Edited on 08/18/2015 at 5:21:38 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Magic Griddlers 2 here

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Aug 18, 15 5:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Magic Griddlers here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Magic Griddlers.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

shepherdmoon
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by shepherdmoon on Aug 18, 15 12:03 PM
First of all, let me say that this is my favorite type of game on BFG right now, and I've played every one that I've noticed on here (even if I decided not to buy it in the end). Comparatively, this is a challenging one...

I've gotten through the 13'th board. So far they are up to 10 x 15 grids. This is only the beginning, so I'm sure it gets much bigger. I didn't see any story mentioned in game, but apparently based on this website we are suppose to be freeing people trapped in a tower or something.... (maybe I missed the story when I skipped the tutorial?) The background graphics are pretty anyway. Well, if you're in for few frills and just basic challenging griddlers, this game may be for you.

So far I have never had to guess on any of them. All are solvable through logic, although there have been times even this early in the game where I was stuck for awhile, and had to stare at the board wondering if it could only be solved with a hint. Then, eventually, I saw a square that could be filled in that I didn't notice before, and things began to progress again. I think this is a sign of a well designed game.

Non-filled squares are NOT automatically filled in for you when you complete a row/column, but the numbers in the edges are crossed off, so it's readily apparent from that when you are done. You do not have to fill in the non-filled squares if you don't want to, so they're not there as time-wasters: they are for your benefit if you need to eliminate squares to help solve the puzzle. This makes it slightly more challenging than some other games of this kind.

There is only one color, and no fancy effects. There are hints and you may make a certain number of mistakes before being forced to try again. You gain money by playing which you can spend in the store to buy more hints and allowed mistakes. You are scored after each board on a 3-point scale. You earn keys for each point, which I assume are used to unlock future levels. If you make a mistake you miss a point. I'm not sure if using hints detracts from this, as I haven't needed to do that yet.

I'm liking the game right now because of the challenge, so I think I'll probably buy it. The one thing I'm annoyed with at this point is that many of the solved boards don't look like anything: they just look like random pixels. Maybe it is something and I'm just not seeing it. Either way, they don't tell you what it's suppose to be, so it's up to interpretation.

shanyem
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by shanyem on Aug 18, 15 4:50 PM
The first Magic Griddlers (for MAC) was GREAT! I love these games. Unfortunately the controls have changed. Since MAC's cannot use a reliable left/right click it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to NOT make a mistake - you cannot be sure if the mouse is actually clicking left or right. This makes the game VERY frustrating and MAC users shouldn't have to purchase a new mouse because the developers don't know the issue. I didn't buy the game because of this and usually I buy such games without even trying them! If the developers could change this ONE thing - I'd buy!

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

Not a buy

[Post New]by divaprods on Aug 19, 15 9:06 AM
I love these games and have bought several but not this one. There is only one color and there are no pictures to solve. This is too basic and too boring for me.

[Post New]by TerriA92021 on Aug 19, 15 12:57 PM
I bought the game before I realized that there is only one color and the grids do not make pictures. That makes it a true logic problem, but also makes it boring. Does it get better in later levels. I'm halfway through the second world.

shepherdmoon
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by shepherdmoon on Sep 17, 15 6:32 PM
I posted a review here earlier--I have some additional thoughts since I started the game. I just finished 4 out of 6 worlds.

Big Pro: I'm still enjoying this game because of the challenge. Many other developers of this type of game make the levels short and easy, and there aren't as many of them, so I finish the game too quickly. I would have finished this one a long time ago if it wasn't for that. There are a lot of levels here, and it takes time and thought to do each of them, so you get your money's worth in that regard.

Big Con: Even this far into the game, most of the completed pictures don't look like anything that I can make out. Those that do look like something, are like stick-figure pictures. A very young child could have drawn them. I would be a lot happier if the pictures were higher quality.

Little Con: I said in my earlier review that I hadn't run into a puzzle I had to guess at... well, now I have, but there are a small number of them. Using hints doesn't subtract from your score at the end, but if it's perfectly designed, you should never have to use hints. I have had to do this on maybe 3 puzzles so far, which is a tiny percentage. Before doing this I very carefully went down every row and column and looked at all the possibilities, so I don't think I missed anything I could have done without the guess/hint.

Another Little Con: The boards after 4/6th of the game are still no bigger than 20 by 15... Larger boards present more challenge, and nicer, more detailed pictures, which you'll never get in this game as they don't progress beyond the most simple of drawings. This makes the final pay-off of solving a puzzle less satisfying.

Go to: