Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Winterpoint Tragedy Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 8, 15 12:32 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/08/2015 at 9:51:24 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Winterpoint Tragedy Collector’s

[Post New]by 9otters on Aug 8, 15 2:04 AM
Well...looks like our bad guys are a cross between the "Game Of Thrones" ice walkers, and "The Thing", from John Carpenter's classic film. I like it.

I enjoyed the demo and liked the setting. So far, the story has a bit of a sci-fi flavor. Some cryptic remarks by the detective are good for a laugh. Our tasks are interesting, some tech repair as well as basic "fix the ice station" issues. Of course, we have to save the world from the icy guys too.

Puzzles/mini-games I came across were simple, but fun. Also get to play some multi-level, complex puzzles...my favorite.

Good variety of HOPs. Good graphics. Music not the best feature, but ok.

The gimmick for this game is a scanner used to determine areas in need of repair. Scan, find four symbols, zero in on what needs to be fixed.

The scanner equates to being pointed to the EXACT location, as well as being told the EXACT action that needs to be performed. Bit of hand-holding there.

There are morphing items in the regular scenes. If you don't see them, the cursor turns into a hand when you've found one.

Also "collectibiles" that morph. The couple I noticed were figures of people, but there may be others.

Another interesting collectible..."stars", used to complete a sky chart of constellations...big dipper, etc. There is a star hunt in the extras, so I assume we can go back to find any we missed.

The stars show up as bright points of light. If you're wondering why a zoom window doesn't close when you think you've completed it, it's probably because you missed collecting a "star".

It has a two-step jump map. The hint button will let you jump to a different location as well. The MT signature frog shows up, dressed for the weather. Lol.

The "secret room" shows up again. SOME mini-games and HOPs played on a time and accuracy basis. Not my favorite CE extra. I miss getting to replay ALL the games and HOPs.

I would like to play this game, but I had an issue with a slow and jumpy cursor. It has been my experience that a jumpy cursor only gets worse the further you get in a game.

I want to play, but I think I'll wait to see how the Tech Issues thread shapes up. Or, I might just wait for the SE. Don't REALLY need the extras if gameplay is interesting.

Based on this demo, I'd give it three stars. Simple, but fun.

Edited on 08/08/2015 at 3:22:56 PM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Winterpoint Tragedy Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by shelterhill on Aug 8, 15 6:07 AM
What a boring game, I had no idea what was going on and why I was were I was, whatever it was.. And frankly, my dear, i don't give a....

Gameplay so not interesting, morphing objects that you could not miss, even if you wanted to.
Even the graphics were below standard.
Add my sluggish cursor to it, and it's an exit! For good!

Edited on 08/08/2015 at 1:05:12 PM PST

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Winterpoint Tragedy Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by Tundei on Aug 8, 15 8:45 AM
Played the demo for about 30 minutes until it froze on me and had to restart my PC. Graphics not as great as used to and the game play is very simple along with the puzzles. Elephant games was one of my favorite developers in the past but lately they are on the ERS path. Played the new MCF beta a couple of weeks ago and so glad they aren't the developers.

Edited on 08/08/2015 at 8:49:29 AM PST

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Aug 8, 15 9:15 AM
Agree with Shelterhill. Boring and silly. I liked the first few games in the series but lately that don't make much sense Maybe it's time to put this series to rest.

Edited on 08/08/2015 at 10:02:44 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Aug 8, 15 9:52 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Trackers: Winterpoint Tragedy Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Trackers: Winterpoint Tragedy Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Aug 8, 15 3:49 PM
Not a bad game but there is a lot of back & forth. As usual, it's a rehashed story of some expedition getting in trouble & the "detective" has to sort it all out.

Usual BLUE graphics & wooden characters. Where is the animation/realism in these games? There seems to no pride taken in making these games. They seem to be made in the hurry up & crank it out mode without respect to making it a quality product. The quality control department needs to do their job!!!!!

HOS/Puzzles are fairly interesting with some variety. Music was ok & not as annoying as usual.

The "stars" are quite easy to find & the morphing objects seem to stand out a little than they usually do.

I love ELF but find the fur coat/hat wearing frog is just a little too creepy for my tastes.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Aug 8, 15 4:12 PM
Some suggestions in the Tech Issues thread...turn off the special effects to take care of the jumpy cursor.

I had enough time from playing it the first time to go back and play it again. Turned off the special effects and the cursor behaved.

After the second play, I believe I WILL revisit this one in SE form. Tech issue and lackluster CE extras just not worth it, for me.

Edited on 08/08/2015 at 7:09:52 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 8, 15 4:18 PM
Hello friends! Another addition to this fine series. Naturally, I have all the others and was looking forward to this one. Graphics are very nicely done, clear and bright colors. Game play was very good, except for the extreme lag between scenes. Music was nice and soothing, but could have been a bit edgier for the "fear" effect. Our little helper, Elf, is back to get into the small or difficult areas we can't quite get to easily. He is quiet and very helpful. Voice overs are good, but are few and far between. You can click through dialog if you read faster than they speak. I did notice that the mouth animation often did not work when the character was speaking. Not a deal breaker, but one of those little things that shouldn't happen with a little quality control before a game goes out.

HOPs are well done, with straight lists, silhouettes and collecting pairs of items. I like the changes up, so I don't get bored with the same old thing all the time during a game. Items are not difficult to find and HOPs are pretty clean and clear. Puzzles were not difficult either, but I did run across one that took me some time to complete. There was some challenge here. Hint system is very helpful and does transport you to longer locations. This is a nice feature in a game that sends you back long distances for items or objectives. Didn't care for the map set up...seemed a bit messy to me, but it is a jump map and areas of interest are clearly marked. The use of the goggles to complete tasks was different, but quite simple.

The collectibles are what I found interesting and fun. You find character statues, morphing objects and stars to complete the "starry key." Not sure what that does for you, but these stars are not as easy to see as you may think. Okay, they aren't hard either, but I kept forgetting about them. The plus to this is that the scene would not automatically close until you click on it, so you could go back if you closed it yourself.

I beta tested this one some time ago and commented then that there was a very long lag time between scenes and each movements, which is a major bummer for me. It is frustrating to say the least and I was surprised to see that the dev did not fix this problem. Why have a beta if you don't listen to the comments? I really like this game, and the story line, but this problem is very frustrating for me, so I will wait until they get a fix before I get it. I think this game will appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by alowan on Aug 8, 15 5:07 PM
Played the demo only.

This will probably be the first Elephant game I won't buy, which is a shame.

I liked the story line, as much of it as I saw. I also found the music to be above average: appropriate to the scenes, enjoyable enough to keep me from turning it off, but not distracting, like the music in Cadenza. (I love me some Jazz!)

The biggest reason I'm not buying is the puzzles. The devs seem to be aiming them at third graders. The only challenging ones are those done in several steps - but I dislike them because the "reset" button sends me back to the very beginning, even if I messed up the 4th or 5th step. So, instead of enjoying a good puzzle, I just say a bad word and hit the skip button.

There are also glitches. Read the tech thread; it seems that each poster has a different one. Mine are very annoying: I used the Detective (aka Custom) game setting, and turned off tasks - only to have them keep annoying me. And the map never showed me where tasks were available. I never saw an exclamation point; only question marks.

Combine those two, and it's a no buy, even at half-price.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Aug 9, 15 10:56 AM
Hi Fishies,

I bought this as a 2 for 1 offer today, (the other game is QUITE DIFFERENT!!!!) and as I'd bought others in the series I knew more or less what to expect.

9otters has described it well enough, and luckily I didn't have too much trouble with slow or shaky cursors, except in one scene in the igloo, which wasn't a problem.

My one gripe was when Elf was in the well and picking up the objects.....I know he did his best, (he is still only a dog after all, albeit a very clever one...) but I had to keep clicking to make him pick up what I wanted, and one of the items ( the spoke) he wouldn't go near, so I had to check with a hint it was the right item.....I HATE TO HINT IN A HOP!!!!

Got there in the end, but I must say, this isn't one of the better ones in the series, and not sure I'd buy more in this series unless they up the stakes a bit, as this is about a 3/5 star game, IMHO

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

so far ,for me, no redeeming feature whatsoever

[Post New]by kandinsky on Aug 10, 15 6:08 PM
Just a note ,having played over a third of it I would say, that I have never found a story that interested me as little as this one does Shelterhill above says it very well for me too, but I paid for it and will press on with a certain morbid fascination to see if what remains can be for me as totally devoid of charm or interest.
This isnt much of an interim review even but perhaps it can serve as warning to someone looking for a game this week to look elsewhere and/or at least to try it a bit first.
but then watching the film titanic with mr de caprio ,I found myself hoping a giant squid would come and pull it down as soon as the ice berg was hit , so I am a bit of a hard case sometimes. so ... consult your own taste and sense of course.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Aug 10, 15 9:16 PM
This is the second mystery trackers game that I won't be getting. Just didn't grab my attention. I didn't like the sci fi feel to it. Mystery trackers has been my favorite series of games until the last couple.

Skrdykat
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Skrdykat on Aug 11, 15 1:51 PM
Even with the problems, I actually love the storyline (it reminds me a little of The 1982 film The Thing by John Carpenter, worth a watch) and the creatures are a LOT like what's going on in Game of Thrones.

Mostly though, as it has been Heat Index 110-115 degrees here for weeks, I LOVE the icy cold setting. Brrrrr.......awesome.

And I love the Inuit angle....if this weren't so glitchy it would definitely be a favorite of mine!!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Aug 13, 15 9:32 PM
While I enjoyed the game (post-update version!), it had very little (if any - I don't think the cold people were based on anything Inuit) cultural connection with the Inuit legends and myths, which is a shame because that area has lots of potential. I liked the Northern Lights show. Plot - okay.

The guy in the lighthouse (my memory for names is terrible - was it Billy?) stole the show, IMO, as the only one who seemed to have an interesting and quirky personality - I found myself curious about his background.

I failed to find TWO stars, which seems impossible since they are so obvious, but I managed it somehow!

Liked the puzzles and games, which is, after all, the main purpose of these things.

As always, excellent translations/editing. Excellent graphics. Music - didn't like the HOP/puzzle music, too languorous.

Four out of five. Nice job!

[Post New]by mb5942 on Aug 14, 15 7:00 PM
This game is very buggy! The cursor is erratic and response is sometimes very slow. I enjoyed the game, but I hope a fix is on the way.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Aug 15, 15 6:45 AM
mb5942 wrote:This game is very buggy! The cursor is erratic and response is sometimes very slow. I enjoyed the game, but I hope a fix is on the way.

The update seems to fix a lot of stuff, have you downloaded it yet? It wasn't announced here (except my me!) but it came out a couple days ago.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 15, 15 8:16 PM
First off, I love Alf and will remain a true fan!! This game, however, maybe because I'm tired or something (!!), but it seems too techno for me. I didn't like the puzzles or the HOS and the story is not all that interesting to me. Having said that, I will give this another try (only tried the demo) and since I'm a big fan of Mystery Tracker games ( have them all!), I will recommend this game for fans of this genre and middle to hard core gamers.

feenix

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Aug 18, 15 5:45 AM
That has got to be one the shortest games ever. This should have been at least 3 times as long, to count as an full game. What a disaster. This is no more than a glorified demo. If this is the way Mystery Tracker game series is going, with WAY-WAY to short games this has been the last Mystery Tracker game, I'll ever buy. Shocking...As i consider this only a demo, due to beeing way to short for full game. I'll not even review it. What a dissapointment. I'm sorry, but this is not cool.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Aug 22, 15 12:47 PM
Based on completed game and bonus chapter

Ohhhh... this is a hard one. I have such mixed feelings.

Because I have played all MT games, I did not feel the excitement that came with say, the first 3 in the series. But, was I excited at the first 3 because casual games really didn't have those kinds of action cut scenes in so many games back then? It felt new then. If my memory could be wiped and the 1st was released tomorrow, would I be as happy with it as I was when it first came out?

If I was a relatively new gamer would my excitement factor for this latest offering be greater? Is it the newer gamer who developers are really trying to reach, and so I am becoming irrelevant? How much farther could casual game developers go in breakthroughs and still keep the BFG price point on their games? Hmmm. Beats me to all of the above, but these are the questions that make me a bit torn on my feelings. Below are the rest of the reasons.

No tech issues for me on the updated version.

I thought the main game's HOPs and puzzles were pretty easy. The only challenging HOP to me was the laptop HOP. It was very fun. You really do have to treat it like you were working on a computer and not a static HOP scene.

There was one dexterity puzzle in a snowmobile trip that I have no idea how I got through. Those kinds of things I usually make my way through in a couple tries, but this one? I thought it was difficult to get the controls to do what they needed to do quickly. I felt I had to keep clicking on what I wanted because it didn't seem to be taking it.

The world is small & contained. You can't get lost and you don't have a lot of thinking to do with your items.

Bonus game? Mostly all of the same scenery as main game. I didn't like that. But, it had good length and at last were some challenges. I'm not sure why Elephant saved these for the bonus, but there were multiple HOPs that were really innovative and difficult! I loved them. A couple more challenging puzzles too. I thought the Bonus was the best chapter.

The story didn't thrill me, but it could be that I've just gone down the MT road too many times. However, there were moments in this game that I thought were absolutely brilliant. I wish there were more of them. So for those moments I ended up not regretting playing.

Go to: