From the Developer

[Post New]by bwiegele on Aug 15, 09 3:37 PM
Hello!

My name is Bryan Wiegele and I'm the creator of the Delaware St. John games. Since "The Curse of Midnight Manor" has released on Big Fish I've been watching the forums to see what people thought of the game. I watch for both good and bad comments to see what people like and don't like about the experience. I've noticed a lot of people were put off by the long intro and I've worked with BigFish to put together a new demo that bypasses the intro to get you right into the game.

While adventure games are made to be investigative, they should never be confusing. I'm sorry to read some forum posted could not find their way around. I'd suggest using a walkthrough when you do find yourself stuck, I've referred to them myself many a game to get past a frustrating area.

Anyhow, I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself and let everyone know your opinions are definitely being heard by the developer directly and every comment is appreciated. Thank you and happy adventuring!

-Bryan

ABLib
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

Re:From the Developer

[Post New]by ABLib on Aug 16, 09 11:16 AM
I played through the whole game - for the most part (credits aside) the only thing that really bugged me was not being able to click thorugh the dialog if I have already heard it. The onloy thing I have not figures out, even with the walk though, was how to read the coded arrows on the first floor.

It wasn't a bad game, but I think a few more "puzzles" might make the next one more interesting.

[Post New]by bwiegele on Aug 16, 09 11:56 AM
Hi ABLib!

The Curse of Midnight Manor was a small experiment game that revisited adventure games. I actually agree with what people on the forums say about waiting too long to watch the intro, etc. The thing was, we were so proud to do this game for such a small amount of money we all agreed the credits would go up first! But I understand the player just wants to get right in!

There are two more Delaware games coming, and in my opinion, each one is an improvement on the last. Though I cannot make any promises, I am looking into making videos and long sequences skipable.

Thanks for your feedback!

-Bryan

keely1
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by keely1 on Aug 19, 09 9:22 AM
hi bryan, i liked the game but in the part with the never ending hallways the arrows and the walkthrough didnt match esp. the 3rd go round. some of the game was really confusing. i almost asked bigfish for my money back but i stuck with it and enjoyed it. now im starting on story 2. hope its not as confusing.

keely1
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by keely1 on Aug 19, 09 11:01 AM
hi again bryan, i spoke tooo soon, i got lost in the basement on story 1 and took couple days to get out now im stuck in the basement again after i fixed the elevator. i have the walk through but its impossible to go backwards to get out pleaseeeeeeee help me get outy. thx

[Post New]by Iceshark39 on Aug 21, 09 1:20 AM
Firstly, I would like to say I am DELIGHTED with this game. I've just finished the free trial and can't wait to purchase it and add it to my game library.

My attention was grabbed, almost immediately, when I saw the opening scene in the 'Manor' and I was hooked. It bore such a striking similarity to an old favorite of mine from the days before 'instant downloads' were even possible. A game called "Inherent Evil: The Haunted Hotel" (at the risk of dating myself some may have to take a trip in the "Way Back" machine for that one). One that required Windows 95/98 and DirectX 5.0 (how's that for dated?)

The details in the foyer, the stairway, basement and so many other details are so hauntingly recreated I can't believe it could be coincidence. The slots behind the front desk for the safe, drawers and cupboard, the missing steps next to the basement door down to the same style of sofas and tables in the foyer and the tipped over curio on the second level walkway. Even the city where the manor was located. It was a wonderful flashback to that much loved game, and urged me to find my original IE game disk and reload it.

Having read some of the posts on the forums for this game I see that there are many more similarities in puzzles to the original Inherent Evil. The aging of the hotel and updated artwork are an absolute delight. I really like the haunting story thus far, it's not quite as dark as the storyline in Inherent Evil, but chillingly engaging.

The length of cut scenes and the opening credits not withstanding in the length of play, I think a wonderful job was done bringing this story back to life. I eagerly anticipate playing this game through and seeing just how much of the Haunted Hotel truly IS Midnight Manor.

I want to commend you for such a wonderful revival of a great mystery/horror game and I sincerely hope that you've got more of these great tricks up your sleeves!

Iceshark39~

[Post New]by SnowCap13 on Aug 23, 09 6:02 AM
G'Day Bryan,

This is the first game I have played that has sent a chill down my spine when I was chased by something into a room during the demo. I spent ages wandering through various rooms and the basement, working out what I was looking for, but it came to me ... eventually! I view making the connections as part of the fun, I don't like too many hints. It's funny, I don't like this genre or type of story line in books or films but because I can walk away I can switch the suspense off. I have the technology. I've had to take a break from Return to Ravenhearst because the story line is just so sad and macabre and I kept getting shocked by walking into rooms and being confronted by the cruelest images. These games do pull me, I'm interested to see how it all turns out. I like that I'm able to search at my own pace but I've got to put my skates on when next I'm chased. I haven't used all the gadgets yet, I'll be back for more, just to see how they are used and continue to second guess the ending. Like your work.

Cheers To You

shariann
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by shariann on Aug 26, 09 2:02 PM
can't get to saved game

Dated Horror Games

[Post New]by MommaHedgehog on Aug 28, 09 4:36 PM
Would it be possible for BFG to make available for download some of these old horror games of the '90s? Phantasmagoria for instance. Another one I remember was Diablo which had an ad on game that I believe was called Hellfire or something like that. These were available during the first few years when home computers first became commonplace. I also remember these games were not cheap either. Would games such as these be rated too mature for a downloadable game website?

sadies_dad
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by sadies_dad on Sep 4, 09 7:15 AM
Is there a way to get a copy of the audio file that plays when the "beast" is active? It really speeds up the heartbeat!

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Oct 22, 09 12:43 AM
To the developer; I haven't been able to play either game to even know if I like them or not! Have you any ideas as to why they won't even start? I get an error message saying 'Can't access full screen'? The cursor disappears behind this error box, and my only way out is to start the task manager. I can hear the music but that's it. The game stays in the task bar and each click on it brings up more and more error message boxes. Hoping you might be able to shed some light on this for me please?
Thanks

shariann
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by shariann on Oct 22, 09 9:26 AM
to the developer the hallways is awful. tried 10xs can't get and I followed the directions on the walkthrough

[Post New]by mimimc2235 on Nov 1, 09 12:13 AM
Bryan:

I'm fairly new to all of this and I have a question. This neverending hallway! I had to read the walkthrough to get through it...however, where or how does one come up with the 3 clicks, 9 clicks, 6 clicks etc on our own????????????? I could have been there a million years and never figured it out. I got the arrows go right 2 etc...but where or how would I have come up with the rest. Would appreciate the input...I'm old and need all the help I can get. We two old gals want to be a little wiser to these games. Thanks...Mary and Marcia

jzbiz
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
6 Posts

[Post New]by jzbiz on Nov 11, 09 2:40 PM
How do we get the "new" trial?

[Post New]by smhchee on Nov 14, 09 1:33 PM
i am upset, because i haven't been able to get thru the lounge with the ghosts. no sooner than u point the arrow in the forward position the ghosts come up, but my cursor is gone and does not reappear until the second ghost is already there. how do you get thru this? i am getting exasperated.

[Post New]by katecv on May 16, 10 9:30 AM
I had the same problem. To fix it, I had to turn hardware acceleration for my display way back.

On Windows XP, you can do this by going to Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot (note well: it's a tab in the Advanced settings panel, not the Troubleshoot you'll see earlier next to the Advanced settings panel). I had to dial hardware acceleration several notches before my cursor remained and the entire sequence of evil spirits appeared, permitting me to finish the game.

Dated Horror Games

[Post New]by slash3 on Aug 19, 13 3:16 PM
MommaHedgehog wrote:Would it be possible for BFG to make available for download some of these old horror games of the '90s? Phantasmagoria for instance. Another one I remember was Diablo which had an ad on game that I believe was called Hellfire or something like that. These were available during the first few years when home computers first became commonplace. I also remember these games were not cheap either. Would games such as these be rated too mature for a downloadable game website?

I have Phantasmagoria on disc, butr lent the install disc to my uncle to try, see if he liked it. never got it back would love to see that on here. also 7th guest! that was brill, i have a few others i cant remember the names of atm.

Go to: