bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

The Cameron Files: Secret at Loch Ness comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 16, 09 1:09 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of The Cameron Files: Secret at Loch Ness. We're sure you have comments you would like to share with the community. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the discussion!

Comments:
The Cameron Files: Secret at Loch Ness is an Adventure game which takes players away to Scotland, through a medieval castle, secret laboratories and even right into the waters of the Loch Ness. Despite being face to face with mystery, a banshee and cold weather, this game manages to not take itself too seriously or get too dark. There is plenty of ground to explore, but the graphics are a bit outdated and the 360° view may be dizzying to those sensitive to motion sickness, especially since there is no option to turn this off. This game also relies heavily on audio, as none of the dialogue has subtitles, which may be a problem for those that either cannot or do not want to listen to in-game audio. It’s also important to note that on a very small number of occasions there is a little strong language. However, players that aren’t bothered by any of these factors will find that this game is an enjoyable romp in Scotland, especially for those that are new to the genre.

Game Modes:
Secret at Loch Ness has just a basic story mode, with a few puzzles mixed in.

Depth:
While Secret at Loch Ness is an adventure game, it’s fairly linear. Unlike in some games where players can complete tasks in a variety of orders, most tasks must be done in a specific order to continue. While this game provides hours of game time, it’s fairly short as far as adventure games go.

Similar to:
This game bears some similarities to Riddle of the Sphinx in that you spend more time adventuring than talking to people, though there is a large difference in graphics and difficulty level.

Difficulty level:
Secret at Loch Ness is moderately challenging. While there are few hints that lead you to the next task, but once you get there it’s usually fairly clear what item needs to be used or what code/pattern needs to be entered to unlock something. However, there are a couple of timed puzzles that pop up suddenly and will kill you if you fail them.

Reviewed by E.G.

Capatin
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

Re:The Cameron Files: Secret at Loch Ness comments and reviews

[Post New]by Capatin on Aug 16, 09 8:02 AM
this is slow at first we will see what happens i like the game s with the good stories in them so we will see

Edited on 08/16/2009 at 8:12:28 AM PST

SSmitty
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,250 Posts

[Post New]by SSmitty on Aug 16, 09 9:50 AM
There is an underwater maze in this one, be sure to save before going into it too far, as it is pretty rough. At least it looks that way to me. LOL.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Aug 16, 09 9:56 AM
Timed puzzles? Sadly, not for me. After months, I'm still trying to get rid of the crows in Nancy Drew Lights, Action, Curses. So I'll pass.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 16, 09 10:28 AM
I've played this game, and what I did was to go to the walkthrough and write down *exactly* what I needed to do to get through the timed sequences, and once I had done that, I got through them the first time around. The underwater sequence doesn't require fast clicking so much as you just need to know the exact steps to pass it.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Aug 16, 09 10:30 AM
Howatch, is that true? If I do exactly what the walkthrough says ,would I be able to beat the timer? Because I like the story and was planning on buying it until I saw the horror that for me is a timed puzzle. Tks for your post.

Edited on 08/16/2009 at 10:31:54 AM PST

gailfriend429
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by gailfriend429 on Aug 16, 09 11:36 AM
Euskalduna wrote:Timed puzzles? Sadly, not for me. After months, I'm still trying to get rid of the crows in Nancy Drew Lights, Action, Curses. So I'll pass.

Euskalduna,

The same thing happened to me! I ended up uninstalling it after trying to get through it a zillion times...really disappointed that I got that far and had to quit because of those *&^*^ crows! Put me off of Nancy Drew games for a while LOL
gailfriend

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 16, 09 11:49 AM
Euskalduna wrote:Howatch, is that true? If I do exactly what the walkthrough says ,would I be able to beat the timer? Because I like the story and was planning on buying it until I saw the horror that for me is a timed puzzle. Tks for your post.

Euskalduna, I had more trouble with the crows in Nancy Drew Dossier than I did with the timed sequences in Cameron. You might have to re-do your steps a few times in the underwater timed sequence in Cameron, but mostly it's just a question of knowing whether to go north, south, east, west, etc. Take a look at the walkthrough for the game on GameBoomers and maybe that will give you an idea of whether or not you think it's something you can handle...all I know is that when I followed the walkthrough directions exactly, I was able to get through this sequence without problems.

I sure don't want you to end up buying a game where you get stuck and can't finish it; that is an extremely frustrating situation. I understand how you feel, because when my son used to live with me I sometimes asked for his help, as there were a few games I never would have finished if he hadn't done those parts of the game for me.

Edited on 08/16/2009 at 11:49:55 AM PST

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Aug 16, 09 1:15 PM
E.G. this was one of the best reviews written by a BF reviewer. Much more than just a game description. I especially liked that you addressed the motion sickness, the need for sound. Thank You very much!

suedmaney
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by suedmaney on Aug 16, 09 2:40 PM
Made the mistake of buying game and can't seem to play it. I need some hints or tutorial so I know how to use what I have. Game does not not go anyplace. Ineed help....suedmaney

Simba2009
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by Simba2009 on Aug 16, 09 2:49 PM
Well LOL I have enough on my plate with vertigo like the few others here so I think maybe I'll pass on it too. As for the person who couldn't get the crows, keep trying, took me awhile too but I finally made it.

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on Aug 16, 09 4:57 PM
suedmaney wrote:Made the mistake of buying game and can't seem to play it. I need some hints or tutorial so I know how to use what I have. Game does not not go anyplace. Ineed help....suedmaney

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on Aug 16, 09 4:59 PM
The GameBoomer walkthrough is extremely helpful to those who are asking for help... As far as the timed sequences in this game, it's no where near as hard as others I've played (Sherlock Holmes, be danged!) I'm not yet to the point of the underground mazes, but I've looked over the walkthrough, which includes really good points of reference and I don't think there's too much to worry about (famous last words), but I'll find out tomorrow.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Aug 16, 09 5:04 PM
I didn't buy the game but I did do some research on it. It was orignally released in 2002 so it is another of the resurrected Adventure Games being released to the casual game portals, which I'm all for cuz the genre was struggling and is now getting a breath of life.

Reviews for this one went backwards from the norm - Reviewers gave it high marks - and average 8.2 on Gamespot from 4 reviews, but users, who normally will be kinder to Adventure Games as only fans of the genre play them, only averaged a 6.8 out of 40 reviews. This gives me pause as anything below a 7 is shaky in my mind.

One thing I'm seeing consistently in reviews is complaints of there being too much help, in monologue and in the notebook of our hero. While some would find this "hand holding" annoying, it might do well for people new to the genre. Oh, another negative mark in my mind from reading is that the story has little to do with Nessie and Loch Ness is more about the location, so don't anticipate the Monster being a bit part of it.

Graphics and music get very high marks (for 2002, so adjust accordingly) and voice acting is said to be acceptable (that's always a big one for me).

I am currently on Hiatus from Large FIle games (toooo many unfinished on my desktop) so can't rate this from personal experience, just thought I'd share what I've read.

arrington1
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by arrington1 on Aug 16, 09 8:04 PM
I downloaded Diamond Jnes and cant get pass the airplane flight. I hate the games that throw in these kind of things. If you are not real good with the mouse you are in trouble. Even my grandson cant do it. I depend on him for these things lol

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Aug 16, 09 8:41 PM
The 360 degree killed it for me. I demo'd one a while ago and got queasy.

Shegsy
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Shegsy on Aug 17, 09 12:47 AM
I have finished this game using the walkthrough which is pretty comprehensive with it's help.
It does have the rapid 360 degree turnaround which can make you dizzy at times especially with all the tartan!
I have not played a game like this before but managed it with help, even the timed sections though it took more than one go.
I found it very important to save the game regularly.

Edited on 08/17/2009 at 12:49:34 AM PST

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Aug 17, 09 4:55 AM
I haven't played this yet, but thought I should share something I found at JA.
"The puzzles in the game are entertaining and intuitive. This isn't one of those brain-spraining games where you'll depend on the walkthrough to save your sanity. The variety of brain ticklers is excellent as well. The puzzles play fair with the player, and don't get in the way of an entertaining story. I must warn the reader that the game does contain a few timed puzzles, but they are actually fun and pretty forgiving, as timed puzzles go."

[Post New]by MariGR on Aug 23, 09 2:06 AM
I wouldn't buy this game if I had the option to play a demo first.
The camera view made me sick with all the movements. There are no subtitles and certain events are not triggered unless you take the very exact route to a location, which most of the time is not intuitive.
I could not have completed it without the walk-through.
Also, if you are going to play this game I cannot stress how important SAVING OFTEN is!!
You can get to the main menu by pressing escape (I only found that out after having died midway through the game and had to replay the whole thing - which I only did because I had paid for the game).
Also, the game is quite short, so if you're looking for a long and enjoyable adventure game, try something else.

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Sep 29, 09 5:13 PM
The worst $6.99 I've ever spent in my life!

5 minutes into the game and I think I'm going to throw up!

I am serious, the movement of the character will make you nauseas!

too bad, seemed like a good story line.

Go to: