A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/29/2015 at 8:39:16 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Tales: Alaskan Wild Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by 9otters on Aug 29, 15 2:09 AM
Wow! And not in a good way. I hardly know where to begin. I guess the title would be a place to start. The only connection to Alaska that I could see would be the snow and the animal totems attached to the game gimmick. I have to say that the totems bear NO resemblance to any Alaskan art I've ever seen. Not that I've seen that much. Maybe just enough to wonder if they are "true" to native Alaskans.

The graphics are cartoonish and the colors as garish as I've ever seen. I actually got a headache by the time the demo was, blissfully, over. I know the colors are part of it, but the jumpy cursor and jerky animation probably had a part to play.

The game gimmick is an amulet we use when we see an animal totem. We use it to "become" the animal and perform some task that we would be unable to otherwise perform...like getting through a locked door, for example. We must be a bear to do that.

The evil mother-in-law-to-be, basically a witch, doesn't want her son marrying our sister. The moment we meet her she is throwing spells and taking our sister away. Even though we have many things to do, like locating parts, and repairing a motor for the boat we must use to give chase....we still get across the lake in time to see her disappear into the woods with our sis. I'm not EVEN going to go on from there.

Part of the reason we're here, is because we're going to write a book about Alaskan wildlife. We didn't bring our OWN camera so, as we start to give chase, we pick up, and put together a camera that we need for getting snapshots of the wildlife, which is one of this game's collectibles. Collect 11 photos, unlock a match 3 game AND a bubble shooter game.

Collectibles, in plain view, are figurines...of the townspeople? Probably. 22 achievements...game and performance. Replay 15 HOPs and 16 mini-games. There is also a "personality quiz" that you can take before you even start the game.

When I got to the second or third HOP, I just started clicking on objects to see how many I could get WITHOUT looking at the list. I got ALL but one right. I came across a morphing object HOP. Again, didn't look at the list. Didn't have to. Could NOT miss them.

Forgettable, tired, simple mini-games...all have a reset button. Alternate game is match 3. Garish colors have been transferred to the jump map. Hint button will take you the map to transport. Strategy guide, bonus game, usual CE stuff.

to be continued...

Edited on 08/29/2015 at 10:13:58 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Aug 29, 15 2:15 AM
In the map area, you will find a snowflake icon. Click on it and a sliding "gauge" appears. Slide it up or down...make it snow in the scene...or not. Why? I haven't a clue. Now that I think about it, I wish I had tried it INDOORS.

Actually, I never noticed if it was there when we were inside. As you can probably tell, I wouldn't have this game if it was gifted to me. In addition to all of the above, most of the gameplay was the "open-this-with-that" variety. Voice-overs? One in particular borders on ridiculous. This whole demo borders on the ridiculous. I COULD go on, but it is time to lay down and nurse my head.

I suggest you play the demo. Maybe you'll have some jaw-dropping moments too. I strongly suggest you have some pain relief close at hand.

Happy gaming!

Ok. Wait a minute. There is ONE thing I'd like to know. If the witchy mother-in-law-to-be had no intention of even meeting us, how did ALL the NUMEROUS notes about her plans and actions get inside all those locked, obscure places? Hmmm...guess we mere humans will never know.

Edited on 08/29/2015 at 11:23:46 AM PST

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Aug 29, 15 3:11 AM
Spot on!

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Aug 29, 15 3:33 AM
What a BEAUTIFUL game!!! I love it x 100!!!
Clean, clear, crisp. Lots of fun. Not too difficult. Not getting lost. It's perfect!
You must give this a try!
Thank you developers and BigFishGames !!!

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Aug 29, 15 8:40 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Tales: Alaskan Wild Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Tales: Alaskan Wild Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

janey1806
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by janey1806 on Aug 29, 15 9:40 AM
Agree with 9otters

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Aug 29, 15 9:54 AM
9otters, this was the most refreshing (and good!) review i ever read!

I played part of the beta of this game and decided then, that I would wait for the SE to demo the game. For me it is not CE worthy, details see other reviews, which I can only agree with - especially the one 9otters gave us. Perhaps I try the demo later on tonight - but - alas - no pain medication at hand.......

But - make up your own mind!

[Post New]by Silas_Nash on Aug 29, 15 9:59 AM
Thank you 9otters for your perfect review. I agree with you completely.
There is no widescreen and the graphics look old. The developer needs to get up with the times. The HOG's and mini-games were so tired and boring. I was happy when the demo ended.

janey1806
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by janey1806 on Aug 29, 15 10:07 AM
Yes me too. Couldnt even make it through the demo. I hate having to make engines, put fuel in, sandpaper etc. Been there done that a thousand times. Please give us something new!

WhiteladiesRd
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by WhiteladiesRd on Aug 29, 15 10:19 AM
Played most of the demo and deleted. Didn't like the colors, nor the story, nor the HO's, nor the puzzles.
At least there was no car/train/coach/plane accident and I didn't come across a broken zipper where I had to improvise.

I've played for 50 mins and got to page 12 of the strategy guide. The Bonus Game starts at page 32, so the game looks on the short side.

By the way, 9otters, the snow gauge doesn't work INDOORS.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Aug 29, 15 10:57 AM
Another rehashed game about a baddie who doesn't want their child to leave them. This time it's a man with some kind of unnamed terminal illness & a mother who's trying to cure him with unearthed "magical" powers.

Graphics were overly bright with a lot of pink/blue overtones & a little cartoonish. The characters were more realistic looking but still wooden & one dimensional. The VO/mouth movements were a little better than usual.

HOS/mini games got a little cumbersome & tedious. I know very little about the Alaskan waters but I don't believe jellyfish/squid live in them but I could be wrong.

Collectibles are right in your face waiting to be clicked on. Amulet turns what is represented as Alaskan totems into animals. Authenticity of objects/places/things does not seem high on the devs list. If it looks/sounds good it okay to them. Quality control seems to be lacking.

Haven't decided if I'll pass on this game or wait for the SE. In the meantime, try the demo & see for yourself if you'll be "gaming" in these Alaskan waters.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Aug 29, 15 11:05 AM
Totally agree with 9otters. How this can be a CE. Wouldn't buy with a good sale which this weekends is not.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Aug 29, 15 11:30 AM
Oh my goodness...this game is HORRIBLE! It's just dumb! I have no other words to describe it.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 29, 15 12:24 PM
Some very harsh comments about this game that personally I think are unwarranted. The developer took time and effort to try and produce a game that they hoped would be well received and unfortunately it looks like most here didn't receive it well at all. But I didn't mind it and I certainly didn't think it was 'horrible' and 'just dumb', although I agree with many that it's not really CE material.

The graphics were clear and quite lovely, albeit a bit on the bright side as far as the colours were concerned. The HOS were nothing special; the morphing one was really easy but beat staring at the screen for ages waiting for something to change. The puzzles weren't challenging but quite fun to play. Collectibles in the form of statuettes weren't hard to see and you take photos of various animals if you can spot them. You get a game in the extras if you find them all, as well as replaying the HOS/puzzles, getting achievements and of course a bonus chapter. I didn't look at the SG once during the demo so no idea how many chapters there are. There is a map which shows tasks/transports and 'custom' is one of the 4 modes of play.

For me it fell short of any real challenge and the story was a little silly here and there. But I liked the feel of the game; I know nothing about Alaska (apart from it's cold and there's a lot of snow), so I wouldn't notice if anything didn't ring true.

I don't think it's good enough to be a CE but most likely I will buy the SE when it's released. An easy, relaxing little game is sometimes just what I need and this fits the bill nicely

ETA: No technical issues with the demo. Desktop running Win7 Pro 64-bit. And my review is my honest opinion, not what I think BFG would expect me to say.

Edited on 08/29/2015 at 12:30:04 PM PST

janey1806
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by janey1806 on Aug 29, 15 12:24 PM
Yes I agree MissAbby, but they must think we are dumb if thats what they expect us to buy. Cant understand all the good reviews on the BF main page. Its got 5 stars by quite a few people!!!

If people are going to review games they should be honest and not just say what they think BFG expect them to say.

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Aug 29, 15 12:31 PM

Edited on 09/06/2015 at 6:41:02 AM PST

janey1806
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by janey1806 on Aug 29, 15 1:00 PM
Didnt realise that, but suppose it makes sense. Hardly fair though

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 29, 15 1:30 PM
Hello friends! Well, we have #3 in this series. Of course, I already have the first two and thoroughly enjoyed them. Graphics are very well done with bright clear colors. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo, which seemed quite short to me. Animation was very well done, with very smooth movements and mouth movements in sync with voice overs. Voices are exceptionally well done and quite appropriate for the character, with emotion, fear, urgency, anger and all. The one thing I don't care for in any game, is the need to choose dialog in response to a character. Fortunately this does not happen often enough in this game to be annoying, but it does happen. Sound FX are very nicely done. Music is rather soothing and nice and does move with whatever may be happening in a scene at the time.

HOPs are the usual lists and some you need to find the morphing items before the list appears. They are clean and clear and items are not hard to find. If you don't care for HOPs, you can switch to a match 3 game. There is a jump map, but I found it to be somewhat cluttered. It was faster to use the hint, which does transport to longer locations. You don't really do that much backtracking, but there is some. Puzzles were quite simple and took no brain power to complete.

There are numerous achievements in this game and a number of collectibles. So far, all I have found are character statues...there are 11. You also have a camera to take pictures of various animals within the game. Not sure what this does for you yet, but I'll find out. You have a magic amulet that brings a totum to life as a specific animal. These totums help you complete a task along the way. Well done!

The devs took a little time with this one and included little extras like "cold breath" when the character spoke outside. You know that's going to happen whenever you are out in the snow. You could even shake the snow off the trees, and make it snow more if you wanted (see snowflake on far left). Very creative use of graphics and animation. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I do like this game. I liked it as a beta back in July and like it even more after playing for a second time. I don't give 5 stars easily and I'm really on the fence about this one. I think the only reason I don't give it 5, is because there needed to be a bit more in the collectibles area. Yes, it's just me, but a game is more challenging if you have to actually "work" for something and not just walk through a game and pick things up here and there. That said, I give this one 4.75! I think this game will appeal to all levels of players. Yep, already bought it!

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Nohrah
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Nohrah on Aug 29, 15 4:00 PM
I find the forum reviews much more useful than those on the game page. I often base my decision to download or not on reviews of the game.

It is ever so useful to read a review that tells the good and bad rather than a sweetly gushing affirmation.

I am still on the fence about this game, not for lack of CE extras but because I just feel been there, done that, a de javu feeling.

When I was new to these games I would have loved it, but now I suppose my expectations of a game are not the same.

I too will wait for a while and see if I have gotten over my disillusion with most of the games offered or perhaps want ANY game to wile away the hours.

Edited on 08/29/2015 at 4:06:10 PM PST

Go to: