bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Grandpa's Candy Factory comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 8, 09 1:05 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Grandpa’s Candy Factory. We're sure you have comments you would like to share with the community. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Grandpa’s Candy Factory starts out like an animated movie, pulling you in with a cinematic scene of a girl who’s lost her family in a tragic accident. There are several movie quality scenes like this throughout the game paired with a whimsical soundtrack which makes the story really come to life. It’s easy to get distracted in this game. During levels with bonus tiles flashing, the sound effect noises playing over the music in the background, and your eyes constantly moving between the game board what ingredients you still need. The great background music adds to the overall effect of the game, but you may choose to turn it down or off completely to help with this. While you are in the options menu, you might notice that there is no way to turn off the custom cursor. Despite a few minor details, the game has everything players expect from a Match 3 game and as well as some nice extras.

Game Modes:
Set your own pace by playing in Timed or Relaxed mode and if you change your mind you can even switch between modes mid-game.

Depth:
There are 7 stages with 8 levels each. The objectives get more difficult for every level so it can take you a couple of days to complete all 56 levels. There are two skip-able levels in every stage which can shorten the length of the game.

Similar to:
This is as sweet of a Match 3 game as Chocolate Shop Frenzy and Apple Pie, with some elements of Gourmania as well.

Difficulty level:
Players who are new to the Match 3 genre will appreciate the tutorial levels as well as the skip and shuffle options, while seasoned players will enjoy that the levels get more difficult as the game progresses.

Review by M.J.B.

Edited on 08/10/2009 at 9:44:59 AM PST

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

Re:Grandpa's Candy Factory comments and reviews

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Aug 8, 09 1:31 AM
This is an interesting M3 game. So far all the M3 levels have been chain type on hexagonal tiles. You are given a quota of several types of tiles to harvest. On some levels there are coconuts that act as wild cards for making chains, but they block tiles from falling until they have been matched three times.

I love that there is a choice of both timed and untimed for the M3 levels. I've seen two different types of minigames so far. The first was timed only, rotating pipes to control the flow of chocolate. The second was hidden object. You get another chance at the rotating pipes if you run out of time. Both the minigames were skippable.

It took me a while to figure out how to skip the cut scenes and dialog. The story line is mildly interesting, but I had read most of what I've seen so far when I did the beta test. The main character is a bit hard for me to relate to, because she is so completely oblivious to the fact that the bad guy is an enemy.

In any case, I was very happy to spend a game credit on this one.

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on Aug 8, 09 1:39 AM
i this game what a change from the usuall match 3 you have mini games plus hog i am sure this will be a winner and look at all that candy yum yum besstan

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Aug 8, 09 2:03 AM
Nice, sweet 3M. Lovely graphics and nice inbetweenies.
And not so difficult imo. l nearly finished 3 levels in the demo - l think the demo was longer than 1 hour, not sure though.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Aug 8, 09 2:21 AM
I really should have been asleep 6 hours ago.... oh well. I'm in the cakes and the current pipes minigame has me stumped. I refuse to skip it - I'm sure that there IS a solution. Seriously thinking of taking a screen shot and working from that for a while.

edit: Working from a screen shot I figured that one out. Boy am I glad I'm playing untimed mode, because the M3 levels are getting *tough*. The hidden object scenes are pretty tricky as well. If you click on a word in the list you get an outline of the item, but I haven't figured out if there's a way to get a hint as to the location.

I'm not sure if there will be any replay value in the minigames. The hidden object scenes at appear to be the kind that would be likely to be exactly the same the second time around. Since most of the game is the M3 levels I don't think that's going to be a problem.

(now me getting any sleep at all tonight... that might be a problem, considering it's now 5am and i'm still up.....)

Edited on 08/08/2009 at 3:07:10 AM PST

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Aug 8, 09 3:11 AM
I just LOVE this game! I need another M3 in my collection like I need another hole in my head, but this is the first game in ages where I ran out the demo time without realizing it. Honestly, I thought it was a screw up because I was just *sure* I'd only been playing 20 minutes or so. A real MUST BUY! Especially for those of us who love Tim Burton's movies. Nightmare Before Christmas, anyone?

itsme07
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

[Post New]by itsme07 on Aug 8, 09 4:54 AM
Thanks for the reviews--was waffling, but kishimojun's reference to Tim Burton and the Nightmare Before Christmas has made the decision for me. Off to try demo.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Aug 8, 09 5:28 AM
Good Reviews! I am also playing untimed. I usually read everything but reached a point where I couldn't stand it any more as the dialog was slow moving. So, I skipped.

In the night scene at the beginning of a level you will see a firecracker. I thought that might be the exit so I held off. When i finally clicked, it was a firecracker that shot off fireworks in the scene. I watched that for a second or two and then clicked on the X to get out of the game.

There are a lot of things I liked about this. The art work is a style seldom scene though i would like a little more color. I like the minis so far. In the Demo I think I did 3 pipe games and two HOGs. I also did the typewriter key game. In that one I was a little stumped. I reached the point where I could not find a key so I clicked on every key that was left with no luck. That included the partly visible ones. I used a Hint and one key was found which then ended the game although there were two keys rhat i needed to find.

In the M3 games there is an annoying arm that moves back and forth across the bottom of the screen. That bothered me enough that I am not buying this, it is NOT the only reason but was the decider.

This is a unique M3, different from any other I have played. it has many good points and even though I don't want it, I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 8, 09 5:39 AM
The game is different from many other Match 3- games, it`s an nice game, but I won`t buy it, because it`s to easy from me, the puzzles are not good and the music is horrible. I give it 2 from 5

lilorange
Flounder
Flounder
2,206 Posts

[Post New]by lilorange on Aug 8, 09 6:56 AM
lordkalvan wrote:
(now me getting any sleep at all tonight... that might be a problem, considering it's now 5am and i'm still up.....)

You and me both lordkalvan. Woke up early and read the posts about this. Tried it, and I agree with your review--this is a keeper! I am playing in timed mode--though I might be sorry down the line. Now if I only could have gone back to sleep-lol!!!

I hear you kishimojun--I need another M3 like a hole in the head. But this one was just too good to pass up. It's been a good week for M3's--I really liked the Lost Inca game too!!!

itsme07
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

[Post New]by itsme07 on Aug 8, 09 7:33 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed the hour I had with this game.

Stayed with the dialogue, but only because I enjoyed looking at the graphics. The art quality is superb. Tim Burton and his quality and style of work does come to mind.

Clicked on the firecracker the first time it showed up and laughed at the cleverness.

I haven't played grid style(?) match 3's in awhile, had need of the reset opportunity when the grids became more compact. Many thanks to the developers for that option.

Played one H O and two pipe puzzles - did not get far in the game but enjoyed every minute. I will buy it.

Thanks again for taking the time to review and comment on the games. I always look for them and enjoy the reading.

Edited on 08/09/2009 at 5:47:50 AM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 8, 09 9:38 AM
How do you skip the cut scenes and dialogue?

angelsmile32
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by angelsmile32 on Aug 8, 09 9:44 AM
to skip the whole dialoge scene move your mouse and arrows should pop up at the top of the screen,click on the middle arrow

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Aug 8, 09 9:44 AM
Move your mouse to the top center of the screen and a little thing will drop down with symbols on it. The first moves it along a bit quicker than normal, the second skips ahead by one scene and the third is a red X which I haven't worked up the nerve to click on.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 8, 09 10:31 AM
Thank you so much.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Aug 8, 09 10:42 AM
The red X at least sometimes skips all the scenes and goes straight to the puzzle. On some overlays the red X returns you back to the previous screen (map or menu). A bit confusing, yes, particularly since there are no tooltips when you mouseover the buttons.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 8, 09 12:20 PM
In spite of some things I very much don't like about it (I'll get to those . . .), I bought this game and am enjoying it.

The match-3 part is quite delicious (sorry, couldn't help myself!). There are different goals, different obstacles, different powerups, etc. throughout. Although the chaining type of game is my least favorite because of my stiff hands (I find clicking a LOT easier than holding the mouse button down while moving the mouse), I can live with it so long as there is no timer. So, given that the match-3 part is the main part of the game and it is a lot of fun, I can overlook the negatives.

Negatives for me:

The timed mini-games are a disaster for me, especially the "pipes" ones. I don't mind the HOGs, although they are quite sneaky.

The game boards are too similar. I really prefer the kind of match-3 where the game board changes.

There is no way to speed up the dialog in the story. I'm a fast reader, and I sure prefer to be able to click my way to the next piece of text. On my first go-through, I don't want to skip the background.

Still, as I said above, worth the money for me.

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Aug 8, 09 1:24 PM
I can't decide if I will buy it or not.

I love the graphics. The walnuts made me want to go find some to munch! I thought the strawberries were apples at first, and the peanuts look like sesame seeds to me. But the games are fun and I like the different powerups.

I would have liked the pipe games, but I can't move (or click) that fast.

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Aug 8, 09 5:48 PM
I have one game credit and tried bothe the demo for Grandpa's C.F. and the Tarot card mystery. I have decide to use my credit for GRANDPA'S C.FACT. MYST. While the tarot game seemed ok, it seemed typical of so many others. I love the graphics for this one. I like a good match 3 every once in awhile and I think this is the best one out since "Unwell Mel". Thouroughly enjoyed the one hour demo, a nice change and that is where my game credit is going!

Miss Clairol

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Aug 8, 09 6:07 PM
I personally think Cindy's Travels is better than this game, but both of them are good.

Go to: