Haunted Hotel

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

Haunted Hotel

[Post New]by scotcat on Mar 4, 08 2:09 AM
Once again I got REALLY excited about a new hidden object game. Even the concept sounded wonderful.... a haunted hotel. How cool!

The game ran slow & choppy.
Picture quality was horrible.
Waaay to wordy for me. I want to play a game, not read a book.
It was way too easy to find objects & bonus items.
The mini games were cute - for the first or second time, but got boring after they kept using the same ones over and over again. The "fishing for letters" was kind of cool.

This game has wonderful potential - well the basic idea anyway, if they fixed it up.

Make sure you try the demo before even considering buying this game. I think I will pass.

oreo3030
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

Re: Haunted Hotel

[Post New]by oreo3030 on Mar 4, 08 4:03 AM
scotcat wrote:Once again I got REALLY excited about a new hidden object game. Even the concept sounded wonderful.... a haunted hotel. How cool!

The game ran slow & choppy.
Picture quality was horrible.
Waaay to wordy for me. I want to play a game, not read a book.
It was way too easy to find objects & bonus items.
The mini games were cute - for the first or second time, but got boring after they kept using the same ones over and over again. The "fishing for letters" was kind of cool.

This game has wonderful potential - well the basic idea anyway, if they fixed it up.

Make sure you try the demo before even considering buying this game. I think I will pass.

In general agree w/your comments.

I don't mind reading, but this game is another example of an non-English language game being mistranslated for English speakers. Story is difficult to follow because of the mistranslations. And try looking for an "easel" and discovering that they meant an "artist's pallette." Energy game to power elevator got old really quickly too.

If you liked the "fishing for letters", try Finders Keepers from BFG. They use the same mnechanics for a salvage boat pilot and his cat. No letters involved but gold, jewels and rescuing polar bears. Kinda fun.

Wish someone else had done Haunted Hotel too.

GinaBean
Manatee
Manatee
4,361 Posts

[Post New]by GinaBean on Mar 5, 08 7:06 AM
Wow, what a disappointment this game was. I'm really surprised that Big Fish would release a game with such poor quality, I thought they were more conscientious than that. With all those other wonderful HO games floating around in internet hyperspace, why would they go with one like this? The potential's there, if they'd just cut down on the storyline a bit and check their translation/spelling a little more thoroughly. Since I only had an hour to play, I just started skipping through all the narration so I could play more of the game. Didn't like having to nab those energy balls after every level either, although the other mini-games were enjoyable.

oreo3030
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by oreo3030 on Mar 5, 08 7:38 AM
GinaBean wrote:Wow, what a disappointment this game was. I'm really surprised that Big Fish would release a game with such poor quality, I thought they were more conscientious than that. With all those other wonderful HO games floating around in internet hyperspace, why would they go with one like this? The potential's there, if they'd just cut down on the storyline a bit and check their translation/spelling a little more thoroughly. Since I only had an hour to play, I just started skipping through all the narration so I could play more of the game. Didn't like having to nab those energy balls after every level either, although the other mini-games were enjoyable.

I totally agree. I bought it and am close to the end. The further in you get the worse the story gets. Dialogue that was rambling and incomprehensible to begin with is repeated over and over again pointlessly.

The quality is abysmal and yet the potential was there as you said. BFG needs to screen their new games better than this.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Mar 5, 08 8:59 PM
Ok, now I'm a bit upset and embarrassed. Out of curiosity, I played the demo to Haunted Hotel on my laptop at hubby's office. My laptop has Windows XP on it and not Vista like my home computer.

Half of my review was wrong. It did not run slow & choppy and the picture was clear. I got different objects to find this time and some were a tad harder to find. I guess if I had played the game first on XP, I may have bought it. Altho, the story line is still too long and the mini games are just plan silly.

I have got to rip this Vista off my computer and put XP on it!

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Mar 7, 08 7:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I will definitely email them with suggestions. I do hope they improve on the game since it does have such wonderful potential. I hope they correct more then just spelling mistakes.

EdnaMoles
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

[Post New]by EdnaMoles on Mar 8, 08 4:32 AM
I purchased HH sight unseen, I was so happy at the time to have another HO game. I have Windows XP, not running slow or choppy. I did not care for all the reading, just really wanted to play the game. I agree with everyone regarding the concept.

GinaBean
Manatee
Manatee
4,361 Posts

[Post New]by GinaBean on Mar 11, 08 1:56 PM
Hey everyone, I sent an e-mail to the address that Oreo provided us, and I just received this response today...

Hello Gina,

Thank you for your interest to our game. We have already fixed lots of mistakes. Now there is less text in our game. We have changed mini-games order a bit.

šI have sent newer version of game to BigFish guys yesterday. They should update it soon.

I`ll post on gamezebo when new version is available.

We have spent 13 months of our lives on this game, so we definitely want to make it as good as we can!š

Thank you again for your feedback!

So let's keep our eyes open!

oreo3030
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by oreo3030 on Mar 14, 08 2:33 AM
There is a comment from Maxim that the newer version is now available from BFG. They are still working on improving the game. Think of this as interim. If you played the trial, not sure if you can play again.

Edited on 06/20/2008 at 9:41:09 AM PST

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

Re: Escape the Museum

[Post New]by MURPHY on Mar 24, 08 6:03 PM
Has anyone played or bought Escape the Museum yet? Well worth the money. Objects can be rather small at times, but if you put your pointer on the object your pointer will pulse if its correct. I think this is a great HO game.

EdnaMoles
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

[Post New]by EdnaMoles on Mar 25, 08 5:24 AM
Glad that you are enjoying Escape, have already finished the game and I am playing again , it really is a good game. I enjoyed every minute. Welcome to the HOA club, MURPHY

oreo3030
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by oreo3030 on Mar 25, 08 6:23 PM
GinaBean wrote:Have any of you downloaded and played the updated version of Haunted Hotel? BFG won't let me re-try the game, and I certainly don't want to buy it if the changes aren't worth it.

The first 2 story scenes were still so bad, I quit. Will try again later as I never got to the HOs. If they made inprovements, they weren't to the grammar or clarity of the story.

[Post New]by MontanaDiane on Apr 6, 08 8:31 AM
I purchased Haunted Hotel on 3/24 and it still has tons of grammer and spelling errors. I'm sure the version I have is the original. I certainly hope BF will notify us when the 'cleaned up' version is available. They did it with Pirateville, hope they do with this one as well. I agree with all of the other posters as far as potential and problems. I played through the whole game and felt the ending was very weak.

EdnaMoles
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

[Post New]by EdnaMoles on Apr 6, 08 8:36 AM
I did a live chat a couple of weeks ago to see if there was a updated version of HH or if there was one coming out and they had no information on a update. Yes, I agree with all the inputs on this game also,too too much reading.

Re:Haunted Hotel

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Aug 14, 08 8:11 PM
I have read many of the reviews. In my opinion I don't think that any of the "fixes" have been completed. I have XP and the pictures are very difficult to see. Strange shading. I have to keep moving my laptop screen to see the items better. It is as fairly simple game. As all have said, it has much potential. Story is WAY TO LONG....I like to read the stories and was interested in the idea of the author of the tapes having something to do with Germany. Was this a referral to WWII? Interesting thought. But not interesting enough to buy. When/If the game is updated, I hope that BF will say so on the game site.
Thanks to the authors of the game for trying..but I think that you need to do more work.

[Post New]by goldenpixie1 on Jan 3, 09 3:46 AM
Nice idea, but I agree with the other posters that the story is waaaaaaaay too long. I found myself skipping through the whole story just to get to the game parts.

Collecting the power-ups for the elevator was fun the first 2 times - after that it was just plain annoying.

I did enjoy the HO portion of the game though and the graphics were clear and objects weren't too hard nor too easy to find.

[Post New]by gunnhoneydew on Jan 3, 09 4:05 AM
Has anyone had a problem with trying to get the hidden objects some you can
get the other one it will not let you pick up what is going on. I think it would be
a cool game but I think it still has some problems that need to be fixed.
HELP PLEASE

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Jan 3, 09 3:39 PM
I am also one of the very unhappy with this game. When I checked about an hour ago and read the comments, I thought I would give it a try because one of the creators was posting and I thought it would be great to have a chance to give a critique of the game to the maker. I guess BFG didn't want that since I no longer find his posts. Or at least didn't see them. Anyway, I thought the graphics were not that great. I had a lot of trouble finding some items. In the Einstein room, the scene was too bright. That is easy for me to correct from my keyboard but I know not everyone can do that. If I had to do something more to change the contrast, I would have been very unhappy! The piano room was pretty good but some objects were hard to find such as the mouse and the slippers. The mouse was too small and the slippers matched the background. The piano room was too dark, also, I thought. This is picky, I know, but the outside porch did not match the front of the hotel as seen previously. Maybe it is a side porch! Objects here were also hard to see, including the magpie. I only got as far as I did by using hints. I was counting down and praying to get to five objects so that I could use hints. In the computer room, the matches, the paper clip, and some of the tools were hard to see. Then, the puzzles were far too easy. If I can do a puzzle in two or three steps, it is far too easy. These folks need to pay careful attention to our comments and come out with a better game. I will not waste my money on a game which frustrates me because I cannot see the objects. Make them difficult to find but give us carefully picked scenes with objects hard to find but fair because they are right there if we just look carefully. Please don't make one scene dark and the next too bright so that I have to alter the contrast for each scene. Make them fair and difficult (both objects and puzzles) and you will find all of us lined up to buy your game! Until then: I keep trying to add that my post is in reference to HH 2. I did not see HH 2 where it had been and only saw this thread. I guess I didn't look carefully enough or something. Maybe that is why I can't find hidden objects!

Edited on 03/19/2009 at 11:41:02 AM PST

Kya27
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Kya27 on Jan 3, 09 4:03 PM
I had way to many bugs in my first 5 minutes of the game. The scene would be blank so I had to restart the game every few minutes. Definetly needs some work!

I will probably not be buying this one. There are way better HO games out there!

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Jan 3, 09 4:20 PM
Kya27 wrote:I had way to many bugs in my first 5 minutes of the game. The scene would be blank so I had to restart the game every few minutes. Definetly needs some work!

I will probably not be buying this one. There are way better HO games out there!
Kya, welcome to the Fish Pond. I don't think it is the game. rather an incompatibility between your hardware and the game requirements. If you send your dxdiag file to Tech Support, they'd be able to tell you if you need to update specific drivers, etc.

Go to: