Edited on 08/15/2015 at 7:12:16 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Realm: Princess of Ice Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by 9otters on Aug 15, 15 1:38 AM
Based On Completed Game

Mad Head innovation is written ALL over this game. FABULOUS graphics and CHARACTERS.

The BIGGEST NEGATIVE is the game "gimmick". Used and OVER-USED. There is a mini-game that has to be played to complete its function. I'd estimate I got 2/3 of the way through and then just skipped it whenever it came up. So tedious playing that same game over and over and over...

The music was original and I probably would have liked it a lot better if I had not listened to the same refrain, repeatedly, during the gimmick game. Voice-overs really good.

SOME good mini-games, but I understand why they are not available to replay in the bonus. I don't think some would be that interesting outside of the game, plus some themes were repeated.

We do get to replay the HOPs for time and accuracy in the extras, and they were much better than the mini-games, imo. There were morphing items to be found in these.

44 Collectible crowns. A "Crown Hunt" in the extras. We can go back and collect any we miss. Finding them all unlocks a HUGE HOS and a jigsaw puzzle. Completing the jigsaw puzzle unlocks a "character gallery" of 27 characters, with descriptions.

Strategy guide (never looked at it), bonus game, 15 achievements, replay of 19 HOPs, music, "Making of", etc.

The jump map shows active areas, but not individual actions needed. The hint button works fine for that. There is an indicator by the hint button to show how many crowns have been collected.

Locking inventory. Four difficulty levels, one is custom. (Isn't "custom" really all anyone needs?)

Lots of positives in this games, but some negatives too. The story and action dragged at times. I found myself losing interest.

The Main game ending leaves it open for future sagas, but it does have a conclusive ending. I'd recommend the CE because, just like Maze: Subject 360, the bonus game adds so much to the story. A prequel, with a twist I didn't expect, and for THIS game, it makes the entire story BETTER.

For me, a 3-star game.

Edited on 08/21/2015 at 10:54:44 AM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Aug 15, 15 1:46 AM
Great review! And, yes, it is extraordinary. But we by now know this dev as one who "has it".

Just one addition to your review: I came over a morphing object in one of the HOGs - so look for those too.

Will go on playing the demo and will surely buy this great game.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Aug 15, 15 2:00 AM
Oooo, rainworm! Thank you SO much for that. I was so agog at everything else I didn't even notice.

Finally. A CE that is worthy of the title.

reesy37
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by reesy37 on Aug 15, 15 4:43 AM
So far I am really liking this game. I haven't played much but have already purchased it.

I did some intentional 'missing' of some things to check out what can be accomplished later.

If you miss a morphing object in HOP, you CAN get it through replaying the HOP in Extras.

If you miss a crown, you CAN go back and get it through Extras.

These two things make me much more likely to purchase a game. I don't like having to resort to the SG to be sure I don't miss anything as I play. This way, if I miss something I know I can get it later.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Aug 15, 15 4:55 AM
Really liked this one, got some nice gameplay, a bit different from other developers, but these crazy minds think of something new every time.
Love it and off to buy!!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 15, 15 7:11 AM
I read the rave reviews and decided to buy without trying the demo. Sadly I was terribly disappointed with this very ordinary game. I suppose after 'Maze: Subject 360' and 'Beyond:Light Advent', it was expecting too much to hope for something as unique as those games.

It's all very pretty with the sparkling snow and glittering ice. This dev does do lovely graphics and the music was gorgeous, although I didn't keep it on. But the HOS were ordinary, with a morphing object thrown in for some interest. I did like some of the puzzles, when I could understand what to do. The ball-shooter got irritating as you have to keep replaying if you aren't fast enough. Not fun. I didn't see many of the collectible crowns but you can go back and find them in the extras section. You can also play the bonus chapter, replay the HOS, complete a jigsaw puzzle, get achievements, hear the soundtrack and watch 'the making of' (if you wish). There are 5 chapters in the main game, which has 4 playing modes including custom. If there was a map I didn't see it and the 'gimmick' item got old very quickly.

My pet hate in any game is when you click on a wrong item and get an 'X', accompanied by a 'clunk'. Who does that in games any more anyway; it's so old hat and annoying I end up having to turn of the sounds and lose so much atmosphere from the game by doing so.

It's all just a bit dull and predictable. Or I'm just not in the mood for this game today. But whatever the reason, I'm disappointed with it.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Aug 15, 15 7:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Realm: Princess of Ice Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Realm: Princess of Ice Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Aug 15, 15 11:37 AM
Hello fishies,

Oh happy day
Bought the Queen of Fire a while ago, which really rocked my boat...(check it out if you like this one) and now I'm an ice princess....Hoorah!

9otters as always does a really good synopsis of the game, so I just need to say that this is a definate buy for me,

There have been some right turkeys put out recently, but these guys are a nice plump organic chicken, with mad head gravy

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Aug 15, 15 11:41 AM
Ooooh, forgot, and offer on too!

I can't believe me luck!!!

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Aug 15, 15 12:33 PM
I'm sorry but I have to give this game a I've been playing about 3 hours and it is so puzzle heavy that I am fast losing interest. It has virtually no replay value as far as I am concerned. The graphics are spectacular, music OK, story line is fine but just too many puzzles at every turn.

[Post New]by fatjuicymouse on Aug 15, 15 7:27 PM
I like the game but I HATE HATE HATE that awful noise any time you click anywhere the devs think you don't need to!!! Half the fun of a lot of games for me is clicking on objects and getting rewarded with a little quirky something fun that doesn't progress the game but really adds to the enjoyment. I have to turn off the sound because that terrible sound puts my teeth on edge. I miss the voices and sound effects and it downgrades the experience of the game for me. PLEASE stop doing that!!!

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 16, 15 7:07 AM
I vaguely remember betaing this game and ultimately I didn't like it. In the first minutes of the game I didn't know the combination to a chest right by the bed in my very own bedroom. Plus the oddity of having a suit or armor, also in my bedroom. And the object lying under a chest of drawers also in my very own bedroom, which, apparently, I wasn't smart (or brave) enough to put my arm under and search for without a source of light. No, this game wasn't for me and it still isn't, although it's apparent a lot of people really do love it, which is great, but it's no buy for me.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Aug 16, 15 7:30 AM
fatjuicymouse wrote:I like the game but I HATE HATE HATE that awful noise any time you click anywhere the devs think you don't need to!!! Half the fun of a lot of games for me is clicking on objects and getting rewarded with a little quirky something fun that doesn't progress the game but really adds to the enjoyment. I have to turn off the sound because that terrible sound puts my teeth on edge. I miss the voices and sound effects and it downgrades the experience of the game for me. PLEASE stop doing that!!!

But this is in all mad head games!!

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Aug 16, 15 12:16 PM

[Post New]by OhioCrazyCatLady on Aug 16, 15 12:56 PM
MsNetty61 wrote: Hello fishies,

Oh happy day
Bought the Queen of Fire a while ago, which really rocked my boat...(check it out if you like this one) and now I'm an ice princess....Hoorah!

9otters as always does a really good synopsis of the game, so I just need to say that this is a definate buy for me,

There have been some right turkeys put out recently, but these guys are a nice plump organic chicken, with mad head gravy

I can't find the queen of fire. what series is it in?

[Post New]by shelterhill on Aug 16, 15 2:02 PM
OhioCrazyCatLady wrote:
MsNetty61 wrote: Hello fishies,

Oh happy day

I can't find the queen of fire. what series is it in?

Also a dark realm

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 16, 15 6:09 PM
Hello friends! Well, we have a new addition to this series...yep, got the first one. This game has beautiful colors, very clear and clean. Graphics are superb, game play is excellent and animation and voice overs are extremely well done. Get the picture? I loved the music, which moved with whatever was happening at the time. Believe me, I never say that about music! Sound FX are constant and extremely well done, e.g., wind sounded so real. You can click through the dialog if you read faster than they speak. There are a lot of achievements, but none that are too difficult to accomplish.

HOPs are interactive lists, silhouettes and parts. They are very clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. There are not a lot of HOPs, but you get so engrossed in the game that you don't really notice. Puzzles are not difficult, although I did find one that made me stop and think before I did anything. There are various types of puzzles, so you don't notice that there are a lot. This game flows extremely well. SG is the standard, but I was disappointed that it did not show a bit of the collectibles, so I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I did not see that you have the transport feature in the hint, but the map is very well done, with areas clearly marked and identified and it does jump quickly.

Collectibles are 44 crowns. A little hint...note that not all of them are metal or have jewels and are different sizes. They are not as easy to spot as you may think. You do have to look for them. I also see that there are morphing objects in the HOPs, but I got so engrossed in what I was doing, that I forgot to look for them. I need to go back and pick them up, if the extras allow it. Didn't even look at the extras to find out.

It is so nice to have a game that immediately moves you from one area to another, without a black screen or a long frustrating lag. I beta tested this game quite some time ago and was very impressed with it. Now, please understand that I do not work for the developer, so my review is strictly my own personal take on the the demo. I rarely give a game 5 stars unless it is exceptional in every way. This game most definitely deserves them all! I was drawn in from the opening scene. The story really isn't anything new, but everything is so well done that I find the need to continue and see what happens. Not extremely challenging, but enough to keep you interested. I think all levels of players will find this one enjoyable. Yes, I am absolutely going to purchase this game.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 17, 15 1:59 AM
shelterhill wrote:
fatjuicymouse wrote:I like the game but I HATE HATE HATE that awful noise any time you click anywhere the devs think you don't need to!!! Half the fun of a lot of games for me is clicking on objects and getting rewarded with a little quirky something fun that doesn't progress the game but really adds to the enjoyment. I have to turn off the sound because that terrible sound puts my teeth on edge. I miss the voices and sound effects and it downgrades the experience of the game for me. PLEASE stop doing that!!!

But this is in all mad head games!!

I also commented on this aspect of the game, as I too absolutely hate that noise. And it's accompanied by an 'x', so in case you didn't hear the horrible noise you get a visual telling off as well. I too have to turn off the sounds and so lose the atmosphere from the sound effects

And yes, it is in all Mad Head Games. I'm currently playing 'Maze: Subject 360' without sound effects. I played 'Beyond: Light Advent' with no sound effects. Doing so takes away a lot of the ambiance from these games.

Perhaps Mad Head should consider not having irritating noises in their games, so that the work that goes into the sound effects doesn't get lost on players like myself and fatjuicymouse who either have to turn them off or go insane And losing that annoying 'x' wouldn't go amiss either.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Aug 17, 15 8:13 AM
angelfish106 wrote:
Perhaps Mad Head should consider not having irritating noises in their games, so that the work that goes into the sound effects doesn't get lost on players like myself and fatjuicymouse who either have to turn them off or go insane And losing that annoying 'x' wouldn't go amiss either.

Agree, agree!!!

Go to: