bronte311
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bronte311 on Dec 5, 11 7:19 PM
Just finished it and really enjoyed it, much more than Dire Grove or 13th Skull. I do agree that the journal should have been more thorough--really, as a master detective I stop to record my feelings all the time but can't be bothered to write down the codes and numbers I find?

The game is really dark, and I hope Big Fish will not continue to push the envelope by making future games even darker. This is about as far I want to go down that road with you guys! The scenes in his childhood home were the worst for me, and I had to turn down the sound rather than listen to children screaming and being hit while I tried to solve puzzles. That being said, the creepy atmosphere was totally engrossing and I can't remember having such a strong emotional reaction to a game in a long time.

What I really loved about previous Mystery Case Files games were the combination of really fun and challenging puzzles (I can't get enough of the door puzzles!), the engaging plots, and the snarky tone. While not perfect, this game was definitely a step back in the right direction for me and definitely worth the money. Thanks for consistently putting out such high quality games!

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by iiihtimsjc on Dec 5, 11 10:05 PM
I thought overall that the game was fun and challenging at times but enjoyed some of the previous MCF games a little more (MF, RTR, DG, & 13). Those games had hidden content, mini-games, and side adventures included in the gameplay that were really fun, challenging, innovative, and not so obvious (plunge the sink, use metal detector, hidden rooms, morphing objects, etc) to learn clues about the storylines and future games. I really liked the creepiness and dark side of this game but have to say that the ending was disappointing and too easy. Maybe my expectations were a little high considering the previous MCF games were so good and this was the Ravenhearst that everyone was waiting for, but after finishing it I just did'nt feel this game stood out from all the rest of the games out there like I did with previous MCF games.

SPOILER ALERT

Unless there is something else besides the morphing objects within the journal that lead to 2 hidden object scenes, I completed everything within the game after one try and do not feel the need or want to play it again. Previous MCF games had me wanting to play the games multiple times to find everything and search for the smallest of clues.

[Post New]by STEPPINHIGH on Dec 5, 11 10:28 PM
I feel like I waited a lifetime to finally play this game. I was really excited to finally play. I truly anticipated a quick buy and I am still contemplating if I will buy it or not buy because it has has MOs instead of HOGs!!!!!!! My question to the developers is...... Why mess with a [b]GOOD TRIED AND BOUGHT GAME WITH HOGS AND REPLACE IT WITH MOS ?

[Post New]by simtagous77 on Dec 6, 11 6:47 PM
nope
Im bummed. beautiful gameplay, nice sound, good story. HATE the morphing objects. I like the old fashioned hidden object searches. Like minnow below said, its as boring as watching paint dry. get rid of the morphing, add more mini games, and also where the heck is the bonus gameplay thats usually in collectors editions. im just a little disappointed after waiting this long for the next MCF
Why change something that everyone loved?

Idea for next game~ if you do morphing, keep it to a bare minimum.

Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by darissa on Dec 6, 11 7:50 PM
bfgRhone wrote:Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the
Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition
page <a href="http://bigfi.sh/tHVT0W">here</a>.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/185833.page>this</a> forum post and our help article <a href="http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1872">Big Fish Game Reviews</a> for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/187729.page>here</a>.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

[Post New]by darissa on Dec 6, 11 7:58 PM
I agree TOTALLY with the morphing reviews! I'm not only disappointed but as one of many that are addicted to this series....I am kind of angry! How can you get us hooked on this game and then CHANGE THE WHOLE METHOD in the end of the series.....We are HIDDEN OBJECT addicts....NOT watching a scene waiting for some subtle object to move.....we are action, adventure players! I honestly hope that you get enough bad reviews that you go back to the REAL HIDDEN OBJECT game...I LOVE BIG FISH, but "IF IT AIN'T BROKE" don't fix it.....This is the ONLY one I WILL NOT BE BUYING! .

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Dec 6, 11 8:25 PM
I love the game, and I know you warned us, but sometimes I just have to turn the sound off, because I cannot stand to hear the kids screaming when in the spanking area. Sounds more like beating and I have never been into doing that to a kid. It makes it hard to concentrate on the mini games. But it is a great game, thanks. Graphics are great. And I find myself hating the bad guy. I do not mind watching the scene to catch a morph. It is different and not something we have had a lot of.

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Dec 6, 11 8:49 PM
I think this will be different from most of the other reviews. I'm presently in Act 4.

Firstly, I love the Mystery Case File games. Among my absolute favorites of all time. Second, this game is extremely well done. Lots of money went in to developing it. Technologically way ahead of most of the games of this genre.

I have no problem with the morphing items. In fact I rather like them. A nice break from finding yet another horseshoe, matchstick, pipe, bow, compass etc.

All that said, I'm struggling to play the game. One issue is that I wish puzzles contained directions. Second, I wish rooms had names.

But that's not the issue. It's the story! It is the most gloomy, macabre game I've ever played. I don't mind witches, spiders, blood, death in the games we play. But this game is almost too well done.

SPOILER ALERT

There are scenes in the hospital and the asylum that just go beyond what I'm looking for in a game. Not pleasant.. I find it makes the game rather dreary and not as much fun to play.

Any others experiencing a similar reaction?

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Dec 6, 11 9:25 PM
All right, I've changed my mind. This one really is brilliant, a genre-changer just as RTR was if not for quite the same reasons.

Pros: beautiful graphics, of course, and the usual outstanding music by Clean Cuts. Great atmosphere in most places. Unlike some others I LOVED the morphing objects and thought them a nice change from H0G scenes that have become done to death.

Extra-pros. The villain is exquisite. Dennis Kleinsmith, you made the game. The humor was black and relieved most of the scenes from grim depression. The repartee from the fellows on the dock cracked me up. I shall not forgive the developers for breaking the Madame Fate bobblehead in the MCF-mobile, however. How could you?

Cons: Good heavens, the maternity ward was horrible! That one wasn't saved by humor, it was simply disturbing. A couple of the puzzles were a bit of a reach - the use of the dynamite, for example. And the purely-visual SG was a good try but not much help and a source of angry frustration to the truly lost, and I was at a couple of places.

Overall rating: not quite up to the incredible RTR but on a par with the excellent Dire Grove and Madame Fate. Light years better than the wretched 13th Skull.

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Dec 7, 11 12:04 AM
I absolutely loved this game! I've been playing HOG games for years and like most fishes out here, I too have loved MCF such as RTR and DG. I loved 13 skulls because the CE was well worth the money as is this game. To me, the morphing objects are still hidden objects that you have to find...and some people have actually posted that it's ALL morphong objects scenes but it's not true because there was one scene in a magazine that reminded me of the kids' Highlights magazine that have hidden objects to find from a list of words.... when i was a kid and visited the doctor's office i'd grab a pencil and circle all the hidden objects...(if they weren't already circled by some other kid).....saying that to say this.....those of you who posted that it's all morphing objects are wrong about that....this game is different and new on so many levels....it's quality far exceeds most of the others CE's out there. My hats off to the developers and thanks to Big Fish for bringing us the very best games on the internet.

I loved that there is absolutely no hand holding...i am one who doesn't like any help at all and will only use the strategy guide if i've been stuck for hours....and i almost NEVER used a hint to find objects unless it's my second time playing the same game.....so far i'm up to the part where i found the stork key and haven't used the strategy guide or the hint button yet......Usually if i get stuck it means i've been playing to long and when i return to the game with a fresh mind...i usually find my way again....once again, saying that to say....this game is very challenging for those that like expert mode and no hand holding.

Thanks Fishes...Loved to read all your reviews

[Post New]by Chickydoodle on Dec 7, 11 4:28 AM
I was so happy when I saw there was a third Ravenhearst and I went ahead and purchased the collector's edition before even doing a trial.

Wow.

I don't know how many hours and days I've played it and I have no idea how far into the game I am. Halfway? Three quarters?? No idea. It is QUITE a journey!

The graphics and sound are great and I enjoy the actors a lot. It is a VERY disturbing game...even a little upsetting at times. But I do like the psychological viewpoint.

One thing...and maybe I'm just dumb, but this is HARD. There are no real clues. You just need to figure it out. I've had to use the stragegy hints quite a bit because I've just had NO clue several times throughout the game so far.

I might come back and review it after I'm done, but if what I've written appeals to you, get it!

Edited on 12/07/2011 at 4:29:28 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 7, 11 6:09 AM
padres wrote:I think this will be different from most of the other reviews. I'm presently in Act 4.

Firstly, I love the Mystery Case File games. Among my absolute favorites of all time. Second, this game is extremely well done. Lots of money went in to developing it. Technologically way ahead of most of the games of this genre.

I have no problem with the morphing items. In fact I rather like them. A nice break from finding yet another horseshoe, matchstick, pipe, bow, compass etc.

All that said, I'm struggling to play the game. One issue is that I wish puzzles contained directions. Second, I wish rooms had names.

But that's not the issue. It's the story! It is the most gloomy, macabre game I've ever played. I don't mind witches, spiders, blood, death in the games we play. But this game is almost too well done.

SPOILER ALERT

There are scenes in the hospital and the asylum that just go beyond what I'm looking for in a game. Not pleasant.. I find it makes the game rather dreary and not as much fun to play.

Any others experiencing a similar reaction?

Totally agree. I'm not sure I will be able to bear replaying this one and I've replayed all the others a few times. I too loved the morphing objects - gave me a chance to enjoy the visual delights of a scene, but at the end of the day this game was simply not a lot of fun to play.

Indigo_Frost
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Indigo_Frost on Dec 7, 11 10:42 AM
lmpeters wrote:Did anyone have trouble downloading this game.

I have a windows 7 home edition and I have never had any trouble downloading and activating games. I believe I did Heroes of Helias 3 just a month ago, But I am having a hard time activating this game. I have tried twice to download and activate but everytime I get to the activating stage, it crashes. Help please

Yeah, I did, it took me 5 attempts to download the game, as I kept getting different error messages. It finally DID download, but I didn't like the game, so I never sent a Tech Report in, and deleted it from my pc.

Indigo_Frost
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Indigo_Frost on Dec 7, 11 11:07 AM
henjen4 wrote:

1. The morphing objects are cool, and I really enjoyed them in Dire Grove, especially the way that they were woven into the game along with the **** scenes. Here, however, there are no straight **** scenes.....Previous games were kept interesting by the fact that the objects-to-find-lists changed each time you played the game. So this was a major bummer to me.

2. I really miss the achievements: knowing how long it took me to finish the game, how many skips/hints I used (or didn't), etc. I really liked this feature and I thought 13th Skull was really kept interesting the second or third time through by my desire to get all the achievements.

5. Finally, I really missed the snarky commentary. I was sooooo bummed that I couldn't change the tone. That one element alone really made Dire Grove and 13th Skull a lot of fun and rather special.

Yep, I have to agree with the above assessments. I really did not like MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst at ALL. I am normally a big fan of "dark and eerie" style games and the MCF have been my favorites in this genre, particularly Dire Grove (my all time fave game, so far) and also 13 Skulls, but this game was just too "over the top" on the sick, disturbed and twisted (and gross) mindset aspects. Sorry Big Fish, big FAIL in my book!

Edited on 12/07/2011 at 11:19:59 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 7, 11 1:30 PM
I am so divided over this game it's annoying!

cons -

-That stupid none helpful non informative SG - what was that all about? If I need the SG I want tips on the objective of a puzzle and to have to go out of the game to look at the free walkthrough - What's the point of the CE?

-The sounds of a child screaming at being whipped, not the sound of hand smacking (that wouldn't be OK either!) was pure sick. ( I didn't have a problem with most of the 'dark' theme - I thought it was excellently done. I didn't think the game was scary etc and I thought the zit popping was fun and the pregnant dummies were so unrealistic I didn't mind that), but I just don't get that. That was the worse - no excuse, kept repeating it.

- I had to skip the fuse puzzle - I never skip puzzles. I'm a LF player, so used to long hard puzzles. When I concentrated on just one number it changed when I moved to the next number. I have played these type games before. Just so annoying.

-Non recording of numbers in the journal that I needed for puzzles, was bad and to confuse matters more, gave me 'false' numbers.

- pixel hunting for 1-2 morphs in every scene

- non contained playable areas, so the backtracking for those door tokens was tedious so ruined a good idea

- I had a glitch with one of the body in the morgue, I couldn't read the toe tag, so an hour looking for a non existent item to make it visible was so bad. (exiting the game cured it, but didn't know it was a glitch!)

- Could have had more puzzles, there weren't that many

- To sort of not have it 100% tied up is past tedious, as I thought the whole point of this game was to finish the whole story up.

Pros

- an actually hard HOPA!
- challenging puzzles
-non junk pile H O scenes (jumping up and down)
- non repeating h O scenes
- love the morph scenes, something different and challenging
-a long game
-some humour ie with the bodies in the morgue, this could have been expanded, especially in this type of game

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 2:23:23 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 7, 11 1:47 PM
continued

If the sick parts were taken out,(child screaming being whacked) the SG actually gave hints as to what the objective of a puzzle was and it was a walkthrough, the fuse puzzle was fixed, I would have thought it was an excellent game.

But because the cons were so infuriating, I don't. The flaws are so bad it really let the game down which is such a shame. I was so mad at the cons it has taken me till today to have the patience to actually play and finish it. And I couldn't say this game was fun, even in the parts I enjoyed. (well it's a dark game, so don't think of it as fun!)

It's a no brainer recommendation from me - skip the CE and get the SE.
The door tokens was a nice extra but apart from one other short puzzle that was the bonus!
The morphs in the journal, I did do them. I was put of in the beginning as I couldn't understand why the morphs were split up. I thought one tab was for photos and one for words (what I thought a mod said but must have been my mistake). So I spent ages staring at the words, and of course I think there were only 2 words that were morphs.

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 2:25:53 PM PST

Edith9
Minnow
Minnow
283 Posts

[Post New]by Edith9 on Dec 7, 11 1:49 PM
What to write after 25 pages full of reviews? Just my very personal and quite short opinion. I really like MCF 8. I think morphing objects scenes are great addition and very entertaining. I don´t mind dark atmosphere od the game, I´m goint to replay it to "feel" it again. Difficulty was OK for me (I hat to se SG twice - not for complete solution of puzzle, just to show way to go). IMO great game.

[Post New]by willie11 on Dec 7, 11 4:22 PM
Hi fishies -

I come on here to read the reviews of every game before I make a purchase (or even download a trial) and I really want to thank all of you regulars for your fantastic reviews and comments. I, myself have only made a handful of comments during my almost 3+ year membership. I absolutely loved RTR and DG. 13th Skull was a bit of a let down, but I still liked it. I did like this game, but I downloaded it on the day after its' release and just now finished it today on 12/7. For some reason, I had a hard time getting into it and never really felt totally immersed in the story as I did in RTR and DG (my two all-time faves). Here are some of my thoughts on EFR:

I really love dark, twisted, rainy, creepy games. When people complain about them I always chuckle because they are never dark and twisted enough for me. I love scary stuff, but there is nothing that really scares me very often. I did not find this game creepy, scary or any other adjectives others have been throwing around. [u]SPOILER ALERT!!! I did think it was an interesting idea to explore why Charles turned out the way he did, but the pregnant mannequins were just a bit ridiculous and the pimple-popping was just gross!

Morphing objects - I actually like this change of pace because I am pretty burned out on the standard hidden object/ junkpile scenario. I get bored with things pretty easily, but I think I would have preferred a mix of the two. I liked in DG how the morphing objects were part of the bonus content.

CE - I did not feel I got my money's worth for the collectors edition. I know there are symbols to let you know what isn't in the standard game, but I Iike to have something to look forward to at the end. I didn't like the bonus content included in the journals. I am assuming the two bonus hidden object scenes are rough sketches of a future MCF game, but they were a real let down.

As others have stated, I can't see ever wanting to replay this game again.

All in all, I am glad I played it, but if I had it to do again, I wouldn't waste the extra game credit on the CE and would have just waited for the standard release.

With all that I said above, I want to say how much I love Big Fish Games and it's patrons and wouldn't know what to do without it. I didn't even like playing PC games until a few years ago when I was at a friend's house and she had MCF Huntsville. I was absolutely hooked! Happy gaming!

Edited on 12/07/2011 at 4:30:03 PM PST

shelbel255
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by shelbel255 on Dec 7, 11 11:06 PM
HOLY COW!!! This was one of the best games EVER!!! I am so glad I bought the CE. I normally wait until the regular game pops out, but the warning label on this game kept calling to me. LOL My mom and I are horror junkies and we absolutely LOVE this game. Yes it is a bit disturbing at times, but it is awesome! I'm about ready to play it for a second time.

The only thing I would have liked to see is when you come across a number or sequence that you have to remember for another area that it would go into the book. There were countless times I forgot the numbers and had to leave that area and go back to find the numbers again.

GOOD JOB BIG FISH!!! (cant wait for the next one )

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Dec 8, 11 4:40 PM
omg...i still haven't used the stategy guide yet....it's tough but i'm doing it...it's taking a long time this way but that's the way i like to play...eventually i'll figure it out...pretty much if there's a magnifying glass still there it means there's still something to do or see...anyways thanks fishies and happy gaming

Go to: