bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Pure Hidden comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 4, 09 1:06 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Pure Hidden. We're sure you have comments you would like to share with the community. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Pure Hidden is a great and wholly unique hidden object game. The graphic design is amazing, with levels varying from finding objects in a brightly colored picture to finding silhouettes of objects in graffiti on an urban wall. The minigames are mostly skipable but usually fun, such as growing a plant, making music by dragging notes onto a record, or putting a picture back together. Players looking for a rating can play score mode, which racks up a score for finding objects, whereas in Zen mode you can progress through the game by finding a minimum of objects in most scenes as opposed to every object. There is no plot to speak of, but unlocking the next amazing level is enough to keep you playing. Levels range from easy to very challenging, but as I said before you don’t need to find every object to continue, so you can leave the harder objects alone unless you want to take on the challenge. I highly recommend this game…great fun!

Game Modes:
Pure Hidden has two modes of play, Score Mode and Zen Mode.

Depth:
Set aside plenty of time for Pure Hidden. It's long!

Similar to:
Pure Hidden is pretty unique, but I'd compare it to Something Special and the Travelogue 360 series.

Difficulty level:
Most Hidden Object players shouldn't have much difficulty with Pure Hidden

Reviewed by R.R.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

Re:Pure Hidden comments and reviews

[Post New]by lineck on Aug 4, 09 1:49 AM
Not the type of H O that I enjoy hard to find objects and no sense in anything, some easy puzzles, maybe being a bit unfair as I only played 15 minutes and was bored. it might have got better, but very much doubt it. to me it looked more like a low budget freebie. no comparision to a lot of the **** A games. maybe a few years ago I might have said maybe. as the were new, but they have gone away past that now. looking at Azaeda,1 and 2 Mushroom Age and ofcourse RTR plus many many more..

on the game
but a on someone trying get something differant out there. as it must be very hard, as there very big shoes to fit.

Cheers
lineck

Edited on 08/04/2009 at 1:50:29 AM PST

vloert
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,089 Posts

[Post New]by vloert on Aug 4, 09 1:53 AM
Just played it, didn't finish. No challenge or story. Felt back in the seventies. Sorry, no game for me.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Aug 4, 09 2:02 AM
I suspect this is a game that will inspire - either to love or hatred - without much grey in between...

I personally love this little oddity. I would actually classify it more as interactive artwork than a game, though. Having spent a great deal of my life in art/design school and in design environments at work I love the look of the game, the uniqueness of it, the sytle and MUST buy it. There is no way I wouldn't applaud the designers for stepping waaaay out in left field to create this quirky bit of joy with my meesley $7. Very much has the look and feel of a truly extrodinary final interactive piece for Flash class at the Art Institute, before the need to be commercial squashes most designers creativity.

All that said, as strictly a game it's a mixed bag. The graphics are bizarre and this adds a level of difficulty to "junk pile" Hidden Object screens as you are searching through collages really, rather than typical environments, and the unfamiliarity alone makes things harder to find. Some tiny objects, some dark objects, so some folks not gonna like that. Refillable hints - click on hint (the * icon) THEN on object word, this had me confused. Reverse timer for ranking (don't care about those myself). Other puzzles/games are mixed, some quirky, some regular, but all with the PH spin to make them more. ALL game screens can be replayed as soon as you do them.

So. Definitely not for everyone... heck, not for most, probably, but for the little artsy hidden object design fan niche market (like me) it's a winner! Poodlebear Approved! (but that's just me )

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 4, 09 2:40 AM
Yeah I like it too. Get tired of searching kitchens, churches, ships and beaches so it is nice to have some different screens with fun graphics.

There is no story - just object hunting with some puzzles too. Some of the objects are hard to find and some very tiny, but I enjoy that challenge rather than having them stare me in the face. I guess I have the time on my hands to bother with long searches and unlike story based HOG's I do not feel I have to play it until finished- just when in the mood.

Not really a fan of the straight HOG but Pure Hidden's graphics make the searches fun.

and a half

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Aug 4, 09 3:29 AM
I would actually classify it more as interactive artwork than a game

Me too, Poodlebear.

Bought this from another site since an old discussion hear seemed doubtful that BFG would get it. I loved the artsy backgrounds. And some of the mini games were fairly easy. What I didn't like were the boxes where you just 'played' - I especially got tirted of decorating the bathroom!

I do think they should have explained the hint system somewhere. I've read a lot of complaints about that. I couldn't figure it out myself and had to go searching the web for an answer. Of course then I felt very silly for not figuring it out for myself - but there you are.

But all in all I thought it a good game if only because it was so different! So - Happy Hunting to all. I'm now off to work.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 4, 09 4:06 AM
This is definitely NOT a game for me, when I am staring at the screen trying to find well hidden ( for originality) objects the last thing that I want to see is moving circles and stars or the line of "bubbles" as the object moves across the screen when you have found it. The clouds and "fireflies" gently jigging is fine but the ladybird zooming down the screen ... no. Remove those sort of things and the game would be acceptable as it is NO THANKS it gave me a headache, sorry.

C

glascot
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by glascot on Aug 4, 09 4:11 AM
Have to totally agree with Poodlebear, people with either love or hate it with no inbetween. My review is not worth much being colorblind but I really enjoyed playing something different from the normal places and according to my husband the artwork is really great.

justnorma
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by justnorma on Aug 4, 09 4:33 AM
It may because I read here about the hint system beforehand, but it did give instructions about it at the very beginning. I'm not sure I would have paid attention to it, though, as it flashed on the screen rather quickly.

I rather liked the game. It's an entirely different take on HOGs. I enjoyed the artwork. I also enjoyed the mini-games. Yes, they were mostly silly, but then I think that added to the "art" of the game. I especially liked rolling the ball in the maze.

I wonder what it means if I found the objects most quickly in the black and white scene?

The sound effects were good, but more music would have been nice.

I would use my credit for this game if I had one. But I'm not sure I would pay for it. Does that make sense?

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Aug 4, 09 4:33 AM
In all truth I can't classify myself as a hidden object fanatic but I do own and enjoy an odd dozen or so of the classics....
This one is purely different, purely simple, purely .....enjoyable....in a mindless yet comforting way.
I was quite surprised at how quickly I found myself deeply immersed and pulled out with only 4 minutes left on the demo. It might have been the no rush, take your time, look at the pretty pictures and just zone out feeling this game has given me....very soothing if not a bit confusing because it does have a few itsy bitsy faults.
I could have used just a wee bit more directions on advancing to the next level on the menu (?) page. I mean, I like the whole plant with the next board presented in a box deal but it did make me pause and go, huh ? do what ? drag or click ? just click ? what was that again ?
And what's the thing with the jumping sheep ?
And after using a hint, still not seeing the circled object resolve into shape before blindly clicking. I'll probably HAVE to buy this game so I can replay that particular board just so I can look again and justify my failure by mentally accusing the graphic artist of cheating....lol.

TeresaRollen
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,896 Posts

[Post New]by TeresaRollen on Aug 4, 09 5:09 AM
I do think they should have explained the hint system somewhere. I've read a lot of complaints about that. I couldn't figure it out myself and had to go searching the web for an answer. Of course then I felt very silly for not figuring it out for myself - but there you are.

I never did figure out the hint system and instead of searching somewhere to find out how it worked I just quit playing the game. I didn't like this one anyway. Too much clutter in the scenes that I played liked circles. Also, hated that comic strip scene.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 4, 09 5:12 AM
I think I won`t purchased this game. For me, it has to many different gametypes. But it is a nice games for people who loves few differents. I give it 3

cepe
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by cepe on Aug 4, 09 5:27 AM
I liked it - its quirky and grabbed my interest because I had no idea what was coming next.

Not for HOG players who like a story, or those with difficulty with small objects.

The bouncing sheep made me laugh out loud and the black and white artwork was very good.

Not mainstream but as a number of fishes have said recently (me included) there are really dull games out there!

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Aug 4, 09 5:32 AM
Well, I just played for 10 minutes and really enjoyed it and it is very different.
I get the feeling, though, that it's not going to be a long game as I did 5 boxes in those 10 minutes.
ETA: "Depth:
Set aside plenty of time for Pure Hidden. It's long! "
Hmm, OK, we'll have to see.
I played score mode.

Edited on 08/04/2009 at 5:33:47 AM PST

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Aug 4, 09 5:43 AM
Poodlebear - I agree completely!

When I first played I expected to hate it - and surprised myself by loving it! My preference is HOG/Adventure and this is definitely not that - but the art work is brilliant and to have a complete change of scene each time is refreshing! Got confused about the hint system too - didn't spot an explanation! Once I had figured it out though I enjoyed a very quick refill for the last couple of objects I couldn't find. As to length - I have no idea since there's no way to work out how many boxes there are in total.

Overall a winner I think!

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Aug 4, 09 6:23 AM
I absolutely love this game. I love the artwork and the quirkiness of some of the games in between. A bit off the beaten path but very enjoyable. A storyline is all well and good and I enjoy a good mystery and difficult puzzles, but this is light and fun. I do think you will either love it or hate it with not much in between. I give it

Corie

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Aug 4, 09 6:46 AM
It's clever and colorful. I was on the fence but after 45 min. I decided it's a pass for me. Tiny and near invisible objects are what killed it for me. The topper was that when I tried to quit the game i got a black screen from which I could not recover. I had to use the Task Manager to stop the game from running. Oddly, when the TM opened I could see the BFG GM so I closed the TM expecting to be able to quit the game using the GM but as soon as the TM closed it was back to the black screen.

I didn't understand the decorate-the-bathroom game. I chose a wind chime and then was told to sound the chime. I clicked on the chime and was once again given a selection of wind chimes to choose from. I was not interested enough to go further with that one. Same for clicking the music bubbles. it was colorful and somewhat fun but what was the point?

You are very right Poodle, people will probably either love it or hate it but I'd say "like it or not". I don't hate it, just can't see a lot of things and don't get some things. Wonderful 70s like graphics are a big plus!

delrio_gw
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by delrio_gw on Aug 4, 09 7:57 AM
already had the demo of this from another site and absolutely love it.

no convoluted stories or ridiculous reasons for why we have to find objects, just a pure fun game, beautifully presented.

was waiting before buying it in the hope that it would come up at big fish, because the game club price is better than you can get from other places.

one very happy bunny

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Aug 4, 09 8:05 AM
First, let me say that as has already been said, you will either love or hate this game. I would however suggest that anyone who loves HOGs to give this one a try. It's really different from any that I've played before. It's a combination of hidden objectives levels, mini-games, and activities.

Hints are generous, though they will cost you 50 points. You will also loose 10 points for clicking wrong answers.

This is really for hidden object game lovers. There really is no storyline, but the design of the game is very different and sometimes I just want to play a mindless game. This is just that.

In the time mode, you receive 100 points for the first find, and when you find items back to back, it goes up to 500 points. At the end of each level, you see your total score. I believe there are 66 levels to this game. When you play under another name, the items do change, so there is some replay value.

Pros. I believe the art work and scenes are really well done. In the hidden object game levels, you have some really different and at times, difficult things to fine. Some are large, small, easy or hard to find. For those who like HOGs, the hard items will provide you with some challenge.

Cons. The mini-games and activities are quite easy and you don't always have any opportunity to skip. Some are way beyond mindless

Bottom-Line.
I give this game a for creativity, originality and art work. I give it 3-1/2-stars out of five for games in the HOG genre. More points if the instructions were a little clearer. The developers steppeds "outside the box" with this one and I approve!!

Edited on 08/04/2009 at 8:06:56 AM PST

[Post New]by chinadoll6 on Aug 4, 09 8:17 AM
Guess what you guys...I draw a blank looking at this screen...I have NO idea how to play this. My acute sense of logic has totally shut DOWN. I think I hate this game. Being an avid fan of BFG I will give it a chance if someone would be kind enough to tell me HOW THIS GAME IS PLAYED. I DO hate to give up easily!

Go to: