Game will not play after downloading

[Post New]by FayeLady on Aug 13, 09 6:51 PM
After I have paid and downloaded games Blackwell Convergence will not load to play - please help - Novice here.

Thanks, Faye

naomi4195
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Re:Game will not play after downloading

[Post New]by naomi4195 on Aug 13, 09 8:12 PM
I am having the same problem, did you find a solution?

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Aug 13, 09 8:16 PM
I have just sent a message to technical suppport. Do you get an error response that the graphics mode failedf to create Direct 3D Device? I have a fairly new PC and am on Vista. I have never had this response before with any other game I've downloaded.

[Post New]by bananaannabeth on Aug 13, 09 10:21 PM
I get a message about an AGS Editor. Anyone know what this is?

[Post New]by FayeLady on Aug 13, 09 10:34 PM
I did get that message as posted - hope techs can help. Thanks for response - Faye

[Post New]by FayeLady on Aug 13, 09 10:36 PM
my last response was about the graphics failure or something like you said

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Aug 14, 09 8:09 AM
I just heard back from tech support & they said this is an easy fix. Their instructions were the following:
go to C:\Program Files\The Blackwell Convergence
Double click on winsetup.exe file
You will see a driver box with Direct 3D9 highlighted. This needs to be changed to Direct Draw 5
Save and Play.

Hope this works for you.

Word_Dudely
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by Word_Dudely on Aug 14, 09 8:52 AM
Another thing to try is updating directx to the most recent version. The microsoft result from a google search for "directx web installer" (should be the first) might be the trick you need.

Word_Dudely
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by Word_Dudely on Aug 14, 09 12:39 PM
And there is now an installer on the game too, so try downloading and installing it again if the above tricks didn't work.

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Aug 14, 09 12:58 PM
Yea me too, I have read the blogs about changing your screen resolution, but quite frankly I just want to play a game with my computer the way it is, I have the latest updates on my laptop so I know it is not my computer, so I am not gonna even bother with this one

[Post New]by loopy1966uk on Aug 15, 09 5:10 AM
I was disappointed to find I was being asked to change the resolution to 600x400 which is not one of the options I have. I am running this on Windows Vista and the closest I could find was 600x480 but it still would not work so I then had to mess about for ages trying to return the resolution to the original settings which was complicated because at 600x480 I lost the 'Apply' box off the bottom of the screen so I had to do it in steps. Why are the Blackwell games so complicated? They look like good games but the first one doesn't have a walkthrough anywhere so I get stuck and waste time out of the hours trial figuring things out that I would probably kick myself over if I read the walkthrough! The second game has a walkthrough but no matter what I try I always get stuck on the same part so have never completed it, Now with this new game I can't even play it at all so I'm gutted!

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Aug 15, 09 9:54 AM
I reinstalled the game & was instructed to install the microsoft DirectX which I did, but I still get the same error message. I'v decided to give up on this game. I have never had this problem with any other game & it's just too frustrating to continue to get this one up and running. Besides, for some reason, I only have 14 minutes left on the demo even though it has never played.

tretein5
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by tretein5 on Aug 15, 09 10:10 AM
Wow, I too had the same problem with the game install. The error being about Direct X. Finally gave up on this game and tried the new one for Aug. 15 "Autumn Treasures" only to have a problem with the game that MANY people have reported in the forum. I just switched from PlayFirst to BigFish this past month and am wondering now if I should have stayed where I was as I never had any problems. The very first game I downloaded from BF had problems as well and customer support was quick to respond and to give me a free voucher. I was very grateful for the 'freebie' but three problems in the first month of my membership just doesn't seem worth it.

tretein5
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by tretein5 on Aug 15, 09 10:14 AM
Just great, went back to "Autumn Treasures" and it now says I only have 30 mins. left to play. What the heck is up with that? I never even got to OPEN the game, how can I only have 30 mins. left? I came to BF because I like Margie B.'s walkthroughs but the frustration of just installing BF games, just isn't worth it.

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Aug 15, 09 11:47 AM
First I want to welcome tretein5 to the Big Fish forum & secondly I want to reassure our new member that Big Fish is an excellent game club. I have belonged for about two years and during this time have purchased well over 100 games. The problems with certain games have been few and far between & all have been resolved with the excellent customer service that Big Fish offers. My one exception has been the Blackwell Convergence which has gone beyond frustrating. I'm very sorry to hear that the very next game you tried also ran into problems. I have Autumn Treasures and was fortunate enough not to encounter any of the issues that I've seen mentioned, but it looks as if Big Fish has already remedied the glitch.
Stick with , you won't be sorry.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Aug 17, 09 10:18 AM
Honestly, once I did get the game going it was not really worth it.

The actual file path in Vista is C:\Program Files\bigfishgames\The Blackwell Convergence

And I did not install the DirectX when prompted but opted to keep the version I had. The switch to the alternate Direct Draw 5 did it for me.

[Post New]by ladyjin on Sep 1, 10 5:42 AM
by goldens on August 14, 8:09 AM
I just heard back from tech support & they said this is an easy fix. Their instructions were the following:
go to C:\Program Files\The Blackwell Convergence
Double click on winsetup.exe file
You will see a driver box with Direct 3D9 highlighted. This needs to be changed to Direct Draw 5
Save and Play.

i went into programes ect and couldnt find the winseup.exe file ????

buckeyelibra
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by buckeyelibra on Sep 3, 10 8:48 AM
while downloading the game it said to install Direct X. So I did and continued downloading. Then it wouldn't play. Got an error message and went to the boards for answers. Did the change from 3D9 to Direct Draw 5 and it still wouldn't open. After trying to get this game to play for 10 mins. the game said my demo time was up!!!! I wanted to play this game but instead have deleted it. Won't bother with any other Blackwell games. Wonder why BF even bothered with this game since so many people are having problems.

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Sep 3, 10 9:33 AM
Hey Fishies,

If you're having troubles getting the game to play, you may want to check to see that your system is up to date. Here is a great help article that can guide you through these steps:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

And making sure that Direct X is up to date is always helpful:

Direct X

If you need any further assistance, please contact Tech Support by clicking on the green envelope to the right then clicking "Contact Us" (bottom left) of the next page to reach the online web form. To submit the form, first click "Check for Answers" to visit the Help pages, and if you still can't find an answer, you will then be able to click the "Submit" button to send your ticket to our reps.

If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can connect to Live Chat for real-time support through your "My Game Club" page. Chat hours are Monday through Friday 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM PST.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread so that all tech issues can remain in the main thread, but please continue to post any issues here.

Thank you!

-bfgArnoStyx

Edited on 09/30/2010 at 5:24:38 PM PST

Go to: