justnorma
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by justnorma on Aug 1, 09 4:48 PM
I *loved* Gemsweeper and really appreciate you guys pointing me that direction. Gemsweeper is *total* logic, hair-pulling at times, yes. But always logic.

With WM, I'm having a hard time finding a logical answer in discovering where the tiles are. And the hints are usually worthless.

Is it possible to work every puzzle without having to guess?

TIA!

 

Re:Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by crimson_heart on Sep 13, 09 10:26 AM
I'm wondering this too. I love this game and have already played it through twice. Most of the puzzles I can figure out on my own but a few have stumped me. Is it possible to solve all puzzles w/o relying on hints?

 
lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

Re:Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Sep 13, 09 10:46 AM
I don't have the patience usually to figure out how to solve the hardest puzzles without using hints. When I used to do these on paper, sometimes I would go so far as to make a copy of it and then see "well if I assume that THIS square is black, then.....". If there's a reasonably large number on an edge with only tiny numbers in the next row/col over, that often helps me figure out spots that can't hold a tile. For example, if there top row's rightmost number is a 4 and the second row has nothing but 1s in it, then I can eliminate spots starting at the right that would require adjacent tiles in the second row.

 
elkric
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

Re:Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by elkric on Apr 7, 10 4:06 PM
Most of level 6 and the last couple of mosaics in the last level I had to guess and use the hints, level 6 was mostly very symetric so it was pretty easy to guess that the long rows were centered, but I would have prefered to finish without guessing. The tutorial claimed that every board could be done without guessíng but I don't see how, some of them were just too sparsely populated, leaving too many options.

 
GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 6, 10 10:24 PM
I'm nowhere near all the way through, but I believe the developers that you don't ever need to guess.

In case it helps anyone, I've posted in the Tips and Tricks thread of this forum.

However, I too admit to using the hint--sometimes to get started, sometimes when I don't see any obvious move and don't really want to work off-puzzle to determine that some particular square being (un)marked is impossible!

Also, sometimes making a mistake and having it corrected helps out of all proportion. So far, every puzzle allows you to do that 6 times!

I may nevertheless be doing off-puzzle charts at the higher levels, after all.

What size puzzles are the highest levels, anyway?

Edited on 09/06/2010 at 10:31:57 PM PST


 
shasta24
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
472 Posts

Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by shasta24 on Sep 7, 10 7:14 AM
justnorma wrote:I *loved* Gemsweeper and really appreciate you guys pointing me that direction. Gemsweeper is *total* logic, hair-pulling at times, yes. But always logic.

With WM, I'm having a hard time finding a logical answer in discovering where the tiles are. And the hints are usually worthless.

Is it possible to work every puzzle without having to guess?

TIA!


I'm thinking the same thing...because I'm analytical and do search for all the options before making a selection. There are more interesting games out there, where it's all true...if you have the ability. Let's let the devlopers answer this one.

 
GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 16, 10 8:17 AM
I wrote:I too admit to using the hint--sometimes to get started, sometimes when I don't see any obvious move and don't really want to work off-puzzle to determine that some particular square being (un)marked is impossible!
I've now been solving 20x20 additionals without using hints, just slogging along with logic. It sometimes takes reasoning like this:
At minimum, the stretch of 5 has to be somewhere here in these 9 squares. It may also include the 2, but that doesn't matter. So mark the middle one.
Coming the other way, that marked square has to be one of the 1s. So a hole either side of it.
Okay, nothing immediately obvious running into that. What else can I figure.
And so on.
And I wrote:What size puzzles are the highest levels, anyway?
Up to 20x20. Hoping that's the limit, but don't know.

 
GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Oct 7, 10 8:02 AM
I am well into WM2, and I have never ever needed to guess. A very few times, I decided I needed a Hint to keep going. Exactly once I used 2 Hints.

BtW, the maximum is indeed 20x20.

 
shasta24
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
472 Posts

Re:Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by shasta24 on Oct 20, 10 4:01 PM
Be proud! There are fish from all of our world's oceans who can glance at a new board of numbers and almost instanteoulsy know what they'll do, having analyzed multiple options...much like superior chess players. All of our accolades to you who can do this! Most of us can do this too, occasionally. More often, we have to count (vertically & horizontally) before making a move. It's a great game to keep our minds working.

 
Gojira2006
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,183 Posts

Re:Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by Gojira2006 on Dec 26, 11 12:49 PM
I try to play games like this like I do Sudoku . . . If the lay-out has been done correctly, we shouldn't have to guess when we fill in the squares . . .

 

Re:Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by gilmourfan56 on Aug 22, 13 2:32 AM
yes. its like life,.we guess all the time. have faith baby. Jesus loves you!!!

 

Re:Are there times when you have to guess?

[Post New]by gilmourfan56 on Aug 22, 13 2:40 AM
lordkalvan wrote:I don't have the patience usually to figure out how to solve the hardest puzzles without using hints. When I used to do these on paper, sometimes I would go so far as to make a copy of it and then see "well if I assume that THIS square is black, then.....". If there's a reasonably large number on an edge with only tiny numbers in the next row/col over, that often helps me figure out spots that can't hold a tile. For example, if there top row's rightmost number is a 4 and the second row has nothing but 1s in it, then I can eliminate spots starting at the right that would require adjacent tiles in the second row.

 
 
 
 
Go to: