up almost immediately -- too much verbiage, hints dropping onto to the screen, etc. Too much game-time wasting.

I've deleted it and will not purchase.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jul 26, 09 11:46 AM
I like the verbiage and the story. The same folks who did the Unicorn Killer game did this one, and there was a lot of dialogue in that game as well.

It seems a nice enough HOG. The fact that I found two misspelled words in five minutes of play was annoying for me. I really wish I didn't even notice stuff like this, though, as misspelled words are becoming the rule rather than the exception in any casual game that I play. I need to stop feeling that it detracts from the game, but so far I have been unsuccessful in changing that.

The music is a plus.

I won't be buying it. At this point, I am waiting for either the new build of Midnight Mysteries and/or a new match-3 game.

Edited on 07/26/2009 at 11:52:05 AM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Jul 26, 09 11:49 AM
I couldn't delete this game fast enough. It is boring and slow, not what I look for in an Hidden Object game.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 26, 09 11:51 AM
I don`t like this game. It`s very boring. It`s on of the badest HOGs I have ever played, I have played many of them. Only

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jul 26, 09 12:33 PM
Anyone know how long this game is?

Is it just the 8 banks listed at the beginning that you have to rob? Or does it go on from there?

I got through 4 banks in my demo hour so I'm wondering just how much gameplay there would be here.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jul 26, 09 1:23 PM
There's a walkthrough posted on Gamezebo. It shows 8 banks, plus a movie theater at the end. The review there says it's on the short side.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jul 26, 09 2:06 PM
Thanks Lordkalvan!

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jul 26, 09 3:12 PM
Howatch wrote:I like the verbiage and the story. The same folks who did the Unicorn Killer game did this one, and there was a lot of dialogue in that game as well.

It seems a nice enough HOG. The fact that I found two misspelled words in five minutes of play was annoying for me. I really wish I didn't even notice stuff like this, though, as misspelled words are becoming the rule rather than the exception in any casual game that I play. I need to stop feeling that it detracts from the game, but so far I have been unsuccessful in changing that.

The music is a plus.

I won't be buying it. At this point, I am waiting for either the new build of Midnight Mysteries and/or a new match-3 game.

Misspelled words are a definite distraction... I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to find with Matador spelled Matator. I thought it was some type of prehistoric animal. If the word is not spelled correctly you have no clue what to look for.

[Post New]by snowflakesh on Jul 26, 09 4:13 PM
not worth the trouble or time to download!!!! give us good HOG'S!!!!!

[Post New]by ChristmasEve on Jul 26, 09 11:31 PM
I finished the trial game with no problems. Can you believe that?!!!! No problems. I liked it but I don't think I will buy it. Quite honestly I'm afraid to buy any game now. The four previous games I bought before trying this one I had nothing but problems with all of them. I can't finish the Edgar Allen Poe game or the Magic Encyclopedia-Moonlight. Did anyone ever get any answers to the problems of these games?

hogamefan
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by hogamefan on Jul 27, 09 3:46 AM
Uhhhhmmmm, call me picky, but shouldn't the bullet point (excuse the pun) that reads 'Multiple minigames' be amended to 'The same two minigames played multiple times, and with no skip option' ? Sorry, but in my honest opinion it's misleading. On another note, regarding the length of the game, I demoed it on another site a while ago, and picked up where I left off on this site today, and finished the game with 7 minutes left. Hope this helps anyone trying to decide whether or not to purchase. I give it a definite

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jul 27, 09 6:44 AM
Wow! I must agree with you guys. This game is boring. The music is annoying.
The mini games are, well just 'silly'. I deleted it within 20 minutes of play.

BellaGirl27
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by BellaGirl27 on Jul 27, 09 8:51 AM
I thought the game was pretty good for awhile but I do agree there was way to much talking. I played the demo twice at other sites, but I couldnt get past the third egress mini game. the patrons were all escaping, I tried and tried and couldnt get it right. So frustrating, especially with others saying it was easy! WHat am I doing wrong? I tried it with other guys too and no luck. if there was a skip button I would have purchased this game in heartbeat, but i'm not giong to buy another game I cant finish.
I did like that it had other items to pick up in the scene. Needs better variety for mini games.

Go to: