lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[spoiler] Tips for the Chocomat "pipes" puzzle

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Aug 8, 09 8:33 AM
I'm sure that eventually somebody will post screen shots of the solution or even a full walkthrough. That's assuming that it's the same puzzle each time you play it on a given level. I'm stubborn enough that I want to solve it myself, but I hate being rushed. I'm playing without a timer, so why isn't this minigame without a timer too? Oh well.

What I am doing that works on the tough ones is take a screen shot, then pause the game and work on the screen shot in Paint. I don't try to rotate the pipes, just paint nice thick colorful lines on the path the chocolate will flow. I work from the start until I reach a place where I'm not sure which way to rotate a tile, then I work from the end of the path toward the start. Usually I get them close enough that I can tell which way to rotate the middle tiles without resorting to guessing and then having to erase.

Once I have my solution drawn, I do the beginning of EACH path , pausing the game to refresh my memory on what is needed. Don't finish a path until you are near the finish of all the paths, because as soon as one path finishes the chocolate starts flowing much faster.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Re:[spoiler] Tips for the Chocomat "pipes" puzzle

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 8, 09 11:57 AM
Thanks much for that helpful hint, LK, but I'm afraid with how slow my hands are I'll never get any of them. What stops me is not the failure to figure out the path, but the inability to move the pipes fast enough. You are absolutely right about one thing: very silly to have a relaxed main game and a mini-game (which is supposed to be a bit of fun on the side) with such a severe timer.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Aug 8, 09 12:28 PM
For setting the tiles in the game itself, I've had to set 2-3 tiles at the start of each path, pressing Pause after each set of 2-3 tiles, then repeat. It's ridiculous that a no-timer option game has a minigame that is timed THIS fast, but at least my own slow hands can cope by doing it this way. The chocolate will have started to flow by the time I have the first set of 2-3 tiles on each path, but by clicking Pause fast then resting my wrists a bit and checking my Paint solution I can stay ahead of the chocolate.

And at least on some of the boards the fast flow of choc doesn't start until I get all the paths made.

edit: I wonder if the developers of this game could be convinced to change the timer for us no-timer people? And I'd love to encourage them to make a game that is either nothing but the pipes puzzles (lots of randomly generated ones) with a timer/no-timer option or else put a button on the main menu of a game like this one that lets me go straight to the pipes puzzles to replay them. I enjoy trying to find the path, I just hate having to do it against a clock.

Edited on 08/08/2009 at 12:31:57 PM PST

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 8, 09 4:04 PM
I'm totally with you on that LK -- I also like pipe puzzles if I have the time to finish them (like in Pure Hidden -- especially liked the lotus pond with the yin-yang that turns into two koi). I think complaining (positively) to the developer does work. I complained about the lack of a no-timer option in Hidden Wonders of the Deep, and their second "volume" offered it.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Aug 9, 09 10:42 AM
I just noticed that if you right-click on a tile, it rotates the opposite way. Man that's going to be useful, because I have an infuriating tendency to click one too many times. Before this I've had to just click a bunch more times to rotate the same tile around again, and if I'm hurrying too much half the time I click too far *again*.

[Post New]by evasgramma on Sep 1, 09 4:40 PM
the pipes part is the only thing I really don't like about the game. Why isn't there an option to skip this part?? Or take the timer away.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Sep 1, 09 4:44 PM
But there IS an option to skip. Look at the bottom right. You have to wait until the gauge gets to the top, but then you can click the handle to skip the puzzle.

[Post New]by evasgramma on Sep 2, 09 3:27 AM
I can't see it because I'm playing on my Acer computer (smaller screen) and I am not able to disable the full screen option. I have emailed Big Fish and am waiting for an answer. I cannot see the entire screen on any level/challenge.

Anyone else having this problem?

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Sep 2, 09 5:39 AM
Netbooks and minilaptops have problems with a lot of games. Grandpa's Candy Factory in windowed mode is probably about 768 pixels tall (it's a bit less than the full height of my screen when I use 1280x800) so I doubt that you will ever be able to see the full screen using a resolution that is smaller than that. The final pipes puzzle has tiles that are almost as far down as the skip lever is, but I didn't need to use that bottom row. What is the highest resolution you can use?

If the game is not playable for you, BFG will likely offer to cancel your purchase and give you a game coupon. If you want me to post screen shots of my solution to a specific pipes puzzle, you need to ask me to do so.

[Post New]by inkymess on Sep 2, 09 3:24 PM
I just started this game a few days ago in "no timer" mode. The pipes puzzles started off pretty straightforward, then jumped into advanced mode--at least it did for me. I *believe* I am on the fourth puzzle, and am stuck. What are all the valves for? There is one intake valve, and the rest . . .? They don't spin when you click them. Is there something tied to the colors? Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I play on my laptop, and don't have a printer hooked up. Puzzles that take that much effort to solve lose their appeal to me. Thanks!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Sep 2, 09 3:45 PM
The valves with the arrows pointing to the center of the tile are end points. The ones with the round handles on them are where the chocolate starts flowing out. You need to make a path from a start to an end of the same color tile which took me a few tries to figure out.

This puzzle would be SO much more fun untimed, IMO.....

[Post New]by inkymess on Sep 2, 09 3:55 PM
Thank you! I have to go back and try it. Yes, it would be a LOT better if the pipes were untimed. It's enough of a challenge without that chocolate breathing down your neck! It's simply not enough time to enjoy the challenge, IMO. I've already purchased the game, so I'm looking for some kind of update or revision, or something of that sort to download to fix this. Thanks again!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Sep 2, 09 4:00 PM
Well there's always using the skip option, but I hate skipping minigames unless they are really impossible for me (like RTR's Whack a Troll).

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Sep 2, 09 6:07 PM
I took screenshots of the solutions to all 7 of the pipes puzzles, and uploaded them to one of my dormant websites. You can PM me for the url, or follow these instructions to find it:

1. google "otherwhen pirate etiquette" and take what is likely the top link in the list. It will say something like "aka More Ways to get yer Crewmates Mad at Ye".

2. remove the "etiquette.html" from the url and type in "grandpacandy" instead.

3. you should now see a directory with 7 files in it having names like "gcf-00003.png". these are the 7 screenshots. You can click to see one of them, or you can right click and "save link as" to download it to your hard drive. each screen shot is about one megabyte.

foondoon
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by foondoon on Aug 8, 12 9:42 PM
I really enjoyed this game, but it is severely lacking in instructions (mainly in the pipe minigames).

Go to: