Why isn't answer to 3D device and resolution posted here?

[Post New]by gameprofile on Aug 14, 09 6:39 AM
I find it amazing that BF hasn't posted the answer to the 3D device and resolution problem here. I, too, am having the same problem as all those other postings. So, I came to forums to seek an answer rather than go to tech support and email a request for help. But, it seems that BF either doesn't have a simple fix it can post or that they like receiving all those emails from we disgruntled members. Come on BF, use your noggin.

Word_Dudely
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

Re:Why isn't answer to 3D device and resolution posted here?

[Post New]by Word_Dudely on Aug 14, 09 9:10 AM
That sounds like a directx message that appears when software requires a newer version than is installed on your computer. I'm sure BFG will include the installer soon. In the mean time, try updating directx by going to microsoft's page. The microsoft result from a google search for "directx web installer" (should be the first) might be the trick you need.

Word_Dudely
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by Word_Dudely on Aug 14, 09 9:15 AM
The game's developer has also posted this fix on a related thread.

davelgil wrote:Hi everyone! Dave here, the developer behind Convergence. I noticed that a number of you are getting the 3D Device error. Here is how you fix it.

Go into the game’s directory and run the “winsetup.exe” file. If you can't find the game's directory, do a filesearch for the name "winsetup.".

Run this program. In the window that pops up, you will see a section called “graphics driver” that is set to “Direct3D 9.” Set it to “DirectDraw” instead and the game should work! It might run a bit slowly in some places (most noticeably the opening credits), but 95% of the game should work fine!

I hope this helps. If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me.

Word_Dudely
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by Word_Dudely on Aug 14, 09 12:38 PM
And there is now an installer on the game too, so try downloading and installing it again if the above tricks didn't work.

[Post New]by darwinnewton on Aug 14, 09 3:52 PM
I just reinstalled and the pixelization is so horrible. I did the Direct X thing twice with updates, etc. Is this a Microsoft Vista problem maybe?

keltica
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by keltica on Aug 15, 09 4:25 AM
Hi all ..

I've got the newest version of Directx on my pc.. all my drivers get updated weekly ... I've tried the game in other resolutions but not working, can anyone tell me what resolution works, i'm using windows Vista

cheers,

Lou

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 15, 09 7:52 AM
Gameprofile,

The reason that BF hasn't posted an answer here to your problem is most likely because their tech support staff do not read the forums here looking for problems they can solve. They want you to contact the team directly and work through the problem that way with one of their team members. Sometimes developers will come into the forums and help if they can as Dave has evidently done in this situation, but that isn't something that happens very often. These forums are for users to help each other out when they can, but not a channel for official tech support. I have read many, MANY posts here that encourage players with problems to contact Tech Support, and I'm guessing it's so that they can have a more accurate way of tracking problems that allows easier investigation of how or why they might be occurring which in turn allows them to find quicker fixes for everyone. Since this is Saturday, they might not get back with you until Monday, but it's still good to go ahead and send in a request...or if you're a game club member, try using the live chat. You can click the green envelope at the bottom right to find out their hours as well as other options.

HTH!

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 15, 09 7:55 AM
keltica wrote:Hi all ..

I've got the newest version of Directx on my pc.. all my drivers get updated weekly ... I've tried the game in other resolutions but not working, can anyone tell me what resolution works, i'm using windows Vista

cheers,

Lou

If your drivers are being updated only through the Windows device manager, that only updates the MS version of those drivers which is not always the latest version available through the manufacturer of your video card...so they may not be as updated as you think. Best to go to the manufacturer's site of the actual video card and update drivers from there.

HTH!

Go to: