Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

AH: Dillinger Review Too!

[Post New]by Sante001 on Jul 26, 09 5:39 AM
This is a HOG where you go along with John Dillinger and his gang as they rob 8 different banks. Each bank represents a different level with each level requiring you to perform the same activities: Casing the joint, block the bank entrance, the robbery and breaking the bank. In the casing the joint and robbing the bank, you will have hidden objectives to find.

In addition to the HOs, these two scenes also have other bonus objects to find -- Time, money, letters that spell Dillinger and wanted posters. If you find all the letters and wanted posters, you will earn an extra $5000 for each.

You can play this game in timed or relaxed mode. I played in time mode and you have plenty of time to complete each stage of the game.

The Plus
. I enjoyed the graphics. The hidden objects are easy to find and combining **** with finding the extra money, letters and posters is an added plus. You also have to find 5-colored keys during one of the scenes. These keys will unlock the bank in the mini-game.

The Con. There is a great deal of dialogue between each scene and you can't skip it. This takes away from the fun of playing the game. There are two mini-games after each bank heist -- Blocking the Bank Egress and Breaking the Bank. These are repeated during each heist and after compleing them at least twice, they can become boring.

Overall. I give it a for easy HOG, fairly decent graphics, and I believe attempt at creativity in the HOG arena.

I give it a 2-1/2 out of 5 stars. This game is fairly short and I don't know about replay value. It will not challenge the experienced HOG players. I enjoyed playing the demo, but don't think I will purchase.

That's All Folks!

Edited on 07/27/2009 at 7:01:25 AM PST

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

Re:AH: Dillinger Review Too!

[Post New]by lentenrose on Jul 26, 09 7:54 AM
Great description. I would only add that there is no penalty for wrong clicks, making this even better for new HOG fans.

On the other hand, I won't buy this. Same formula each time. I could not skip the dialog or either of the mini games (I found both boring).

sunnydde1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by sunnydde1 on Jul 26, 09 8:05 AM
Downloading it now. I like the time period and it sounds like a fun game

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 26, 09 12:55 PM
I demoed this at another site......I enjoyed the hidden objects scenes but the two mini games didn't grab my interest. I chose not to buy it then and don't think I will buy it now. Hungry for a good hog but not starving, I guess, lol.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

AH: Dillinger Review Too!

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 26, 09 1:04 PM
Sante001 wrote: In the casing the joint and robbing the bank, you will have hidden objectives to find.

Need clarification here - objective means a purpose or task to complete within a time frame. Did you actually mean objects? OR are there tasks to you must find and complete along with finding objects? If there were actual objectives to complete, like adventure puzzles, this might be worth a go. If just Hidden Object screens where you are finding objects off a list I'll pass.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jul 26, 09 1:20 PM
There are no inventory items. Choosing who to add to your gang only effects timed mode. I only did two banks, but in each case it was the same two minigames to play, one keeping customers away for a certain time, the other determining the correct order for the colored keys to unlock the vault.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jul 26, 09 3:34 PM
This game had potential but missed including things that many of us keep asking for.

Like a skip for the dialogue. This is a very chatty game and there is no alternative but to keep clicking through.

How about a skip for the mini-games? Especially the rob the bank thing. There should be a skip for the whole thing, one that cost you money. There should be a "reset", though, that doesn't cost anything. And why can't I put the robbers where I decide? Why only a couple of places along the paths?

Where's the variety of mini-games? This one had only 2 and both were pretty simple. The keys game never went past 5 keys. There's lots of opportunities within the game theme for mini-games. How about a shooting/bullseye game? Or a maze game where you have to find your way out of town? Or one where you have to move your bags of gold in so many moves? Lots of missed chances here.

You could have turned choosing your partners in crime into a mini-game. There was the same group of robbers to choose from each time. It didn't cost more to pick a better robber so why not always choose the one who increases your speed and time at the vault? This could have been expanded to include a bigger roster of robbers, who want different amounts of the stolen money. Maybe even include some bad habits for them so you have to weigh benefit against problems.

Why no record of my money on the game pages? You only see how much money you have earned at the end of each set. Without seeing my cash go up each time I found something, it took some of the thrill away for me. So what if I missed some of the bonus cash? There didn't seem to be any real reason to go after it. Maybe they should have put in a way to track whether or not I got all the cash. At least that way I have something to shoot for.

Clearly someone took a lot of time to research this era and Dillinger in particular. I liked searching for the letters and the money and the Wanted posters. I thought the vault time bonuses were overkill but I also didn't really need the extra time. The graphics are good too, despite the game being quite short.

No game provides everything but this one doesn't even come close to realizing it's potential.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Jul 26, 09 4:51 PM
Hi Poodlebear. "My bad." Yes, I meant Hidden Objects, not Hidden Objectives

[Post New]by goldenpixie1 on Jul 26, 09 7:29 PM
Just tried the demo. I thought the hidden object part of the game was nice and rather relaxing - things were easy to find (with one or two exceptions).

The mini puzzles were way too easy - although I don't like puzzles in my HOGs but I would have liked an option to skip the "block the egress" puzzle at least since that one was boring. If you didn't want to catch the coins that dropped, you could just position your robber to block the exit and wait for the timer to count down.

The safe/key puzzle was easy and since I hate the puzzles anyway, this one was okay because I was able to get through it quickly.

I liked having the extra things to find - cash, wanted posters, typewriter keys spelling dillinger - in each bank robbery set.

I liked that the objects and images in the game were time-period correct and also that the story-line followed along historically.

If Dillinger said "let's blow this joint" one more time, I was gonna scream!

I read in another post that there are only 8 banks to rob in all. I got through 6 during the demo hour. So, I'm figuring this is gonna be way too short of a game for me, so I'm passing on it.

I agree with the original posting of a rating of 2 1/2 out of 5.

Edited on 07/26/2009 at 7:31:42 PM PST

Go to: