A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 09/02/2015 at 5:14:22 AM PST

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Bathory: The Bloody Countess here

[Post New]by pjplanner on Sep 2, 15 12:50 AM
What do I like about this game? Absolutely nothing !!! The graphics are very poor and dark. There is no logic to the game play. No choice of game mode so sparkles whether you want them or not. Hint system that doesn't help (curser on the door, narrative says its locked. Click on hint and you are told the door is locked - very helpful!). Inventory doesn't lock. Too much hand holding when you don't need it and no help when you do. A pen in the lower left corner is constantly squibbling in a diary which is irritating as hell...... HOS after HOS and objects are difficult to see because of the dull colouring and bad graphics. This has got to be one of the worst BF games ever offered for sale. I can't even tell you about the storyline because, frankly, I don't care. I tried to finish the demo but just couldn't carry on to the end. BF what are you playing at?

mamachi
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by mamachi on Sep 2, 15 1:42 AM
Pjplanner you are absolutely right. This is a very bad game. You come to your sisters empty House and inside there is a broken window but no comments on anything.
No buy

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Sep 2, 15 2:17 AM
These grade school graphics are some of the worst I have ever encountered in a game. The mechanics of game play is no better either. Whatever this is, it has the appearance of something several years old that somebody dug out of the archives and dusted off. Definitely a no buy here

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Sep 2, 15 3:47 AM
The graphics didn't bother me. Although the colors were "dull", they were in keeping with the subject matter. Not a lot of detail, or "effects", but everything was easy to see.

There were many other issues that make this a "no buy" for me. There is a "Help" section that was no help. Nothing it said about game mechanics was true, because nothing worked. There is only one level of difficulty.

The hint button is basically a sound effect, because it never worked the way the Help pages said it should. It didn't take long to fill, I clicked on it EVERY time it filled, I got an actual hint ONCE. In addition, 90% of the time, it took several clicks for it to respond, even though it was "ready".

"Help" said there would be glints or sparkles to indicate active areas. Never saw ANY. The cursor would turn into a magnifying glass once in awhile. The rest of the time was spent clicking on everything to see if something would respond. Picked up quite a few inventory items. Found several places with something to do.

I was able to use four inventory items...two screws for a diary lock that needed three, a wind-up key, and a tap for a faucet. The faucet provided water, but I found no way to use it. I tried a bowl and a towel. The bowl was a "no go". The towel was a "no go", but would not return to the inventory and "floated" on top of it until it just vanished. I needed to make a fire. Had matches and found the "twigs", but had no way to collect the twigs.

USING the inventory items was another guessing game. Sometimes I had to "drag and drop". Sometimes I could click on something and have it "follow" the cursor.

Most of the HOs were played to collect coins. No hint whatsoever about WHY we needed coins. They were revisited several times for more coins or an inventory item that was of no use. Two mini-games, one missing a part I never found.

The lack of sparkles would not have been an issue for me, but according to the "Help", they should have been there. The diary/journal was supposed to "glow" when something was added but I never saw that happen either.

In the end, I had a long list of tasks that I couldn't complete, seven scenes scoured for every possible clue, a hint button that was useless, over 40 coins for...whatever, AND a feeling that NOTHING about this game was worth the trouble.

I suggest you play the demo if, after reading all of the above, you think this game might still have an ounce of fun factor. Happy gaming!

Edited on 09/02/2015 at 4:36:35 AM PST

Nohrah
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Nohrah on Sep 2, 15 4:14 AM

Edited on 09/02/2015 at 5:19:12 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Sep 2, 15 4:50 AM
I just HAVE to add this. I looked at the thumbnail pictures that are shown by the game video, on the game page. I never saw a single one of them. The area available to me was the street, the police station, the yard outside the house, and four rooms inside the house.

With all of those, I was only able to find uses for four inventory items, two used in the same place. Perhaps some of the others could have been used? I just don't know. Most of the features that were supposed to work...didn't. For all I know, some of the inventory items were supposed to work too.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Sep 2, 15 5:15 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Bathory: The Bloody Countess here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Bathory: The Bloody Countess.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

marypenn
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by marypenn on Sep 2, 15 5:17 AM
I did not find this game as terrible as others did. I, eventually, got the twigs, used the water, found the castle. I do not feel this is a good game but the demo did pass some time. I will keep it on file to get when I am desperate.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 2, 15 6:06 AM
well another game i probably won't try because of the reviews. They save me time but then again, I do get curious and usually end up downloading the demo. Happy gaming fishes.

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Sep 2, 15 6:17 AM
I'm with marypenn - I didn't think it was that bad - just very, very different. I might hang on to it for a punch perhaps.

At the end of the trial I had just about worked out what was going on!

queenjanis
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by queenjanis on Sep 2, 15 6:28 AM
This is one of the worst games that I have ever played. It is awful, there is nothing, absolutely nothing good about it. Someone really dropped the ball on this one. I could have done better myself.

tictacsix
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by tictacsix on Sep 2, 15 7:20 AM
9otters

Just to let you know, the thumbnail pictures are in the game.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 2, 15 9:28 AM
Don't let the reviews stop you from trying the demo. Doesn't cost anything and who knows, you might like it.
That being said, I thought the game was a waste of bandwidth. Graphic were not bad, but the interface is clunky and unintuitive.
IS it worth $3.99? Only you can be the judge of that. For me it's a no.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Sep 2, 15 12:14 PM
tictacsix said,

9otters

Just to let you know, the thumbnail pictures are in the game.

LOLOL! Good to know!

I actually WOULD have used a pcc for this game...IF things had worked like the HELP section said they were supposed to. The unresponsive hint button, the "ghostly" floating, disappearing towel...sometimes magnifying glass, MOST of the time not. Too many little "issues".

I don't mind having to figure things out on my own, but when the game mechanics are iffy, I have to step away. The only directional arrow I saw pointed to the bathroom. Wait a sec. I also briefly caught sight of arrows pointing to the bedroom and the kitchen at the same time. This was after I had already been there several times.

I also think the game would have been better served by labeling it as an Adventure game. For me, it has THAT level of having to figure things out for yourself.

Edited on 09/02/2015 at 12:30:27 PM PST

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Sep 2, 15 1:06 PM
If a game has even one HO scene then it's not an adventure game, it's a HOG.

I love playing adventure games way more than HOGs so when I see one available I get excited. But, if a HOG is mislabeled as adventure, then I end up disappointed that I'm not getting the game I was expecting. On top of that, I'm irritated since I have to download and start playing the game before the error in labeling is even detected.

I'm glad to see that Bathory - The Bloody Countess has been labeled properly.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Sep 2, 15 1:39 PM
GameLvr30 said,

If a game has even one HO scene then it's not an adventure game, it's a HOG.

One of my all-time favorites, Timeless: the Lost Castle, is labeled as "Adventure". Quite the adventure...with HOGs. Thus, you can see my confusion.

GameLvr30 has been swimming these waters MUCH longer than I have. So, naturally, I will defer to the Stingray. Thank you for the education.

Sooo...cannot, properly, call it "Adventure"...

Then, I will say that Bathory: the Bloody Countess has a quality not unlike an adventure game, where you have to figure out many things on your own.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Sep 2, 15 1:44 PM
no buy for me. horrible game

patchesandme
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,164 Posts

[Post New]by patchesandme on Sep 2, 15 2:20 PM
I am loving this game. I just finished the demo. I don't even mind the pen opening the journal and writing stuff down which says a lot for me.

I always use my system cursor so can't comment on the cursor in the game.

HOS are either to get coins or to get an inventory item. The coins are for if you wish to skip a puzzle and don't want to wait for the fill meter to fill. I would take it it works the same way for the hints. Didn't try it. Also since there is a store one will have to buy things. Didn't get that far in the demo so I will have to see.

To scroll area right click and hold and scroll from left to right or vise versa. Same as in mirror puzzle. You have to scroll down to finish it.

This may sound silly but I really got a kick out of it. When I turned on the hot water faucet in the bathroom after using it I got to turn it back off. It always has bugged me with most other games that this could not be done.

The game is downloading as I write this. Will take advantage of the sale and save game coupon for another day.

Happy gaming everyone.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Sep 2, 15 5:53 PM
Great little game to use a free game credit on AND a great little game!

Oh, I'm so hurt that some people are just so darn mean and are saying such horrible things about the game..LOL!

Go to: