bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Delaware St. John - The Curse of Midnight Manor Forum comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 9, 09 1:08 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Delaware St. John Volume 1. We're sure you have comments you would like to share with the community. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Delaware St. John Volume 1 does a great job of setting a very spooky atmosphere. The locations are designed very well, and the sound design is excellent. Haunting music plays constantly and is occasionally interspersed with eerie sounds like whispering and other strange noises. The gameplay is standard point and click, with the occasional timed sequence like running from the Hunter beast. Players must look for clues throughout the building, which is often done by simply moving the cursor around the screen to see if it changes to a hand or an eye to signify that something can be interacted with. Players really need to think about what is going on to figure out what to do next. Hints are given in the form of the ‘connect’ button which allows you to call your assistant Kelly for information. The only possible downside is that some customers may dislike the timed segments and a somewhat confusing maze about halfway through the game. All in all it is a great game for fans of ghosts, mysteries, and those who (like myself) love to be creeped out!

Game Modes:
There is only one game mode. There are a couple of timed segments.

Depth:
Medium with 2 cases to complete.

Similar to:
I would recommend Delaware St. John Volume 1 to fans of other spooky Adventure games like Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened and Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon.

Difficulty level:
This game can be a challenge to a newcomer to Adventure games, fortunataly there is plenty of help available if you get stuck.

Review by R.R.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

Re:Delaware St. John - The Curse of Midnight Manor Forum comments and reviews

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 9, 09 1:45 AM
This game came out in 2005. I'm pretty sure I've played the demo before. Got a bit tired of all the talking and also got lost! So didn't finish the hour. Checked a walkthrough to see where I went wrong. Doesn't seem to be that long a game, though I may be wrong.

[Post New]by angelbear76522 on Aug 9, 09 2:50 AM
hopefully there will be a walkthrough in the forum I don't like buying walkthroughs feel it is a waste of money. and I love adventure games and this one looks like a real winner excellent graphics and eerie music. but I guess I am not smart enough to get past to get into the locked rooms or the chest in the basement.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 9, 09 3:04 AM
You can just google for the walkthrough - don't need to pay.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Aug 9, 09 3:09 AM
For me - one of those wander around aimlessly, getting lost and accomplishing nothing!!!

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Aug 9, 09 3:14 AM
hello fishies, i am just downloading the trial and will give it a go but if its one of those "walk around aimlessly" ones that catsholidayhome says, i will not buy, it gives you a headache..lol x x x

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Aug 9, 09 3:34 AM
I've had lots of experience playing Adventure Games over the years and out of that I have come to sort of an internal list about what is good (for me) and bad. I'm afraid this game seems to pull heavily from the bad side of the list:

Lots of wandering and little reward. For example - very first thing you need to do is get the generator working. So you are not only turning in circles you are doing it in the dark in a blah basement room. IF you are lucky enough and wise enough to see the clue needed first time you are in the area good on ya. I was not. So I wandered in the basement for a really long time. This did not encourage me to continue, but I soldiered on.

Repeated dialog with no skip. A HUGE pet peeve of mine. You click an area and it says a phrase, usually indicating nothing of importance. Because the cursor change encompasses a wide area you have to be sure this bit is the same as that bit and you click it again. The phrase repeats. No right click to shut it off, the phrase plays out. ...and you'll hear it many times before done. For example - the game takes place in an old hotel. There are 4 million (slight exaggeration) doors. ALL of them seem to have clickable handles so of course ya got to try them all. "This door is locked:" Get used to that phrase.

Meaningless clickables. See comment about doors above. Add to that the Eye cursor indicating you need to look at paintings and pizza boxes and nightstands and stacks of boxes and a zillion (slight exaggeration) things that have no purpose that I can see other than to slow the game down. Possibly further on all these clickable spots will have purpose but I strongly doubt it. Additionally you are given what sounded like a cool gizmo that will collect imperceptible info in pictures and sound when you send it to be analyzed. Now if I have just witnessed a ghost would you not think that would be a time to try the gizmo? "I've analyzed the data and there's nothing unusual..." says your partner... over and over. With no way to know when to use it it's just more annoyance.

Adventure Games can be wonderful if there is a balance with the frustration of wandering with little lumps of sugary discovery to guide you along your path. This does not have that. Not to mention it's ugly. Very glad for the hour demo because I know this is a pass for me and with 3 minutes remaining on demo I could not recommend it to anyone.

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Aug 9, 09 3:43 AM
I downloaded the demo - but on the strength of what I'm reading I don't think I'll play, let alone buy! I have more than my fair share of unfinished large files that I have given up on because I hate wandering round aimlessly, or worse - continually retracing my steps! I really don't want to use a walkthrough for something like this either since it seems a bit pointless!

Thanks for the heads up folks!

cepe
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by cepe on Aug 9, 09 4:04 AM
I've played about 30 minutes of the demo. 5 minutes of that were the credits (which you cant skip) and the tutorial. Then I wandered about, trying locked doors etc. I did make it to the basement and switch on the generator. Then I started wandering about again (spot the trend?).

I then had a quick glimpse at the walkthrough - the next stages do not appear to be made available on the demo. I would describe the demo as an overlong tutorial on how to play these games. I might be wrong and missed an important clue, so adventure games fishes can you point me in the right direction but I've given up cos I'm bored with it.

The graphics are good, and the background sounds and the ghosts are very atmospheric but I'd like to read a review from someone who's been through the entire game before I even think of buying it.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Aug 9, 09 5:43 AM
I got all excited when I saw the title, but my hopes for a good game has been dashed reading the comments. I hate those 'wandering around endlessly, clicking on everything, and moving slowly along, having to hang on to the dialogue that won't let me skip after I have sped read (hmm, is that a real word, lol) everything. I love the hogs but haven't yet been able to get into a large file one. I have bought several and I, either get bored or so frustrated with the do nothing click heres, that I close out and save for a real drought in games. What I would really like is a large file adventure hog.....yeah that would be the ticket.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Aug 9, 09 6:07 AM
I'm with you WolfenDancer, a large file Adventure HOG would be great! Actually, beginning with RTR I think I see a trend in that direction. For about three (?)years, starting with MCF: Huntsville, a plain old HOG was just fine as long as it was well done. I still replay all the MCFs from time to time. But RTR really raised the bar (although to be fair Mortimer Beckett and others started down this path) of having to think about what to do with the objects that were found. I've been intrigued by this tendency of the genre to head in the direction of the "old-time" role-playing adventure games. I started out playing MYST and while it was a great game, I wouldn't want to play it again even if I could find a way to run it on my present computer: it's just too darned difficult. I want to enjoy a game, not feel that it's a chore. But now HOGs, which started out in such a simplistic form, are transforming into a new category. It will be interesting to see how far the developers are able to take this without crossing the line back into banging your head on the desk territory . In the meantime, I have made a promise to myself that I will NOT buy anymore large-file games. About a year ago a bought the DVDs of Syberia I and II. Since then I have loaded them onto and removed them from my computer twice. Just TOO frustrating - although, as everyone says they were visually stunning!

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Aug 9, 09 6:47 AM
Thank you all for the comments. I was going to buy this game without the demo, because I have no new games to play at this moment, but after reading your posts, forget it!

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Aug 9, 09 7:11 AM
hello again...i played..well, not exactly "played" about 10 mins, then gave up...as everyone says, by the time the credits have run and you have looked at the tutorial (which once you are watching you cant stop it )..i was fed up!!! all that hanging around waiting for the game to start and i knew i would not be buying it so i did not even bother carrying on, oh well,!!! x x

chick52
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by chick52 on Aug 9, 09 7:14 AM
Sorry but it sounds like its not for me either.

stupidanacrox
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by stupidanacrox on Aug 9, 09 7:24 AM
same here i uninstall after 10 minute. tutorial intro and credits were so boring (i wanna skip them..). i'll not buy this either finish the free hour.

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Aug 9, 09 7:47 AM
Added to endless waiting for the game to start, if one cannot hear the speaking, it is useless. I couldn't find any way to turn on instructions in print, so simply shut it down. Nope, not for me.

jerseyd1
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by jerseyd1 on Aug 9, 09 8:16 AM
I expected more. I went through the game with a walkthrough ( you only get a small portion of one of the 2 chapters)
in 34 minutes. Bad graphics, poor voice acting, little to do as far as gameplay. I vote no.

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Aug 9, 09 8:22 AM
Whenever I'm undecided about a game, I immediately head to the forum section for all of your opinions because they always help. Thank you Wolfenraindancer for your excellent explanation of why you didn't care for Deleware St, John. Every reason you mentioned are things that drive me crazy especially the endless wandering & thank you Poodlebear for expressing the views on what a good HOG/Adventure game can be such as RTR can be I agree with you 100 percent & hope the developers will head more in that direction. I still faithfully check each day to see what new is being offered.

mrsmeee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by mrsmeee on Aug 9, 09 8:50 AM
Well, sorry to disagree with you all but I love this game.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Aug 9, 09 8:54 AM
Hi Guys,

Just an FYI, we have a free walkthrough on the BFG Blog for Delaware St. John - The Curse of Midnight Forum. Just copy and paste the link below to access it.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/delaware-st-john-the-curse-of-midnight-manor-walkthrough/

Thanks!

Margie B

Go to: