bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

“The Village Mage: Spellbinder comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 19, 09 1:02 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of The Village Mage: Spellbinder. We're sure you have comments you would like to share with the community. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
The Village Mage: Spellbinder is an interesting mix between a Match 3 and a Time Management game. Those that choose “Challenge” mode will find just that – as the game progresses, it grows in difficulty. Even in “Relaxed” mode, the challenge of the game is present, especially for those that strive for 100% gold medals. Difficulty level aside, this game is very cute. While the art and even the design of each cabin is fairly simplistic, players can customize their décor while upgrading and even hire various animals to assist with tasks. One thing to note about this game, however, is its reliance on audio – while music can be turned down, without the ability to hear game sounds, players may miss the knock of a customer at the door or the “ping!” of the alchemic kettle. Without game sounds, players must be sure to periodically exit the potion field to check up on customers. Regardless, this is a fun and colorful way for those that enjoy having many tasks to perform at once.

Game Modes:
Spellbinder has both a Challenge and Relaxed mode. Within both modes are standard levels that follow your storyline, as well as bonus levels that can be unlocked along the way.

Depth:
With 60 core levels and 20 bonus levels, Spellbinder provides plenty of entertainment, especially for those that strive for top scores.

Similar to:
Spellbinder can be compared to Asami’s Sushi Shop or Pizza Chef, since these two games are also Match 3/Time Management mash-ups.

Difficulty level:
Spellbinder starts off fairly easy, but increases in difficulty throughout the duration of the game, even in Relaxed mode.

Review by E.G.

nixyseven
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

Re:“The Village Mage: Spellbinder comments and reviews

[Post New]by nixyseven on Aug 19, 09 6:51 AM
Just played the demo and really enjoyed it. It's a lot like Burger Rush/Restaurant Rush where you have to make certain matches on a Match 3 board to collect ingredients for different potions.

On the one hour demo, I only finished about 6 levels or so (if I'm remembering right. I got to the first silver "special" level), so it looks like it has quite a bit of play-time in it.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Aug 19, 09 6:55 AM
I'm going to pass on this one. I don't enjoy TM games, and even in relaxed mode while I may have plenty of time I'm feeling time pressure which I don't find relaxing.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 19, 09 7:01 AM
I like the idea to combinate match 3 with tm, but I don`t like this game.
I tried it for 30 minutes and I find the game is so boring.
It`s not a good match 3 and also not a good tm.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Aug 19, 09 7:53 AM
An interesting and unique Game Mechanic sadly overshadowed by truly amateurish graphics and poorly translated, and as such confusing, instructions. Clumsy movement between Time Management and Match 3 tasks further hinders appreciation of a new twist on the Match 3 structure. It honestly took me all of 9 minutes to decide it was not, for me, worth going further. Perhaps it developes into something more worthwhile along the way, but I was not willing to find out.

[Post New]by ladycobra3 on Aug 19, 09 9:36 AM
I wanted to like this game because of the combination of TM and Match 3 but I found it very boring instead. I could not get through the demo so I will be passing on this one.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 19, 09 11:50 AM
I agree with Lord K and Poodle as usual. I only played the tutorial, and already felt too pressured. This is not what I play match-3 games for. The game mode requires you to make matches as fast as possible, so that your multiplier will stay high. If you aren't fast enough, your potion spoils. Sounds a lot like time management with a little boring match-3 thrown in. Sorry, but not for me. If you like time management and also have some love for match-3, this might be one to check out, though.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Aug 19, 09 12:11 PM
Even though I hate TMs I downloaded the demo for this one with the thought that I *might* actually like it. I tried to like it. I just love Asami's Sushi Shop. But the difference was that Asami was easy to get the hang of and light on the TM, heavy on a very good M3. I couldn't take more of this one after only 10 minutes of demo. Nice try, but just not for me.

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Aug 19, 09 1:25 PM
Poodle, as usual, hits the nail on the head. I totally concur.

Toffifee
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,383 Posts

[Post New]by Toffifee on Aug 19, 09 2:25 PM
Played the demo for exactly 16 minutes; they really tried hard to combine TMT and Match 3 - but the result is no success, sorry! Not my game though I like both genres

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Aug 19, 09 4:33 PM
I like TM, I like M3, I like timers. I did not like this, can't blame it on hurried, I like that (when I am choosing this type of gameplay)
What I didn't like was having to have the sound on, that the playing field is small and hard to see the ingredients while in TM mode. Considering that a huge area of play is available on the sides, with nothing going on, I don't know why they made it too small.
I also didn't care for the fact I couldn't play it in windowed mode.
I was also surprised with the graphics, and the directions were very confusing, I had higher hopes considering it is an alawar game.
Too bad, I like both genres and just didn't like this one.
Please don't put it down to the mixing of genres for its failures, that is not the reason. I would hate to discourage any developer from stepping out of the box.

Edited on 08/19/2009 at 4:34:42 PM PST

cozzyozzy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by cozzyozzy on Aug 19, 09 7:33 PM
It's not a bad little game if the relax mode would be relaxing, but no such animal, one still has to hurry along, i wonder what's it like in challenge mode (impossible my guess)
Not a game i would purchase in a hurry.

kececi
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by kececi on Aug 20, 09 11:03 AM
Found the game boring after about 10 minutes. I like both TM and match 3 games but this was just took too much time to learn and was not relaxing at all. Couldn't wait til time to go to work to stop playing it.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 21, 09 3:33 PM
I bought the game and have been enjoying playing it in "relaxed" mode all day. Basically I'm a match-3 fan. The time management part of it gets into a routine once you get the hang of it, so not so bad.

One selling point for me is that I like the game music. Some of the match-3's I've demoed lately have had really bad music, so I was very pleasantly surprised with this one.

The gameplay is a bit different in that you can add to matched groups after they are made, for a time. And the field repopulates randomly - it does not cascade downward.

One thing though, I still have no clue as to what most of the gadgets you can upgrade in the shop *do*. But regardless, I can still play the game and get the gold awards so far. (Really that's why I came to the forums - to see if anyone else knew - lol.)

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: “The Village Mage: Spellbinder comments and reviews

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Oct 15, 13 8:12 AM
I succeeded at all levels, using the recommended upgrades, until my hour ran out. I do like the graphics, and suspect I'll get around to buying this toward the end of the month as one of my total 6 for the punch card!

[Post New]by snoopyfan on Dec 3, 13 4:52 PM
This is my first contribution to a forum, but I'm a little stuck. I enjoy all types of games, and am enjoying the mix of match 3 and TM. But does anyone who likes this game know how the ingredient duplicator works?

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Jun 22, 14 7:47 AM
I really like this game. I've played for hours on relaxed mode and still haven't completed it. There are lots of upgrades to buy, including a special perch for your pet owl that allows him to add potion ingredients to your table. A pet bat examines the clients and a bear opens the door for them, but you have to feed them or they won't work. I also love the music.

There are bonus levels you can play as you go to earn extra money and experience. Some are easier to complete once you've got better equipment, e.g. bigger cauldron, table, upgraded ingredients, etc.

You can also buy fancier chairs, rugs, and wall hangings to increase the customers' patience and comfort.

I'm not sure how the ingredient duplicator works because I haven't used it. The tutorial explains what the machines do, but I missed that part. One machine allows you to swap ingredients to make a match and one will freeze the potion timer for a few seconds. I like the one that gives you 1.5 of each ingredient you match while it's active. There are buttons at the bottom of the M3 board/table that you click to use these bonuses.

As you level up, you can upgrade your M3 powerups, including a versatile ingredient that matches anything, double ingredients, freezing the timer (you can only boil the ingredients for a little while before the potion spoils), a bomb that matches a 3x3 section of the table, and increasing all customers' patience a bit.

The customers pay with gold and food/miscellaneous items. You can use the food to feed the animals. I don't always feed them because the food is subtracted from your level results, and I can sometimes do all the work quicker (although you can buy equipment to make them faster). There's an upgrade that allows the bear to seat the customers. I haven't bought that one yet.

Overall, it's a fun game if you're looking for something a little different. I know that I'll play it again.

Go to: