bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Build-a-Lot 4: Power Source comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 12, 09 1:03 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Build-a-lot 4: Power Source. We're sure you have comments you would like to share with the community. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Enjoy a building expedition in the backyards of America in Build-a-lot 4: Power Source, an exciting challenge to keep clean energy flowing through the heartland of the States! Since clean energy is still an emerging technology, this game does a wonderful job of joining current affairs with invigorating strategizing and virtual building that keeps you coming back for more. With an extremely detailed game tutorial, any new Time Management player can gain useful tips on how to succeed at not only this game but the entire genre as well. You are able to earn up to 24 awards for excellence in game play, although it may take a few tries for a regular player to earn them. The lovely scenes you build upon are designed beautifully and exemplify the splendor of the different areas you visit. Although it can be frustrating to have tasks added mid-level, the tasks that are added offer difficulty for advanced players and help new players become more versatile. Overall, this is a well designed game that dares any potential master builder to join in the excitement!

Game Modes:
This game is available in either full screen or windowed mode, but only offers a timed mode for the Main, Challenge and Expert Campaigns. For less stressful game play you can always play the Casual Mode, which is untimed.

Depth:
There are 45 Levels in the Main Campaign, 10 Levels in the Challenge Campaign and another 10 Levels within the Expert Campaign. You’re also able to play in Casual Mode, which offers 6 neighborhoods to be restored. And because the levels load differently each time you play, you might just find yourself playing this game again and again.

Similar to:
For other games focused on building, you can also try Build-a-lot 3: Passport to Europe, Hotel Mogul, Aquapolis or Wonderburg.

Difficulty level:
This game sticks to the difficulty in the previous Build-a-lot games and challenges the player’s strategizing skills, so any patient player would be able to enjoy it.

Reviewed by L.D.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:Build-a-Lot 4: Power Source comments and reviews

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 12, 09 3:34 AM
You have to be in awe of games that have the longevity and popularity to demand a fourth installment and by the fourth you expect it to be stale. Especially when others have been copying your style of game in between and could easily promote BAL burnout.

I find BAL games fun, yes they are all similar but when in the mood it is great to have a new one rather than play the same agan- and BAL 4 has new features with the power source twist that keeps you on your toes.

I think it is a good addition to the series. I encourage everyone to download the demo and give it a whirl

MsCIn513
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by MsCIn513 on Aug 12, 09 4:55 AM
I like this game alot however, I have had a problem already. I keep getting this error message and when I restart the game I have to start all over . It has done this 3 times already. I really wish they would fix it. I love Build-a-lot and since I purchased it I want to play it through.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Aug 12, 09 4:59 AM
I love the BAL series so any opinions I have are biased toward that. It's similar to the rest, but more challenging. I had to replay three levels so far. One toward the beginning which I never had to do with the other three. Similar challenges, time restraints, except now they tossed in power stations. The only thing that I can find to complain about, that is bugging me (not really it just makes it more challenging)about the game, is when the power stations break down. They break down a lot the further you get in the game. I'm now on level 25, all with ribbons so far. Knock on wood. I couldn't stop! Also the limited spaces. I wish they would have given us more spaces so we could get cheaper labor and wood, but that isn't always possible. It's better in this one to just concentrate strictly on the goals, especially the further you get. Still love the game and it's a great addition to the first three.

yaf1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by yaf1 on Aug 12, 09 8:56 AM
Where is the total campaign earnings figure kept? It can't be that your total
campaign income is not available!!!

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Aug 12, 09 9:00 AM
Yeah!!! I've Been waiting for BF to get this game. I tested it and also played the demo on another site , but a couldn't wait for BF to get it. I'm off to down load it right now and only hope that I don't get too hooked on it today since I do have work to do!!!

The changes made in BAL 4 really will challenges us to keep on our toes.

I give it a and 5 stars out of 5!!!!

[Post New]by larascupboard on Aug 12, 09 6:19 PM
yaf1 wrote:Where is the total campaign earnings figure kept? It can't be that your total

This game doesn't apprear to keep track of income/assets like the previous games... unfortunately. Therefore complete the game goals and move on. There is no need to buy as many properties as you can and upgrade them. Which does suck and so far I am at level 32 and have easily won the blue ribbon all the way thru so far. This is a much easier version of Build-A-Lot than the previous 3 games.

phoebe222
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by phoebe222 on Aug 13, 09 1:10 AM
I've reached level 43, without a single minute of break. So now I'm really tired but I did enjoy what I have seen so far. It has given me a good challenge, not too difficult, just the right amount for me. I've learned that after level 45, there will be 10 challenge levels and 10 expert levels. That's scary, I can't imagine how complicated it will get.

BAL games never disappoint me, 5 stars as usual

[Post New]by PhaedrasPhantasy on Aug 13, 09 7:48 PM
I hate it that the game doesn't save, and also I get that "access violation error" mentioned above. The game folds and you start all over. Am on the 5th start over, and each time my name is not in there even....Am doing a reinstall, guess we'll see........

[Post New]by PhaedrasPhantasy on Aug 13, 09 7:50 PM
larascupboard wrote:
yaf1 wrote:Where is the total campaign earnings figure kept? It can't be that your total

This game doesn't apprear to keep track of income/assets like the previous games... unfortunately. Therefore complete the game goals and move on. There is no need to buy as many properties as you can and upgrade them. Which does suck and so far I am at level 32 and have easily won the blue ribbon all the way thru so far. This is a much easier version of Build-A-Lot than the previous 3 games.

Sure it is! It's on the tab to the left, about mid way down......

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Aug 13, 09 9:10 PM
I bought BAL 4 and wish I hadn't. I played the free hour from HipSoft and had no problems whatsoever with it. Then, after I bought the game from BF and started playing I felt like I was playing a 'watered down' version or something. The game is jerky and drives me insane! I have only played 1 or 2 levels a day since buying it because it is so slow and jerky at times. There have been many posts on problems on another thread, but no one has given any answer to what the problem is or how to fix it. Funny that there was no problem with the HS version but there is with the BF version. I just wanna play my game with no problems, sigh!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 14, 09 8:48 AM
I like all the games von den Bal series, they are very hard games, not so easy as Be Rich. Maybe I will purchase it, but I`m not sure in the moment.

yaf1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by yaf1 on Aug 15, 09 2:16 PM
I have mastered all the levels of BAL 1 - 3 and have accumularted over 760 billion in total earnings. For me getting the totals up is the fun part. I feel that BAL 4 was a total waste of a game credit for me as (unlike BAL 1 - 3) it does not keep a running total earings for a single player. Next time a BAl game comes out I will use the 60 minute trial to see if I want it. BAL 4 is, for me a BUST>

[Post New]by amy331 on Aug 15, 09 8:51 PM
Awesome game but, this game keeps crashing which is very annoying... Does anyone know of an update????

[Post New]by pippette on Aug 15, 09 11:23 PM
i love all my big fish games but i'm disappointed that with my build a lot 4 game cannot be saved with or wit out error message...does anyone have a solution for it....please?.....
cheers

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Aug 16, 09 2:19 AM
It was working find for me for the demo but either they're getting too similar or I've just played enough of these. I used to be addicted to them! Maybe I'll wait another year and it will be fun again. Looks like they did a great job, though, for those who still want more (and don't have crashes )

[Post New]by IantheShelley on Aug 16, 09 6:49 AM
It keeps crashing--AFTER I purchased the full version, which is disappointing, to say the least. I feel like I wasted money on a game that does not work. The quality is poor on this game, which is sad.

Am I the only person who finds this game difficult?

[Post New]by great_blues_hero on Aug 16, 09 4:57 PM
So far, I find BAL 4 to be the hardest of the 4. I LOVED BAL 2, really liked BAL 1, thought 3 was a little harder but still cool...and am scratching my head over this one.

I have trouble ever having enough cash in this game. Either I have no power, or no money. I can't finish the levels in blue ribbon time either. Maybe I should have played the tutorial? I spend a lot of time either selling all my houses (and so can't get the goals or keep any houses to have a stream of income), or waiting for the income to add up so I can buy more materials or property. Am I missing something?

I'm also frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a way to tell how much energy will be consumed by new buildings. I wish there was a figure on that or something so you would know for sure when a new building will take you over the top on the power meter. Buidings like the workshop and garden center use up way more power than I anticipate, so then I get a total blackout and have no income and no way to get any.

I dunno. I'm not crazy about this one. But maybe I'm doing it wrong.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

Am I the only person who finds this game difficult?

[Post New]by robin94122 on Aug 16, 09 8:29 PM
great_blues_hero wrote:So far, I find BAL 4 to be the hardest of the 4. I LOVED BAL 2, really liked BAL 1, thought 3 was a little harder but still cool...and am scratching my head over this one.

I have trouble ever having enough cash in this game. Either I have no power, or no money. I can't finish the levels in blue ribbon time either. Maybe I should have played the tutorial? I spend a lot of time either selling all my houses (and so can't get the goals or keep any houses to have a stream of income), or waiting for the income to add up so I can buy more materials or property. Am I missing something?

I'm also frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a way to tell how much energy will be consumed by new buildings. I wish there was a figure on that or something so you would know for sure when a new building will take you over the top on the power meter. Buidings like the workshop and garden center use up way more power than I anticipate, so then I get a total blackout and have no income and no way to get any.

I dunno. I'm not crazy about this one. But maybe I'm doing it wrong.

There's actually nothing in the tutorial about the power features, so you didn't miss anything there.
Have you had a chance to look at the Blog walkthrough (available from the link posted on the game page)? It should help.

You do have to be willing to work in the dark part of the time. When you're in a black-out, you can do everything except collect rent. You can still buy, sell, build, demolish, upgrade, and add Energy Savers. So a lot of the successful Speedy strategies involve building the biggest house you can afford, selling it for cash, going into a black-out, and then using the cash to buy materials to build a power generator and some kind of income property.

The shops are also useful at the higher levels, although they do require a lot of power. But a Fancy Cinema earns a minimum of $16,000 per cycle can easily earn over $100,000 per cycle if you have enough houses in the neighborhood. That can help a lot as well.

I agree that BAL 4 is by far the hardest of the series, and also I, too, would have liked to see power usage put into number form, but the game is really fun once you catch on to some of the useful strategies, and hopefully the walkthrough will give you some ideas.

Robin

popcorn_20000
Marlin
Marlin
8,219 Posts

[Post New]by popcorn_20000 on Aug 16, 09 9:18 PM
I did the hour trial, and was enjoying it enough that I brought it. HOWEVER when I went back to continue my game, it had not saved my progress, so the hour I just played was wasted because I now have to restart. Not happy....

Go to: