davelgil
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

3D Device error - fix!

[Post New]by davelgil on Aug 14, 09 7:17 AM
Hi everyone! Dave here, the developer behind Convergence. I noticed that a number of you are getting the 3D Device error. Here is how you fix it.

Go into the game’s directory and run the “winsetup.exe” file. If you can't find the game's directory, do a filesearch for the name "winsetup.".

Run this program. In the window that pops up, you will see a section called “graphics driver” that is set to “Direct3D 9.” Set it to “DirectDraw” instead and the game should work! It might run a bit slowly in some places (most noticeably the opening credits), but 95% of the game should work fine!

I hope this helps. If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me.

Edited on 08/14/2009 at 7:20:36 AM PST

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

Re:3D Device error - fix!

[Post New]by kishimojun on Aug 14, 09 7:18 AM
Always so wonderful to see the developers come here. Welcome and thanks.

davelgil
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by davelgil on Aug 14, 09 7:22 AM
My pleasure kishimojon (awesome name, btw). You folks at BFG have always been very supportive of my work, so the least I can do is help out.

Shastac2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by Shastac2 on Aug 14, 09 12:14 PM
I am totally confused!!! Where is the game directory and where do I enter "winsetup.exe"
Can't this problem be fixed any other way so all I would have to do is download the game and play???!!!

shastac2

Word_Dudely
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by Word_Dudely on Aug 14, 09 6:13 PM
Try downloading it again, there is a directx installer on it now that should fix that issue.

[Post New]by deedeedonna1 on Aug 14, 09 8:03 PM
Directx installer did not fix the problem got same message

3D Device error - fix!

[Post New]by sunkingsolstice on Aug 15, 09 4:06 PM
davelgil wrote:Hi everyone! Dave here, the developer behind Convergence. I noticed that a number of you are getting the 3D Device error. Here is how you fix it.

Go into the game’s directory and run the “winsetup.exe” file. If you can't find the game's directory, do a filesearch for the name "winsetup.".

Run this program. In the window that pops up, you will see a section called “graphics driver” that is set to “Direct3D 9.” Set it to “DirectDraw” instead and the game should work! It might run a bit slowly in some places (most noticeably the opening credits), but 95% of the game should work fine!

I hope this helps. If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me.

I did this and it worked. The game plays now but the graphics are so bad, it looks like it was made 15 years ago!!! They are so bad I don't see the point it playing, I am so glad I tried the free download instead of just buying it.

[Post New]by greatdane7259 on Aug 15, 09 7:01 PM
Thanks for the help it was such an easy fix for me. All I had to do was go to start then search copy winsetup.exe & let the search program find it. I liked the graphics the style reminded me a little of Aveyond & its trilogy of games but I had no other problems playing the game. So thank you once again for the help & the new game knowledge, I appreciate it.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Aug 15, 09 7:21 PM
davelgil wrote:My pleasure kishimojon (awesome name, btw). You folks at BFG have always been very supportive of my work, so the least I can do is help out.

Hi Dave, it's lovely to see you on here after our e-mail conversations! Loving this one, best hopes for more of the same!

jhlipton
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by jhlipton on Aug 16, 09 10:46 PM
This is an incomplete work-around, not a fix. As has been mentioned, the characters look like they're from an 80's game. Plus, the edges are missing. It's really hard to go through a door you can't see!

I've deleted this game. If you get it truly fixed, please re-post it (but we should get a 60 minute trial, not whatever we had left from this download).

[Post New]by mine5633 on Sep 4, 09 8:13 PM
I am having this same problem on Nancy Drew Danger on Deception Island. I tried to search for the file "winsetup" and it can't find it. I downloaded the newest Direct X and that didn't help either. Any ideas? I am using Windows XP.

[Post New]by hgo1234 on Sep 5, 09 7:22 PM
I downloaded this game, but it is very hard to play as it is blurry and details are not good. I have the same problem with the game Remedy and am glad on this one I tried it before buying it. I have the latest DirectX. I also have the latest Vista (which isn't that great) and a 2 month old computer with 4gig ram 64 bit processor. Most games run very fast and look great except this one and the other one above. Is there any way to get the game visuals clear? thanks

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Sep 3, 10 3:55 PM
I had wanted to do that earlier but was not sure if DirectDraw was the correct one to choose. I've been dying to play this game all day! LOL ....finally, a simple solution that I can handle myself. Thanks a bunch Dave!

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Sep 3, 10 4:49 PM
I wanted to add that after going into the "winsetup.exe" file, you do have to click "save and run" to get the game to open. I hope this helps those who are still having issues. I believe I played the 1 hour demo last year when the game debuted and had no issues with it.

Go to: