Edited on 08/20/2015 at 6:07:55 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Hotel: Phoenix Collector’s Edition here

[Post New]by 9otters on Aug 20, 15 1:38 AM
Based on demo...

Can't say I've ever been a Haunted Hotel fan, and I didn't see anything here that will make me change my mind. Having just played a couple of games from the Mad world, this one didn't hold any excitement for me. Perhaps some will be interested in finding out what happens with the story.

Playing the demo, I found it to mostly be an "open-this-with-that" game, just like the last one. Nothing "special", imo, as far as HOs and mini-games were concerned. For those who are interested...

Strategy guide shows six chapters, Bonus game, and where to find the morphing objects, collectibles, and puzzle pieces. Good graphics, ok music and voice-overs.

21 morphing objects found in the regular scenes. A "hand" appears when the cursor passes over them so, no real challenge involved in finding them. Pull-out on the right shows a count of how many we've found.

12 "figurines" found make a collection of statuettes of mythical birds, with a bit of history on each one.

"Puzzle" pieces to collect, in plain sight, complete a "stained glass" window. From what I could see, I'm GUESSING it will be a phoenix. As you collect them, they are placed in the window, so I cannot say from playing the demo if it will end up being an actual puzzle.

Looks like there are 18 achievements, all performance-based.

A "secret room", unlocked after completing main and bonus games. I don't know if it is the standard secret room we've seen before, where several mini-games and HOs are completed for time and accuracy, because I only played the demo.

Replay of 11 mini-games and 13 HOPs. Locking inventory. Standard jump map. Hint button transports to other locations. Four levels of difficulty, one is "custom". Same array of regular CE extras such as wallpaper, etc.

Happy gaming!

edit: Played with no issues on a PC, Windows 7 Home Professional, 64 bit.

Edited on 08/20/2015 at 2:20:34 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Aug 20, 15 6:09 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Haunted Hotel: Phoenix Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Haunted Hotel: Phoenix Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Aug 20, 15 8:48 AM
This could be a "buy" for me at the weekend with an offer or something, but I wouldn't pay full price to be honest.....it's a nice enough game to while away a lazy sunday afternoon, but no real WOW factor

The graphics, as always from this dev, are superb, and the HO's and puzzles nice and easy....maybe that'll get harder as the game progresses? I liked the drawn characters and the dialogue is not too long winded to get fed up with.

I already have a couple in this series, but I don't think it matters if you haven't as they are stand alone games in their own right.

3 out of 5 for me

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Aug 20, 15 12:05 PM
Just mediocre for me also. I have liked the other haunted hotel games but this one just leaves me a bit bored.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Aug 20, 15 8:03 PM
The story may say Oregon but the graphics are strictly European. The hotel reception area is very reminiscent of another game set in a hotel. Devs get an F for originality.

I found the game quite boring without any WOW factor, just the same old, same old storyline. Same graphics, cartoonish art work & VERY annoying background music.

I especially like the molecule that was stuck in ice. The devs suspended reality for a moment & wanted us to believe that, while the ice was sitting on the counter, it was still frozen without being in the freezer.

Just another nondescript game. Definitely try before you buy.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Aug 21, 15 10:52 PM
Remember when we were excited to see a new game from the Pachyderm?!!! Well, this ain't it.. Graphics were very good, storyline was kind of interesting, but then there's the game play. Morphing and collectible items are spotted easily by your cursor turning into a hand. Gee, thanks for the challenge. The whole "find this to put that there" is very linear and unexciting. And speaking of unexciting, lets get to the HOS. Strictly a list with one or two interactive items which were not very interactive. I do seem to recall that they have been steadily going down hill for a couple of years now and this really seals the deal. Not even sure that I'll spend a PCC on the SE quite frankly. I am rather sorry to say it, really, as this was a great company that has either been bought out by unimaginative dopes or just has burned out entirely.

[Post New]by buddietj on Aug 23, 15 12:18 AM

Edited on 08/27/2015 at 10:42:57 AM PST

Bar80
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Bar80 on Aug 23, 15 4:40 AM

Edited on 08/27/2015 at 11:08:16 AM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Aug 23, 15 6:16 AM
Length - well, it depends on how fast you go through the game, skip mini-games or look up your way in the SG. On the whole it has the usual CE length. It is not a difficult game, more or less straight forward.

Would say, it is worth CE price in a good sale (60 to 65%) esp. for members, they can have a CE for SE price in an appropriate sale.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 23, 15 3:46 PM
I attempted the demo, but right now (August 2015) this game is full of the ravages of fire! I live in California and have family in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. At this time we are facing a crises of fires. So I can't fairly rate this game because the it makes me so uncomfortable. Maybe I'll retry next year and continue far enough into the game to decide if I like it.

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Aug 26, 15 10:11 AM
Seemed like a good, but once again, a stupid and unlogical minigame destroyed it for me. You get a map, which is incorrect, so you have to guess you way out. Instead of using the map. Thank god I didn't buy this. Lately there has been to many games with annoying and unlogical minigames. But this is definately not a buy for me.

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Aug 26, 15 10:13 AM
[Removed by Moderator]

I'm not sure. Before I encountered the worst mingame i have ever played (a map minigame, where the map is incorrect) I would have said go for it. But that annoying minigame destroyed it for me, but if you don't mind skipping some minigames, then I say go for it. But I have not even played the demo to end yet, and I don't think I will, because of that stupid minigame.

Edited on 08/27/2015 at 11:16:36 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Aug 27, 15 11:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to pop in here and thank players for taking the time to post their reviews on this particular game. I'd also like to remind Forum users of the Review Guidelines, specifically,

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Haunted Hotel: Phoenix Collector's Edition

and

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you are in need of hints in how to progress in this particular game, please start a brand new thread by clicking on the blue Create New Discussion button within this game forum. We ask that this thread be for Reviews only.

Thank you for your understanding. Feel free to PM any of the moderators if you have any questions.

bfgBellerophon

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Aug 29, 15 3:14 PM
Based on completed game and bonus chapter

The Haunted Hotel series should really be about a haunted hotel. Don't you think? Well, there is no haunting whatsoever and this is the flimsiest excuse for a hotel ever. So now that's out of the way, I shall attempt to review the game I played, regardless of the title that does not, in any way, describe the game.

Like the last Elephant game I played (MT: Winterpoint Tragedy), this one starts with a whimper and ends with a bang. The bonus chapter was the best part and had unique and challenging mini-games and, in my opinion, a more intriguing story. I have always had a beef with Elephant that the first part of their games were incredibly flashy and then petered out. No more of that! You want the good stuff? You need the CE. That's fine with me. The feeling I have at the end of a game is the one that generally sticks with me.

The collectibles and morphing objects were random. You never know when you're going to see them. I like the added challenge of that and all continue into the bonus.

HOP scenes were pretty basic, but then I like that. I don't need every game I play trying to be more innovative than the last to the point that the HOP scenes become insane rather than an exercise in what they were originally intended to be. HOPs are HOPs and they weren't bad.

Puzzles varied in intensity. I won't go through them and ruin any surprises, but the bonus had an obstacle course of sorts that I found fun and other unique types of puzzles.

I see some did not like the maze in the main game, and I get that. Mazes are not for everyone and casual games have long handed you maps that stay on screen to make sure players never get lost. I, on the other hand, have been longing for a maze I could get lost in for some time. I didn't find one in a game like Maze Subject 360. The Maze in that title is as appropriate as Haunted Hotel in this one! The maze in this game is as close as a casual game will get, so I was happy to take what I was served. Though be warned, if you don't like mazes, you will most definitely not be happy with this little thing. The map comes up and shows a path and then drops you in the maze without it. This is not a tactic that everyone will find enjoyable. (This is not a large maze, btw)

I recommend this CE in order to get everything through the bonus game.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 30, 15 12:43 PM
I really enjoyed this game - didn't find it boring at all. Must be my old age!! Anyway, I was reading the reviews and the thread about the mini-game with the maze and the bear, well, that one got me too. I finally game up, which really P.O'd me, cuz I do enjoy that type of game. But just couldn't get past the bear, no matter how many times (25, 30, I lost count), I tried. My Irish stubbornness wore out!! Anyway, I did enjoy the game, with the exception of frustration with a few of the mini-games. I thought the graphics were very good, music fine, storyline a little far fetched (but aren't most anymore?!), and the HOS were changed up enough to not get boring. I do agree with "Bartsister" with the comment about the name of the game. I have ALL the Haunted Hotel games, and this has nothing to do with a haunting or really a hotel. If any of you have played the first or second or third Haunted Hotel games, you can see the theme. In the last few Haunted Hotel games, they have really gone off track as far as the name goes. Well, enough of that. Play the game for the enjoyment of it, and forget the name!! Happy Gaming and a Happy and Safe Labor Day for all of us that celebrate it.

feenix

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 30, 15 12:48 PM
By the way, I meant "gave" up, not "game" up in my review about the maze. Sorry, but that annoyed me so, that I had to post another comment!!

feenix

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 30, 15 4:31 PM
Hello friends! Well, here we have #9 in this series. Naturally, I have all of the others. You have the standard nice colors, even with a bit more blue than I care for, but not over-powering. Graphics are very well done and are very clear. Game play was very good, except for an occasional lag between scenes or actions. Not sure why this is happening so frequently with these games, but quite annoying. Voice overs are well done and actually have emotion, e.g. fear, anxiety, etc. Music is a quiet creepy and gives you the feel that something is going to happen, but is not over done at all. I actually left the music turned up, which I seldom ever do. I did not have anything jump out at me during the demo, no bright lights or snakes either.

HOPs are varied, with interactive lists, match pairs and find parts to complete an item for the inventory. They are fairly clear and items are not difficult to find. These are pretty well done. Puzzles have a little challenge to them, but are not difficult. Just take your time, you'll get it. I did not run across a great number of HOPs or puzzles, but there is enough going on to keep you moving. Jump map is set up very nicely and is easy to follow. Areas of interest are clearly marked. Hint system works very well and you do have a transport feature for longer distances. Very helpful, since you do return to the same locations more than once.

There are a lot of achievements in this game, but nothing too difficult to achieve. I really liked the multiple collectibles in this one as well, e.g. 21 morphing objects, 20 stained glass puzzle pieces and 12 mythical creature figurines. None of these are difficult to find, but you definitely have to be looking for them. I found it easy to get wrapped up in the game and forget to pick up the collectible, but I did manage to go back and get them. Thanks to the devs for including the collectibles in their demo SG.

I beta tested this one a while back and really liked it. You are constantly on the move and have something to do in every scene. The story is a little different than the others in this series, but I liked it, and it kept me wanting more. So far, I haven't run across anything "scary," and nothing jumped out at me during the demo. I definitely have the need to get this one and see what happens. Yes, I am going to add this one to my ever growing collection. I think all levels of players will find this one interesting, fun and challenging. Do I think it is worth the CE price...yes. Do I think it is worth 5 stars...it would be if the game play flowed better and did not have any lag between scenes. It is a small thing, but still pretty big deal for me, so I give it 4.5.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

jill165x
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by jill165x on Sep 25, 15 9:52 AM
I like the Haunted Hotel series. I enjoyed the story very much and like how they blend in references/cameos the Mystery Tracker series. I had no tech issues.

This one seemed a little short. I played the whole game, plus bonus chapter in about 3 hours. No skipping puzzles, no using the hint button. I didn't need the Strategy Guide at all. I collected all of the morphing objecta, the bird statues, and the puzzle pieces. The only achievement i did not get is the one for taking longer than 10 minutes to do a hop.

The Secret Room in the Extras was worth a play through.

Go to: