Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

I humbly PLEAD for "Timer Optional" version.

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 2, 08 12:43 AM
Alright, I know I am a broken record, but after having begged for, and gotten, a "Timer Optional" mode for Azada 2 in *very* short order I am hoping the same can be done for Azada 1. I re-downloaded Azada after thoroughly enjoying Azada: Ancient Magic, and quickly remembered why I LOVED and *hated* it's predecessor soooo much. A truly wonderful game, but the timer... oy.

I find Azada much more challenging than the sequel. There are more puzzles and tougher ones too. I *hate* to skip puzzles but find I must to continue or run out of time and re-start the stack. Also the mis-click penalty is very unforgiving. I find many times I am docked just putting items into inventory because the boundry of one item will overlap another and the game thinks I'm trying to combine.

"Timer Optional" must be a relatively simple thing to code considering how fast it was added to Azada: Ancient Magic and the structure of the two games is very similar. For all the same reasons I argued for Timer Optional for Ancient Magic, please consiser doing the same for Azada, which is probably having a whole lot of renewed interest since the release of the sequel. It would be a wonderful thing that would make many people, very much me included, very happy.

Thanks!

Edited on 09/02/2008 at 12:45:14 AM PST

Re:I humbly PLEAD for "Timer Optional" version.

[Post New]by holycowharry on Sep 2, 08 10:55 AM
I agree...playing games should be fun, relaxing and an escape from the daily routine.

The challenge is within the game itself...the timer creates unnecessary stress!

[Post New]by beadzoo on Sep 2, 08 12:26 PM
I agree too!! I would also like to keep the orbs I used if I had to restart the level, instead of losing them too!!

[Post New]by holycowharry on Sep 2, 08 12:27 PM
One additional thought:

Since games are played by a wide spectrum of ages and intellects; it only makes sense to include a relaxed mode along with the timed mode.

If the game experience is affected by the timer then I’m not interested.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 2, 08 7:45 PM
holycowharry wrote:One additional thought:

Since games are played by a wide spectrum of ages and intellects; it only makes sense to include a relaxed mode along with the timed mode.

If the game experience is affected by the timer then I’m not interested.

Exactly! And the thing is I don't understand *why* timers aren't always optional since that makes them appeal to everyone: those who wish for that additional level of challenge can have them on and those of us who do not seek an adrenaline rush from our game experience can turn them off. Not to mention people struggling with puzzles would be more encouraged to keep puzzling without the timer looming when repeated failures would make them quit, potentially when still on demo, and there goes a sale!

I think this goes back to the shift that needs to occur in developers minds that there is a whole *bunch* of folks who are not interested in a buzz from gaming, that seek a calm, relaxed, brain stimulating experience free from pressure. I think that shift is occuring and for the most part this site is proof of that. "Casual Gamers", often older folk, also tend to have more disposable income... So a little catering to this group (waves) might not be a bad business decision, no?

Edited on 09/02/2008 at 7:47:48 PM PST

[Post New]by specialcritters on Sep 3, 08 5:07 AM
I couldn't agree more. For those reasons, I found Azada so annoying that I dumped it once & for all; it was too punitive to be fun.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 3, 08 5:16 PM
specialcritters wrote:too punitive to be fun.
Oooooh! Good phrase! Give that fishy a... hmmm... was gonna say cookie but do fishies like cookies? But excellent and succinct description of how timers in general feel to me.

[Post New]by W14f2z16nM14 on Sep 9, 08 10:27 AM
Hi another country heard from. I worked for almost 50 years being watch by a clock, now that i am retired i don't want to have to keep up with a timer. I noticed that many of the new games come out with a relaxed mode. I also ask for a "Time Optional Version" of AZADA.

Thanks in advance W14f2z16nM14

Grannynoo
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by Grannynoo on Sep 9, 08 10:47 AM
I agree with all the above posts. Want to play games to relax. Don't need the buzz of trying to beat the clock. These OB eyes and fingers are not what they once were. LOL

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 9, 08 11:03 AM
I vote that all games should come with both Timed and Untimed options: Here are some of my reasons.

A large segment of the gaming population is of the "older" age brackets:
...(1) Most of these folks worked for 30-40 years and don't want the
......... pressure of a timed mode.
...(2)..Many have disabilities of some nature ... some more severe than
........ others. A relaxed mode is helpful because you don't have to
......... start an entire segment over if you are struggling with one puzzle.
...(3)..Some people have had strokes and find game playing a way to
.........restimulate the brain ... relaxed mode allows them time to try things
.........and think about what next.
...(4)..Many have physical issues: arthritis in joints for example
...(5)..Relaxed mode is more fun to play; have time to really look at
..........screens,read posters on wall, look for the quirky things the
..........BFG developers are so good at putting in the screens.

Edited on 09/09/2008 at 11:06:03 AM PST

[Post New]by sassygrannygoose on Sep 12, 08 9:11 PM
I'm with all of you on this one. I hate timed games. I enjoy untimed games because you can just sit, relax and enjoy. I would never have bought Azada if I would have known it was a timed game

silvermist
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by silvermist on Sep 14, 08 5:24 PM
Me too me too me too!!! For all those reason listed....BFG developers pleeeeeease make all the HO games witth timer optional settings.....YOu guys are so awesome, I think if you read all the posts from all us older people with more time and money to spend on these leisure games, you'll agree we need to be able to relax and play at our own rate!!!!!

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 14, 08 5:48 PM
Silvermist, The Big Fish does listen ... and he does read posts in the forum. Both Azada 2 and Mystery Chronicles were released with timers ... and they came out with "relaxed" mode after the initial release.
...We just keep Fins crossed that they'll start creating them with both timed and relaxed modes from the get go!!

picman050967
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,226 Posts

[Post New]by picman050967 on Sep 14, 08 6:12 PM
We do request this now from other developers, but at the end of the day the games are theirs not ours so they do not have to listen. We work with over 500 developers and some get it and some do not.

Picman

Metamorph
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Metamorph on Sep 14, 08 6:20 PM
Where did you get a timer optional version? I wish ALL games were timer optional. I like to enjoy figuring out the puzzles instead of having to skip them due to time running out. If I want pressure, I will get out the old Nintendo machines.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 14, 08 6:22 PM
Hi picman ... we sure appreciate it that BFG is passing the word back to the other developers ... The OBs need all the help we can get LOL

[Post New]by jaygee0729 on Sep 14, 08 11:26 PM
Let me add that making a timer optional is a big factor in determining my enjoyment and therefore impacts my decision in purchasing a game. A timer adds a challenge and a frustration level to the game. Many casual gamers like myself like to play a game to relax. The puzzles in Azada are challenging enough for me without a timer. Learning that the sequel had made the timer an option, eliminating the frustration of "losing" and having to redo puzzles already solved, was a major deciding factor in acquiring it. (Also the fact that a guide is available for it was very important for me - once I have given a puzzle my all it is important to me when there is somewhere to obtain help and assistance to move on.) Keep up the good work, and kudos to Big Fish for passing on information from your customers to the developers.

popcorn_20000
Marlin
Marlin
8,219 Posts

[Post New]by popcorn_20000 on Sep 19, 08 10:14 PM
i too competely agree... i played azada 2 before then downloading azada.. i find the time restraints very frustrating, especially since you then have to repeat ALL that levels puzzles again if you happen to run outa time... Would enjoy having the timer either longer or optional!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 19, 08 10:54 PM
picman050967 wrote:We do request this now from other developers, but at the end of the day the games are theirs not ours so they do not have to listen. We work with over 500 developers and some get it and some do not.

Picman
*nods* I appreciate the reply and I do get it. I am very much encouraged that at least Big Fish gets this and obviously, given you are a MAJOR player in casual game distributors, I would imagine your requests carry some weight. Clearly, given the market for casual games, at least of the type where time is not a major mechanic of game play, the developers that wish to be successful will realize that a bit more coding to add relaxed mode (that phrase alone is telling, no? ) will result directly in more sales.

We need to keep requesting, all us "Relaxed Mode" folk, and request such directly to developers as well. Granted Azada was a Big Fish developed thing (BF Europe, yeah?) and so the decision to change it was more direct, but Rooms and Mystery Chronicles I believe were other developement companies, and they added Relaxed after release, so we are being heard. Just need to keep up the good fight and get these clever developer folks to see reason.

alexjoe
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by alexjoe on Sep 19, 08 11:16 PM
I purchased the game when it first came out and have still not managed to complete it in fact I got so fed up I 'binned' it. It has now been reinstalled and I have got two cheats to help me and am still struggling, the games are great but I just do not have the necessary time to finish them and at 70 years old I really may not have the time so please Big Fish put a timer option in.

Go to: