javajule
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

Access Violation, Program Terminated

[Post New]by javajule on Aug 6, 09 10:07 AM

I was enjoying this game right up to the point where Katya has gathered all the objects necessary for the wand and is back in the grand chamber. She is greeted by the teacher (I don't remember his name) and he says, "Katya! You must remember! Oracle focus your energy with me!" and then once I click on that screen, the game freezes up and I get the following error:

Error: Access violation at 0x773327AF (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, patched up my computer to the latest windows updates, but no joy.

I'm really bummed for 2 reasons: 1. I was enjoying this game and 2. I feel like I paid for a lemon. It is unplayable for me now.

I'm on Vista Home Premium, NVIDIA GeForce 6150E nForce

Anyone else had this problem?

bfgEuphrates
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,152 Posts

Re:Access Violation, Program Terminated

[Post New]by bfgEuphrates on Aug 6, 09 11:21 AM
Hi javajule,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced an error in your game! The error you're receiving (an Access Violation) usually corresponds with the permissions on your computer. Basically, the game is trying to pull a file from your system and your computer is telling the game that it doesn't have permission to do so. We have a great help pages article that helps to fix that error, and you can click here to get to that page directly.

If those steps seem unfamiliar though, you can always write into our Customer Support team to get some personal help from one of our awesome representatives. Just click on the green envelope on the right side of this page ("We're Here to Help!") to submit a help request and they will get back to you as quickly as they can.

Cheers!

bfgEuphrates

javajule
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by javajule on Aug 6, 09 4:26 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I followed everything (updated driver, directX, etc.) and the game still freezes at that point.

[Post New]by MerenwenElensar on Aug 8, 09 3:04 PM
I do have the same problem. All drivers and stuff is up to date.
Game freezes there and there is nothing that helped at the moment.

[Post New]by scarrow on Aug 21, 09 12:04 PM
What I did was I created a new user and started the game, then immediately left the game, then I switched back to my old user and continued and it didn't crash this time. Kind of arcane, but whatever works. I suspect it's some sort of memory bug that always happens when you immediately load the save after starting the game and so I was just trying to figure out a way to make the memory state be a little different.

My crash was always code attempting to write to 0x00000000 (i.e. something was trying to store data in a NULL memory address). It's right before the first FMV (full-motion video) playback, so I suspect the error lies with that. Depending on what they're using to play video there could be a lot of influencing factors. If they're using DirectShow, for example, and not explicitly specifying the scene graph the crash could be caused by some codec that you have installed.

Go to: