bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Create A Mall comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 2, 09 1:04 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Create-a-Mall. We're sure you have comments you would like to share with the community. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Create-a-Mall is a builder Strategy game with a little something for anyone’s skill level. If you are a veteran of this style of game you will be met by challenges trying to get the expert rating for each level, but if you are new to the genre you can easily complete each level as the timer only applies to the rating. Build and upgrade a variety of stores from clothing and perfume to a movie theater or video arcade, and demolish others to make room for the new. Players can also add improvements to the mall itself, such as elevators or an info booth. Not a bad game for anyone into building strategy games!

Game Modes:
Timed for expert rating, but you can ignore the timer if you like.

Depth:
Create-a-Mall is average in length for a Strategy game.

Similar to:
This game a lot like the Build-A-Lot series as well as Aquapolis.

Difficulty level:
Create-a-Mall is a great game for newcomers to the Strategy genre. Overall, it's fairly easy.

Reviewed by R.R.

Edited on 08/02/2009 at 1:04:48 AM PST

Re:Create A Mall comments and reviews

[Post New]by LawMama on Aug 2, 09 5:18 AM
Great game, and being able to replay a level is a plus. Love the option to make store credits to actually shop in the mall you build. You can be a shopaholic without the guilt or the debt.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 2, 09 6:36 AM
I was beginning to think all "Build a lot" games are exactly the same thing - well they are really ... however I found this game to be fun and enjoyed placing shops in the malls.
Must be the shopper in me!
Nice game.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Aug 2, 09 8:45 AM
I purchased this game sometime ago and I enjoyed playing it. It is another game based on the try-and-true model of Build-a-lot. The basic premise being to build a modern day shopping mall.

Pros. The game is very easy to learn. It is pretty straightforward: Build structures, earn money, and keep the popularity in the plus zone.

Con.
There is a lot of "waiting time" when building structures. Given that this is a time management game, this is not a good thing. Thus, making it difficult to win levels. You have to multitask a lot to reach goals and this is not always easy since you have to spend more time then necessary waitng for structures to be build or supplies to be build up after purchasing. This is somewhat short game, only 30 levels.

Bottomeline. With the cons mentioned above, I still enjoyed this game and would recommend it to folks who enjoy the Build-a-lot and Be Rich games. I give it a for games in this category and 3 stars out of 5.

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Aug 2, 09 11:08 AM
thanks for the reviews folks

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Aug 2, 09 12:01 PM
It's a cute game and I loved the shopping for items to customize your character. I didn't like the long building times though because it really ties your hands while you sit there watching the clock. The good thing is the timer doesn't really matter unless you want the awards.

[Post New]by mspaco1 on Aug 2, 09 12:36 PM
Just finished the demo and thought it was a refreshing take on most TM games. I liked being able to shop for clothes, guess its the girl in me!! The only problems I had is that there are not enough levels and it does take too much time waiting on loading the different resources. All in all an ok game but will wait to purchase.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 3, 09 11:49 AM
The game is very easy, but I like the shopping-theme. I won`t purchased it, because I will wait for the new Build a lot 4. I give it 3

[Post New]by Mikka_Amber on Aug 3, 09 11:57 AM
I liked the game... found the time frame for building tolerable. The only thing that I didn't like (obviously) was at the level that I had to build the elevator the game froze up and I had to do a CTRL+ALT+DEL to end the game. GRRRRR!!! Oh well. Has anyone else been having problems with BF games lately?

phoebe222
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by phoebe222 on Aug 3, 09 1:09 PM
I have finished it in 4-5 hours with some breaks. It's short and easy but fun to play. I didn't regret buying it. I wish there was a giant mall where I can play in a sandbox mode. There could be some added challenge such as occasional hazards to take care of :electricity cuts, thieves etc. I experienced major problems before starting it, and some bugs during game play. In one level although I didn't finish in gold time, I got the trophy. In two other levels, all of a sudden I had around 5million materials. I think this is a bug unless there was a bonus of some sort but I don't think so.

[Post New]by Game_Fearie666 on Aug 26, 09 9:17 AM
All in all, I liked the game. I'd give it a 4.
The things I liked/didn't like about it:
It's time management, but it's still relaxed, as you don't have to make the goals to advance, but you can replay the level to get the goals.
Malls, must be because I'm a girl, but that theme drew me in.
I liked that there were different stores and the facades of the store changed. It wasn't the exact copy of the last shoe store you put in. It only started copying if you put too many of those stores in.
The little store you could buy Kelly clothing and accessories in. That was a fun little bit, but I 'd like that a bit better if there was more variety in the things you could buy and maybe more to buy. Like two stereos to choose from or two diaries to choose from and other things. It would be awesome if you could have had a room or two that you could buy things for and kind of decorate it. Her office was nice, but it could have had more. And while the point values are low, you only get one point a level, unless you get the goal and then you get two. That would have to change, I'm thinking, if you add more to it.
The waiting times on materials/workers/plans/building seemed kind of long. Seeing as you're trying to get those goals, especially the ones where you need to have x amount of money saved up, it's hard to make that money when you're waiting for things and you have to keep buying workers and materials and then building. I hardly ever hit those goals after the first two fulls 'chapters'.
Lastly, popularity, in the last two where you needed over 100 popularity was kind of hard to get. The one where you needed 115 was extremely hard to get. I think there could have been more to add to the mall to help popularity go up. As far as I know, there is only one way (formula) to get the popularity up to 115. Now, maybe there are more, but I couldn't figure them out. There should be more ways, if there aren't already and they're just not obvious, to get the popularity up to 115.

[Post New]by kolivarez on Sep 12, 09 7:38 AM
Love the game. It's entertaining and not too easy but not hard at all.

[Post New]by Deb102061 on Sep 17, 09 2:07 PM
loads very slowly and cannot get cursor to move. I have tried this game on both laptop and desktop. When I first tried to load a week ago my anti virus would keep blocking it saying it had a trojan. I deleted and reloaded...again same problem. I did this 3 times. Then this week I downloaded it and now it runs soooo slow that its unplayable. Maybe if I wait another week or a year or so it will finally work? oh and my computers are both less then 2 yrs old. One is Vista and the other XP. Both are designed for gaming.

So why is this game so difficult to load and play???

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Oct 5, 09 2:42 PM
Game_Fearie666: There IS more than one way to achieve every one of the Popularity goals, without even pushing everything on the board all the way to 3 stars. And if you build in the most effective order, you can also get the cash and income level goals in the medal time available.

See my Maximizing Popularity and Maximizing Income posts in this forum.

Comment and Review. I am not a girl, or even a boi, and have minimal interest in dressing a 20-something female. But none of that gets significantly in the way of this as a building game.

It is relaxed compared to many building games--frantic clicking or highly precise timing is never required--but that's fine by me. I prefer being challenged to come up with a good strategy, and to pay reasonable attention to my resources (which is always the hardest part for me).

I do like the graphics for the facades; very inventive and (to my non-artist's eye) well executed.

Edited on 10/05/2009 at 2:51:48 PM PST

lisslar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by lisslar on Mar 21, 10 1:05 AM
I can't tell you why this game is so fun. Maybe because it's so easy? It's still challenging - it requires my brain to flex it's little neurons and for that I keep coming back. I can get through basic levels in the few minutes it takes me to drink the required 8oz of water to go with my nightly pills, so yeah, I come back to this game very very often.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Jul 2, 10 8:53 PM
Played the full demo tonight and although I'm sure in higher levels, this game has more potential and I tend to like it, even though I find it somewhat disappointing, I decided to pass it up. This is about the 5th demo I've tried tonight TRYING to spend my money LOL. With the July 4th sale, I figured what better time to pick up a few games to have in reserve. I'm just not liking anything I try tonight - which is surprising, usually I am quick to purchase games. The thing with this one that gets me is that it's very repetitious, you tend to build the same stores over and over, upgrade them to 3, buy resources, buy more labor, upgrade more, more resources, more labor, it's the same old thing. There never really comes a time where you start strategically thinking oh hey, let me decorate or there's a niche for this particular type of store or anything like that. It's just like build, upgrade, hit a monetary goal, rinse and repeat. I might give this another shot if it's ever offered for the DD, but I would not pay full price for this one.

Lisrose
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Lisrose on Nov 11, 10 12:02 PM
Also having cursor and stalling issues on the trial. Updated mouse drivers etc and while it fixed another problem I was having, it did not improve the game so i will pass even though the premise seems good.

hyperbole
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by hyperbole on Dec 7, 11 4:28 AM
Ugh. I wanted to like this game but like Lisrose, I the game kept stalling on me. It's a shame, it looked interesting.

Doesn't work on two-monitor systems

[Post New]by rebeccamarye on Feb 10, 13 12:46 PM
The game window, which can't be moved, displays right smack between the two monitors, half on one, half on the other.

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Mar 22, 14 5:09 PM
This game froze while it was loading a level in the second town. I had to quit with task manager and all my progress was lost. I'm so glad I didn't buy the game as I see that it's been glitching for a lot of people since 2009!!!

Go to: