SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

Re:PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville ™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by SMQMC on May 13, 11 8:23 PM
So many fishies have already given their comments and reviews that there isn't anything more to say about this game. However, I'll add that I love every single one of the Puppet series games. Terrific, fun, easy-to-difficult playing, so it should please just about everybody, fantastic graphics, good stories, music fitting the subject matter (although I turned it down after a while) and puzzles that I actually didn't skip like I usually do (just don't like them much) I can't imagine anybody not liking the PuppetShow games. Fantastic in my book! Am looking forward to more of the same sometime soon! Hooray to the devs for such wonderful ideas in these games! I give them a big gold star!

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on May 28, 11 11:07 PM
Love this and the other PuppetShow games in terms of playstyle, graphics, etc, but hate the inventory interface. It's a testament to how engrossing the game is that I even gave it a chance when I first had the inventory pop out in a fan in the lower left corner. I've since played other games in the series too, which I enjoy, but I have to be honest: If the story ever gets less interesting, I'd quit playing the games based on the inventory method alone.

This one had a fantastic story, quite creepy and fun.

ppvjeep
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by ppvjeep on Jun 27, 11 8:45 PM
Please make more of these! I've played all of them including the Collector's Editions. The graphics are beautiful, the music is right, and the overall story is complete. I had to take my time to see all of the details. Must play.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 13, 11 7:34 AM
Graphics – 2.5 stars
Story – 3 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 2.5 stars
Overall – 2.75 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Oct 11, 11 7:01 AM
Oh, I loved this game, especially the second time around! I find if I play the games a couple of times, the second time is always better.
The graphics are great, the story is good and I look forward to the next sequel.
Now, I'm on to playing 'Puppetshow: Souls of the Innocent'.

HiLupe
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by HiLupe on Oct 17, 11 8:30 AM
LOVE these PuppetShow games! Graphics are great and the puppets lend just the right amount of creepiness.

I've got all three PuppetShow games and am hoping that they come out with another!

[Post New]by BayouWoman on Nov 13, 11 5:33 PM
This game is very short and easy. A waste of money.

[Post New]by Adodson on Nov 14, 11 9:10 PM
I have just downloaded for iPad. And they charged me twice. The game will not completely. There are hidden object sections & games that I am not allowed access to. What do I do.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 1, 12 12:52 PM
Is nothing I can add that have not been said already about this beautiful game, beside that Is one of my favorites as the Puppet Show series are all my favorites in BF.

This one was my first one and I was so mesmerized by the quality of the game that I because hook on them.

I waited patiently after this first game for the next ones and I was no disappointed.

[Post New]by Readwritelove on Jan 7, 12 4:16 PM
Easily one of my favorites. The music was particularly gripping! Well done, big fish!

[Post New]by GuntherRouhaus on Apr 21, 12 3:44 PM
Finished the demo in 22 minutes... anyone beat that time?

[Post New]by slickeddie99 on May 5, 12 8:06 PM
Game was fun, but went really quick. It could use a few more puzzles and areas to go to.
Thanks
Ed

stonermom
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by stonermom on Dec 12, 12 6:11 PM
I just finished playing and found it beautifully done and challenging enough not to make me want to quit because of difficulty. Loved the story and how it all came out. I'd definitely recommend for purchase.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 17, 13 4:08 AM
Simple But Elegant Game

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

What a treat it is to be playing Mystery Of Joyville again. The GRAPHICS are simply beautiful – bright, colourful, exquisitely detailed. Even the ‘ugly’ scenes look wonderful.

Compared to the later PuppetShow games, Joyville is very simplistic, and very much a HO GAME. There are HOGs everywhere you turn, and each list is full of items such as “4 clocks”, so you get to stay put for quite a while. There is some INTERACTION, but it is not indicated on the LIST, only by sparkles.

The PUZZLES were delightfully simple; in a couple of cases I was waiting for catch! For me to call a puzzle easy, it must be very simple indeed.

Some of the appeal of this game is, in fact, its simplicity.

The story is simplicity itself. You are asked to investigate the disappearance of a young boy. His family inform of a rash of disappearances from the town that seem to be connected to the old puppet theatre. So you investigate the theatre.

I’d liked that there is NO MAP, NO HINT outside HOGs, NO VOICEOVERS, NO VIDEO CUTSCENES. I’m not saying I’d want all games to go back to that quieter game style, but it is nice for a change.

I also love the way animation is implied by a series of stills.

I got a real buzz out of playing this little gem.

I recommend this game!

[Post New]by Miniatures1 on Jul 9, 13 2:02 PM
Starting not to like the game a hidden object scene one after the other come on!!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 11, 13 2:09 PM
HOS, HOS, HOS, HOS, puzzle, HOS, HOS, HOS...

Good grief!! Is there any storyline? All I see are HOS and some puzzles. Three HOS in less than 5 minutes? And the interaction? What interaction? Opening a cupboard door is interaction?? The HOS are remarkably easy and can be completed in a few minutes. No wonder this game is so short! I fell asleep during the third of a trio of HOS. Seriously.

The music is the same boring music that is used over and over and over in just about every game from this dev.

If this game does not improve and improve quickly I am going to feel very ripped off. I bought it because of the dev and because of all the positive reviews. I like HOS if they are part of the story but if I want to just play HOS I'll play a Popcap game and be done with it.

Creepiness? I didn't read any disclaimer about that. It's not creepy so far; it's boring. I wish it were creepy; I love creepy. This game is not creepy in any sense of the world. And it's not an "adult" game, either.

I already know the ending to another one of the games in this series as someone posted it without a spoiler alert and it was not removed by the moderator.

Why am I even bothering?

Edited on 07/11/2013 at 2:23:55 PM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 27, 13 2:37 AM
Jurinne wrote:HOS, HOS, HOS, HOS, puzzle, HOS, HOS, HOS...

Good grief!! Is there any storyline? All I see are HOS and some puzzles. Three HOS in less than 5 minutes? And the interaction? What interaction? Opening a cupboard door is interaction?? The HOS are remarkably easy and can be completed in a few minutes. No wonder this game is so short! I fell asleep during the third of a trio of HOS. Seriously.

The music is the same boring music that is used over and over and over in just about every game from this dev.

[...]I like HOS if they are part of the story but if I want to just play HOS I'll play a Popcap game and be done with it.

Creepiness? I didn't read any disclaimer about that. It's not creepy so far; it's boring. I wish it were creepy; I love creepy. This game is not creepy in any sense of the world. And it's not an "adult" game, either.

[...]

Why am I even bothering?

Thank you, Jurinne. I can honestly say DITTO to all of the above. Plus I hated the fan-style inventory. After 32 minutes of playing the demo, it's more thumbs down and a big snooze from me.

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Jan 25, 14 1:04 PM
Sorry, but this game just did not do it for me. Right from the beginning, I just couldn't seem to get into it.

Every time I turned a corner I was running into a HOP. Mind you, I like these in a game, but not an over abundance of them. I would open a door, run into another HOP and think, "You've got to be kidding me. Another one?"

Some of the mini games had poor or no instructions. I've been playing these games for a long time now so for some of them I knew what to do. If I was new player, I'd have been stumped for sure.

No voiceovers...disappointing. No hint button (except for the HOP)...really? However I found that the game was quite easy and didn't need it. I think this is the first game that had no hint button.

One thing that really annoyed me was so many unneeded comments. I'd click on a sparkle and get a comment like "the fire is still burning. Someone must still be living here." Wow...good thing they pointed that out to me. Sure helped me with the game.....not.

The one good thing about the game is the graphics. Beautiful graphics with nice detail.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, but had to give my honest review.

Edited on 04/13/2014 at 8:12:43 AM PST

Go to: