A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/27/2015 at 6:48:26 AM PST

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Gunspell here

[Post New]by Janette5 on Jul 27, 15 2:38 AM
Thank you Daxadillion for opening the thread. I appreciate it.

Gunspell is an adventure game. You are the Main Dude and you set out on a quest. During this quest you are going to explore everywhere and encounter monsters. As you explore you gather resources. When you battle the monsters then you acquire resources, skill, magic and artifacts. You have to decide which to wear, which to keep and which to sell. There is an interesting story line that accompanies this and is your reason for the quest.

Game Play
Basically it is click on the next block and either collect what is there, get a bit of story or battle a monster. In order to battle the monster you play a match 3 board. The different items on the match 3 will give you attack, healing, mana etc. They also charge your weapons that you can use. You take turns - you have 60 seconds to make a choice and the monster 30 seconds as far as I've played. They will give you a hint if you take too long.

Instructions
The game has good instructions and the first game you played was all indicated to you what to do. The only thing I'd add is when you explore something remember to click on TAKE because else you miss out on the resource.

Who is going to like this game?
If you enjoy adventure games, don't mind violence and enjoy a complex game I think you would love this game. There is a lot going on and you can play it at your own pace. There is limited resources so there are a lot of decision to be made on what you have to keep and what you can buy. On the plus side the achievements give you resources to use during the game - you just also need to go take / collect them. The game does alert you with a number next your dude when these achievements can be collected.

Technical
I did find that I quite often had to click 2x before my click was triggered. I have no idea why. Other than that I had no problems.

This review is based on about 45 minutes of the demo.

[Post New]by Silas_Nash on Jul 27, 15 6:00 AM
I was disappointed and underwhelmed with this RPG/Match-3. It is a port of a free-to play app on mobile devices. I encountered problems with the mouse not always registering when I clicked. And as usual with these mobile apps, there is no window option, or volume control for the sound or music.

If you enjoy these types of games I would recommend Big Fish's "The Adventures of Mary Ann: Lucky Pirates" or "Puzzle Quest 2". They both are much better examples of this hybrid genre. And they do not use firearms as a primary weapon.

Unfortunately, this game is another poorly designed mobile app port with free-to-play features which were never removed.

Edited on 07/27/2015 at 3:19:56 PM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jul 27, 15 6:48 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Gunspell here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Gunspell.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jul 27, 15 10:22 AM
too much written dialogue and too confusing for me!

moonryu
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by moonryu on Jul 28, 15 10:17 AM
I like this game, its a good stress reliever. Graphics are nice and crisp. I haven't had any issues with clicking or such. For the cost worth it.

Only issue is though you have the option to store more stuff it costs (in some cases quite a bit). So been making due with just being very careful about what I keep and what I sell.

vannojo
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

Terrific Game

[Post New]by vannojo on Jul 28, 15 3:57 PM
This is a great game! I just played for four straight hours, and I only quit to take my boys to soccor practice.

The instructions are only good to get you started. Be prepared to do a great deal of learning by doing. However, the more you work at it, the more that you get to appreciate the the depth of game play.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 28, 15 6:44 PM
I was happy to see this game offered at BF. It's very similar to "Puzzle Hero", which I love, but this game is far more sophisticated and has more things added to it.

This is a very unique M3 game: each tile set you match has a different effect. For example, matching 3 skulls lets you attack your opponent, whereas if you match 3 red stones, it will power-up your weapon that is in a red background, and clovers will heal you a bit. There are other tiles that do different things.

This type of M3 game has a lot of replay value for me. I have replayed "Puzzle Hero" many times, but this one goes 10 steps further, by adding lots of different things that "Puzzle Hero" doesn't have.

shepherdmoon
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by shepherdmoon on Jul 29, 15 5:01 PM
I really enjoy these types of games: match 3's with adventure/rpg elements where you battle an opponent and can gain experience and items/spells/perks to get stronger with time. This is one of the best I've ever played, because of the level of complexity: the gameplay is not hard, but there is so much going on, so much to explore, and new elements being added as you progress in the game. This makes the game larger and more interesting. And there is an actual storyline that progresses as you go, which makes it even more entertaining. The graphics are gorgeous. I usually prefer pure fantasy, but I am enjoying the sci-fi/fantasy elements of this one. I recommend it.

[Post New]by AnthonyD87 on Jul 31, 15 8:29 AM
Gunspell is fun for a little while, but it's a port from a free-to-play game. It should have had that mechanic reworked. a lot of the better items in the game require purchase with gold coins which are very hard to acquire. In the free-to-play game this is where you'd be paying real dollars for fake gold.

Loralia
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Loralia on Aug 12, 15 8:48 PM
I'm generally not much for Match-3 games but once I tried it, I bought it and then I fell into it and played for over two hours without a break. Was I ever suprised when I surfaced . I haven't gotten this lost in a game in a very long time.

I like it. I could wish for a few more instructions but so far I'm managing to figure it out, more or less anyway. I do consider it a great stress reliever as you get to shoot things and win. Yes, I admit it, I like to shoot things and win (only in games, thank you very much) although at the moment I have an ant walker that so far is my Waterloo but in the end I'll get it.

I haven't bothered to listen to the music (most of the time I find it distracting) or sound effects, but the graphics are decent, the colors fine and so far I haven't had any real problems. I did notice in the meditation room that I had to double click much of the time so didn't get near as much strength back.

There are a few things about it that remind me of Evy: Magic Spheres but it is much more complex. Maybe a bit too wordy but on the whole, I'm having a good time. I'm enjoying the distraction!

moonryu
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by moonryu on Aug 13, 15 9:51 AM
I like this game. It has a decent story line, and challenging especially at the higher levels -- as the monsters really require strategy to fight.

My only negative comment is a max level of 15 -- there is a comment / note that say look for more next episode. Good but when is that going to happen? just curious. And what happens to all the XP earned over max now?

And a nice to have in the workshop would be the ability to create our own items, or add abilities to existing ones.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 28, 15 11:34 PM
moonryu wrote:I like this game. It has a decent story line, and challenging especially at the higher levels -- as the monsters really require strategy to fight.

My only negative comment is a max level of 15 -- there is a comment / note that say look for more next episode. Good but when is that going to happen? just curious. And what happens to all the XP earned over max now?

And a nice to have in the workshop would be the ability to create our own items, or add abilities to existing ones.

When you start the game, it says: BigFish Edition. So I am assuming, this is all you get. Anthony mentioned earlier that this game was - or still is somewhere out there - a F2P game. So it seems that it has been changed to a game you can buy, which is now the "BigFish Edition". So I wouldn't wait for anything else to come along. The "next episode" is most likely part of the F2P game.

Go to: